I've spent the last couple of weeks - almost every waking hour - doing a massive overhaul of Modern Vespa's HTML and CSS code. The goal is to squeeze the whole site - or, at least, the bulk of it - into a form that will fit on a mobile phone. This has been... well, it's not a fun process, let's put it that way. I am neck deep in code changes, bleary-eyed and exhausted, and I need to draw the line somewhere. There are an endless number of little things that still need changing (and a few big ones!) but I am releasing it as it stands right now, warts and all.
I'm sure I will spend the next couple of weeks fixing the things I broke
This change primarily affects members using Android devices, but it was necessary to change the desktop version of the site as well. In fact, the two are one and the same - Android and desktop users will get identical content from the server, but it will look different on Android. As there is a whole lot of cruft in this forum, the process of making it fit on a mobile device is mostly one of removing cruft. The smaller the screen, the more content gets surgically removed from the page, until it (mostly) fits.
EDIT: The old iOS support has been switched off. We are all seeing the same version of the website now.
There are some changes to the desktop version, as some of the older page layout just was not amenable to shrinking down to mobile phone size. The message posting page, for instance, is completely revamped. Lots of other smaller changes around the site as well.
I have focused here on the pages that people use the most: the main index, the forum index, posts, posting, private messages, login, and so on. Pages that I haven't addressed will only shrink down so far (550 pixels, to be precise) before you have to pinch to see the whole page. The Search page is a beast, and I have not addressed it yet. It will still be wide (and difficult to use) on mobile.
Generally, if something looks bad (or too wide) on mobile, you can still turn your phone sideways and get a proper-width page. That's a compromise that we will have to live with for the time being, until I address the remainder of the pages that need revamping. Some pages may never get there.
There shouldn't be too many actual behavior changes, maybe none. The code I've been working on is mostly layout, not process. Still, anything is possible, and I've been wrong before. Once. In 1974. So it could happen again, I guess.
If you see something (especially layout) that looks significantly broken, post it here in this thread. Screen shots are helpful, if you can get them.
Please don't tell me about the emoticon insertion behavior on Chrome. I know, I know already. I'm not fixing it. Well, not this week, anyway. Next week doesn't look much better.
⚠️ Last edited by jess on Tue, 08 Jun 2021 02:44:51 +0000; edited 2 times