OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hello all

can anyone say for sure which of the junction boxes on the market has more room within and more channels in them so that I can run some extra wires through it.

I assume the locating spigot is the same for all models and will fit a 150 sprint/super?

Are the ring terminal types favoured over the spade terminal ones?

All tips appreciated!

cheers

RDS
@rowdyc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge

Molto Verboso
@rowdyc avatar
GL, PK, PE200 with hack, Sears Rust Badge
UTC quote
Should have enough room and terminals for most setups. What are you trying to do? Add 6v regulators or convert to 12V?

Ring terminals where in most pre P series bike and P's had spade connectors.

BTW, if you are still working on the electrical problems from your original thread, it prob best to keep it in that same thread. Easier for others to provide assistants when there is history.

Good luck

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Box for 70's Sprint/Super/Rally has 5 terminals ... will fit most earlier large frames. Ring terminals are standard.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Cheers rowdyc and Socalguy

I've not added this question to the original thread because this is essentially a stand alone question that will show up better on any search for anyone wanting to know and not wishing to trawl through the other thread. However yes it is related to the original question. I have had to shelve the bike to deal with other more pressing things but hopefully can spend some time (between all the other stuff we have to do) to get this running better.

The questions asked in the posts are apposite: I am torn between fixing the system as it is or going straight to a 12v conversion. I am leaning toward fixing it as it is for now so that I know what has been resolved and what has not. In due course, I may convert to 12v.

I appreciate all the pros and cons of installing vs not installing regulators but that is my idea for now for a temporary test. The more capacious terminal block will help here but mine seems to be the PX spade type and though the ring-terminal type will most likely give the most positive connections, there is a fly in the ointment here - see below.

That fly is that I am not happy with the wiring loom at all. Stripping wires (even though they look relatively recent) is proving difficult: the sheathing does not slice nicely and then the few threads or wire within also get cut or give way quickly. Yes I get that a full re-wire is the best bet but I need to see what mechanical problems there are on a shake down period before embarking on an endless task.

In preparation for the inevitable, I have sourced a flywheel locking tool and puller but not a loom. I will probably start a sperate thread as to the best quality etc loom currently available.

Cheers

RDS
@popgunandy avatar
UTC

Hooked
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100

Hooked
@popgunandy avatar
61 VBB 76 Rally 200 79 P200 80 Sport 100
UTC quote
Have you thought about a local non-Vespa shop that can handle the electrical for you? I've had luck with motorcycle shops and classic car mechanics that are experienced with delicate wiring situations. If you give them a homemade schematic of what you want they can take responsible for the delicacy of the stripping and joining...I agree that old Vespa wiring is tricky to strip properly. This assumes of course that you're working with the original loom nd not a replacement.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks popgunandy; yes that is a good fall-back position but I think this is solvable with the kind assistance of the seasoned old hands on this great site. Plus, that is part of the "fun".....

cheers

RDS
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0324s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0049s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]