OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
Hi guys I am new to the forum. I have a problem with my 09 piaggio 400 ie. It keeps cutting off when it low throttles between 1 & 2 rpm's mostly when I come to a stop, it throttles down then cuts off. I recently changed the oil, oil filter, spark plug and just cleaned and lubed my air filter with F1 air filter spray on oil. I 1st thought it was my air filter because it was dry and its not supposed to be. I fixed that today and there was minimal change. Even when I start my bike it idles well for a couple seconds, then the needle starts to bounce up and down like its being starved of air. It rides fine while I'm driving I only have this problem when I slow down or am at a stand still. I run out of ideas and am unsure what to do, it only has about 8,000 miles on it and im stumped. My stabilizer also honks at me when engage it 70% of the time. Can someone please help or have any ideas of what's wrong and how I can fix the cutting off problem. Its my means of transportation and for work.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
How old is the battery? IF it is more than 2-3 years old, try a new battery first.

BUT before swapping batteries, use a multimeter to determine how much voltage you see at idle with the engine at full operating temp. It should be around 13Volt and should jump up to around 14.5V as soon as you apply throttle.

Below 12.5V at idle, you're gonna have running issues at low rpms.

Also be sure to check the battery terminals are tight and clean of any corrosion a.k.a. green death.
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
UTC quote
Search for posts on cleaning your throttle body to solve the idle problems.

If the tilt-lock is being fussy it may need fluid added to the reservoir or to be bled with fresh fluid. Or both.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Sounds like you need to clean the idle bypass in the throttle body.
https://cheekythoma3.wixsite.com/itsme/idle

Don't worry it's about the GTS - it's almost identical in the 400.
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
Hi guys, so after taking your advice about the battery, I went to go have it tested. It was low. I had it charged to full power, came home put it in and rode for a little while and the cutting off stopped. Thanks a lot. I also ordered a new battery through scooterwest.com, not wanting to chance how long that charge would last. They have almost everything for piaggio mp3's. If you're having any problems finding the right stuff or parts for quick fixes they'll more than likely have what you need. I'm mobile again which is great but I'll feel better when my new battery gets here today. Thanks guys I really appreciate all your help. Now I just gotta get that stabilizer to stop honking and I'm good to go lol.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Before you install that new battery, make sure you add the battery acid pack and let it sit for at least 1 hour. Put in the plastic sealing strip, then use a smart charger (like a Optimate4) at no more than 1Amp rating overnight (8-12hours).

If you skip the rest & charging steps a.k.a. drop in and go you can kiss at least 25% of your new battery lifespan goodbye at the 1st crank.
OP
UTC

Piaggio mp3 400ie

Piaggio mp3 400ie
UTC quote
sbaert

Wow that's good to know. I already added the battery acid about 20 mins ago and had planning on charging it as well. So thanks I appreciate, I didn't know though that it would depreciate the lifespan. I always take the better safe than sorry approach when it comes to my vehicles, just for peace of mind while I'm on the road. I live in the desert in las vegas so breaking down in the summer out here can be a health risk depending on where you are, so I don't skip steps lol.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0556s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0312s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]