OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Hi everyone. New to forum. I am a 5’3” gal with a 29” inseam. I have been riding my 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super for several years. Here is my question. I cannot flat foot at a stop. I normally scooch forward to end of seat and can be on both balls of my feet or flat foot one side at a stop. To back up, I cannot do it while on the bike, I have to manually back it up while standing and then get on the bike. I have had two fall overs losing my footing while doing that. I’d like to be on the bike and back up out of parking spots etc. Right now, I scoot in Merrell boots that have great flexibility. I have been considering changing to Dr Martens Jadon platform boots or even the 2” max platform boot for extra height. However, they don’t seem flexible. What are your thoughts? I have no problems riding at all. It’s the more connection to ground stops and backing up I’d like to address. Thanks for your input!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Try asking a cobbler if a thicker sole can be added to your existing comfy boots. Yes, a thicker sole would alter your boots a bit but it might be worth the change.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Welcome.
Are you using the standard saddle? If so, for the cost of those boots it could be worth a trip to an upholstery shop for a lowering and reshaping job. A friend of mine is having his redone by a local shop for $200.
One seat doesn't fit all. I'm 6 foot 5 and modify my saddles to sit back.
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Topolino wrote:
Welcome.
Are you using the standard saddle? If so, for the cost of those boots it could be worth a trip to an upholstery shop for a lowering and reshaping job. A friend of mine is having his redone by a local shop for $200.
One seat doesn't fit all. I'm 6 foot 5 and modify my saddles to sit back.
My hubs is anti altering the seat. He’s a purist… :-/
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
ChefCK wrote:
Then the question is, does he ride it? If so, it's understandable on a shared ride, the boots are on the right track. If not, alter that bad boy! It's about your safety, not his personal astetics.

Besides, altering a seat doesn't have to alter the looks. They only lower the height and narrow the width a touch, no appreciable change in appearance can be detected without side-by-side comparisons to an original saddle.
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Then the question is, does he ride it? If so, it's understandable on a shared ride, the boots are on the right track. If not, alter that bad boy! It's about your safety, not his personal astetics.

Besides, altering a seat doesn't have to alter the looks. They only lower the height and narrow the width a touch, no appreciable change in appearance can be detected without side-by-side comparisons to an original saddle.
We have matching GTS so we switch at times. Although one tends to be faster than the other (I use the faster one to keep up with him lol)
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
ChefCK wrote:
Don't alter the seat you have, you can buy a used seat & shave off a few inches of the foam yourself or have an upholsterer remove the foam and put in a. thinner one. Either way you can have a modified seat and keep the original.
If hubby wants to ride he swaps the seat out if he wants to or not, the rule would be to leave the scooter the way he found it, thus if he swaps seats he will put your seat back on and if he used 1/2 a tank of gas then he fills it up.
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
Just sayin Laughing emoticon
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
My Icon Stormhawks probably make me at least an inch taller, although I could flat foot fine without them.

If it were me, I'd take a look at the Rokker Urban Racer, which are bar none the nicest boots I've ever seen. Their only deficiency is that they don't have a zipper or BOA for quick removal. Then, I'd take them to a cobbler to make the sole the correct height.

Those should last a long, long time.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
ChefCK wrote:
I cannot flat foot at a stop. I normally scooch forward to end of seat and can be on both balls of my feet or flat foot one side at a stop.
Wha? emoticon Vespas ARE for everyone.
UTC

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3

Hooked
2020 Piaggio Liberty S 150, 2016 Vespa GTV300ie, 2009 Yamaha C3
UTC quote
I feel your pain... I'm 5'2" and, while I have no idea my actual inseam, I can tell you that I'm hobbit-shaped and I don't own a pair of pants that aren't hemmed, lol! I definitely can't flat-foot it either, ever. I can literally tiptoe both feet (toes, not balls), or I can *almost* flatfoot one side at stops. I absolutely cannot back it up unless I'm backing on a decline and gravity is in my favor. I have no shame and will get off to walk it into place if I need to.

Your hub's concerns over "aesthetics" is garbage. Unless it's a 100% shared scooter and he doesn't have access to another one (which he does), then he can suck rocks rather than decree what you may or may not need to do for your own rider safety. That would be like telling a passenger to not wear a seat belt in their convertible because it wouldn't "look sexy" or some such nonsense. Pfft!

Corbin makes REALLY lovely, high-quality lowered seats for many Vespas, in an endless assortment of materials. You could get a seat at the height you need, and keep your original seat if Hubby McFussy-Britches must Maintain All Things Original.

As for the platform boots-- I went that route too, then opted to just stick with my Merrell hiking boots. The platforms weren't comfortable enough as regular footwear to wear and walk around when non-scooting, and I did not feel like having to pack a pair of comfy shoes with me anytime we went for a ride where walking would be involved.

Now if you can find a pair of COMFY platforms?? Have at it!
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I also have a 29" inseam though I'm a guy which means proportions are different. I can not flat foot the GTS either though I can place the front half of each foot on the ground. I purchased one of the Vespa solo gel seats which are a bit lower than the standard seat. It improved my stance on the ground, is quite comfortable, and looks good. Switching seats back and forth is easy. Maybe that approach would attract less criticism from your riding partner .
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Spirovision wrote:
Just sayin Laughing emoticon
Honestly I’ve looked at stuff like that but you can’t bend your foot hahah
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
I also have a 29" inseam though I'm a guy which means proportions are different. I can not flat foot the GTS either though I can place the front half of each foot on the ground. I purchased one of the Vespa solo gel seats which are a bit lower than the standard seat. It improved my stance on the ground, is quite comfortable, and looks good. Switching seats back and forth is easy. Maybe that approach would attract less criticism from your riding partner .
I’ll look into that!
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
Don't alter the seat you have, you can buy a used seat & shave off a few inches of the foam yourself or have an upholsterer remove the foam and put in a. thinner one. Either way you can have a modified seat and keep the original.
If hubby wants to ride he swaps the seat out if he wants to or not, the rule would be to leave the scooter the way he found it, thus if he swaps seats he will put your seat back on and if he used 1/2 a tank of gas then he fills it up.
I’ll chat with the hubs about this. Thanks!
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
My Icon Stormhawks probably make me at least an inch taller, although I could flat foot fine without them.

If it were me, I'd take a look at the Rokker Urban Racer, which are bar none the nicest boots I've ever seen. Their only deficiency is that they don't have a zipper or BOA for quick removal. Then, I'd take them to a cobbler to make the sole the correct height.

Those should last a long, long time.
I’ll look into those. Thanks!
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
cnvh wrote:
I feel your pain... I'm 5'2" and, while I have no idea my actual inseam, I can tell you that I'm hobbit-shaped and I don't own a pair of pants that aren't hemmed, lol! I definitely can't flat-foot it either, ever. I can literally tiptoe both feet (toes, not balls), or I can *almost* flatfoot one side at stops. I absolutely cannot back it up unless I'm backing on a decline and gravity is in my favor. I have no shame and will get off to walk it into place if I need to.

Your hub's concerns over "aesthetics" is garbage. Unless it's a 100% shared scooter and he doesn't have access to another one (which he does), then he can suck rocks rather than decree what you may or may not need to do for your own rider safety. That would be like telling a passenger to not wear a seat belt in their convertible because it wouldn't "look sexy" or some such nonsense. Pfft!

Corbin makes REALLY lovely, high-quality lowered seats for many Vespas, in an endless assortment of materials. You could get a seat at the height you need, and keep your original seat if Hubby McFussy-Britches must Maintain All Things Original.

As for the platform boots-- I went that route too, then opted to just stick with my Merrell hiking boots. The platforms weren't comfortable enough as regular footwear to wear and walk around when non-scooting, and I did not feel like having to pack a pair of comfy shoes with me anytime we went for a ride where walking would be involved.

Now if you can find a pair of COMFY platforms?? Have at it!
I hear ya on having a set of shoes in the case. I am trying some dr martens. I thought about the Frankenstein 2” platform all the way across but hey I’m 61! Lol. Looking at these and ordered them on Amazon to try on (at least they look cool). My Merrells are so comfy and have not let me down as well as being 5 years old! We only scoot when we are RV’ing not daily. I’ll look into the Vespa gel seats and Corbin too. I don’t ride at all in the winter so this gives me a lot to think about and investigate.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Hey if you are going to go tall then go big as well. Gene Simmons approved. Laughing emoticon
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Hey if you are going to go tall then go big as well. Gene Simmons approved. Laughing emoticon
HA! Last night my husband bought tickets to see KISS (or what's left of them) with our eldest son next month.
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Hahahahaha….NO!
@okcgravity avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 2012 GTS Super 300

Hooked
@okcgravity avatar
Vespa 2012 GTS Super 300
UTC quote
Man, I would kill for a 29" inseam. I'm 5'6" but have a long torso and probably 26" inseam. I point my shoes down and touch tiptoes on both sides at light, or lean over on the ball of my foot. I never move the bike while on it, I always have to do so while walking beside it, pull it out of the parking spot, then climb on.

I am comfortable with this tiptoe lifestyle, probably helps that I am heavy guy not over powered by the weight of the bike.

I have a pair of platform shoes I use for parades, where there will be a lot of touching the ground, but I honestly hate them, and would never use them on a daily bases. I just feel like since I don't walk with platforms all the time, I am not as used to them, and sometimes i feel like when I put a foot out to one side, my chance of rolling that ankle is a little higher due to the platform.

I agree with other posters here, if your not comfortable, lower the seat. Get a shorter one, make yours shorter, who cares. Safety should always be first.
To quote the Macklemore song downtown, I "tiptoe through the streets like ballet".
To quote the Macklemore song downtown, I "tiptoe through the streets like ballet".
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
I can't comment on the boots, but I can comment on backing out of a parking space...

I always back into a parking space.

Parking with the front wheel up the slope prevents the bike riding forward off a main stand or side stand and creating a drop-down. I have been doing that with all my much taller and heavier BMW boxers for over 25 years.

I am also short in the leg so with my 1200GS I would put the bike on the side stand before getting off and standing beside it to use the centre stand.
I reverse the process to leave - stand beside the bike and get it off the centre stand and onto the side stand. Then I mount, lift off the side stand, click it back to start and ride off.

Backing in is even more useful with MV's as they have no manual gearbox to engage gear as a parking brake.
OP
@chefck avatar
UTC

GTS 300 Super

@chefck avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
I can't comment on the boots, but I can comment on backing out of a parking space...

I always back into a parking space.

Parking with the front wheel up the slope prevents the bike riding forward off a main stand or side stand and creating a drop-down. I have been doing that with all my much taller and heavier BMW boxers for over 25 years.

I am also short in the leg so with my 1200GS I would put the bike on the side stand before getting off and standing beside it to use the centre stand.
I reverse the process to leave - stand beside the bike and get it off the centre stand and onto the side stand. Then I mount, lift off the side stand, click it back to start and ride off.

Backing in is even more useful with MV's as they have no manual gearbox to engage gear as a parking brake.
I’ll remember this cuz my last glamorous fall was backing out
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0287s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0140s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]