@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
It's not a Vespa and the styling is not so retro. 2005, 2800 miles, Looks mint and well maintained. Asking $2900.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I loved my X9 500s. Brilliant for attacking the twisties or long-distance rides. The longest single ride I did was just under 800 miles from the south of France to London. Very comfy, you can ride 'feet forward', tons of storage space, etc etc.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
and 470 pounds. Oh my.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
the X9 is one of the best handling bikes that Piaggio made. and like jim said it's super comfy to ride.

however, stateside it's a giant pain to get parts for.

the master series motor is smooth AF but kinda sucks maintenance wise and working on anything X series sucks donkey balls because you gotta pull everything to do anything.

the BV350 is kind of, like, the evolution to that bike.

but eight ways from Sunday I'd take an X-series with that BV350 motor in it!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
It's Achilles heel was its 'Digidash'. Everything went through that, and if you inadvertently shorted out any lightbulb, it would fry the fusible link that they used to tell the circuit was working. So all of a sudden no turn signal, or brake light. Mendable, if you were au fait with electronics (so I was OK) but otherwise a huge expense to replace.

The Eu ones had an electrically operated hydraulic centre-stand, and that relied on a host of relays and safety switches to work correctly. These electrics being Italian, and the harnesses made in small family workshops, meant the centre-stand often wouldn't work, and that version had no side lever to operate manually... But the US ones didn't have that, so that's one gotcha out of the way.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
It's Achilles heel was its 'Digidash'. Everything went through that, and if you inadvertently shorted out any lightbulb, it would fry the fusible link that they used to tell the circuit was working. So all of a sudden no turn signal, or brake light. Mendable, if you were au fait with electronics (so I was OK) but otherwise a huge expense to replace.

my god... I had eliminated that from my mind via some type of dealer days PTSD... woof.

the other was the tires. at the time, because of the size only Piaggio supplied them and they were only Michelin gold standards and were like, a million bucks. I'm sure there's other options now, but still, having to make those calls. yes, hello it's going to be a bajillion dollars to replace your tire. and also, your front brakes are roached, that's another whole bag of cash. bring the bank robber one with the dollar sign on it.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
my god... I had eliminated that from my mind via some type of dealer days PTSD... woof.

the other was the tires. at the time, because of the size only Piaggio supplied them and they were only Michelin gold standards and were like, a million bucks. I'm sure there's other options now, but still, having to make those calls. yes, hello it's going to be a bajillion dollars to replace your tire. and also, your front brakes are roached, that's another whole bag of cash. bring the bank robber one with the dollar sign on it.
Could you not get the tyres from the usual Michelin sources? They were reasonably priced in the UK. Only lasted 4,000 miles mark you, but they were good for their time.

The X9's body was fine-tuned in wind-tunnel tests, so the top speed of the 125 was ~70mph and the top speed of the 500 was over 100 (gps, not speedo!). A friend of mine was clocked at 112 mph at Brands Hatch on a trackday.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Another problem was with the mirrors. If they got knocked the plastic stalks could easily break, and the only way to mend them was to use epoxy and glue them rigid, so no turning them out of the way when parking etc.

But they were the bees knees for riding in all conditions.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Could you not get the tyres from the usual Michelin sources? They were reasonably priced in the UK. Only lasted 4,000 miles mark you, but they were good for their time.

The X9's body was fine-tuned in wind-tunnel tests, so the top speed of the 125 was ~70mph and the top speed of the 500 was over 100 (gps, not speedo!). A friend of mine was clocked at 112 mph at Brands Hatch on a trackday.
stateside, no. they had a contract wherein Piaggio was the only supplier for the first two years. much like the ET/LX and what not with Pirelli. I could get anything I wanted from my suppliers at the time, and we were a cooking dealership, but I couldn't get specific tires because of the contracts or "back room agreements". I could get things that were close, but not things that were "right".

but yeah man, x9's burned rear tires like a mofo. fast as polished steel, but maintenance nightmares. just so, so many brake discs and pads....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
stateside, no. they had a contract wherein Piaggio was the only supplier for the first two years. much like the ET/LX and what not with Pirelli. I could get anything I wanted from my suppliers at the time, and we were a cooking dealership, but I couldn't get specific tires because of the contracts or "back room agreements". I could get things that were close, but not things that were "right".

but yeah man, x9's burned rear tires like a mofo. fast as polished steel, but maintenance nightmares. just so, so many brake discs and pads....
Ah - that sort of monopoly arrangement would have been illegal in the UK. Gold Standards were used on other bikes too.

The problem with the brakes was that riders tended to use the left brake lever, which operated both the back and front brakes in a proportional manner, making for a smoother stop than many could accomplish using the front brake; diving etc. Poorly trained riders would rattle through rear brake pads. Luckily the 500's could have those changed with the wheel still on - though not all techs spotted this possibility!
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
I had one but the ergonomics were not to my liking. Good power too, but make sure the recall on the fuel system is completed.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
A Burgman 400 is better...
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
the X9 is one of the best handling bikes that Piaggio made.
One of the best, but the Nexus from the Gilera line was their best ever...

As for the X9 the OP asked, I had a 200 Evo and then moved to the 500 Evo / ABS (last alteration they made). Great touring scooter, nightmare to work on, especially when it was valve adjustment time (engine drop). Had two dashes and the ABS unit replaced under warranty (first dash got water in it and second just died). As Jim said without a working dash, you lose a lot of functions, especially the indicators and brake lights. Mirrors, were also easy to break (had the left one just drop by itself) and expensive to replace. Overall, loved it and hated it at the same time...

P.S. Lots of discontinued parts for the X9s, especially the dash...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0159s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0060s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]