@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
It's a down the rabbit hole day today. Decided to go after my lagging center stand which would go up.... eventually, but no longer snap up like it should.

The bolt came out rusty, and I suspect that was the pivot as the bushing is in there firmly. I searched a bit, and IIRC it was greasy that recently referred to a BFH and heat. I've banged on it, and heated a bit with my propane torch, but decided discretion being the better part of valor, I'd ask here before getting carried away.

Questions: Assuming propane torch is fine, how hot can you go. I was able to see some grease boiling out and decided that was perhaps enough....but perhaps not.

As for banging on it, I'm not sure the ideal tool....the punch used for the bolt is too small for the force needed...I tried a bolt/nut combo which sort of worked (and centered the nut over the sleeve nicely, but wonder if there's a less creative and more effective tool.

Meanwhile, I noticed abrasion on my coolant hose near the water pump which I've seen the FACO crash bar attachments blamed for, though I don't see enough proximity between the two. Regardless, looks like a new hose is in order. I think it's okay for now, but definitely a weak spot and not worth the risk.

I also decided to remove the exhaust for easier access to the center stand attachment, noticed that the exhaust bushing was split (weird, it seems...I'd just installed a new (non-Piaggio) one last time I had it off 10 months ago. And looking at the rust spots, decided it needed a repaint while I was at it.

So my one hour project may last me a week the way it's going.

I did manage to pop off an O-ring so far. Has anyone had luck finding a hardware store replacement, or is it necessary to get a proper OEM replacement?
⚠️ Last edited by fledermaus on UTC; edited 1 time
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Since the bolt is out, the centerstand appears that it should be able to come completely off.

Can you not undo the springs, then just pull the centerstand off?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I'm guessing that you're trying to get the pivot bush out?

if so, in a pinch, a socket on an extension will work. pro tip: turn the socket around so that the ass end of it takes the force. if you go face first, you'll ruin the socket.

like life: heat, lube, pressure and angle of attack should get you there. rinse and repeat as necessary.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
As for the O rings, you should be fine with a box set of different sizes. NBR or EPM are generally standard materials used. I haven't changed O rings on the vespa as of yet.
But I do believe as long as the O ring meets the spec you are fine with non OEM ones.
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Madison ..stand is off. Greasy has it...its the pivot bushing that's quite uncooperative. I'll try the socket. Guess I can't do too much damage.

So, how hot can I heat things?

BTW, went shopping in the meanwhile, found O rings in a very depleted parts drawer, so I'm good in that department. Out of VHT paint though. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
Madison ..stand is off. Greasy has it...its the pivot bushing that's quite uncooperative. I'll try the socket. Guess I can't do too much damage.

So, how hot can I heat things?

BTW, went shopping in the meanwhile, found O rings in a very depleted parts drawer, so I'm good in that department. Out of VHT paint though. Crying or Very sad emoticon
Personally I'd not use any heat. Keep in mind, there is a pretty big gap between the bushing and the frame around it (it is nowhere near a press fit, at least as new...). The orings are there ostensibly to keep oil/grease in the gap.

I guess lubing up my center stands goes on the list for next weekend....

Which in pre-retro-spect could become famous last words. ROFL emoticon
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
That sucker is pretty tight though....guess I'll do more banging on it....

In hindsight....I took the sleazy way out a year or so ago when it was sticky by spraying some lubricant at it....which helped significantly, but considering the current situation, it would have been easier sorting it sooner. Certainly not going to neglect maintenance in that department again.....if it wasn't for the springs, it would be worth doing proactively. Nerd emoticon
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
I GOT IT! Socket trick was a big help...keeping the bolt in helped align it before the hole helped center it. Wound up with some deformation on the ends but cleaned that up and buffed it and (almost) good as new.

Now to clean out the hole. Any suggestions? Hopefully the hardware store has something....
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
wipe it clean, then degrease it, I think brake cleaner spray would do the trick and then even a wire wheel on a drill may clean it nicely, wipe it dwn before you grease it back up.
Key is to get the surface clean and dry, then grease it as per the requirements.
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Doesn't look like there's any grease....though perhaps some residue. Guess a shot of degreaser is a good start...
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
Seems like Ace Hardware have as good a supply of specialty parts like bushing as almost any other hardware store in town. However, yours will be a metric size so I'm not sure they will have that. You may have to get it from a dealer/Scooterwest/MotoVista/Amazon...

Miguel
OP
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Just as a follow-up...I finally took time to reassemble the center stand. Pivots like a charm. Waiting for a rubber stop on the port side...after testing it I figure out my problem with breaking the rear brake line support- without the rubber stop it snaps right onto the metal strap! Duh.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]