OP
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I have a chance to pick one up as a partial payment for some side work. I refreshed/restored a few 2T Vespas, worked on a few ET4/LX150S, and also work on all sorts of motorcycles on weekends, but don't know anything about the Piaggio BV250 except that it shares the engine with the Vespa250. It's a 2008 model with about 8,000 miles, needs tires and I'm assuming belt and rollers, oil and coolant change, etc....All opinions appreciated, thx.
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
YES, I had a 2007 BV250 and it was one of the best scooters I have ever owned. The 16 inch wheels make for a much better ride and the whole package is brilliant.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Enthusiast
mp3 500 2018 (USA-version)

Enthusiast
mp3 500 2018 (USA-version)
UTC quote
I have had a BV250 in my garage for 5 years. I drove 50,000 km. Great scooter!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
If the maintenance was well done it's ok, I had the 250 Cruiser version and never had any problems.
OP
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Thanks for the responses so far. I am already figuring about $450 - $500 in parts alone. It has been garaged its whole life near the ocean, so I would probably check all electrical connections for corrosion. The only concern I may have at this point would be removing the rear wheel as it looks like it has never been removed and I'm guessing some of the bolts are galled and locked up. Dealing with seared off bolts isn't fun.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I have been around here for a long time and I cannot recall much in the way of problems or negative comments about the BV's.
OP
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
I have been around here for a long time and I cannot recall much in the way of problems or negative comments about the BV's.
Well, honestly, neither have I. There just is not many around where I live, so I have never worked on one. I have done searches on here, but have not found many complaints with exception of the lack of under seat storage.
Meanwhile, other than owning a few older Vespas and coming mainly from a motorcycle back round, the BV models make a lot of sense to me with the bigger 16" wheels.
@gotmojo avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300, BV250

Hooked
@gotmojo avatar
GTS 300, BV250
UTC quote
I tore down and rebuilt one for the cannonball. Made it through mostly ok. Great scooter platform, IMO.

For the most part you can follow any and all instructions for a GTS250 or aprilia Sportcity as far as the engine is concerned. Only difference is the longer case (and belt). There are a lot of plastics that need to be removed to access the frame. It's a PITA but not terribly difficult. Take it slow and you won't break too much of it.

Use a good #2 JIS and you should be good to go for most of it. (Vessel Megadora 100mm #2). Seized/corroded bolts haven't been an issue but I live in an area with low humidity, even though I'm close to the ocean. Heat is your friend.

You can read about all the gory details in my thread on ADVRider https://advrider.com/f/threads/omg-ponies.1384683/
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
I owned an Aprilia SportCity for a number of years. Like the BV, it shared the GTS engine. It was a great touring scooter in my opinion. My only complaints were that it was orphaned after Piaggio/Aprilia discontinued the larger Aprilia scooters (which didn't affect most mechanical parts but made plastic panels and some non-shared components difficult to obtain), and it was necessary to remove some plastic panels for most servicing. The inevitable result of repeatedly removing and replacing panels was that some of the tabs on the panels would break through time and panel fit was compromised.
OP
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Well, I want to thank everyone that commented, but it's not going to happen. When the owner found out that I was crazy over everything with 2 wheels, he suggested trading the scooter as a form of payment for the work I was doing on his house. I mentioned before that it need tires, parts, etc... rolling in around $450 - $500 or so. I figured the scoot, as is, was worth about $1800. He told me today he would not sell or trade unless he got $2800 to $3000 for it, so I'm out, There are better deals out there. Thanks for reading.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0120s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]