@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
So I am springboarding off my last post: Vespa sputtering. Belt? Carb? Clutch? Cursed?

which basically was issues I was having and it wound up being valves.

I adjusted the valves and they wont stay adjusted first time it took a day the second time it took much less time, but the exhaust valve went out of wack again, not by much, but we know how liittle a valve has to be off for it to not run properly, if at all

The last ride I did i made it to my destination going 20km/hr and then it wouldnt start. I may adjust the valves for a third time today, not like it'll help. but assuming it doesnt stay in place, here are my querstions;

wtf causes valve to not stay adjusted? is this a big job?

If I need to pay a shopare we talking 2-3 hours? in which case I am wondering it I should just go all out and do a 190 kit while I am at it.

Its not air0tite logic, but the idea of spending $1000+ for an improved et4 sounds better than $500 for just getting my bike back[/url]
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Usually if they won’t stay set (and you did it properly) you’ve got something that’s going away. Cam, rocker or valve seat.

I’d open it back up and have a close look and see what you’ve got cooking.
@kaukari avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 ABS, 2018

Hooked
@kaukari avatar
GTS 300 ABS, 2018
UTC quote
I assume that you have read carefully the instructions from MV forum. You sound like a fearless and motivated Vespa owner.

The very first thing that comes to my mind is that valves must be adjusted when engine is cold. It will not work and measurement is not correct if engine is warm/hot.

Secondly lock nut must be tightened, but not too tight. Threads can be easily damaged with too much force.

It is also possible that there is soot or some other shit between exhaust valve and the seat. Try giving it really high revs.

It is also possible that the exhaust valve has already burned and valve adjustment will not help any more. Repair will be more than few hours and maybe the 190 is worth trying.

Thumbs up. Let`s try once more…
OP
@jezibel_tires avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@jezibel_tires avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Thats what i am thinking, I got help and the third time we did it (today). after we adjusted we kicked the kickstart a few times and then checked and it was sightly off

after a readjust and assembly it started for about a few seconds then died. so I gathered from the service manual it is a 2 hour job and see what. the guy at the shop says tomorrow possibly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0022s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]