OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
Hello,

I just joined because I am considering a Piaggio Liberty 150 purchase. I am interested in any info regarding ownership experiences; particularly technical aspects and any maintenance or reliability issues.

This would be my first scooter, as I have always owned motorcycles. I have a couple of Honda CT90's in my "stable" currently. One I rebuilt from a roller that uses a Lifan 125 engine. And another (from a roller) that is a 3000W EV project in progress. My daily commuter (even in Denver winters) is a CSC TT250; a Chinese import dual sport.

I decided to go with a modern scooter to replace the commuter 250 for reliability, fuel injection, high MPG, and the CVT. I considered the Honda PCX and Yamaha SMAX, but have basically eliminated them..to arrive at the Piaggio.

Thanks!
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
UTC quote
I did a mini-review somewhere on this site if I recall. Now just under 18,000 miles in 2 years I can say this.
Self service is not that difficult. Robot on You Tube does some great how-to videos.
You only really need 2 "special" tools. The variator lock and the clutch lock.
Get the lighter rollers that AF1 Racing recommends. Work as advertised.
Very comfortable overall. Seat will get softer once it breaks-in.
Very reliable. Had the key reader fail and I think I caused the rear seal to fail. Both covered under warranty.
Not really sure what actual mpg's I get but it's way better than my cars.
Anything else just ask!
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
 
Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
UTC quote
Well, unboxed & purchased mine at a now-defunct Vespa dealer the summer of 2017.
Paid the full MSRP price for the "S" model, $3100.

I'd wanted a 'big wheel' scooter for several years. I read the very good reviews for the Liberty on justgottascoot.com and watched Robot's review on youtube.
Then I purchased the Piaggio service manual download for $8 from AF-1 Racing to see if I would be able to easily do the self-servicing on the scooter. (Sure enough, my dealer folded shortly after I bought the scooter. 50 miles to the nearest now)

I found that the routine servicing looked like it would be no problem (including the valve adjustments!!)

So - I bought the scooter.....and have not regretted it one little bit!
(good luck trying to find a Liberty owner who doesn't like his scooter!!

I love the reliability, the ride, the quality of materials, the quality of the build and the finish on this scooter. I've had new: Forza 300, Burgman 400, LIKE200i LX....so I know a little about how it is to live with a scooter.

I ride my Liberty year around here in Ohio if there is no snow or salt on the roads.
The EFI is superb - all temps.
PM is you've any specific questions.


Regrets??....yeah, wish I could afford a white one, too!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

O.S.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
UTC quote
Funny you mentioned the white Liberty O.S. as I REALLY like the new PCX in white. But I would loose my flat floor. And I don't really feel the liquid cooling would be a benefit because the air cooling works just fine on the Liberty. Finally, I have all the tools now to service my Liberty. So yes, the Liberty stacks up to the competition just fine.

Now for the OP Goob, what made you pick a Liberty over the competition? Like I mentioned above is my reason for the PCX (but that white is tight!) and I thought the Smax was cramped and kinda frumpy looking. And the current Zuma 125, though being redesigned in the ergo/looks department, still has that wet dog 125cc motor.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 578
Location: Reno
 
Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 578
Location: Reno
UTC quote
The gas tank is small, the low fuel light comes on at around 60 miles
I carry a quart of True Fuel in my topbox big enough for a fullface helmet
The mileage is in the 70's or more
Never a cough or sputter from the fuel injection [I'm at 5000 feet]
I pretty much ride around wide open from every light, backing off when I get to speed
Easy to own my place in city traffic
I was on I-80 for a few miles yesterday, above 60 [67 indicated], the cars were slowly passing me
The Liberty is a blast to ride, I feel like a shriner on a minibike, slow speed maneuvering is excellent
Very predictable in the wet & slippery
My 250 pounds will bottom the suspension occasionally, without complaint
Scooters have covers that can be confusing to remove
Liberty's are well thought out
This is a mature model having been refined over some years, parts will be available
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
Well, unboxed & purchased mine at a now-defunct Vespa dealer the summer of 2017.
Paid the full MSRP price for the "S" model, $3100.

I'd wanted a 'big wheel' scooter for several years. I read the very good reviews for the Liberty on justgottascoot.com and watched Robot's review on youtube.
Then I purchased the Piaggio service manual download for $8 from AF-1 Racing to see if I would be able to easily do the self-servicing on the scooter. (Sure enough, my dealer folded shortly after I bought the scooter. 50 miles to the nearest now)

I found that the routine servicing looked like it would be no problem (including the valve adjustments!!)

So - I bought the scooter.....and have not regretted it one little bit!



I love the reliability, the ride, the quality of materials, the quality of the build and the finish on this scooter. I've had new: Forza 300, Burgman 400, LIKE200i LX....so I know a little about how it is to live with a scooter.

I ride my Liberty year around here in Ohio if there is no snow or salt on the roads.
The EFI is superb - all temps.
PM is you've any specific questions.


Regrets??....yeah, wish I could afford a white one, too!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

O.S.
Thanks! I ride year around too. Have you considered heated grips...not sure if the charging system can handle that. I know they put them on the BV350.

I grew up in Hilliard and Findlay Ohio...heading back this week for a visit. OH...IO !!!
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
Funny you mentioned the white Liberty O.S. as I REALLY like the new PCX in white. But I would loose my flat floor. And I don't really feel the liquid cooling would be a benefit because the air cooling works just fine on the Liberty. Finally, I have all the tools now to service my Liberty. So yes, the Liberty stacks up to the competition just fine.

Now for the OP Goob, what made you pick a Liberty over the competition? Like I mentioned above is my reason for the PCX (but that white is tight!) and I thought the Smax was cramped and kinda frumpy looking. And the current Zuma 125, though being redesigned in the ergo/looks department, still has that wet dog 125cc motor.
The PCX has a whole bunch of bodywork that has to be removed to adjust the valves. And, the adjustment interval is more frequent than the Liberty. The SMAX is better for valve adjustment access, but doesn't get the kind of MPG that the Liberty does. Plus, both of these bikes are $800 more. Finally, I like the idea of air cooled. I am an old VW guy. Simplicity rules.

Also, I have a great dealer less than 4 miles away...closer than Honda or Yamaha. Enrico reps Vespa, Piaggio, and Ducati. I have always done all my own work, but it would be nice to have someone do it if I want. I will at least do the first and second services at the dealer. After that, I know I can do the rest.
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
I did a mini-review somewhere on this site if I recall. Now just under 18,000 miles in 2 years I can say this.
Self service is not that difficult. Robot on You Tube does some great how-to videos.
You only really need 2 "special" tools. The variator lock and the clutch lock.
Get the lighter rollers that AF1 Racing recommends. Work as advertised.
Very comfortable overall. Seat will get softer once it breaks-in.
Very reliable. Had the key reader fail and I think I caused the rear seal to fail. Both covered under warranty.
Not really sure what actual mpg's I get but it's way better than my cars.
Anything else just ask!
Thanks for the performance mod info. I will likely wait till the warranty is up to do anything, but it is good to know.

I have been following Robot..great info. Wish he had more detailed stuff for the Liberty 150...similar to his posts on the BV350.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
 
Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2874
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
UTC quote
Welcome, Goob!

I see our friendly crowd has pitched with the info you requested. MV is good like that.
I'm an old VW gal myself so my motorcycle, and one of my scoots are air-cooled. They sit right next to our '69 V-Dub convertable. Scooter emoticon
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
Thanks everyone for your input! I have a question about access for valve adjustment. The salesperson (not a tech) said that removal of the storage "box" under the seat was all that is required to access the engine. Is this true? I am going to have the shop do the initial maintenance, then the 6000 mile one, but after that would like to take over. I can't find any Youtubes on this process. Maybe in the manual?

Also, is the electrical system robust enough to install heated grips? I use battery powered glove liners, but they just do the top of your hands...heated grips are nice to warm the bottom when below 30 degrees. I see that they have been installed on the BV350, just not sure about the Liberty.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
 
Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1160
Location: Norfolk, VA
UTC quote
To do the Liberty valves you pull the seat bucket and the little fairing in the front under the nose of the seat. Very easy to do once you find the hidden fasteners that are all torx bits. The service manual is useful with specs but not with panel removal. But between Robot and others on this forum I've got panels down to a science now.

I have no idea with heated grips on a Liberty. Their not listed as an official Piaggio accessory in the USA so I don't think the Liberty can properly power them. I've had such bad luck with heated grips on my Zuma 125 (never worked well), Burgman 200 (official Suzuki, never got warm enough) or my Buddy 125. My wife had a Can-Am Spyder and those grips got insanely hot! I just got a pair of Milwaukee heated gloves that meet my needs.

What area are you in Goob? It rarely gets cold enough in Norfolk, VA. I got the OEM large Piaggio windscreen and removed it because of glare (can be made doable) and discovered it's not really needed here. If your'e considering an OEM windscreen hit me up via PM. I'll never reinstall mine.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8291
Location: Latina (Italy)
UTC quote
Ciao Goob, welcome to MV from Latina, central Italy.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
 
Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
UTC quote
Valves -
Set valves to 0.10MM per your sticker on the wall under your seat. Not 0.08. This was confirmed with phone call to Piaggio tech. at Piaggio/HQ in Manhattan, NYC!

My first valve set post -
https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2192014?highlight=#2192014

Yeah, I think 'No' on the grip heaters - this baby has a battery the size of a pack of Marlboros...6AH. Maybe it'd be OK, but I want a 'start' when I'm ready to head home on a winter day in Ohio.
I use 7V battery heated gloves. (battery in the glove cuff)

The delicate use a big 'ol screen to keep warmer.
But, this doesn't get the full winter-scoot-riding experience.
O.S.
⚠️ Last edited by OldSchooot on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 54
Location: Northern California
 
Enthusiast
2018 Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 54
Location: Northern California
UTC quote
Only complaints are the process of filling the gas tank, tank too small, and mpg don't seem to be quite as high as advertised.
Positives are the big wheels of course, comfy seat, light weight, fuel injection, simplicity of the air cooling and drum brake, fast oil change, maintenance intervals, good fuel efficiency (despite above comment).
OP
@goob avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Hooked
@goob avatar
Piaggio Liberty 150 AKA Gio
Joined: UTC
Posts: 162
Location: Denver, Colorado
UTC quote
sc00ter wrote:
To do the Liberty valves you pull the seat bucket and the little fairing in the front under the nose of the seat. Very easy to do once you find the hidden fasteners that are all torx bits. The service manual is useful with specs but not with panel removal. But between Robot and others on this forum I've got panels down to a science now.

I have no idea with heated grips on a Liberty. Their not listed as an official Piaggio accessory in the USA so I don't think the Liberty can properly power them. I've had such bad luck with heated grips on my Zuma 125 (never worked well), Burgman 200 (official Suzuki, never got warm enough) or my Buddy 125. My wife had a Can-Am Spyder and those grips got insanely hot! I just got a pair of Milwaukee heated gloves that meet my needs.

What area are you in Goob? It rarely gets cold enough in Norfolk, VA. I got the OEM large Piaggio windscreen and removed it because of glare (can be made doable) and discovered it's not really needed here. If your'e considering an OEM windscreen hit me up via PM. I'll never reinstall mine.
Thanks! I will check with the dealer to see what wattage the alternator output is...assuming these use an alternator. I have been commuting year around in Denver, Colorado and found the grips on my motorcycle (now sold) were nice to have below 35-40 degrees. I have battery powered glove liners that take care of the back of my hands, but the grips were nice for the bottom. I ride any day it doesn't snow, and the lowest temp has been 3 degrees (but that is rare). So, warm is good. I may just need to upgrade to more expensive full-on gloves rather than liners. Thanks for the offer on the windscreen...but the factory one is a bit expensive for me. There is one that Robot suggests around $100...more in my price range.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 578
Location: Reno
 
Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 578
Location: Reno
UTC quote
I have a full size givi windshield, good hand protection
There is a small bit of wind that sneaks above the leg shield & below the windshield, inboard of the grips
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
 
Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2289
Location: Ohio
UTC quote
I ride yr around in Ohio (my low was 3°F, as well😊
I use Gerbing heated liners under heavy leather gauntlets, or Highway21 heater gaintlets. Both are battery-in-glove items.
Yeah, the $100 flyscreen Robot promotes now is better than the $229 flyscreen his parts dept sold me 4 yrs ago😊😊
O.S.
@maggiegirl avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 814
Location: central Illinois USA
 
Addicted
@maggiegirl avatar
2021 Primavera 150 touring, 2016 LXV 150 ie, 1978 Vespa P125, 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 814
Location: central Illinois USA
UTC quote
Pulling the rear tire for a trip to the 100+ mile away shop is a real pain, so was putting it back on… mpg suck when you are sitting in Friday traffic trying to escape the city… and my Libby is the ride that shows up most often in the plant bike parking area… and I bought a replacement for that cheap gas cap…my old hands hated the original one. Slipstreamer on to keep the big mean bugs from hitting this old woman…
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]