@waterboysh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV 350

Hooked
@waterboysh avatar
2013 BV 350
UTC quote
I'm selling my BV 350. I live in the US, and I'm not really sure of a good place to list it for sale, especially considering the scooter market is already a pretty niche market. I listed it in Facebook Marketplace but have gotten nothing but spam messages there. Any suggestions?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
I've used Craigslist to sell a couple of scooters and a few old cars. Some people have reported problems with Craigslist but I've never had any trouble. The good thing about craigs is that it's local. Buyers can come check out your scooter themselves and pay you with cash; you don't get too many scammers wanting you to ship it cross-country on a money order. If you do get questionable requests, you can just ignore them.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
There's a website called Modern Vespa that has a classified section. Just saying. Razz emoticon
OP
@waterboysh avatar
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV 350

Hooked
@waterboysh avatar
2013 BV 350
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I've used Craigslist to sell a couple of scooters and a few old cars.
You have to pay $5 to list a vehicle on Craigslist. I might just go ahead and do it though.
seamus26 wrote:
There's a website called Modern Vespa that has a classified section.
I actually posted it there first about two months ago.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
There's Nextdoor as well.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
waterboysh wrote:
You have to pay $5 to list a vehicle on Craigslist. I might just go ahead and do it though.
I've never had to pay for Craigslist. I think there are fees only in some markets. Still, five bucks isn't much for a for sale ad.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I once sold a handicapped enabled mini-van on ebay.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
I've never had to pay for Craigslist. I think there are fees only in some markets. Still, five bucks isn't much for a for sale ad.
When I listed my scoot they charged me a fiver. IIRC, it was a fee for vehicles only. Everything else I've sold has been free.

Some dodgy people there lately.
@pegasus_prime avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 Vespa GTS 300 Super HPE

Hooked
@pegasus_prime avatar
2021 Vespa GTS 300 Super HPE
UTC quote
waterboysh wrote:
I'm selling my BV 350. I live in the US, and I'm not really sure of a good place to list it for sale, especially considering the scooter market is already a pretty niche market. I listed it in Facebook Marketplace but have gotten nothing but spam messages there. Any suggestions?
Could try cycle trader?

Looks like they only have one used listed right now from Richmond, VA

https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-Piaggio-Bv-350/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Piaggio%7C68144566&model=BV%7C764948641&trim=350%7C57148&condition=U

Otherwise Facebook or Craigslist, but yeah the BV 350 could be tough to move
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Probably Craigslist is your best bet if you want to keep it semi-local. In the MV for sale section you may need to just be patient, because a lot of people on the site (although not all!) are likely to have a scoot and so it will take time for someone here actually in need of a BV350 to catch your listing
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
waterboysh wrote:

I actually posted it there first about two months ago.
c'list, be VERY specific about the price and no trades and NO TEST RIDES WITHOUT CASH IN HAND PERIOD. and that it's a cash deal PERIOD.

you drop it, it's yours now.

and post up a pic

re: the no response to your MV ad... I hate to be jerky, but it kinda sucked. you were wishy-washy about it, and about the price and told me a bunch of crap I didn't need to know AND there wasn't a picture.

so. PICTURE. jack Webb, just the facts. location, mileage, things done, service details and PRICE.

if you're not sure on the price, run some comps and see where you land.

I'm sure it will move. we're in prime riding season and people are getting out and about.

hth

-g
@scooterraton avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2 - Many

Ossessionato
@scooterraton avatar
2 - Many
UTC quote
Scoot.net
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
CL can be a great marketplace. I've sold four or five motorcycles and other machinery on CL, and have learned to be polite but not list my phone number until I swap emails first. This helps weed out scammers, low-ballers and the worst of all, the ones who will never show up. If someone wants a vehicle report, it's a scam to avoid.
As a buyer on CL, I recently bought from a cautious woman who met me with her sister at a church to avoid trouble. Showing respect for her wariness resulted in her taking a personal check. It's a two-way street.
I sometimes donate my cars to my fave charity to avoid the hassle, but they also take bikes.
Good luck!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
and post up a pic
This is a critical piece of the puzzle. No picture virtually guarantees you will only appeal to the most desperate of buyers.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
Just as many have said Craigslist has worked for me to buy & also sell. As Greasy says, you can't be wishy-washy & or not transparent in your ad. Be open, tell what is good & whats bad or what needs work etc, I have found that has worked for me every time.
I have gone with a gut instinct when I have bought, I have so far bought 2 Vespa's the current one I bought from a fellow MV member who was open upfront and clear in what he had to sell, the previous Vespa was listed on Craigslist, I met the person, he offered to let me ride it, I did not bother with it. My view has always been that the worst case scenario is I end up with crap & I lost a few thousand bucks, and my gut instincts have served me well thus far in trusting some folks.
Be clear, concise, transparent and have pictures of the best and the worst.
You will find the right buyer and you will have a smooth transaction & your karmic bank balance will be a bit higher.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
CL is the only serious option to reach the most buyers. Suck it up and pay the $5.00. Some Idjits list it in the motorcycle parts or general section to skate the $5 fee. I figure you play, you should pay. I sell 2 to 5 scooters a year. Where I am, anything other than Craigslist is a waste of time.
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
waterboysh wrote:
I have had really good experiences selling three motorcycles on CycleTrader. I paid about $50.00 for each listing and I sold all three within two weeks each. The key seems to be an accurate description that includes numerous photos. The people that contacted me were serious buyers.
@retro_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"

Hooked
@retro_scoot avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"
UTC quote
Ditto on Cycletrader. I’ve sold a number of bikes there. Two weeks are (the last time I used them) free with a limited number of pics. Then you can upgrade if necessary. I’d recommend just utilizing email until you feel comfortable with the contact. No phone or address. You WILL get some knuckleheads. It goes with the territory..
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Odd man out here: I buy, fix up and sell about 4 to 5 motorcycles a year. It's a hobby I enjoy that pays for itself and I get to meet some great people, some who I ride with occasionally. I usually buy non-runners that look fairly good as I am better at mechanics than the cosmetic side. Lately, Cl has not done much for me. Cycle trader use to be my go to, but the dealers kinda took it over and your add gets lost in the shuffle, even if it is cheaper than the others. Lately, the same thing is happening to CL - lots of dealer adds. One of the reason for the $5 fee, the other being a little more security(proving you are human and not a robot). FB has worked out much better, but you are going to pick up more trolls. I put in every add that low balling and asking if it is available will be ignored. Also, if a question about the bike has already been answered in the add, I ignore that as well. Lots of pictures and a very good description will filter out a lot of silly question. Last tip: Be reasonable on your price. I see 14 year old GTS250s in my area that have been garaged from day one, less that 5K miles, but priced at $4500 to $5000. LX150s, about the same age, wanting $3000 to $3500. And they sit on FB for months and months until the add expires. Price it to move and it will move. "Better to sell it and regret it, then keep it and regret it" (dear old Dad).
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
We bought our Vespas off of CL three years ago. My husband's was within half an hour of our home, mine was over an hour and a half away. Excellent results in both cases.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0147s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]