@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
It ran great and I got 88.8 miles per gallon on my last fill-up. I checked the oil, and it was right where it was supposed to be. Comfortable. Lots of fun on the twisties.

Just thought I'd put that out there, since discussions sometimes seem to revolve around problems. The only problem I'm having: outside air temps in the 90s. Has anyone figured out a way to put air conditioning on one of these?

What? That lump? That's my tongue in cheek. It's a thing - I read about it on the internet.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
Problems? Yeah, I had one of those once. I....

Um....

Wind. Wind will keep you cool. And not wind like wind up the clock, if you thought that you're far too up-tight. But you own a Vespa, so why would I even think....

Yeah, wind. Keep moving. Cool.... Everyone thinks so.
@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super Sport (Verde Speranza)

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
Are the HPE's supposed to be more fuel efficient? I usually come in around 60 on my '18 Super.

Granted, I am a heavier rider.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
dang. that is awesome gas mileage.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Has anyone figured out a way to put air conditioning on one of these?
I gots ta get me one o' those! Razz emoticon
OP
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Trenchleton wrote:
Are the HPE's supposed to be more fuel efficient? I usually come in around 60 on my '18 Super.

Granted, I am a heavier rider.
I don't think anyone has touted the HPE as being more fuel efficient. I was getting 62 to 65 mpg at home (sea level) when my 2020 had fewer miles on it. Right now, we are in the Black Hills, where the riding is great (as long as you don't impact with a deer). Most of the good twisty roads are 45 mph or lower, and I admit I enjoy pushing the GTS through the curves. The elevation is between 3500 and 5000' for most of our riding. The difference in my mind: we are able to get NON-ethanol premium here.

My first fuel up here was just over 80 mpg. Since then, it has varied between 78 and 91 mpg, generally depending on how much highway driving on a given tank. I weigh about 190, have a mid-height windshield with a Laminar Lip.

This is our 4th summer riding our scoots in the Black Hills. We have had 5 different scoots here over that time, and all of them have gotten better fuel mileage when here, compared to our home or wherever else we've hauled them.

Just a suggestion: haul your scoot to the Black Hills to see if what we are experiencing is an anomaly.

I started this thread because of discussions that people only talk about problems on internet forums... leading some people to think problems are more widespread. Thus, the "tongue in cheek" comment in the original post. Being a happy-go-freakin'-lucky kinda guy, I just wanted to spread a ray of sunshine here.

I didn't buy a scooter because of the good gas mileage, but was surprised at how good the scoots we have owned have been. I have to say, though, that it pisses me off just a bit that my wife's Xmax is faster AND gets better fuel mileage... on regular unleaded.

We have been riding for decades. Back when we both had a Goldwing, a guy in a motel parking lot said, "That's an economical way to travel," pointing at our Wings. He was driving a Toyota (a Camry, I think). When I asked what he got for mileage, he said, "About 35 on the highway).

I told him, "We get about 45 miles per gallon. Riding two of them, and we're getting about 23 - 23 miles per gallon. And we don't have air conditioning."

There are less expensive ways to get around. I'm all about the smiles per gallon.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Captain, very good thread! As you say, majority of folks post with an issue, or want some advice about an issue. In reality few owners, compared to the number of Vespas out there, ever get an issue worthy of note. Nice to remind folks of that!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
In reality there are problems (not only on Vespa ...) but many due to poor maintenance or improper use of the vehicle, however not such and serious as to prevent its sale (and even in large quantities); I would add that if there are congenital criticalities or are resolved by the manufacturer with calls to the workshop or they are such as to be known and in any case a consequence of other causes.
As we say in Italy: "if it were a bin no one would buy it anymore".
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Yes, I see where you are coming from Attila. And I am not saying there are no issues, but as you point out, many are due to improper or even no maintenance. Misuse also fits nicely in there too! In the workshop I saw it all, and trust me, you would not believe what some folks do (or don't do) to their bikes and still expect them to run ok!

From my own experience, I've had my GTS near 5 years now from new and experienced only one slight issue. That was an underfloor coolant leak at about 2 years old when one of the factory hose clips gave out. Easily spotted and easily fixed. That's the only issue. Nothing else to report except the bike is amazing, powerful, yet very frugal on fuel. On UK gallons it gets a consistent 89-91mpg ridden solo with light luggage. All servicing carried out by me to factory timings and specs using genuine factory parts. My friends with GTS bikes (which includes the HPE versions) are having the same good experiences. Zero issues.
@grouper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring

Hooked
@grouper avatar
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring
UTC quote
My hpe has been nothing but a pleasure to own and ride. I am averaging 74 mpg.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
@retro_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"

Hooked
@retro_scoot avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"
UTC quote
Well, as long as we’re in the MPG department, mine is getting 78 to 82 consistently. Low 70’s early on but seems to have peaked now as I have 2K on the clock. The suspension seems to have broken in now as well. Ride is much better. Seat was always very good. Motor is very smooth.

Complaints? NADA. (Uhm, Ok, I WOULD suggest a better dipstick arrangement )

It really is a terrific bike.
@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
There are less expensive ways to get around. I'm all about the smiles per gallon.
Absolutely - I didn't mean to complain about my 60MPG. With my commute and my weight, I am perfectly happy with it. I was just surprised to hear the HPE doing so much more. I think that 45MPH sweet spot certainly doesn't hurt - I spend about a third of my commute at that speed, but it's because I'm going uphill and it won't go any faster (though it's still faster than my hatchback).
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
UTC quote
In the city of New York, I am averaging 55-60 mpg. I don't think I would get 70mpg in stop go traffic unless I turn off the engine at every light for 30-45 seconds. I think idling over 3-5 minutes on a 12 mile ride with speeds topping out at 40-45mph ( yes speeding in NYC as city limits are 25mph). I don't bother with the mileage, for me it is more convenient than riding the subways especially during the pandemic.
I am guessing if I were to go on a long excursion and out of the city then I may get better mileage possibly.
@trenchleton avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@trenchleton avatar
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
I don't bother with the mileage, for me it is more convenient than riding the subways especially during the pandemic.
I rode mine around Portland back in May and it was the nicest time I've ever had navigating there.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0215s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0110s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]