@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I don't think I'd be okay with such little personal space (and I have no idea how many fumes would get into your sleeping cabin), but it's a neat concept nevertheless:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-bufalino-camper-proves-even-a-three-wheel-piaggio-ape-can-serve-as-motorhome-166530.html
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
That is pretty wild.

My issue is really that I love vespas for the ride. This would have none of that - I'd sooner have a (slightly) bigger camper that would have four wheels to deal with bumpy terrain and provide more comfort than the Ape trike route
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Our compromise:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@grouper avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring

Hooked
@grouper avatar
2020 GTS 300 hpe Touring
UTC quote
While it is very cool, 50cc just isn't going to cut it when trying to make it to campgrounds. I would rather do it in Jim's VW and carry the scooter... Best of both worlds.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Westfalia for the win!
@spirovision avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS super 300

Hooked
@spirovision avatar
GTS super 300
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Westfalia for the win!
+1
UTC

Enthusiast
Royal Alloy 300

Enthusiast
Royal Alloy 300
UTC quote
I have a question for Jim. How stable is the trailer hitch carrier? Whats is the weight of your scooter? I was thinking of doing the same with my outback. Im afraid that once I have my 300 Royal Alloy it might just be too much weight on the hitch. I love your set up!!

Thanks!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
jim, color me green with envy. bitchin' set up and dead sexy all around. top marks my dude.
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
Ditto to greasy's comment. My wife has been talking about touring around after she retires. I'll need to figure out some way to bring a scooter and I like those bumper options.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Scootoverdaddy wrote:
I have a question for Jim. How stable is the trailer hitch carrier? Whats is the weight of your scooter? I was thinking of doing the same with my outback. Im afraid that once I have my 300 Royal Alloy it might just be too much weight on the hitch. I love your set up!!

Thanks!
The LX is ~250 lb. The hitch is pretty stable. It's a PITA to push the scooter up the ramp though, it takes two of us to do it safely. So we're considering a hydraulic lift instead. We'll have to add uprated rear springs first though, the 37 year old ones are shagged out...
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
UTC quote
After my bad idea of using pushbikes to get from the campsite to the racetrack when we went to mugello a couple of years ago, we decided to get a van and put the scooter in the back.

We've bought the van but still have most of the fitting out to do. We are going for a bench seat either side at the back that converts into a bed, there's room for the scooter to sit in the middle when the bed isn't in use. So far we are at the carboard testing stage but the scooter definitely fits.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Yeah that Wesfalia setup is what I'm talkin' about. I'd rock that, especially with the scooter rack
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Maybe one day VW will remake a Westfalia type van...
I have a friend that has a Mercedes Metris that was converted into a camper van. It's slick, but he paid a small fortune for the damn thing.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Maybe one day VW will remake a Westfalia type van...
Here you go: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/12/28/vw-i-d-buzz-renderings-camper-deluxe-syncro-mystery-machine/
@nautiker avatar
UTC

Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350

Addicted
@nautiker avatar
'14 Piaggio BV 350
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax

Enthusiast
MP3 400 and Fly 125 and TMax
UTC quote
Jim

I overcame the problem of loading my bike on a similar setup to yours by using a winch. I welded a bracket to a simple 12v winch, and the bracket was tailor made to fit onto the footrest of my bike (125cc Yamaha). I then extended the cable and fixed it to the front/far end of the ramp. I used the bikes battery as a power source and fixed a simple Anderson plug for the power supply (with a corresponding Anderson plug on the winch). Without help from anyone else I could then easily load the bike up the ramp and onto the tray using a remote control, velcro fixed to a suitable spot on the bike. Loading saved the strain on my ageing back, and the stress on my (sometimes) over-burdened mind! It was a perfect solution and added no additional weight to the back end. The winch popped on and off easily and was stowed under the front passenger seat. We successfully used this set up on a 3 month tour from UK to Scandinavia and eastern Europe. I took the bike on/off so many times without incident. Indeed our favourite moments cam when we set down in a village somewhere, unloaded the bike and wandered off along a tiny road for a few hours. Hope I've explained it well enough but if you need more info just message me and ill be happy to help.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
jegemba wrote:
Jim

I overcame the problem of loading my bike on a similar setup to yours by using a winch. I welded a bracket to a simple 12v winch, and the bracket was tailor made to fit onto the footrest of my bike (125cc Yamaha). I then extended the cable and fixed it to the front/far end of the ramp. I used the bikes battery as a power source and fixed a simple Anderson plug for the power supply (with a corresponding Anderson plug on the winch). Without help from anyone else I could then easily load the bike up the ramp and onto the tray using a remote control, velcro fixed to a suitable spot on the bike. Loading saved the strain on my ageing back, and the stress on my (sometimes) over-burdened mind! It was a perfect solution and added no additional weight to the back end. The winch popped on and off easily and was stowed under the front passenger seat. We successfully used this set up on a 3 month tour from UK to Scandinavia and eastern Europe. I took the bike on/off so many times without incident. Indeed our favourite moments cam when we set down in a village somewhere, unloaded the bike and wandered off along a tiny road for a few hours. Hope I've explained it well enough but if you need more info just message me and ill be happy to help.
That sounds an EXCELLENT idea. Mrs jimc prefers the idea of a hydraulic lift though. Hey-ho.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0135s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]