@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
I’m watching Facebook marketplace for Vespa. I have not tracked this systematically but seems to me that bikes reasonably priced and in good shape move much slower if older than 2010. So if it’s a 2009 or older, demand seems less. I’m interested in a couple of Vespas older than 2010. I know all the issues with age, but get to that age and many fewer people seem willing to take the risk. If true, I need to be careful to pay accordingly in addition to the care of determining condition.

Make sense?
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
I am going to be within 100 miles of you this weekend.

If interested, I could ride Rocket down and let you try it.

It is a 2006 Vespa GT with 100,000 miles.

It is not for sale at any price, but it might help you see how good the old ones are.

Bill
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked
ex 1986 Vespa PX125, 2007 Vespa LX150

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Don't take it personally but I really never understood this way of thinking.

I currently own a 1973 Moto Guzzi with 326.000 kilometers on it, still running great, and a 1995 Suzuki Bandit with 100.000 kilometers, also running great.
The only car I've ever owned was a Peugeot Tepee that I scrapped at 430.000 kilometers.

I really can't understand what's the issue with age and/or mileage if the vehicle has been taken care of
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I am going to be within 100 miles of you this weekend.

If interested, I could ride Rocket down and let you try it.

It is a 2006 Vespa GT with 100,000 miles.

It is not for sale at any price, but it might help you see how good the old ones are.

Bill
Bill, what a nice offer and I will take you upon it. I think I will see another ‘06 GT tomorrow so yours would be a great comparable. We could PM with details.

And, I don’t doubt the value of these old ones. I’m not afraid of turning wrenches. But I think most of the market disagrees.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Mauro150LX wrote:
Don't take it personally but I really never understood this way of thinking.

I currently own a 1973 Moto Guzzi with 326.000 kilometers on it, still running great, and a 1995 Suzuki Bandit with 100.000 kilometers, also running great.
The only car I've ever owned was a Peugeot Tepee that I scrapped at 430.000 kilometers.

I really can't understand what's the issue with age and/or mileage if the vehicle has been taken care of
Don’t take this personally but if you actually read my post, you would see I am not taking any position to take personally. I’m just watching sales time and it seems the market buys newer.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Yep, I read it but since English's not my mother language I wanna always be sure nobody gets offended if I write something in the wrong way

Actually I was referring to the sellers you was referring to, hence the "don't take it personally"
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Look - forget about the bloody 'market'. If you go into buying one of these with possible future repair (not routine maintenance) costs and resale value concerns, then it's not for you in the first place.

If you like it, you can afford it, and the price seems reasonable, buy it and enjoy it.

I can't be the only one getting a bit fed up with all the umming and arring in loads of separate threads.
@lostboater avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em

Ossessionato
@lostboater avatar
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300x2 sold 'em
UTC quote
Bill,
PS, I ain't riding to Naples with you.
Ken
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
I’m watching Facebook marketplace for Vespa. I have not tracked this systematically but seems to me that bikes reasonably priced and in good shape move much slower if older than 2010. So if it’s a 2009 or older, demand seems less. I’m interested in a couple of Vespas older than 2010. I know all the issues with age, but get to that age and many fewer people seem willing to take the risk. If true, I need to be careful to pay accordingly in addition to the care of determining condition. Make sense?
Sure, older vehicles and vehicles with high mileage generally go at lower prices and are not in particularly high demand. That is hardly only true of Vespas. I'd go one step further. I'd say older and higher mileage scooters are best for those capable of doing most of their own maintenance and repairs. Older scooters can be a good deal when bought in good condition at a modest price and mostly maintained in your own garage. Now, if you don't have the knowledge, tools, or inclination to do much of your own wrenching.......
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Look - forget about the bloody 'market'. If you go into buying one of these with possible future repair (not routine maintenance) costs and resale value concerns, then it's not for you in the first place.

If you like it, you can afford it, and the price seems reasonable, buy it and enjoy it.

I can't be the only one getting a bit fed up with all the umming and arring in loads of separate threads.
Jim, while your replies can be incredibly blunt, you make a fair point. I can’t remember feeling so indecisive. The choices are complex but I didn't consider that my incessant wanderings were a problem here. You have succeeded in shutting me up. For now.
⚠️ Last edited by Billrush on UTC; edited 1 time
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Jim, while your replies can be incredibly blunt, you make a fair point. I can’t remember feeling so indecisive. The choices are complex but I didn't consider that my incessant wanderings was a problem here. You have succeeded in shutting me up. For now.
Remember, he isn't called the resident curmudgeon for nothing .

At least equally to the point, I don't think getting bogged down in the possible range of choices out there is really very helpful. The real point is your own preferences, intended ways of using a scooter, interest and willingness to care for one, financial resources, and what pleases you. Those things are mostly your call, though others can help you figure out whether a particular choice might tick a particular box. Good luck.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
THIS!
jimc wrote:
You're probably not, but posts like this can sometimes offer up informational gems for those of us who are still learning. I love learning from the more experienced people, such as yourself, therefore I enjoy them. Nerd emoticon
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
lostboater wrote:
Bill,
PS, I ain't riding to Naples with you.
Ken
Ride it down means as far as Sebring, or Clewiston if we do a Lake Okeechobee loop.

I am not riding to Naples either.

Bill can meet us on our route.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
I've been there, believe me. But you have two scoots already, so I'd think Jimc's feedback is especially relevant:
you aren't desperate.
You don't need one.
Nobody else can tell you what you'll like.
Making money on reselling an old vehicles is... challenging.

So it's surely best to look at it as "if I'm looking at this used thing, it's almost surely a bad "investment" in purely monetary terms. I don't need it either. So - do I want it? That's where the "value" of the "investment" is squarely pegged. If yes. Buy. If no, forget it"
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Bill can meet us on our route.
If you can, just tell me a time and place. I’ll drive up if possible.
Bill…man of unending Vespa options.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
So it's surely best to look at it as "if I'm looking at this used thing, it's almost surely a bad "investment" in purely monetary terms. I don't need it either. So - do I want it? That's where the "value" of the "investment" is squarely pegged. If yes. Buy. If no, forget it"
Great advice. I “may” have been over thinking this. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
lol - like I said. I've been there. I'll probably be there again. Scoots are addictive
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
As the owner of a 2006 and 2009 GTS, I wouldn’t hesitate if the price is right. 38K miles between them with less than ideal maintenance by a guy with ten thumbs.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
it's high riding time. ride what you got and then make a decision in fall when prices and demand come down.

knock it off with the mental masturbation. either pull the trigger and buy something or just cruise what's in your stable.

worst case you pick something up and drop a bunch of dough into it, enjoy riding it for a hot minute and flip it for a loss. best case you pick something up, drop a bunch of dough into it, enjoy riding it and flip it for a loss.

if you're looking for ROI and investment, scooters be not your game my dude.

hth
-g
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
it's high riding time. ride what you got and then make a decision in fall when prices and demand come down.

knock it off with the mental masturbation. either pull the trigger and buy something or just cruise what's in your stable.

worst case you pick something up and drop a bunch of dough into it, enjoy riding it for a hot minute and flip it for a loss. best case you pick something up, drop a bunch of dough into it, enjoy riding it and flip it for a loss.

if you're looking for ROI and investment, scooters be not your game my dude.

hth
-g
Couldn’t agree more with every word. In the meantime, I’ve learned a ton and had fun. No Vespas we’re killed or wounded in this process. MV will survive my ponderings.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0028s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]