@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
I’m seeing many GT200’s for sale. Several look great. I’ve watched Robots great youtube video on these great vintage scooters and the aging problems they have had as well as the great machines they are.

Now if I have to choose between a well maintained GT200 versus a GTS 250 of similar age, condition and price, I would guess that in the fuel injected GTS versus the carbureted GT, the GTS wins the prize. Are there other reasons a GT 200 wins the prize, if both are comparable in age, miles, price and maintenance.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
There is no simple answer to this, because it depends on the overall condition of the bike, but, each has it's own drawbacks.

The 250 GTS is well known for electrical issues, wiring harness fires, fuel pump issues and brake lines that melt when the exhaust gasket goes.
The parts it doesn't share with the 300 are, for the most part, more expensive. But, it shares plastics with the 300 GTS and GTV. Piaggio appears to be discontinuing some of the 250 exclusive parts. The Wiring Harness for the GTS and for the GTV have both been discontinued, and I haven't seen a new one yet.

The GT is at a point where Piaggio doesn't have to provide parts for it, and some of these are getting mighty scarce. If you have aGT, with the round starting and horn buttons, good luck ever finding headset plastics. The tail lights are out of stock at Piaggio right now, and they have no legal reason to continue making them. The side panels are different than the ones on the GTS, and plenty of them are out of stock, so you might not be as easily able to match the color, if you need to.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
The 250 GTS is well known for electrical issues, wiring harness fires, fuel pump issues and brake lines that melt when the exhaust gasket goes.
All fair items to mention but I think saying well known (implying those problems are common) is somewhat overstating it. The fuel pump and brake line issues were both the subject of recalls. Post recall repairs is there any reason to think there is any more risk there with the 250 than with the 300? And most 250s were not within the periods of the 2 recall issues in any case. Regarding wiring harness fires or even damaging shorts - they have occurred, but are hardly common. Electrical issues? What modern scooter does not have occasional electrical issues. What are the specific weak points on the 250 that distinguish it from the 200 or the 300?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Electrical issues? What modern scooter does not have occasional electrical issues.
Most of them.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
I bought a 2006 GT three years ago for $2K in nice shape with about 6K miles on it (including topcase and full windscreen). It was intended to be an extra scooter so I put less than 2000 miles on it over three summers. The main reason I got rid of it this May was my wife wanting a new Primavera and a failure of some gasket this winter in my unheated garage. When I checked the oil while installing the battery, a combination of oil and coolant poured out. I have no mechanical ability and nobody nearby to fix it, so I sold it as is to someone who could fix it himself.
I was impressed with the GT. It handles the same as the GTS and is almost as fast. It never failed to start, but the choke rarely set properly when starting it cold. I had to goose the throttle while cranking to get it to fire. It never took more than a few seconds and idled properly within a very short time. Sometimes the choke worked perfectly, most often when the air temperature was cold.
That said, I preferred the fuel injection in the GTS. Never had to think when starting it. My 2006 GTS has had zero issues over 16K miles in the 12 years we have owned it. My 2009 GTS was subject to the fuel pump recall, but I only had it done last year because it never gave me any problems. I finally brought it in when the bike died a couple of times 40 miles into a ride; I had the valves adjusted at the same time so I don’t know which issue caused the problem. Both times it died on me, prior to the repair, it started and ran perfectly after cooling down for half an hour and always got me home.
I was interested to read the mention here of GTS wiring harness problems. I had not heard about it, but for about three or four years a while back, I did notice the occasional whiff of burning electrics while riding. It always went away by itself and I never had it investigated.
I must be living right because eventually, the smell stopped altogether about three years ago. When I brought the bike to a dealer for the previously mentioned fuel pump and valve adjustment, the tech mentioned that he found some burned wiring and had patched it while doing the other repairs and cleaning about an inch of grime covering the entire engine. I couldn’t really argue with him when he told me it didn’t look like the scooter had been very well maintained. He told me to drive it until it died and not to worry. I put at least 4000 miles on it since with no problems. I just treated it to a pair of new Michelin City Grips.
So, based on my long experience with the GTS and the not so long experience with the GT, I would buy either in the best condition I could find.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Most of them.
Come now. Haven't you owned an MP3?
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Most of them.
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon Facepalm emoticon See you're at it again!
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
The reality is that Piaggio are happy to continue making many parts for our scooters for long periods since there is a profit in it. The history of Piaggio (like most manufacturers) is that they like their bikes to run and run for decades and they have always been willing to support them. What does happen is they scale down production of some things on older bikes and these can become less easy to get quickly, particularly at the moment in covid times. I can get mostly all parts for the GT200 and the GTS250's quite quickly in the UK. Over here in europe there are no issues with brake line problems due to exhaust gasket failures as they were all fixed, as were the fuel pumps on the 250's. In all honesty there are no more electrical failures or fires on the GT200's or 250's than any other bike. And I should know as I've worked on the whole range of bikes from just about all the manufacturers available in the Uk over the last 50 years in the trade and privately. Sure you may get a faulty wiring harness come out and end up with a handful of bikes with close VINs with a problem but these get fixed.

Heck I worked on cars too for many years professionally and they all had their electrical issues including fires and these are nearly always down to faulty harnesses, but are few and far between. Just like bikes.

Even if a wiring loom is not available for a particular bike, it's not hard to fashion one if one knows what you are doing so it's perfectly possible to go to the right sort of dealer or auto electrician and get them to fashion or modify and fit a new harness. I've done it more times than I care to remember over the years on many bikes that long ago finished it's parts run. This will be expensive but if it came to it and you really want that bike it can be worth it to you.

Overall I get what Motovista is saying about the spares situation becomeing more difficult on some bikes as they age. That's what can happen. But the GT200 and the 250's are far from being hard to get bits for, at least, not here in europe. But overall, I'd go for fuel injection with a GTS250.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
You know, if I were you, I'd go ride that 150 I just bought.
Thats what I would do.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
You know, if I were you, I'd go ride that 150 I just bought.
Thats what I would do.
Thanks Dad.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
I'd roll 250, the parts are getting fewer and further between for 200's
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
I'd roll 250, the parts are getting fewer and further between for 200's
Your reply contributes to the delinquency of a Vespa obsessed reader. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Your reply contributes to the delinquency of a Vespa obsessed reader. Crying or Very sad emoticon
I know. and I'm sorry.

ride what you've got boss. think about it when it's buying time.
(October till like, march)

also, peek at eBay on the availability of GT200 hard parts. woof. good luck. not to mention, like, regular every day maintenance bits and bobs. F and THAT.

unless you want to put the time, work and dollars into a 200-- that you got cheap as shit?

buy a 250 for the same price, do minimal maintenance, ride it till it breaks, then adios that shizz for like, $10 and a burrito. rinse and repeat.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
UTC quote
if looked at from a performance standpoint get the 250 over the 200. heck skip the 250 and get a 300. frame is the same on all of them with minor trim changes.

if looking at the question from a KISS standpoint you might want a carb bike and not a fuel injected one. this fact alone has kept the 200 resale remarkably high. in my area two years ago the gt200 often sold for more than the 250. lots of people just prefer the simplicity of carbs. ME I love the way carbed bikes run. they run every bit as good if not better than fuel injection. BUT they have to be driven regularly. I had to send carbed bikes down the road as when they sat for two weeks they wouldnt start quick if at all. sit for months between starts, forget owning one. get fuel injection. fuel injection with plastic tank is the home run.

my take on the electric wire problem of 250/300. it certainly IS one. there is a lot of current going through the magneto charge wires to the regulator. half the vespas that have been through my hands have burned melted connecters, modified already with different clip and no plastic housing. or the spade clips eliminated by soldering or crimp clamps. this issue is aggravated by moisture/oxidation. the connections suffer poor ability to handle current flow as a result. ends up like having a 16gauge wire when a 10 gauge is what is needed. heat is generated. this is why the connection often fails. I cant confirm but the 200 may not have this potential problem. it may have less charge current .
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Ha, and I get accused of vacillating.

Is it any wonder?! Every other post is convinced one model or the other is better. JerryD essentially argues for the GTS 250, 300 and GT200 in one post! And I see his point! Pros and cons to each.

It’s the wonder of Vespas. Long history and many great models ND FOLKS WHO LOVE THEM ALL.

Im in no hurry. I have a wonderful Vespa already.

I want a great bike and great deal.

I’m exploring and having a blast! Don’t make me stop!

If you are sick of hearing me explore, then you have already read too far!

Cheers!
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
You’re gonna have aging issues with either but the gts aging issues are going to be harder to solve and the parts for them will be increasingly rare. I heard that the carbeurated engines are easier to work on so if you’re mechanically inclined it might be the better choice to get the 200. Both bikes are going to have plenty of electrical problems back and forth. The only thing that ever went wrong with my gts 250 was a new part of the electrical system would come loose after 15 years and maybe catch fire or melt lol. Headlamp connector melted, main fuse connection melted, lights would go out, those might be related to the voltage regulator but it wasn’t all happening at once, if an electrical connection is lose they tend to melt also. Not a single engine problem except at one point the starter seized up, it was fixed by knocking it, but we replaced it anyways. There’s also a lot of rubber in the 200s and that stuff starts to disintegrate after a long while. If you get a gts 250, be sure to take it in for the exhaust gasket recall service, this applies to the years 2006-2009 iirc, it had a problem where the exhaust gasket would fail and then it would vent heat into the rear brake line melting it. Not the worst thing but they do replace it with an exhaust that vents it away from the brake line
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I'm curious what you want to get out of the scoot. To me that's going to help with your musings. Because you have a 2021 injected 150. Are you looking for something a little more "tinkery" to mix things up (in which case I'd go for the GT200 since carbs are fun to mess with and the hard-to-find parts add to the... er... mystique?). Or are you looking for a bigger grunter to cover rides you aren't keen on with the 150? In that case, all 3 of those GTx options would do it, but the 300 would be the most clear step in that direction.

Everyone's needs are different, but personally as someone who already has slower janky old scoots I think if I were to buy an MV right now I'd look for a GTS250 or 300 because it would add more to the range of riding and wrenching experiences in my stable. A GT200 would be night and day in terms of power and ride feel as well, of course (I used to have an ET2 and Typhoon, so I know the differences with CVT life well), but being carbed and older with hard to find parts... well... I've got that aplenty already Laughing emoticon Mind you, I've done some good cross-state touring on my P200e and there's no real need to stop, but it's similar HP to your Sprint so you can probably visualize where I'm coming from.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
if looked at from a performance standpoint get the 250 over the 200. heck skip the 250 and get a 300. frame is the same on all of them with minor trim changes.

if looking at the question from a KISS standpoint you might want a carb bike and not a fuel injected one. this fact alone has kept the 200 resale remarkably high. in my area two years ago the gt200 often sold for more than the 250. lots of people just prefer the simplicity of carbs. ME I love the way carbed bikes run. they run every bit as good if not better than fuel injection. BUT they have to be driven regularly. I had to send carbed bikes down the road as when they sat for two weeks they wouldnt start quick if at all. sit for months between starts, forget owning one. get fuel injection. fuel injection with plastic tank is the home run.

my take on the electric wire problem of 250/300. it certainly IS one. there is a lot of current going through the magneto charge wires to the regulator. half the vespas that have been through my hands have burned melted connecters, modified already with different clip and no plastic housing. or the spade clips eliminated by soldering or crimp clamps. this issue is aggravated by moisture/oxidation. the connections suffer poor ability to handle current flow as a result. ends up like having a 16gauge wire when a 10 gauge is what is needed. heat is generated. this is why the connection often fails. I cant confirm but the 200 may not have this potential problem. it may have less charge current .
We only saw issues with older GT and GTS bikes when they had been modified by owners, owners who often didn't do things properly and didn't even know what they were doing. Often they would sell a bike that they have removed electrical farkles from but not bothered to insulate or tie off the cables correctly so big trouble was always going to happen for some poor owner later down the line. That said we never ever saw big issues with any of the Vespas or Piaggio bikes in general regarding electricals or even mechanicals. Only bike that went up in flames was a Suzuki GXS1400 from our GSX1400 club. That too was due to poor workmanship by the owner causing a short. Piaggios in general were just about the same as any Japanese or other european bikes. Just saying how we found them to be.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Ha, and I get accused of vacillating.

Is it any wonder?! Every other post is convinced one model or the other is better. JerryD essentially argues for the GTS 250, 300 and GT200 in one post! And I see his point! Pros and cons to each.
I think you do understand that you are asking "in my opinion" questions of folks with a broad range of personal opinions. No wonder the responses run the gamut. Don't expect consensus. And yes, pros and cons depending on YOUR priorities - which are likely different than the priorities of many others responding. Have fun.
OP
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Yes of course.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
We only saw issues with older GT and GTS bikes when they had been modified by owners, owners who often didn't do things properly and didn't even know what they were doing.
Please don't make this about anti-freeze.
Stromrider wrote:
Even if a wiring loom is not available for a particular bike, it's not hard to fashion one if one knows what you are doing so it's perfectly possible to go to the right sort of dealer or auto electrician and get them to fashion or modify and fit a new harness. I've done it more times than I care to remember over the years on many bikes that long ago finished it's parts run. This will be expensive but if it came to it and you really want that bike it can be worth it to you.

I saw a 50s Ford Pickup with a Nissan marine diesel engine in Uruguay, so yes, someone with enough time and talent could probably combine a Vespa GTS and a Honda Foresight and end up with something that runs. But cobbling parts together is not quite the ownership experience most modern Vespa riders hope for.
Stromrider wrote:
Overall I get what Motovista is saying about the spares situation becomeing more difficult on some bikes as they age. That's what can happen. But the GT200 and the 250's are far from being hard to get bits for, at least, not here in europe....
Okay, I'll play. Let's see if things really are so different in the alternate universe where Peugeot makes reliable cars (that aren't just rebadged Japanese cars ). I need a front and rear headset for a 2006 GT200 with ROUND start and horn buttons, in 79/A. Where are they in stock? How about a taillight assembly while we're at it?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
We only saw issues with older GT and GTS bikes when they had been modified by owners, owners who often didn't do things properly and didn't even know what they were doing. Often they would sell a bike that they have removed electrical farkles from but not bothered to insulate or tie off the cables correctly so big trouble was always going to happen for some poor owner later down the line. That said we never ever saw big issues with any of the Vespas or Piaggio bikes in general regarding electricals or even mechanicals. Only bike that went up in flames was a Suzuki GXS1400 from our GSX1400 club. That too was due to poor workmanship by the owner causing a short. Piaggios in general were just about the same as any Japanese or other european bikes. Just saying how we found them to be.
"East Anglia, a dryer region of the UK than Israel"

florida is the rain capitol of the world. very difficult to keep anything dry. pretty much has to be stored indoor with a/c. moisture in the air is pretty much like being in light rain conditions as far as oxidation, rust, etc. add the salty air that flows over the state and maybe you can imagine there is a vast difference in maintenance from your space and ours.

I have visited drier states here. arizona is dry. I remember waking up in the morning and my tongue was literally stuck to the side of my mouth. and then walking off the plane in tampa its like walking into an oven. 90 degrees here is hotter than 110 in arizona.

moisture is the king of destruction when it comes to mechanicals. we have it in spades.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
"East Anglia, a dryer region of the UK than Israel"

florida is the rain capitol of the world. very difficult to keep anything dry. pretty much has to be stored indoor with a/c. moisture in the air is pretty much like being in light rain conditions as far as oxidation, rust, etc. add the salty air that flows over the state and maybe you can imagine there is a vast difference in maintenance from your space and ours.

I have visited drier states here. arizona is dry. I remember waking up in the morning and my tongue was literally stuck to the side of my mouth. and then walking off the plane in tampa its like walking into an oven. 90 degrees here is hotter than 110 in arizona.

moisture is the king of destruction when it comes to mechanicals. we have it in spades.
We have more salt per mile put on our roads than most european countries in winter, we experience the widest range of weather including rain. I live near the coast too, East Anglia borders the north see, a very cold wet salty environment. Where I live is extremely dry compared to other parts of the UK but go down the road and it's wetter than you'll find in many places. We get the full gammet of weather in the UK so your argument is not particularly valid, but I see the point you are trying to make. But it's not relevant here.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Please don't make this about anti-freeze.

Yeah...your funny, or should that be strange!

I saw a 50s Ford Pickup with a Nissan marine diesel engine in Uruguay, so yes, someone with enough time and talent could probably combine a Vespa GTS and a Honda Foresight and end up with something that runs. But cobbling parts together is not quite the ownership experience most modern Vespa riders hope for.

Well it's not that hard Motovista. If you were a tech you would understand a little better. It's often easier to make a whole new loom from scratch for some bikes and for others cannibalise an existing loom. Yes it takes a little time and the customer pays for that. Granted folks don't want to wait, but that's one of the "joys" of owning an older bike, as per the point I made in an earlier post.

Okay, I'll play. Let's see if things really are so different in the alternate universe where Peugeot makes reliable cars (that aren't just rebadged Japanese cars ). I need a front and rear headset for a 2006 GT200 with ROUND start and horn buttons, in 79/A. Where are they in stock? How about a taillight assembly while we're at it?

Now you are getting even funnier. What has Peugeot got to do with anything? But back on point in the real world. Currently you can get mostly any part for the older bikes we are talking about, as you well know, but you may have to wait for it. And that is irrespective of the manufacturer of the bike. Body parts: they may be available in primer only for some colours as they don't do production runs in individual colours after a certain amount of time has elapsed. So that's the same as for any manufacturer such as Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha etc etc. I tend to use a company called Fowlers here in the UK quite a bit as they carry huge amounts of stock for many makes of bike. What they don't have they usually get very quickly. I know many State side folks use them too to overcome the difficulties some of you guys seem to experience with obtaining some items. It seems good parts suppliers are hard to come by in many parts of the States. But we have many good supplier folks over here. I've obtained very hard to get items for bikes and scooters in the past for bike over 25 years old and that were not in stock. and yes this includes Piaggio parts.

Fowlers I'm sure can get the parts you need. Here's an exercise for you. Why don't you check and come back and tell us. I know the answer to the question so you cannot lie about it. Click through the link below. Parts are availabe that's the key message and very few folks ever get stuck. Going back to my previous posts, I recommended going for the later bike as parts are more readily available off the shelf without a wait. It all depend how much someone wants to have an older bike and how much they are prepared to put up with regarding waiting for parts. Often suppliers don't want to order and wait for parts so they tell customers that parts are not available. It's a common story but when you actually check, usually that's not the case. It seems doing some work for customers is not on the agenda of some suppliers.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/manufacturer/vespa/bike/vespa-gt-200/year/2005-2008/model/granturismo-200-l-uk-chassis-number-prefix-zapm31200/country/all-countries

PS. because I haven't heard from you, I must withdraw my offer to you of coming over next vacation (or whenever) to visit our workshops and research centre and see the stuff I and others used to do. You are perhaps unable to come over or not interested. Shame as we may have done business if you could lose the attitude.

@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like more than one person in this thread needs to lose a bit of that attitude….
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
We have more salt per mile put on our roads than most european countries in winter, we experience the widest range of weather including rain. I live near the coast too, East Anglia borders the north see, a very cold wet salty environment. Where I live is extremely dry compared to other parts of the UK but go down the road and it's wetter than you'll find in many places. We get the full gammet of weather in the UK so your argument is not particularly valid, but I see the point you are trying to make. But it's not relevant here.
maybe not relative for you because you want to support your statement bikes in the uk dont have same problems I see here. three of the four bikes I worked on recently have the electric harness problem I pointed out. I am just offering data that there is a problem with reliability of the gts harnesses. moisture in the air plays a huge roll in the problem. so how and where a bike is stored , and how often its started is very relevant.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Forget it Jerry, it’s Chinatown.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
You guys are so funny! ROFL emoticon
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
maybe not relative for you because you want to support your statement bikes in the uk dont have same problems I see here. three of the four bikes I worked on recently have the electric harness problem I pointed out. I am just offering data that there is a problem with reliability of the gts harnesses. moisture in the air plays a huge roll in the problem. so how and where a bike is stored , and how often its started is very relevant.
I speak as I find jerry. Not saying there are no issues at all on older bikes, I've already attested to that, but that's pretty normal for most brands. I worked on all of them over the years and in particular large volumes of Piaggio bikes. The UK weather environment is harsh on cars and bikes and is the testing place for many european brands. If it does well over here it will normally do well pretty much everywhere. No China town in sight. Just saying.
UTC

GT 200

GT 200
UTC quote
Hi, GT 200 can be fixed easily, is slower that 250ie, has less power ( a couple of hp)

GT 200 L has a carburetor, GTS 250 has injection

in case, a carburettor is very cheaper than a IE module ( 5x $ )
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Maas, you are right in what you say. However, don't forget that fuel injection can and usually does go the lifetime of the bike without any issues. As I write this I'm looking at a GTS300 (2010 model) with 79,500 miles on the clock. Everything on it is original except for consumables (that includes a water pump) and particularly applies to the fuel injection system. It just runs. A GT200 with same miles will easily need one or two carb rebuilds or complete carb replacement. That's not a problem but is a reason fuel injection is so good and much preferred by many. And it's not that expensive or difficult to fix if it goes wrong. But as I said, your point is well taken.
UTC

GT 200

GT 200
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Maas, you are right in what you say. However, don't forget that fuel injection can and usually does go the lifetime of the bike without any issues. As I write this I'm looking at a GTS300 (2010 model) with 79,500 miles on the clock. Everything on it is original except for consumables (that includes a water pump) and particularly applies to the fuel injection system. It just runs. A GT200 with same miles will easily need one or two carb rebuilds or complete carb replacement. That's not a problem but is a reason fuel injection is so good and much preferred by many. And it's not that expensive or difficult to fix if it goes wrong. But as I said, your point is well taken.
you can use a same size Keihin carburettor to buy on the web. 30-40£

I do it for a et4 125 and works great ( the difference is in the "accelerating pump" : in the original is mechanical, in mine is pneumatic linked to vacuum circuit)
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Fowlers I'm sure can get the parts you need. Here's an exercise for you. Why don't you check and come back and tell us. I know the answer to the question so you cannot lie about it. Click through the link below. Parts are availabe that's the key message and very few folks ever get stuck. Going back to my previous posts, I recommended going for the later bike as parts are more readily available off the shelf without a wait. It all depend how much someone wants to have an older bike and how much they are prepared to put up with regarding waiting for parts. Often suppliers don't want to order and wait for parts so they tell customers that parts are not available. It's a common story but when you actually check, usually that's not the case. It seems doing some work for customers is not on the agenda of some suppliers.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/browser/manufacturer/vespa/bike/vespa-gt-200/year/2005-2008/model/granturismo-200-l-uk-chassis-number-prefix-zapm31200/country/all-countries

PS. because I haven't heard from you, I must withdraw my offer to you of coming over next vacation (or whenever) to visit our workshops and research centre and see the stuff I and others used to do. You are perhaps unable to come over or not interested. Shame as we may have done business if you could lose the attitude.
LOFingL:

https://us.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5707649/vespa-gt-200-vespa-gt-200-granturismo-200-l-uk-chassis-number-prefix-zapm31200-2005-2008-granturismo-200-l-uk-chassis-number-pre/handlebars-coverages
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I was going to leave that unsaid.
One thing that bears mention is that Piaggio USA probably has a lot more parts warehoused for early modern models than the mothership. Back in 2008-2010, they lost about 3/4 of their dealers, and most of the flooring was done through GE. As much as Piaggio would have preferred to leave unsold parts with the dealers who were going under, GE made them take a lot of parts and other inventory back. And in many cases, they haven't ever adjusted prices. So it is occasionally possible to search for a plastic for a Fly, to use a recent example, and find that I can get it for $180 from Pontedera, then check on the site of a company that sells parts in the US and find the same part listed for $28.65. I stopped asking if it was a mistake, and started ordering the parts as soon as I saw that. And they always showed up.
This is not as common as it was about ten years ago, but it still happens.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Hi Motovista, I'll give you that one regarding the headset and it's useful info of course.

A point to note is that it was still available to order on the day I posted the link (but obviously not being produced by the factory). Fowlers said they only take it down when an order goes in for a part and they get the 'no longer available' signal from the factory. I note it's still "available" elsewhere over here, but actually it is unlikely unless it's on the shelf. There does have to be a cut off point for the factory.

The GT200 is nearly 19 years old over here now and by comparison to the GTS models, it never sold in great numbers due to a short production run. I'm told they can be converted with some ingenuity to later spec and switches but I've never had to do that.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0165s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0096s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]