OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Nobody at Piaggio will tell you these bikes are designed to be long range 80 mph tourers, any more than the Hyundai Sonata is designed to compose classical music. It's a name. Piaggio governs them down so they won't exceed a speed at which Piaggio believes they will last, at least through the warranty period, if you check the oil every time you ride it.
So much of the ownership and dealership experience comes back to being the person who's bike they want to work on, not the one they will do anything they can to avoid. If you have a dealership telling you to take the bike somewhere else, especially now that the season is about over and they are looking for work, think about what you can do to change that and make them want to help you.
The guy who doesn't want to see the bike is swamped with bikes he's working on, all recent sales. Somethings up. And you are bending over backwards to try to sort of say "this is normal." The old ones didn't have these problems, the new ones do. Start there.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
No, I'm the one who said the HPE engines had issues from the beginning. What I'm saying to you is that what you've been doing is compounding any issues you might have with the bike, and making it hard for you to get any sort of support at the dealership or manufacturer level.
https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2426887#2426887
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
No, I'm the one who said the HPE engines had issues from the beginning. What I'm saying to you is that what you've been doing is compounding any issues you might have with the bike, and making it hard for you to get any sort of support at the dealership or manufacturer level.
https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2426887#2426887
Oh well shit, didn't know that. what you think I should do? Obviously nothing was getting solved or fixed with the 2019 problems during 2020 and the pandemic may have compounded the issues.

I'm not being rude to the service people or anything and it sounds like the people near me want to see it fixed via warranty if it is consuming large amounts of oil. Or are you saying that it might be smarter to not have that documented, to maintain the thing regularly and bring it in for premature wear if it comes down to that. All that has been documented is broken dipstick.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
First off, if you check the oil often, not every time you ride it, but pretty often, and add when oil is down, it will use less oil.
Get it into a Vespa dealership, get it serviced, and, assuming they give it back and say everything's fine, don't ever post anything again that would imply that you haven't maintained it correctly. Once it comes back from the dealership, the assumption would be that a dealership inspected it and it's fine. After that, if it breaks, it's harder for them to say it's because of something you did.
If it was my personal bike, I would change the oil every 3K miles. I think the design of the top end, which is about all that's really different, puts a lot more stress on motor oil than the old one did.
Remember that the company that made the bike and the company that sold you the bike aren't the same company, but you aren't going to successfully pit them against one another.
And don't get a sight glass pan until you are out of warranty. People at the dealership level know that takes the bike out of warranty. Dealers and technicians hate warranty work and the lemon law. The sight glass oil pan fixes both those problems for them, and makes them a bit of money at the same time. If you don't believe that, ask Piaggio corporate, not someone trying to sell you one.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
First off, if you check the oil often, not every time you ride it, but pretty often, and add when oil is down, it will use less oil.
Get it into a Vespa dealership, get it serviced, and, assuming they give it back and say everything's fine, don't ever post anything again that would imply that you haven't maintained it correctly. Once it comes back from the dealership, the assumption would be that a dealership inspected it and it's fine. After that, if it breaks, it's harder for them to say it's because of something you did.
If it was my personal bike, I would change the oil every 3K miles. I think the design of the top end, which is about all that's really different, puts a lot more stress on motor oil than the old one did.
Remember that the company that made the bike and the company that sold you the bike aren't the same company, but you aren't going to successfully pit them against one another.
And don't get a sight glass pan until you are out of warranty. People at the dealership level know that takes the bike out of warranty. Dealers and technicians hate warranty work and the lemon law. The sight glass oil pan fixes both those problems for them, and makes them a bit of money at the same time. If you don't believe that, ask Piaggio corporate, not someone trying to sell you one.
So should I bring it in re: consumption issues or should I just bring it in for its regular 6000 mile service interval which is coming up?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I'm following this because years ago I had Serious problems with the Piaggio warranty (BV 250) ... What do you mean when you talk about "lemons"?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
I'm following this because years ago I had Serious problems with the Piaggio warranty (BV 250) ... What do you mean when you talk about "lemons"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law

Also:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Ah yes, here they are referred to as "technical recalls". There is a website of our transport ministry that lists them.

https://www.mit.gov.it/documentazione/bollettino-semestrale-di-richiamo-dei-veicoli-difettosi

Motorcycles and scooters from page 1022

https://www.mit.gov.it/sites/default/files/media/documentazione/2020-01/Bollettino%20semestrale%20di%20richiamo%20dei%20veicoli%20difettosi%20n.38.pdf
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
I wasn't aware of this one and I wonder if it does apply also to models made for the Asian market...
Quote:
47 – GTS 125-300/GTV sei giorni 300
Periodo di produzione: ottobre 2018/ottobre 2019
Numero moto da richiamare: 2951
Difetto: possibile malfunzionamento freni causa allungamento corsa leva
Inizio campagna di richiamo: novembre 2019
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
UTC quote
I'm going to try to simplify this. If you're afraid of warranty issues, keep the old oil pan and buy an extra gasket. If something goes wrong, have the original pan replaced B4 you take it in for warranty work.
I can't for the life of me, understand how someone brave enough to ride a PTW is so afraid of working on one. If you can't do something so simple as an oil pan swap with video direction and MV support, you should learn how to bend over and spread them without whining so much.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I can't for the life of me, understand how someone brave enough to ride a PTW is so afraid of working on one. If you can't do something so simple as an oil pan swap with video direction and MV support, you should learn how to bend over and spread them without whining so much.
Well that was straight forward and to the point... well put.
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
breaknwind wrote:
I'm going to try to simplify this. If you're afraid of warranty issues, keep the old oil pan and buy an extra gasket. If something goes wrong, have the original pan replaced B4 you take it in for warranty work.
Answer, my mom passed away, I'm depressed, and a bike shouldn't be imploding this easily. Fixed plenty of problems on the old one.

Some of us don't got time to work on a defective bike all the time AND post homophobic stuff online. if I wanted to do dirt bike amounts of maintenance I'd have bought a dirt bike. Much cheaper maybe more reliable
OP
UTC

Hooked
vespa gts250

Hooked
vespa gts250
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Well that was straight forward and to the point... well put.
You could of course go to a different thread no?
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I think we are done with anything productive here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0299s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0164s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]