@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
I have been reading about people installing Dr.Pulley sliders ( I myself had installed those sliders on my previous GTS 300).
But I haven't read about members changing the OEM clutch for the Dr.Pulley Clutch.
A rudimentary search of the forum for this clutch doesn't seem to garner a lot of info.
I wondering how many people have changed the default OEM clutch for something else.
According to reviews on the internets, people report a increase in power i.e. 1HP increase approximately according one of the reviews.
I wonder if it is worth $300 to install. Are most people comfortable with the stock cluthc.
I am comfortable with the stock clutch but I do plan replace the rollers with sliders and possibly change out the bell. Cost wise it is about $300 but not sure if the benefits are worth it given most of the riding I do is in the city, not sure increased power would play a bigger role riding in stop and go traffic.
Any thoughts and wisdom to share on this
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I'm certainly interested in any info about kitting out an HPE. It's been out long enough that I imagine somebody's tried stuff.

Everything I have is stock, save for the speedo disc. I wonder if I should try some Dr P sliders at my next service.

(Edit: sorry, I thought I remembered you having an HPE. Nevermind then. 🕳️)
OP
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
I have the GTS 2018 version prior to which I had the 2010 version, that had sliders on it and it was great, will do the sliders on this as well. But I haven't read about MV members trying the Dr.Pulley Clutch.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
So, I have no direct experience with this product. But having messed with performance clutches on other scoots I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering on a stock scooter. When you consider the purpose of the clutch in the CVT drivetrain, its function is intended to be effectively ON or OFF with the exception of that (important) small cushion window when going from disengaged to engaged. The role of a performance clutch is to help ensure the clutch is engaged/not slipping when it needs to be even when the demands are extreme (the idea being the stock clutch tuning can't quite do this optimally).

The clutch will slip a little under takeoff (by design, as with a manual you could expect a stall or a wheelie if the motor and wheel are mated together instantaneously; the harder, the more likely you'll notice) and may slip under heavy loads - but your scoot will ride the same when underway for the most part. Looking at the Dr. page for this it looks like its hook is it uses torque as well as centripetal force to really ensure the clutch pads are clamped down as hard as they can (minimizing that slip, with the assumption that there is more than there needs to be on stock when you really push it)
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
I tried the HIT clutch about a year ago. I didn't notice any difference in take-off, so maybe the original clutch doesn't slip much anyway. But what I did notice was a nasty jerk as it took when I opened the throttle at low speed, e.g. coasting up to the lights and then they turn green so you take off, or even approaching an intersection carefully and then accelerating through..

So yet another mod joined the pile in a drawer in my shed.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
It's all part of the elaborate ruse to build a moto from the parts in your shed.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
It's all part of the elaborate ruse to build a moto from the parts in your shed.
ROFL emoticon I think I'm just short a frame on building a 3rd vespa at this point
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
you cant get extra hp from a clutch. scooter clutches are centrifugal. once fully engaged there is no slipping. the clutch only slips during the engagement window. the slip during this rpm window is important. the slipping keeps the bike driving smooth. if you shorten the slip window by installing a more grabby friction material you will feel the clutch lock up at low speeds. bike will have annoying lurch.

the only changes to a clutch that should be considered is changing spring tension. this changes at what rpm the clutch engages at. it only effects take off where the clutch is in the slip window. stiffer springs raises the rpm engagement point. ie more powerful takeoff. but there is a sacrifice. low speed maneuvers suffer. more challenging to feather the clutch.

engagement rpm ~2000 is very low compare to peak hp rpm ~6000
clutches dont slip at 2500rpm they are already locked.
they certainly aint slipping (much higher centrifugal force) at 6000 rpm
so no. you cant get 1hp from a clutch change. you can get the harder launch feel which people equate to making more power because the clutch engaged later. and this can be achieved with low cost spring change.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0148s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0072s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]