OP
UTC

'18 GTS

'18 GTS
UTC quote
Hello all! I just got my motorcycle license and am looking to go a bit quicker than my 2020 Primavera 50. The used market near me includes a 2013 GTS 300 with ~800 miles and a 2017 Primavera 150 with 4,000 miles. Both in great shape, both $4k. I’m looking for something to run around the city in and take on the occasional backroad trip to the burbs (with my partner on the back!).

All things equal, my impression is that the GTS is a lot more scooter. Though this example is low mileage, it is 8 years old and I’m worried about the age being a factor. Am I worried over nothing? Or, for my mostly-city usage, would the Prima actually be better? I am used the weight and love how nimble my 50cc is. Is one of these a better deal?

Would love to hear any thoughts- thanks in advance!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
if you want highway capable, or plan longer trips, get the GTS
around town the 150 will be fine and dandy. heck, you could even do some trans mods or knock on a 190 kit if you're feeling frisky.

either way, I'd try negotiating those prices down a fair amount. at 3~325 I'd be throwing cash, and 35 wouldn't be awful, for either. but more than that, wait for a better deal or buy new.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
If you’re hauling a passenger periodically I’d opt for the 300. If the bike has been properly garaged and halfway taken care of the age really shouldn’t be a factor.

If the 300 hasn’t been garaged and is looking a bit weathered it might be best to look elsewhere.

Take your time and don’t rush into it, there’s always another fish in the pond.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
GTS
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like this is intended to be an in-town ride. I'd think the Prima would do that well while being lighter weight and somewhat quicker steering than the GTS. Now if you anticipate more riding in the countryside........
OP
UTC

'18 GTS

'18 GTS
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
Sounds like this is intended to be an in-town ride. I'd think the Prima would do that well while being lighter weight and somewhat quicker steering than the GTS. Now if you anticipate more riding in the countryside........
Indeed I probably spend my time doing 80% inner-city riding and 20% backroads- I do love how nimble my Primavera feels. It sounds like the GTS might feel more cumbersome when filtering (legal here, if inadvisable) and doing other tight city stuff.

Would a 150 do alright with a passenger up to around 50mph? (We weigh a combined ~250lbs) I have no interest in doing highways but I want to keep up on faster local parkways! Perhaps the 150 is enough; I’m always surprised how far our trusty 50 can take us.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
piaggibro wrote:
Would a 150 do alright with a passenger up to around 50mph? (We weigh a combined ~250lbs) I have no interest in doing highways but I want to keep up on faster local parkways! Perhaps the 150 is enough; I’m always surprised how far our trusty 50 can take us.
I am probably not the one to ask. I don't like riding two up regardless of the bike. My riding partner has her own scooter. Having said that, I don't doubt the larger size, greater weight, and additional power of the GTS makes it a better 2-up ride.
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Vespa Elettrica, GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I have an Elettrica, which has the same body and handling as a Primavera. I love it for riding around town.

I bought a GTS because I wanted to ride through the hill country near me, and needed more range and more scooter.

I thought I'd be using the Elettrica for in town, and the GTS for out of town. What I discovered is I ride the GTS everywhere. It is easy to get around in town, I like the acceleration when I need it, and I don't find it cumbersome at all.

Do I sometimes take the Elettrica when in town just because it feels lighter and more nimble? Yes, sometimes. But when I do, it is the quiet that I value the most.

Two minor notes: I find myself really enjoying the shopping bag hook and wider floorplate the GTS offers. It makes shopping that much easier. And the real high beam is a big help at night.

Bottom line: either scooter is great in town. The GTS is more flexible; it gives you more options.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
Buy the one with a well documented service history. I’d be a little wary of a 2013 GTS with that few miles… Has the owner been changing the engine oil every year? How about the coolant and brake fluid every two years? Why does it have so few miles? I’d want some assurances that the GTS’s previous owner hasn’t been driving the thing 100 miles per year for the past 8 years with the original fluids still in use. And I agree with greasy on the price… $3500 or less.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0119s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]