@alloo avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hooked
@alloo avatar
2022 Suzuki Burgman 400
UTC quote
Do any of you use earbuds when riding? I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in Earbuds or a Sena Helmet system. I want some music and maps when I need it. I don't own a car so its my motorcycle and scooter that gets me where I need. I also ride an ebike, but I use a bluetooth speaker for that vehicle. Thank You
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
I use Sena.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I use earbuds when riding my e-bike (bicycle) - they fit fine under that bike helmet. I've found earbuds aren't comfortable under my motorcycle helmet, and tend to get pulled out when I take the helmet off. We use helmet communicators in our helmets.

So, each - to be used as best suits.
@stevemster avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stevemster avatar
UTC quote
I might use ear plugs on a very long ride to reduce wind noise, but I would never wear ear buds to play music while riding. Good read here;

https://www.motormaids.org/earbuds-while-riding-motorcycle/
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
SteveMster wrote:
I might use ear plugs on a very long ride to reduce wind noise, but I would never wear ear buds to play music while riding. Good read here;

https://www.motormaids.org/earbuds-while-riding-motorcycle/
Interesting how the rules vary by state.
Also interesting how they actually recommend installing speakers instead of using earbuds. What The? emoticon
What next, loud pipes save lives? ROFL emoticon

The conclusion: "So it is up to you to decide whether wearing earbuds while on a bike is worth it or not. For us, it is better to prevent accidents completely instead of leaving it to chance. What do you think?" I think riding a scooter is inherently dangerous, and if I were to write an article to parallel this one, the conclusion would be that no one should ride a scooter.

Incidentally, their use of the word "accidents" in the last bit is curious. Very rare, this "accident" thing. Much more common is a "crash". But what really puts me off is the mere concept of "prevent accidents completely". Like I said, don't ride, it's dangerous.

Facepalm emoticon
@wheelz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2010 GTS 300 super, 2009 Genuine rattler 110

Hooked
@wheelz avatar
2010 GTS 300 super, 2009 Genuine rattler 110
UTC quote
Oh man … Earbuds might be the new Helmet thread… ROFL emoticon
That being said, I use them on longer rides for ear protection and to be able to hear my navigation.
I do love music when I ride, in those instances I use 1 ear only and a reasonable volume.
Do what you are comfortable with.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Cardo seems to be reviewers' universal favorite for audio while riding.

I ride with custom-fit earplugs and a Cardo Packtalk Slim.

I'd be concerned about fit and comfort riding with earbuds in. I'd be concerned for ear safety too, although I suppose your ear drum is deep enough that you couldn't damage it with an earbud, even with any weird torque the helmet would apply.

Still, wind noise can louder than you might realize; it can permanently damage your hearing, which is why I always ride with -25dB earplugs.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I tried ear buds before I bought a Sena. I found that it was hard to get my helmet on without knocking the buds out and even if I succeeded in getting my helmet on it would be long before movement would knock the buds out.

What I also like about speakers is you can still use earplugs.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I just use one earbud at a time. Good enough for navigation and the occasional podcast.

I don’t particularly care for the distraction of music when I’m engaged in an experiential activity like riding, skiing, or sailing. The sound of those activities is part of the pleasure, and sometimes safety too.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I use a Sony SBH54 Bluetooth Headset, and good quality in ear headphones. If you want to crank the tunes its nice to have physical buttons for volume and track skip.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
I wear Apple AirPods Pros on my BMW behind a windscreen and a relatively quiet helmet. I use it to quiet the noise inside my helmet, not to listen to music. The AirPods Pros have adaptive noise canceling which works very well. Depending on how well I get the AirPods to fit in my ears, the sound can be deafeningly quiet. I can get GPS voice directions from my iPhone at low volume even at 70 mph. I never go on a ride without them. I can still hear traffic and sirens without a problem. I got them specifically to reduce the sound level in my ears because loud noise, such as continuous loud noise in a helmet, triggers tinnitus for me. Trust me. You do not want to get tinnitus - which si also called ringing in the ears. Some people have it 24 hours a day and there is no cure. It's commonly caused by loud noises. It's best to avoid it. Mine is sporadic but it gets quieter if I avoid loud noises.

The noise quieting experience will vary based on your bike's set up (windscreen, how high, design, ...), your helmet and other factors that affect noise inside your helmet. I have a Shoei modular helmet which is noted for its quietness. I also pulled out the chin shield which, surprisingly, improved the quietness and sometimes partially close the face shield which also helps. You'll just have to try it all on your bike. At least you can purchase them for a 1 (or 2?) week no-risk trial to see what you think.

Best
Miguel
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
ear buds all the way. air pods with some rubber grip attachments, aint goin no where, and music for daysssssss
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Trust me. You do not want to get tinnitus - which si also called ringing in the ears. Some people have it 24 hours a day and there is no cure. It's commonly caused by loud noises. It's best to avoid it. Mine is sporadic but it gets quieter if I avoid loud noises.
Ever go to a concert, and on your way home things are harder to hear and your ears are ringing? It's like that, but for the rest of your life. Do not recommend.
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie

Molto Verboso
GTS 300ie
UTC quote
I read somewhere that electro shock therapy was working for a lot of people.
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Most of us over here use either ear buds when using phone or other media devices or proper ear plug protection. Over here it is widely recommended to protect ones hearing. Ear plugs do not stop you hearing the traffic, that's a common misconception. I use both when needed. It seems crazy to me that some states forbid the use of ear protection, but then, it's not a legal requirement to wear a helmet in some states so I guess you guys have a way to go yet!
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I've thought to check out the new Sony WF-1000XM4, just for noise cancelling.

They seem to win almost all latest comparison reviews especially due to their sound quality and noise cancelling proterties.

I spend some serious time comparing the market leading full headphones with noise cancelling features and found Sony WH-1000XM4 to be absolutely the best for me - that's why the interest towards the new buds. Funnily enough, I bought them to reduce noise during flights, has not been an issue lately... ..

I'm still a bit worried about the size though. Looks quite slim in the pics, definitely smaller than the old XM3, but I still wonder how they'll slip past my very snuggly fitting Arai full face helmet interior. Even the earplugs tend to get caught in the process if not perfectly installed deep into my ears.
Sony WF-1000XM4. Looks good, are mighty expensive, but will they stay in place under the lid?
Sony WF-1000XM4. Looks good, are mighty expensive, but will they stay in place under the lid?
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
67 years of riding, over 1.5 million miles---I prefer to pay attention to the riding!! Foam ear plugs work to stop some of the noise.
@somerset avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey 2023 Honda - The Super Cub

Addicted
@somerset avatar
2019 Honda - The Monkey 2023 Honda - The Super Cub
UTC quote
I can thoroughly recommend Ultimate earplugs which are made with silicon from an impression made of both of your ears so they are totally unique to you.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2012 BV 350, 2013 BMW C650 GT, 2015 Indian Chieftain

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC quote
I have used fitted ear buds designed for wearing under a helmet for several years. Great noise reduction - I can listen to music or whatever at about 30% volume and hear it fine. I still hear traffic, horns, obnoxious exhausts, etc. the company that made mine was acquired by Inearz - I just upgraded to a Bluetooth version and absolutely love it.

Not a low price option and add about $100 for an audiologist fitting, but fabulous noise reduction and music options.

https://inearzsport.com/collections/motorcycle/products/uh-1
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
john grinsel wrote:
67 years of riding, over 1.5 million miles---I prefer to pay attention to the riding!! Foam ear plugs work to stop some of the noise.
Hero!
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
john grinsel wrote:
I do the same.
I have done for all my 26-year riding past.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I have the ear canals of an infant. No 'buds for me, foam plugs neither. I use Mac's silicone moldable plugs every time. My Tinnitus is not loud, but it never stops Thanks Capt Beefheart.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I use hearing aids all the time, including when I ride. They have Bluetooth so they can link to a phone and stream music or directions. They work - and a pair cost $3200. You want to discuss ripoffs? Start here.
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tn_sooner avatar
UTC quote
Per a DM request, here’s a picture of my InEarz setup.

For reference, the book in the pic is about 8”x5”. Yes, there is some cordage and mechanics/battery that connect the earpieces. It has a rubberized section that is made to sort of lay across the back of your neck, so the cord sort of dangles from your ear down to your chest.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Most of us over here use either ear buds when using phone or other media devices or proper ear plug protection. Over here it is widely recommended to protect ones hearing. Ear plugs do not stop you hearing the traffic, that's a common misconception. I use both when needed. It seems crazy to me that some states forbid the use of ear protection, but then, it's not a legal requirement to wear a helmet in some states so I guess you guys have a way to go yet!
Yeah, that. Here in Michigan you can get a ticket ($65) for not wearing your seatbelt in a cage with eleventy airbags because safety. Per Michigan's MSP website :
Quote:
Seat belts have saved 344,448 lives since 1975, when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) first began recording this data. If everyone had been wearing a seat belt since, an additional 381,787 lives could have been saved.
While at the same time, according to the SOS :
Quote:
Michigan law now allows motorcyclists to decide for themselves, if certain conditions are met, whether or not to wear a helmet.
and :
Quote:
"Since head injuries account for a majority of motorcycle fatalities, protection is vital. . . . Even the best helmet is no guarantee against injury. However, without a helmet you are more likely to have serious head injuries than a rider who is wearing one."
I've tried earbuds and found them uncomfortable, but I've never spent up for good ones that fit my helmet/head well.

As for the people in the speaker camp, I had an experience just yesterday that sums up my opinion. Again, I stress opinion.

I was riding my Aprilia through Gaslight Village. It's a thriving business district with lots of outdoor cafes and foot traffic and adjacent to Collins Park on Reeds Lake. It's a beautiful outdoor area.

As I was approaching I heard what sounded like an outdoor concert. They have a little amphitheater in the center of town that would be ideal for that sort of thing. The closer I got - and the louder the music became - I realized that it was the motorcycle approaching me.

No brand names will be mentioned, but it was a full dresser with loud pipes and an even louder stereo to cover up the noise from the pipes. The rider, helmetless and shirtless (because how else would he enjoy his cigarette whilst showing off his wide assortment of tattoos) looked from side to side with a grin that expressed his joy and amusement at the cacophony he was creating and how it was an interruption to everone's otherwise enjoyable afternoon. It was so loud that it echoed from building to building.

We get this sort of behavior a lot, both from motorcycles and cars. At a certain point you are doing nothing more than actively irritating everyone around you. Don't be that guy.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
alloo wrote:
Do any of you use earbuds when riding? I'm trying to decide whether or not to invest in Earbuds or a Sena Helmet system. I want some music and maps when I need it. I don't own a car so its my motorcycle and scooter that gets me where I need. I also ride an ebike, but I use a bluetooth speaker for that vehicle. Thank You
I do not use earbuds. Once above 50 - 60kmh the only thing I hear is the wind.
GPS I use purely visual, as I do in the car. I do not need vocal help. This poor lady in de GPS that is constantly telling me I am driving too fast? Shut her down.
@fergy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties

Hooked
@fergy avatar
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
UTC quote
wentwest wrote:
I use hearing aids all the time, including when I ride. They have Bluetooth so they can link to a phone and stream music or directions. They work - and a pair cost $3200. You want to discuss ripoffs? Start here.
My hearing aids are also Bluetooth but they come out when I ride and are replaced by good hearing protection plugs. Cause loud noises over my life are why I need the hearing aids😝
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Yeah, that. Here in Michigan you can get a ticket ($65) for not wearing your seatbelt in a cage with eleventy airbags because safety. Per Michigan's MSP website :

While at the same time, according to the SOS :

and :

I've tried earbuds and found them uncomfortable, but I've never spent up for good ones that fit my helmet/head well.

As for the people in the speaker camp, I had an experience just yesterday that sums up my opinion. Again, I stress opinion.

I was riding my Aprilia through Gaslight Village. It's a thriving business district with lots of outdoor cafes and foot traffic and adjacent to Collins Park on Reeds Lake. It's a beautiful outdoor area.

As I was approaching I heard what sounded like an outdoor concert. They have a little amphitheater in the center of town that would be ideal for that sort of thing. The closer I got - and the louder the music became - I realized that it was the motorcycle approaching me.

No brand names will be mentioned, but it was a full dresser with loud pipes and an even louder stereo to cover up the noise from the pipes. The rider, helmetless and shirtless (because how else would he enjoy his cigarette whilst showing off his wide assortment of tattoos) looked from side to side with a grin that expressed his joy and amusement at the cacophony he was creating and how it was an interruption to everone's otherwise enjoyable afternoon. It was so loud that it echoed from building to building.

We get this sort of behavior a lot, both from motorcycles and cars. At a certain point you are doing nothing more than actively irritating everyone around you. Don't be that guy.
I describe them as potato farmers
I live downtown, tato farmers & hot rods love to let their loud pipes & stereos breath echoing between the tall buildings
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I wear Apple AirPods Pros on my BMW behind a windscreen and a relatively quiet helmet. I use it to quiet the noise inside my helmet, not to listen to music. The AirPods Pros have adaptive noise canceling which works very well. Depending on how well I get the AirPods to fit in my ears, the sound can be deafeningly quiet. I can get GPS voice directions from my iPhone at low volume even at 70 mph. I never go on a ride without them. I can still hear traffic and sirens without a problem. I got them specifically to reduce the sound level in my ears because loud noise, such as continuous loud noise in a helmet, triggers tinnitus for me. Trust me. You do not want to get tinnitus - which si also called ringing in the ears. Some people have it 24 hours a day and there is no cure. It's commonly caused by loud noises. It's best to avoid it. Mine is sporadic but it gets quieter if I avoid loud noises.

The noise quieting experience will vary based on your bike's set up (windscreen, how high, design, ...), your helmet and other factors that affect noise inside your helmet. I have a Shoei modular helmet which is noted for its quietness. I also pulled out the chin shield which, surprisingly, improved the quietness and sometimes partially close the face shield which also helps. You'll just have to try it all on your bike. At least you can purchase them for a 1 (or 2?) week no-risk trial to see what you think.

Best
Miguel
Interesting post and observations, Miguel. I have three questions for you about your AirPods Pros, two of which may be easier to answer and the last not easy at all. First, the easier ones: I've occasionally used normal (1st generation) AirPods myself, and often when I take off my (snugly-fitting) helmet, it makes the AirPods pop out of my ears. Does this happen with the AirPod Pros as well? 2nd Easier question: when using normal AirPods inside my helmet, they often seem much softer (or harder to hear) than they do in normal (non-riding) use. Would the AirPod Pros sound louder? (I'm guessing they must, because of their noise-cancellation features, but am curious about your perceptions.) Finally the 3rd and harder question: it's about fit (and obviously fit is a subjective issue)-- I've found normal AirPods to be exceedingly comfortable. Obviously the fit system of the Pros is different, instead of hard plastic like the originals, one must affix what seems to be a slightly larger soft tip to them-- what are your overall perceptions of comfort? Do you find the Pros much more comfortable than the originals - or is it a toss-up?

Thanks again for your post, it opens up a number of interesting (to me) possibilities, especially if the noise-cancelling features come close to working as advertised.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
MiguelATF wrote:
I've occasionally used normal (1st generation) AirPods myself, and often when I take off my (snugly-fitting) helmet, it makes the AirPods pop out of my ears. Does this happen with the AirPod Pros as well?
For me the definitely come out when I remove my helmet. When I pull my helmet off, I try to get them to fall into the helmet rather than on the ground but I'm not always successful. But it works ok. Usually my rides are nonstop start-to-finish so its not a problem. Even when I fill up, I usually leave my helmet on. I rarely but occasionally stop for some food or another errand. Taking them out and putting them back in is not cumbersome, time-consuming or a hassle. It's just one more step.

You didn't ask me how I put my helmet on without dislodging the AirPods Pros but I'll tell you anyway. It took me a little trial and error to figure it out. I have a Shoei Modular helmet so the chin bar flips up which relaxes the helmet sides a bit so you can spread the checks apart by pulling on the straps. I first install the AirPods Pros. Then I grab the helmet by the chinstraps, spread the cheeks and throw it on top of my head and pull it down gently. They rarely dislodge. Then fasten up the straps, pulldown the chin bar, raise up the face shield and put on my sunglasses. I do just the reverse to take the helmet off and catch the AirPods Pros as described above.

After about an hour or so of riding, one or both AirPods seem to slip out of my ears and then it's like I'm not wearing any ear protection at all. I usually find a safe place to pull over, unclasp the strap, pull the strap on the side that needs adjustment and slip my opposite hand up by my ear and try to reseat the AirPods Pros. And since I had to stop, de-glove, and release the helmet strap, I reseat the other side as well, the same way. Sometimes, I have to pull my helmet off and start over.
MiguelATF wrote:
2nd Easier question: when using normal AirPods inside my helmet, they often seem much softer (or harder to hear) than they do in normal (non-riding) use. Would the AirPod Pros sound louder? (I'm guessing they must, because of their noise-cancellation features, but am curious about your perceptions.)
Not in my experience. I wear my AirPods Pros for watching news and other features. The volume seems about the same under all circumstances. I've occasionally switched-on music while riding which sounds great but I don't ride with music. I have also used the GPS voice navigation which works fine. Occasionally, I get a text which my iPhone reads to me. I can easily hear them at 70 mph - more on that below.
MiguelATF wrote:
Finally the 3rd and harder question: it's about fit (and obviously fit is a subjective issue)-- I've found normal AirPods to be exceedingly comfortable. Obviously the fit system of the Pros is different, instead of hard plastic like the originals, one must affix what seems to be a slightly larger soft tip to them-- what are your overall perceptions of comfort? Do you find the Pros much more comfortable than the originals - or is it a toss-up?

Thanks again for your post, it opens up a number of interesting (to me) possibilities, especially if the noise-cancelling features come close to working as advertised.
These are my first pair of AirPods so I don't know how they compare. My recommendation to you is to purchase them from Apple, BestBuy, Amazon, ... and give them a test run for a week or so. Return them if they don't work out. BTW, I purchased mine reconditioned from Apple or Amazon for about a 20% discount. Try all three of ear cushions.

Lastly, I thought I'd say a few words about helmet noise. I've experimented for years to make the acoustical noise that reaches my ears inside the helmet as quiet as possible. I did this to reduce the chance of triggering the occasional tinnitus I get. Mines' not bad and I credit my efforts to keep helmet noise as quiet as possible. Actually, you really care about the noise that gets into your ear canal. I've studied this for years and have a strong background in noise reduction and have a pretty good working knowledge of acoustics, sound perception and noise.

Here's all the things I've done to reduce noise level reaching my ear canals:
There are two sources of noise to be concerned with: engine noise and wind noise. Engine noise is relatively simple do deal with: Get a quiet bike. Vespas are pretty quiet and I never found them to be a problem. My BMW R1100RT has a 1100CC engine but its pretty quiet, even at WOT which I almost never do. I cringe when I read that someone is looking to increase the exhaust sound level. Harleys are the worst and I'd never consider getting one for that reason alone.

Wind noise requires more sophisticated measures. The first measure of defense is a windscreen that come to just below your eyes. Here's a post I did a decade ago about cutting down a Vespa Large windscreen. Look at the pictures to see the height I cut it to. It worked great and I'd do the same thing again today. every other windscreen height will result in major wind noise in the helmet. My cockpit was pretty quiet up to 60 mph on my GTV with this windscreen. My BMW has an electrically-controlled windshield height adjustment. It's excellent. I tweak the height all the time during the ride.

The second thing I did get a quiet helmet. https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-noise/ has a great list of motorcycle helmet noise levels but its now 4 years out of date. The Shoei Modulars have always had relatively low noise levels in the helmet. Shoei fits me well and I'm now on my 4th one. The helmet is even quieter with the windscreen down. Expensive tho but my hearing is worth it.

The AirPods Pros are the last component to noise reduction in my ear canals. I've talked about those already above.

I still get some wind noise and I can't figure out how I can get rid of it completely. But I keep trying and I'll report it here is I can figure it out.

I have some other things to do tonight so I'm not going to get a chance to go back and edit this. Please excuse the editing and typing errors.

I hope all that helps.
Cheers. Miguel
@miguelatf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie

Hooked
@miguelatf avatar
2009 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed reply, Miguel.
It's truly helpful - and much appreciated!
UTC

GT 200

GT 200
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
I find Airpods too big for my helmet so I use some of these https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-ear-headphones/wi-c310

They are quite minimal and the chord is handy when you remove them as you don't loose them.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Some people have it 24 hours a day and there is no cure. It's commonly caused by loud noises. It's best to avoid it. Mine is sporadic but it gets quieter if I avoid loud noises.

Best
Miguel
Good to know, Miguel! I'm in the both ears, 24/7 camp, and have been since a nasty ear infection perforated my eardrum as a preschooler. I've been wearing earplugs for years and they actually helped me learn to live with the constant cacophony of dissonant rings. The noise kept me from sleeping well for decades but the earplugs were my version of immersion therapy.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
I wear a light black cotton Head wrap/doo rag under my helmet that covers my ears.
This allows a smooth helmet off and on without dislodging sun glasses.

The combination of ear covering doo rag and helmet really blocks out wind noise to my
ears. I do not wear ear plugs. I know that some of you have sensitive ears.

I regularly throw the doo rag in the laundry to keep it fresh. The inside of my
helmet looks like new by using the doo rag. I got into using the under helmet rag
because everyone I rode with used one.

Bob Copeland
You really can not see the doo do rag when the helmet is on.
You really can not see the doo do rag when the helmet is on.
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
somerset wrote:
I can thoroughly recommend Ultimate earplugs which are made with silicon from an impression made of both of your ears so they are totally unique to you.
I wear fitted earplugs on the bike, otherwise hearing aids...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Maas wrote:
i do not use earbuds while riding ( in Italy is forbidden)
I have bought an helmet that permit to instal al BT com

it's Nolan made, a crossover helmet

I have a 500 X with bluetooth and I use that for the phone connection in the car. I also bought a modular Grex (Nolan) helmet which is practically an N90 with predisposition for BT NCOM module ... But I will not use it, I also like to be at peace with my hearing. I put the phone in the glove compartment and when I stop I check if there have been any calls.

PS: nord Italia che città ?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
I wear a light black cotton Head wrap/doo rag under my helmet that covers my ears.
This allows a smooth helmet off and on without dislodging sun glasses.

The combination of ear covering doo rag and helmet really blocks out wind noise to my
ears. I do not wear ear plugs. I know that some of you have sensitive ears.

I regularly throw the doo rag in the laundry to keep it fresh. The inside of my
helmet looks like new by using the doo rag. I got into using the under helmet rag
because everyone I rode with used one.

Bob Copeland
I do this also. It helps keep my earings/earplugs in place and wicks sweat.
@boraxman avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250

Addicted
@boraxman avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
I wear simple 3M foam plugs every time I ride. Of course I have a PM Tuning 68 exhaust too.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0292s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0067s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]