Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

70 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
If you post a picture of your setup, I can mark it up with where to test for what.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
If you post a picture of your setup, I can mark it up with where to test for what.
I'll grab a quick pic tonight thanks!
Tough to find time with 2 kids home for the summer. Damn kids need so much attention! Could be way worse though, they could hate me.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
So I got a minute tonight and tested the blue and black from the stator and got .001 on the Omega setting.
Can't start up tonight and test, too late.

Chandler some pics of the set up below, lemme know if you need a pic of something else.
First we try this one
First we try this one
Simple two wire Vape set up
Simple two wire Vape set up
The CDI wires.
The CDI wires.
OP
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
That all looks good. I just thought of something though, did you replace the switches with the DC (shutter on SIP) models? I see you replaced the harness.

If you have the AC switch, it grounds out the lighting circuit until you break the ground allowing power.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
That all looks good. I just thought of something though, did you replace the switches with the DC (shutter on SIP) models? I see you replaced the harness.

If you have the AC switch, it grounds out the lighting circuit until you break the ground allowing power.
Yes both switches were swapped out for the correct ones. Have the same set up on my other Allstate (the bare metal one) and everything works fine on that one. Same wiring, switches, way I grounded all the grounds etc… same exact everything.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Hey Friday,
Move this connection to under there.
It's pretty much floating now with the buffers.

I have a new AC regulator if yours is crapped.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Hey Friday,

Move that guy to the engine case itself you mean, or just to where the bracket attaches to the engine? Guess either would be fine, but as you all know by now I'm half an idiot when it comes to electrical. At least in this realm. I could retire your house though lol
@fix_it_with_fire avatar
UTC

1978 p125x / 1975 rally 200

@fix_it_with_fire avatar
1978 p125x / 1975 rally 200
UTC quote
the god awful cdi wiring is the worst part of the vape setup... Been trying for ages to come up with something that hides them
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
Hey Friday,

I zoomed in on the pic and figured out where you meant. Moved that ground and still getting the same values. FaceTimed with MJRally (thanks for helping!) and my red wire coming off the stator has no values when checking it against the other wires. Like in his stator values post that was linked in here.

I got these values:
Testing
Blue to black in junction box .001
Brown to Red at CDI 0
Brown to White at CDI 69.7
Red to White at CDI 0

Seems like it's a red wire issue here. We checked and made sure it wasn't a harness issue, that checks out fine.

Disconnecting the junction box and just checking the stator wires with engine running got me around 4 volts.

I'm going to swap my regulators between bikes next, then probably the stator coils too since it seems like that may be the issue.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
I zoomed in on the pic and figured out where you meant. Moved that ground and still getting the same values. FaceTimed with MJRally (thanks for helping!) and my red wire coming off the stator has no values when checking it against the other wires. Like in his stator values post that was linked in here.

I got these values:
Testing
Blue to black in junction box .001
Brown to Red at CDI 0
Brown to White at CDI 69.7
Red to White at CDI 0

Seems like it's a red wire issue here. We checked and made sure it wasn't a harness issue, that checks out fine.

Disconnecting the junction box and just checking the stator wires with engine running got me around 4 volts.

I'm going to swap my regulators between bikes next, then probably the stator coils too since it seems like that may be the issue.
Was blue to black with black disconnected?
If so, set your multimeter to DC.

I have brown to red 513
Red to white 583
The other two pretty much the same as yours.
This is a 3 1/2 year old stator that has been used a lot.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
How much voltage do you get from the stator?? With the loom disconnected engine side and the engine running, measure the AC voltage between the blue and black coming from the stator. You should be getting up to 40V while revving…
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
How much voltage do you get from the stator?? With the loom disconnected engine side and the engine running, measure the AC voltage between the blue and black coming from the stator. You should be getting up to 40V while revving…
This is the thing I asked him to check a week ago. While fixing the ground location was a good thing, this is the real test...is it the coil or is it the reg/rec?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
I think I did this with MJRally FaceTiming me and if I remember correctly I got 4v. I'll test it again as soon as I have a chance. Been wicked busy of late and going camping tomorrow till Sunday so maybe I'll have time on Monday if I don't get to it tonight. I'll keep ya's posted.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
I should have tried it before recommending setting it to DC
The SCK Vape instructions on page 26 below they say lighting coils are (floated) DC if not connected to ground
https://www.scooter-center.com/media/pdf/a5/1c/8f/Einbauanleitung_mounting_instructions_c4.pdf

Set for AC just now disconnected black/blue reads 14+ at idle. DC weird #'s.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Alrighty got to it tonight after our washer needed some diy repairs.

Voltage check with the harness unplugged at the junction box and red probe to blue and black to black:

Idle I get 14.8-19 volts, revved up I was around 50 volts. So that eliminates the coil as the issue and points me back to the regulator. Gonna try to swap that with the working one on the Bear and see what that does next.

It's just so damn hot in the shop. It's 8pm and 94° in there. Fml.

Edit: pulled the regulator from Bear and went to swap it out, pulled up the tank on Bluey and well look at that forgot to plug the harness back into the regulator when I did that check half an hour ago. Plugged them in and I now have lights and a horn! Running light is still out in the rear but I have replacements so I'll pop a new one in. Gremlins man, gremlins.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0186s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]