OP
@jsbd1 avatar
UTC

Primavera 125, Vespa S, ET4x2, Vespa Sprint

@jsbd1 avatar
UTC quote
Hi guys I am quite new to this Vespa repairs thing. I have a nearly new primavera that stays at the FIL and I have bought two older Vespas to do up as a bit of a hobby. I’m not mechanically minded but have enjoyed restoring bits and bobs of trim etc to restore the look and adding some chrome and flyscreens etc replacing worn trim badges and alike. Once I have got them tidy I will get them both restated at some point. ( the et4 looks like it’s already been 3 colours and the latest applied with a roller 😹! Hoping to restore it back to original pistachio colour I found under the blue and purple)

The problem is with my latest purchase it’s a Zafferano edition Vespa s 125. It was running fine even after standing for a couple of months standing waiting to be picked up at a mates house. He said he thought it had an oil leak, When I got it home I checked and it actually had a fuel leak where the hose had deteriorated where it connected to the tank. My FIL drained the tank cut it slightly shorter and refixed it. Refilled and tested it and it was running. A few hours later I tried and it won’t start.

I read that there is a vacuum line but there doesn’t appear to be? I think there is a pump that turns on sometimes when the ignition is engaged.

I wondered if the fuel was getting through ok as the in line filter looked filthy and original and perhaps draining the tank had buggered it with crap. I then proceeded to fit all new fuel line from the tank to the pump and the the pump to the carb. With a new filter. Still no luck.!

I put the battery on charge as I had turned it over a lot also and removed the air intake to the carb and sprayed in some carb cleaner. Which when turning over ignites so there must be a spark. I did also then remove the spark plug which was a bit sooted up and cleaned up the tip and tested for spark (it was working) ok.

So now I’m a little flummoxed? What would your advice be next? Remove and clean the carb? This is next level for me as I haven’t done anything that mechanically complex or am I missing something?

TIA !
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
There's a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel tap. They get brittle with age and crack.

Welcome to MV
OP
@jsbd1 avatar
UTC

@jsbd1 avatar
UTC quote
thanks for the reply I took a look on you tube at a chap from southwest scooters taking it apart and apparently this model unusually didn’t have the vacuum line just the pump
UTC

GT 200

GT 200
UTC quote
you have to check under the tank, how many hoses there are, and where they go.
same on the pump.

usually if there is a depressor pump, it needs a vacuum line

if there is a electric pump, the depressrion line is the lower hose of the fuel tap, as usual
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0171s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0100s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]