Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
the ICE icon on the Supertech

It came on again the other day. Yes I was riding in snow ❄️

FYI it comes on when the temperature display on the dashboard shows 4°C. Note the temp on the dashboard is pretty wrong. You can see it go up as you go for a half hour ride ...
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 2 times
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
steelbytes wrote:
the ICE icon on the Supertech

It came on again the other day. Yes I was riding in snow ❄️
Well in most country where you have mountains, and even in places where you have lots of fogs, you can come across what's known as black ice. You can't see it, and when you are on it, it is often too late.. All it needs is a low temperature (3°), wind and a wet road... You can get those patches even in the middle of the day, on the south or shaded part of the road...

It is a good safety feature to have.. It may save you from a face plant..

Not that pointless after all...
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
It is a good safety feature to have.. It may save you from a face plant..

Not that pointless after all...
Sure, *IF* it could actually tell there was ice in the vicinity.

Seriously when it's 3C and i see snow on the road i don't think the icon is telling me something i don't already know.

It's about as usefully as if it told me that the road might be slippery when I am already getting rained on.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
UTC quote
Passing over bridges in near zero conditions you can go from clean dry road to black ice without warning as the wind passing under the bridge cools the road to below zero and allows icing. I’ve hit black ice on bikes and it isn’t pretty. On the MP3 it meant an odd feeling as all traction was lost for a second while passing over a short bridge at speed, if I’d been on a two wheeler I’m sure I’d have been on my ass. In that case I too had been ignoring that useless icon.

Having hit totally invisible black ice on my motorcycle at speed and dumped it hard, I can assure you the little icon warning of icing conditions is not useless.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Very dangerous icon if someone think it tells something of black ice.
OP
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Having hit totally invisible black ice on my motorcycle at speed and dumped it hard, I can assure you the little icon warning of icing conditions is not useless.
Yes ice is dangerous, black or not.

But my point of the post is that if it's cold enough for the ice icon to turn on then i already know it because I'm not immune to the cold.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Years ago I was heading home from school in my VW Bus. It was after 10:00pm sometime during the winter. It was dark, I was tired and on the expressway. Not much traffic.

I was in the right lane of the two lanes because VW Bus. I noticed a pickup in front of me moving much slower than I was, which was unusual.

I pulled into the left lane to go around figuring he was either a farmer or drunk. It's the sticks, it could have been either.

What I didn't know was that he had seen the aforementioned black ice on the road. I had not.

I was doing probably 60-65mph. As I straightened the front end out in the left lane, the back end decided to continue its journey around me. I can still remember looking straight at the driver of the pickup as I slid past him, clearly illuminated in my headlights as our vehicles were now perpendicular to one another.

The steering wheel on a VW Bus is quite large and sits more horizontally than in most other vehicles. I thought I'd mention that, so as you are picturing me screaming and frantically twisting the wheel into the skid you'd have a more accurate picture.

My back end swung around directly in front of the pickup, at which time I was looking at the median, 180° from just seconds before.

This back and forth happened at least two more times before I got things under control and was able to pull over to the side of the road. You know, just in case I had to vomit or something.

Good times, man ... good times.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
Years ago I was heading home from school in my VW Bus. It was after 10:00pm sometime during the winter. It was dark, I was tired and on the expressway. Not much traffic.

I was in the right lane of the two lanes because VW Bus. I noticed a pickup in front of me moving much slower than I was, which was unusual.

I pulled into the left lane to go around figuring he was either a farmer or drunk. It's the sticks, it could have been either.

What I didn't know was that he had seen the aforementioned black ice on the road. I had not.

I was doing probably 60-65mph. As I straightened the front end out in the left lane, the back end decided to continue its journey around me. I can still remember looking straight at the driver of the pickup as I slid past him, clearly illuminated in my headlights as our vehicles were now perpendicular to one another.

The steering wheel on a VW Bus is quite large and sits more horizontally than in most other vehicles. I thought I'd mention that, so as you are picturing me screaming and frantically twisting the wheel into the skid you'd have a more accurate picture.

My back end swung around directly in front of the pickup, at which time I was looking at the median, 180° from just seconds before.

This back and forth happened at least two more times before I got things under control and was able to pull over to the side of the road. You know, just in case I had to vomit or something.

Good times, man ... good times.
Mmmmmmm.... ice and rear engined vehicles. I had a VW type 3 for my first car. With the engine out behind the rear axel, 500x15 bias ply tires, a heavy throttle foot and a touch of ice it was amazing the trouble an eighteen year old could get into.

Understeer, oversteer, the ditch, the hedge...

That and riding bikes in the winter Its a miracle I live through those years.

Dumb kid!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
The really dumb icon/tally lamp on modern Piaggio bikes that don't have a light switch is the 'headlights on' tally. It doesn't mean the headlights are on. It means that bulb/led/icon whatever is working and connected to power - nothing whatsoever to do with the headlamps themselves.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0105s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]