OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
I had a great summer of riding. Then this morning, going straight through an intersection (I had the green), some kid decides not to stop as he turns right in front of me. Had to swerve to avoid getting plowed into. Thank heavens there were no cars in the opposite lane or I’d be in a hospital or worse. But holy cow, that was the first time I’d ever gotten to getting hit in the 20 years of riding.
I had him pull over and lit into him pretty good. He says he never saw me. He did see the white van behind me but not me. He was very apologetic but I didn’t hold back. I was beyond livid. What a way to start the morning.

Stay safe out there.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
I was road riding about a week when that happened to me. Fortunately the car stopped within a foot of me. Every time I pass through an intersection now I cover the front brake.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I'm so glad you're okay! I bet that kid will never forget the day he almost killed a scooterist.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
I was road riding about a week when that happened to me. Fortunately the car stopped within a foot of me. Every time I pass through an intersection now I cover the front brake.
Cover the horn as well! I cover the horn pretty much any time I'm passing any intersection including driveways where there's a vehicle looking as though it's waiting to get out. If one of their wheels turns even by as little as 1° then I let fly with the horn.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Most PTW city accidents happen in intersections. You really have to be on your guard. As far as close calls, that happens for me about ever third ride. This is Nascar country where speed limits and stop lights are treated as suggestions
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Thank you. It was definitely a wake up call to pay closer attention. I’ve had close calls but not with someone’s bumper inches away from me.

I’m not sure more I could’ve done here though. You assume people are going to stop or at least slow down before they turn. But defensively, maybe you slow way down. Then again, you also worry about getting rear ended. 🤷🏻‍♂️
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
The only time I've gone down in traffic was a left-turner in front of me. I dumped the bike to avoid hitting him, which I did. Because there was no contact, the police wouldn't file a report.

Pretty banged up, but it was a good learning lesson.
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
I've had that happen a couple times over the years. I'm glad you avoided a crash. That's the important part.

Mostly this happened when I started riding and had a different perception of "right of way" than I do now. Over the years I've come to realize that I have to pay really close attention at intersections and unless there are no vehicles around always cover the brake, prepare to swerve, and generally accept my right of way is meaningless.

The other unexpected change is that I no longer get angry with the misdeeds of other drivers and riders when I'm on two wheels. Anger is poison to me generally, but it really would rob me of the ability to pay attention for awhile after some anger-inducing event. It wasn't a conscious change, but it sort of just happened. Like I wouldn't get angry if a bear chased me. I would get nervous and hyper aware. I pay more attention when I'm nervous.

And yelling at someone -- man, at least around here, there are far too many gun toters to risk that encounter. I may be right, but I don't take that chance.

If I get angry now, it's when I arrive at my favorite cafe and it's closed!
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
I've had that happen a couple times over the years. I'm glad you avoided a crash. That's the important part.

Mostly this happened when I started riding and had a different perception of "right of way" than I do now. Over the years I've come to realize that I have to pay really close attention at intersections and unless there are no vehicles around always cover the brake, prepare to swerve, and generally accept my right of way is meaningless.

The other unexpected change is that I no longer get angry with the misdeeds of other drivers and riders when I'm on two wheels. Anger is poison to me generally, but it really would rob me of the ability to pay attention for awhile after some anger-inducing event. It wasn't a conscious change, but it sort of just happened. Like I wouldn't get angry if a bear chased me. I would get nervous and hyper aware. I pay more attention when I'm nervous.

And yelling at someone -- man, at least around here, there are far too many gun toters to risk that encounter. I may be right, but I don't take that chance.

If I get angry now, it's when I arrive at my favorite cafe and it's closed!
You are 100% right. It initially get good/justified when I was yelling at the kid. But later in the day, thinking about it more, I definitely felt I could’ve handled it better. Learning experience for both parties.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
VESPAsfw3 wrote:
and generally accept my right of way is meaningless.
I've said to my wife on many occasions, "Just because you had the right of way does not make you any less dead."
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
UTC quote
You can argue right of way but you can't argue physics.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
pmatulew wrote:
You can argue right of way but you can't argue physics.
You’ve obviously never worked with physicists.
@lebo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3

Molto Verboso
@lebo avatar
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
UTC quote
One other thing that I do when approaching an intersection besides being aware is I press the turn signal button to make sure it’s not engaged. It’s kind of a habit now.
As far as guns, in Utah u no longer need a permit to carry.
Where in Utah are you located Hoch?
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
You’ve obviously never worked with physicists.
Funny you mention that. When I started riding the Stella I noticed the turn signal makes this nasally whEEEEoooooh! whEEEEoooooh! while I’m waiting to turn. I was going to disable it until I realized that wasn’t to remind ME my turn signal is on … it was to remind EVERYONE AROUND ME my turn signal is on.

I now sit proudly at intersections, chin held high, happy in the knowledge that I’m annoying everyone around me … because they’re aware of my presence.

whEEEEoooooh! whEEEEoooooh![/b]
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
This is exactly the situation in which I broke my hip. You are lucky you had time swerve and avoid a tragedy. What Jim said really stuck in my mind. I always have my finger near the horn button. Especially now under covid-19 some people are driving extremely carelessly.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0186s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]