OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Does anyone have experience with returning parts to SIP? Seem like recently I’ve been getting parts that have have a LOW quality control. I suppose I could fix (or have someone fix) some of issues with the items, but I’d much prefer to have a correctly manufactured part to begin with.

Case in point...I just bought a SIP Xl pipe (I placed my order through my friend/dealer). Well the pipe does fit that well...or at all for that point. I suppose I could break out the welder and start fixing it, but I’d be time ahead if I didn’t have to fix a brand new pipe.

So does SIP offer FREE returns (I’m located in the US) for faulty parts that they ship out to customers?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jackytwoshoes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'13 LML '70 Sprint Veloce

Enthusiast
@jackytwoshoes avatar
'13 LML '70 Sprint Veloce
UTC quote
Can’t help with the returns policy, but try emailing them.

I had a Sip Road 2 that didn’t fit. Rather than breaking out the welder, I “persuaded” the tabs with a mallet.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
I have a similar issue with my Road 2.0 pipe. The attachment on the swing arm is off. Just enough that I couldn’t thread onto the bolt that’s welded onto the pipe. I had to cut the metal flaps that surround the nut in order to be able to use it.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
that's a pretty terrible fit there... didn't have that problem with my Road 2, but that was years ago
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
jackytwoshoes wrote:

I had a Sip Road 2 that didn’t fit. Rather than breaking out the welder, I “persuaded” the tabs with a mallet.
It would be quite a bit of persuasion on the tabs. With a vibrating 2-stroke, I could see it causing fatiuge issuse in the future. Those tabs are no different than what comes on a Sito+, and its tabs are prone to crack.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
jackytwoshoes wrote:

That pipe can be persuaded to fit without cutting/welding. Mine lined up like that. Steel tubing bends very well.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
I have a similar issue with my Road 2.0 pipe. The attachment on the swing arm is off. Just enough that I couldn’t thread onto the bolt that’s welded onto the pipe. I had to cut the metal flaps that surround the nut in order to be able to use it.
I've done that with Sito+ muffers many times. This SIP muffler is beyond that.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
that's a pretty terrible fit there... didn't have that problem with my Road 2, but that was years ago
Yes, it's a terrible (un?)fit. Yes, i can easily cut the tabs apart and then rewled them, but at what point does a lack of quality control fall on the customer? Shouldn't the manufacture take responsibility at some point?...i mean is says SIP right on the package that the muffler came in. I realize that most things that SIP sells aren't 100% bolt on and go. Lots of their stuff requires a fair amount of "massaging". Though sometimes frustrating to deal with paying a premium and still have to massage is always going to happen in the tuning world, i realize that's just part of the game. But for SIP to sell a SIP pipe that requires this much additional cutting and welding is really pushing it.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Is that box made for a 225 cylinder? Something taller than what you have?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
All I can think is why does everybody have wayyy cleaner hands than mine in every pic?
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
All I can think is why does everybody have wayyy cleaner hands than mine in every pic?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
https://solvol.com.au/
@swiss1939 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208

Ossessionato
@swiss1939 avatar
P208, Stella VMC Stelvio 187, Stella 150, VNX1T, V9A1T, V9B1T, 02 Sportster XLH1208
UTC quote
Dammit, I've been wondering what this stuff was for over a decade! Fast orange! They used to have a huge bucket of it in the print shop at my undergrad and it would remove the most difficult ink stains so quickly!

Been wanting to find it for garage to remove oil. Will be buying some now!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Hahaha. You too hombre?
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Because the fit is so far off he went inside washed his hands had a scotch, and came back out to verify it was that far off.
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
swiss1939 wrote:
Dammit, I've been wondering what this stuff was for over a decade! Fast orange! They used to have a huge bucket of it in the print shop at my undergrad and it would remove the most difficult ink stains so quickly!

Been wanting to find it for garage to remove oil. Will be buying some now!
There are two versions, one with pumice and one without.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

for emergencies only

(most of those emergencies happen to be the mrs. greasy spilling paint on herself)

otherwise fast orange can pound it. kresto is where it's at.
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Yes, it's a terrible (un?)fit. Yes, i can easily cut the tabs apart and then rewled them, but at what point does a lack of quality control fall on the customer? Shouldn't the manufacture take responsibility at some point?...i mean is says SIP right on the package that the muffler came in. I realize that most things that SIP sells aren't 100% bolt on and go. Lots of their stuff requires a fair amount of "massaging". Though sometimes frustrating to deal with paying a premium and still have to massage is always going to happen in the tuning world, i realize that's just part of the game. But for SIP to sell a SIP pipe that requires this much additional cutting and welding is really pushing it.
How hard would it be to fit a pipe on a stock P200 prior to welding? Maybe tack up the sections then weld? How are the parts that far off? Used to work as an engineering technician working on improving product issues, I just don't get how the fit can be that far off.
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
Nice pipe if you have to have a box. Way better than that Sito junk.
I agree with the others, it will fit. Heat it up and bend it about. Hole in the bracket might be not quite in the right place. Not all engines are exactly the same.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
Nice pipe if you have to have a box. Way better than that Sito junk.
I agree with the others, it will fit. Heat it up and bend it about. Hole in the bracket might be not quite in the right place. Not all engines are exactly the same.
It's not that the hole is in the wrong spot. The welded on tab bracket assembly has been skewly welded.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
How hard would it be to fit a pipe on a stock P200 prior to welding? Maybe tack up the sections then weld? How are the parts that far off? Used to work as an engineering technician working on improving product issues, I just don't get how the fit can be that far off.
That's a good idea. I think i have at least one assembled 200 engine on my shelf that i can use to mock up the Sito+...i mean the SIP Box.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
And to all, fixing the muffler isn't a non-issue for me...what is my issuse is that at what point should SIP cover the return (and do they cover the return shipping) for a faulty part that is WAY out of whack. My other issue is when this sort of thing happens to you here (who don't have a shop full of welders, torches, ect).

It might sound like i'm ranting about SIP's parts that they sell, but in reality i can fix the muffler in less than 30 minutes. My beef is the lack of quality control that we as the consumer are stuck with halfway across the world. Surely the Germans can run a tighter ship (or U-boat) than this?
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
And to all, fixing the muffler isn't a non-issue for me...what is my issuse is that at what point should SIP cover the return (and do they cover the return shipping) for a faulty part that is WAY out of whack. My other issue is when this sort of thing happens to you here (who don't have a shop full of welders, torches, ect).

It might sound like i'm ranting about SIP's parts that they sell, but in reality i can fix the muffler in less than 30 minutes. My beef is the lack of quality control that we as the consumer are stuck with halfway across the world. Surely the Germans can run a tighter ship (or U-boat) than this?
But SIP has always been a supermarket in my eyes...

The amount of stuff you have to blueprint adjust once you receive it, its basically 60-70% of it...

Its definitely not the first time something hasnt fit properly, I feel like its a given and its expected.

I dont think theyre in a position to address customer service needs properly for everything that gets sent across the world... its just not cost effective.

Of course we're all like "WTF...", and it sucks we have to address it... But i'm just mega grateful they exist... if they didnt, youre not gonna be ripping around on a nordspeed viper!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
I've had fairly good success ordering SIP bits through Scooter Mercato. I've had one or two returns and David took care of it. Dunno if that was just him being cool or as an affiliate he has some deal with them on returns? FWIW
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
UTC quote
More importantly, Greasy, What's the animal in your picture? Is it a short legged giraffe?
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
Looks like a lowered Llama to me.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Low-rider llama. I’m from the hood after all.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
After seeing the pictures and reading a few of the comments from people that had their exhaust not fitting well I think I ma going to go with a different brand, probably Polini or Malossi.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
After seeing the pictures and reading a few of the comments from people that had their exhaust not fitting well I think I ma going to go with a different brand, probably Polini or Malossi.
Nah, you’ll be fine buying a SIP exhaust...just make sure to buy a welder at the same time so that you can fix the SIP exhaust.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:

I had bought a premium pre-1954 handlebar from SIP. This is the Pascoli brand which we all know does not make any of their parts; just sales them as Pascoli. Most likely an Asian shop is pumping these out. Regardless, the throttle cable stop was not right and could not be resolved without cutting the tube in 1/2. SIP had me send it back at their cost so I found the biggest box I had (😂) and shipped that bad boy back to them.

FYI: I have ceramic coated Polini BOX exhaust on the shelf if interested.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
I had bought a premium pre-1954 handlebar from SIP. This is the Pascoli brand which we all know does not make any of their parts; just sales them as Pascoli. Most likely an Asian shop is pumping these out. Regardless, the throttle cable stop was not right and could not be resolved without cutting the tube in 1/2. SIP had me send it back at their cost so I found the biggest box I had (😂) and shipped that bad boy back to them.

I’ve had Pascoli parts that were poor fitting as well. Their GS160 gear selector box cover would not fit properly no matter how much I messed with it. Once it was screwed in, there was a huge gap. Now it will sit for the rest of its life on a shelf. I finally found an original one that fits, well, perfectly.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
I’ve had Pascoli parts that were poor fitting as well. Their GS160 gear selector box cover would not fit properly no matter how much I messed with it. Once it was screwed in, there was a huge gap. Now it will sit for the rest of its life on a shelf. I finally found an original one that fits, well, perfectly.
It just makes you laugh and question why you ever paid a premium price for it. I Have absolutely no problem paying more, just get it right. I think that handlebar itself was $400-500; something like that.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
ive had so many duff ill fitting vespa parts recently its tiring. Im surprised for sip that this is so far out, they are normally very good. Communications from sellers is bloody awful. You almost get to the point of not bothering trying to return. They should send you out a new one without you having to go through hassle of returning as that exhaust is so far out. If you bought on credit card and they dont respond/assist adequately, put in a charge back claim for faulty goods.
OP
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
Very tempting...if i had clairvoyant hindsight, i'd should have been all over it. I'm going to just fix the box i have. Ironically i had been thinking about getting it ceramic coated as well (not cheap)!
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Very tempting...if i had clairvoyant hindsight, i'd should have been all over it. I'm going to just fix the box i have. Ironically i had been thinking about getting it ceramic coated as well (not cheap)!
I'm in Indy, so the racing industry here is bigger than anywhere else in the USA. I have just about everything at my disposal and have built up decent relationships through the years. I get decent pricing on ceramic as they throw it on the same line as the 2 semi loads of Vance Hines pipes that come in weekly.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Wait a minute...
Lambda and EGT ports? (insert drooling emoji here)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0263s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0085s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]