@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
look. look. I know, man. we AAALLLLLLL know.

we did the time and we got the grime.

but when it be time for a nice night out with the war department, you gotta clean them mitts up.

heretofore, share your tips and tricks for making the paws presentable

I'll start: kresto classic is absolutely amazing. it's made with crushed walnut shells so it doesn't annihilate your skin and has lanolin in it so you don't leave dried out. it rinses easily and it also does not block up your drains, like some other hand cleaners will!

it is expensive. but it is really, really good.

to note: I have to blow the grease and nasty off my hands several times a day and this is the only one that doesn't totally destroy my hands.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

but when it be time for a nice night out with the war department, you gotta clean them mitts up.

I'll start: kresto classic is absolutely amazing. it's made with crushed walnut shells so it doesn't annihilate your skin and has lanolin in it so you don't leave dried out. it rinses easily and it also does not block up your drains, like some other hand cleaners will!

to note: I have to blow the grease and nasty off my hands several times a day and this is the only one that doesn't totally destroy my hands.
Your comment and the very existence of this thread make me wonder if you really deserve the name Greasy125. Perhaps we are to see a changing of your ways?

“Somewhat greasy” perhaps, “periodically grimy”...

Perhaps “somewhat soiled”...

Swarfega is good and is also available with and without nuts

Kinda like Almond Joy or Mounds.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Your comment and the very existence of this thread make me wonder if you really deserve the name Greasy125. Perhaps we are to see a changing of your ways?

“Somewhat greasy” perhaps, “periodically grimy”...

Perhaps “somewhat soiled”...

Swarfega is good and is also available with and without nuts

Kinda like Almond Joy or Mounds.
I would consider this clean:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

and this is pretty usual:

but man, you know you're pigpen status when you gotta leave your shoes and uniform outside. the lady was not pleased, even after a shower.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
Extreme Green hand soap.

Bonus points for it killing poison ivy like a friggin champ.
It's an industrial degreaser, eats oils up and removes them from your skin. It's top notch.

Doesn't have lanolin though so it does dry you out a bit.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

but man, you know you're pigpen status when you gotta leave your shoes and uniform outside. the lady was not pleased, even after a shower.
Reminds me of a particularly rough day in the garage. I dropped my clothes in the garbage can on the way into the house. Neighbors got a view that day.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
“Gotta keep the pimp hand clean.”

1. Wear gloves whenever you can.

2. I am cheap. I use fast orange or similar, but the secret is to have an old tooth brush or bristle brush handy to get under the nails.

3. Moisten those mitts with some lotion for the love of jeebus. Nobody likes dry crackly mitts.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the tip g, just ordered a bottle.

My grippers could use a major power wash. I’m not as disciplined as I should be about wearing gloves ... I only wear them *maybe* 50% of the time... and the usual cleaners - Fast Orange, Lava, etc - don’t quite do the job anymore. I have to scrub the paws raw to get the embedded grime out or need something industrial strength.

True story: Went to the DMV to get my license renewed last year when I was working on the GL, and they asked for a thumbprint. My thumb was so torn up and calloused from wrenching the computer touch screen couldn’t read the print! They were like, “Uh, sir, this has never happened before ...”
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

Looks reasonable too me.

I’m lucky... Frau Katzenjammer says part of the attraction that kept her around in the beginning was the eau de two stroke that hung about my continuously greasy person.

Might have had something to do with the little ring ding she was riding when we met, she was already predisposed towards a good two stroke.

(Behave yourselves now)
@mr-blazer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150; SS180

Hooked
@mr-blazer avatar
Primavera 150; SS180
UTC quote
I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid that's pumped out of a 50's style commercial soap dispenser.

Btw, is that a fire pit in the middle of the pool?
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I’ll reply here in this thread since it’s relevant here. But the reason my hands are so clean in my picture (in my SIP return thread), is because I’ve been welding up custom stainless steel guardrails over at my friend’s house. Stainless steel is going to be fairly clean. Plus, since my friend’s house is brand new, I’m having to wash my hands about every 30 minutes in order to keep my fingerprints off of his new construction.

Back when I was neck deep building keeps every evening and on the weekends, my hands were always stained. Then I worked at a body shop, and my hands got even MORE stained from all the paint and chemicals!

Now I’ve learned two things over the years of wrenching...
1-degrease and pressure washer EVERYTHING before I turn a wrench.
2- put lotion on my hands before I turn a wrench. By doing that, the lotion gets absorbed in the skin, not all of the black greasy oil. It also makes it much easier to clean up afterwards.

I’m currently elbow deep doing a 12 valve Cummins swap in my old Ford Highboy. The first thing I did was cover everything with Purple Power and blast it with a pressure washer. Once the engine was out of the donor truck, I blasted it again with PP and a pressure washer.

My go to cleaner is GoJo (wait for it...) Fine Italian Pumice. It’s only fitting to use that formula when working on my old Lammys and Vespas.

Short story:
I was a hand model (I kid you not) for exactly one Oregon lottery commercial back in the mid 90’s. I was wrenching on my old CJ-7 the night before, so my hands were well stained. I thought I had them pretty darn clean, but the film director though otherwise. In fact he was pretty annoyed by them. He made me go wash my hands. I spent about 15 minutes washing them furiously to no avail! I went back to director and told him that this is as clean as they get. Well, that didn’t go over to well. I told him I’d give it another go cleaning my hands. I found a can of Easy Off Oven Cleaner (the commercial was being shot at in a bar). I proceeded to spray down my hands and scrub them with a green scotch bright pads. I could feel the foaming action of the corrosive over cleaner working its magic! After about 5 minutes my hands turned a shade of bleached white. I showed the director, and he was VERY pleased that they were clean, but now they were too white! He send me to the make-up artist so that she could put a bunch of makeup on my hands. Tell you what, that makeup kinda stung a little bit when she applied it over my raw hands.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Reminds me of a particularly rough day in the garage. I dropped my clothes in the garbage can on the way into the house. Neighbors got a view that day.
that was me... uhhhh... yesterday.
(birdsnest said I got Monday'd)

but totally what I shoulda done the other day after stepping in the drain pan and slopping gear oil all over my shoe and painting up my uniform to the waist.
(everything now has a waft of gear oil after the wash)
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
mr-blazer wrote:
I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid that's pumped out of a 50's style commercial soap dispenser.

Btw, is that a fire pit in the middle of the pool?
dawn and sugar work a treat! but dawn irritates the crap out of my skin and then, like, pieces start coming off.

that is, in fact, beer island. there used to be a dwarf palm tree planted in there, after it died I put river rocks in and there is currently flowering barley chilling it out in there.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
“Gotta keep the pimp hand clean.”

1. Wear gloves whenever you can.

2. I am cheap. I use fast orange or similar, but the secret is to have an old tooth brush or bristle brush handy to get under the nails.

3. Moisten those mitts with some lotion for the love of jeebus. Nobody likes dry crackly mitts.
to note: do not crib your missus super expensive face cream for your crackly mitts. bad things come of that. bad things...
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:

My grippers could use a major power wash. I’m not as disciplined as I should be about wearing gloves ... I only wear them *maybe* 50% of the time... and the usual cleaners - Fast Orange, Lava, etc - don’t quite do the job anymore. I have to scrub the paws raw to get the embedded grime out or need something industrial strength.

True story: Went to the DMV to get my license renewed last year when I was working on the GL, and they asked for a thumbprint. My thumb was so torn up and calloused from wrenching the computer touch screen couldn’t read the print! They were like, “Uh, sir, this has never happened before ...”
bro, you're gonna dig it. super game changer! and what's even better is that you don't need a boat load of product to make it happen! just a pump or two and you're solid.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Fritz Katzenjammer wrote:
Looks reasonable too me.

I’m lucky... Frau Katzenjammer says part of the attraction that kept her around in the beginning was the eau de two stroke that hung about my continuously greasy person.

Might have had something to do with the little ring ding she was riding when we met, she was already predisposed towards a good two stroke.

(Behave yourselves now)
hahahahaha! I get that too. the face and the "you smell clean" and then a snort as she walks away.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I’ll reply here in this thread since it’s relevant here. But the reason my hands are so clean in my picture (in my SIP return thread), is because I’ve been welding up custom stainless steel guardrails over at my friend’s house. Stainless steel is going to be fairly clean. Plus, since my friend’s house is brand new, I’m having to wash my hands about every 30 minutes in order to keep my fingerprints off of his new construction.
I know your pain. my brother is a master cabinet maker. basically I hold things and get yelled at a lot. and told to wash my hands a bajillion times.
Quote:
My go to cleaner is GoJo (wait for it...) Fine Italian Pumice. It’s only fitting to use that formula when working on my old Lammys and Vespas.
GoJo power gold is actually really really good! it can be difficult to find (better autoparts stores usually stock it) but it works a treat and doesn't tear up the hands too bad!
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
I was given a pack of these about 10 years ago.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warrior-895468-pack-Glove-Black/dp/B00BDV7LKC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=warrior+pu+gloves&qid=1628655668&sr=8-2
Thought it would be difficult to work in them...........but it wasn't. Buy them by the 100 and even keep a pair in each scooter.
Can change piston rings, fit circlips, do anything the same as before. But when done take off the gloves, quick wash with soap and clean hands like I haven't spent the whole day in the garage while I was supposed to be doing something else. Doesn't do anything for the stinking of 2 stroke fumes though.
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
I, too, wear gloves whenever possible.
Occasionally I forget to put them on when I doing something quick, and not supposed to be dirty.
Usually happens when I am in a hurry to get out of the garage and then I wind up with a few smudges on my hands.
Then one day I didn't feel like going back inside to wash my hands so I squirted some hand sanitizer on my hands and wiped away the smudginess away with a paper towel.
Worked surprisingly well. I guess it's the alcohol.
It's been the only good thing to come out of the pandemic for me (so far).
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
Put Barrier cream on before working on the bike.
My dad's bus business (coach:UK) always had Barrier cream in the workshop.

Otherwise ordinary powdered laundry detergent.

Fast Orange is also OK. Lots of "generic" pumice-based hand cleaners out there.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Another vote for Stoko Kresto.

https://www.amazon.com/Stoko-Kresto-Classic-Extra-Cleaner-4/dp/B01IFALRQ2

Cleans great and doesn't tear up my hands.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
SoCalGuy wrote:

I used to wear gloves 90% of the time, but the covid virus drove the cost of surgical gloves through the roof. So for the past few years i wear gloves 1% of the time.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
for those of us that are glove adverse.... this stuff works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-MAGIC-5215-Invisible-Glove/dp/B000BPEPA0
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I used to wear gloves 90% of the time, but the covid virus drove the cost of surgical gloves through the roof. So for the past few years i wear gloves 1% of the time.
I remember watching my dentist friend change out a clutch master cylinder on his truck... just sitting there like, bro, don't you know how much gloves cost?!??

just straight ripping thru 'em like it weren't no thing.

and that was in the before times!!
UTC

Jet Eye Master

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
for those of us that are glove adverse.... this stuff works awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-MAGIC-5215-Invisible-Glove/dp/B000BPEPA0
I was the same but once I tried the PU gloves I was converted. The PU type gloves don't rip, beathable back and are washable. Just don't put them in the wash with any of her stuff.
OP
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
I was the same but once I tried the PU gloves I was converted. The PU type gloves don't rip, beathable back and are washable. Just don't put them in the wash with any of her stuff.
dude, there are rules. if you don't want the war department up at you:

1- all your junky stuff gets done in a different load (usually at the Laundromat)
2- flowers (but not as an apology, like just cuz)
3- don't be leaving all the facial hairs all over the sink
4- do the dishes
5- pack a lunch
6- rubs the feets
7- do not, any under circumstances let her favorite hoodie slip into the work clothes wash
8- pork chops. these fix pretty much anything.
9- stop at the other store while riding her bike and bring home the cheese she likes
10-bring crusty breads and wine
11- leave your nasty as shoes outside
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Greasy, those rules only keep the war department at the door step for so long...

Best train up and keep a helmet at arms length most times, theres no stopping crazy...

But I'm using these guys on bad days:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FSLVF0K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if it doesnt get crazy, this soap:

https://www.amazon.com/Lava-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-moisturizers/dp/B00IB5TI04/ref=sr_1_1?
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
UTC

MV Santa
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown

MV Santa
@vintage_red_matthew avatar
GTS250, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
UTC quote
I tried using gloves but just can't do it. I don't like the sweaty hand feeling, the lack of a sense of touch, the expense and inconvenience and even the thickest ones tear after a few minutes of hard wrenching. I do use them when handling noxious chemicals like brake fluid, fuel or parts cleaner or when using gasket sealer. That stuff is impossible to get off.

As for hand cleaner, I am probably in the minority but I prefer it with no grit. I honestly don't think it helps very much and my hands are usually sore and sensitive after a days wrenching. I usually use Goop.
@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
I also do gloves (which always rip) and gentle hand grease cutting generic dish soap. Works well but then again I am not with dirty hands all the time so this is just when working on stuff.
@pdxjim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007

Molto Verboso
@pdxjim avatar
2005 PX150 In a Part-time Relationship with a 2-Stroke Vespa Since 2007
UTC quote
What Greasy said.
^^^Kresto (Classic).
I first discovered this stuff nearly 40 years ago while I was fixing photocopiers and it was still being imported from W. Germany.
Removes grease, grime, ink, oil based paint, you name it, and your skin is left feeling like you’ve been soaking it in hand lotion. I’d swear by that stuff.
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
No gloves for me. When I reach overhead, sweat pours out.

In 2003 a friend that worked at GoJo's parent company was here helping me rip the cats from my autocross WRX Wagon. He brought a 2+ gallon pump jug of the gritty orange hand cleaner, and I still use that today. A good dollop or two , scrub without water, and hose off outside before venturing inside.

For decades, I used Lava soap, just like my father and grandfather. The stuff with the Lava name on it today doesn't work nearly as well. Musta taken out the good stuff.

I still use gasoline directly from the Jerry can pretty regularly to get the greasiest stuff. Brake cleaner usually works for what gasoline doesn't get.

When I was a lot younger, Dad had a five gallon glass bottle of carbon tetrachloride that he got from his buddy that owned the dry cleaner. A couple of splashes, a scrub, and your hands were spotless! Then they went and banned the stuff...

I've never heard of Kresto. I'll have to look it up.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
I go for these green gloves. But let's face it, sometimes they break, sometimes I space putting them on, etc, etc..

So I use some generic hand cleaner with pumice in it and this stuff that scootnewb turned me into. PreSolve - does a great job of cutting the grime. Gotta let it soak in a bit though...
The cleaning station. I've got KrudKutter and a squirt bottle of kerosene hanging off the sink...
The cleaning station. I've got KrudKutter and a squirt bottle of kerosene hanging off the sink...
The gloves I like to use.
The gloves I like to use.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
I thought mechanics were all wearing gloves these days - to prevent poisoning from long term exposure to oils, grease and gas.
O.S.
@neil_edgar avatar
UTC

Hooked
'81 50 special,'57 GS150 VS3,'59 152L2,'60 SII Li150

Hooked
@neil_edgar avatar
'81 50 special,'57 GS150 VS3,'59 152L2,'60 SII Li150
UTC quote
I have always been a Swarfega man myself. It can dry skin out, but my go to cheap hand restorer is a splash of SPF30 sun cream!

In my younger years, I did a toolmaking apprenticeship, mostly machining cast iron die blocks. With the dust from the cast iron the lines on my hands were usually rusty. It took a 2 week holiday from work to have clean hands again.

I have a big boxes of disposable thin rubber gloves but have to be in the mood, and remember I've got them.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
When I was a lot younger, Dad had a five gallon glass bottle of carbon tetrachloride that he got from his buddy that owned the dry cleaner. A couple of splashes, a scrub, and your hands were spotless! Then they went and banned the stuff...
Ah the good old days ...
UTC

Addicted
1968 VBB150

Addicted
1968 VBB150
UTC quote
Comet and dish washing soap elixer. BOOM. Add a fingernail brush and you can go to the opera after. It will dry the heck out of your hands and nails though- but if I need a fast good clean its my go to.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
I was given a pack of these about 10 years ago.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warrior-895468-pack-Glove-Black/dp/B00BDV7LKC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=warrior+pu+gloves&qid=1628655668&sr=8-2
Thought it would be difficult to work in them...........but it wasn't. Buy them by the 100 and even keep a pair in each scooter.
Can change piston rings, fit circlips, do anything the same as before. But when done take off the gloves, quick wash with soap and clean hands like I haven't spent the whole day in the garage while I was supposed to be doing something else. Doesn't do anything for the stinking of 2 stroke fumes though.
Wow.
Got the Gringo version of these badboys on Amazon. They're fantastic.
I've gone through a LOT OF GLOVES. So far my go-to favs have been 6-8mil textured nitrile. Big issue with those is your glove will fill up with sweat after a few minutes. Take them off and you have to wait until your hand is dry enough to put another on. Sucks

These badboys can be worn much longer with the nylon inner. VERY easy to put on.
FYI these aren't the gardening/construction gloves that look the same but are one size fits all and the PU is way too thick. Get the right size and be happier than you were before.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08868CPFN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
UTC

GTS Super 300ie

GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Is the Kresto classic from SC Johnson the same as from Stoko?
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

I’m not sure why you search for answers here. You really should go to scoot.net and search for Dr. Wu’s House of Potions and Fine Lotions and go to his website at www.dr.wu.freebase.finelotions@alibaba.com
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Got a sample pack of Kresto stuff.
I’ll let you know how it works.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
UTC quote
Oooooh, I like this stuff. Not as gritty as Fast Orange, gets the grime off and leaves the paws nice and soft. Thx for the tip!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1017s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0776s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]