OP
UTC

VBB1T Vespa 150

VBB1T Vespa 150
UTC quote
Have a 2009 500cc mp3. Took the battery out thinking that one cable had red on it.

Oops!

In mine both cables are black.

Facing the front of the machine, which battery cable is for the positive terminal - right or left?

Think I know but want to be sure so I don’t accidentally let any of the magic black smoke out.

Yeah, I know. A dumb mistake.

Thanks.
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
Doesn't sound like a dumb mistake - more like a dumb wiring setup. Has someone been mucking around with your electricals? I don't know much specifically about the MP3, but I'd be very surprised if the leads were both black from the factory.

Anyways, if I were you, I'd use a multimeter and check resistance of each wire to the frame. I'd expect one of the wires to show 0 resistance (the negative) and the other to show some non-zero resistance (the positive).

EDIT - jimc's maintenance manuals in the wiki includes a wiring diagram for the US MP3 500. It shows red wiring is supposed to come off the battery, which is what I would have expected. (It also shows two wires coming off the positive side, which might give you a further reference to help locate things.)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

VBB1T Vespa 150

VBB1T Vespa 150
UTC quote
Thanks!

Only one wire each side so likely someone(s) did rewiring. I will do the meter test and add red electrical tape to the appropriate wire.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0141s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0074s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]