OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hi all, new to the vespa world, purchased my vespa GTS super last month and just covered 1000km. I don't want to get it wrong but should I take the bike to vespa dealer or any garage to do the basic service as stated on the manual?

Thanks in advance.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Welcome! Any mechanic? No you should not do that. If you don't take it to the dealer you should consider someone who has experience in working with Vespas.
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.

Addicted
@fritz_katzenjammer avatar
'07 GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", '66 Honda Benly, '19 Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", '42 Henschel PzKw VI Tiger
Location: somewhere deep in the back of the garage...Burlington ONT.
UTC quote
I’d take it to a dealer. You want to keep the warranty valid in case anything goes wrong later.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
The first two (one every year) assistance services are always best done in a Piaggio authorized workshop.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Please enter your location in your profile - it helps enormously with giving appropriate advice! As a moderator I can see you're in the UK - yes, definitely go to a dealer for first service.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3, Matchless G80S, Honda CBR400RR, Ducati ST4S
UTC quote
I'd take it back to the dealer where I bought it if it were me.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Definitely go with Vespa if at all possible. Not critical, mind you, but they know what they're doing.....
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
I'm a firm believer in building a relationship with your local dealer. If and when you really need his help, you want him to regard you as a good and regular customer. Something to think about. (that all assumes your local dealer is a competent fellow that you want to have a relationship with - I realize everyone isn't that lucky )
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
UTC quote
Sadly, there is no dealer closer than 150 miles from my home. We bought my wife’s new Primavera by phone with a Brooklyn dealer about 200 miles from here because he had one in stock; we paid to deliver it.
Now that it is approaching first service, I intend to change the oil and filter myself. I am a bit confused: Robot recommended a check for the valve adjustment while the salesman said only oil and filter is necessary.
No way would I check the valves myself. I would need to make a 300 mile round trip to reach the closest dealer. I have a trailer, but I think it’s a bit unreasonable to do that.
Any educated opinions welcome.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Sadly, there is no dealer closer than 150 miles from my home.

How about Vespa Schenectady? How far are they? It's an hour away.

https://www.facebook.com/VespaSchenectady/
@troutbum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL

Ossessionato
@troutbum avatar
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
Sadly, there is no dealer closer than 150 miles from my home. We bought my wife’s new Primavera by phone with a Brooklyn dealer about 200 miles from here because he had one in stock; we paid to deliver it.
Now that it is approaching first service, I intend to change the oil and filter myself. I am a bit confused: Robot recommended a check for the valve adjustment while the salesman said only oil and filter is necessary.
No way would I check the valves myself. I would need to make a 300 mile round trip to reach the closest dealer. I have a trailer, but I think it’s a bit unreasonable to do that.
Given your situation, wrenching yourself if you have the skills or want to develop the skills is a good alternative. Buy a shop manual as that will give you all the specs you need to do the job right. Be sure to save your receipts and take a few pictures as you work on your scooter as evidence if ever you need to make a warranty claim. Keep a service diary as well.

I would include a valve inspection and adjust as necessary. Do this the first two services as things loosen up. Also check that all the nuts, bolts and screws are secure due to the possibility of coming loose due to vibration.

Ask question as there are lots of folks here who wrench and like to help. Robot's videos and others on YouTube are a great source as well.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
In this situation, having a trailer (or other system) for transporting the Vespa is almost essential for other situations as well.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
Sadly, there is no dealer closer than 150 miles from my home.

How about Vespa Schenectady? How far are they? It's an hour away.

https://www.facebook.com/VespaSchenectady/
Sadly, the owner, Rocco, passed away in early 2020. They had, I believe, already lost their franchise because they did not offer to buy enough new inventory from Vespa. While I used the place for repairs, it was a poorly run business. A few “New” scooters of different years sat dusty on the floor that, even with utmost charity, could not be called a showroom. On one occasion, I thought the price was fair, on another, I felt ripped off. I don’t think I ever got a written bill. Rocco would seem to pull a number out of his ass. Oddly, I still liked the guy.
Rocco’s brother Angelo is still around, but his principal business is car repair. There are multiple Vespas waiting to be repaired that he may never get to.
Rocco’s son may be the keeper of that Facebook page; he occasionally sends out an e-mail purporting to offer four stroke Stellas for sale, or some other scooter, but he can’t be treated seriously. When his father was alive, he would try to wait on customers from behind the counter while wearing a helmet. Any mention of him to his late father or uncle, would result in a deep sigh and some strong, unkind words.

I have even asked Vespa headquarters if they could suggest any mechanic, even from someplace not authorized, but as one might expect, they politely said they know of no one.

I get my tires changed at a large Yamaha, Kymco dealer a half hour ride from me, but they are unwilling to take on even belt changes.

So, playing the odds is what I am suggesting. The new scooter belongs to my wife, is one of two she owns, and is unlikely to get a lot of miles on it before the warranty expires. Perhaps, if I see anything untoward in the original oil, I will change my mind and bring it to a dealer to check the valves.

I welcome any Vespa mechanic to comment on how likely/unlikely it is to find out of spec valves on a new 150 that seems to run perfectly. Even if I could make arrangements with the dealer to do the first service while I wait, it would still be a very long day of trailering.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I wouldn't fret over the valve adjustment. Yes, a good idea if feasible, but not essential if the bike's otherwise working fine.
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]
UTC quote
That's a tough call. I'm really crazy about doing maintenance, but I see your point about a scooter with 620 miles probably not needing a valve adjustment. Interestingly, though, the maintenance schedule for my 2018 GTS300 doesn't call for a valve adjustment at the first service, so perhaps there is a good reason Piaggio recommends a valve adjustment on the 150s... Have you looked at BMG Powersports in Goshen, NY? Of course it is about 150 miles away, but it's probably an easier drive than NYC.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
UTC quote
Have you looked at BMG Powersports in Goshen, NY? Of course it is about 150 miles away, but it's probably an easier drive than NYC.
[/quote]

As a matter of fact, that is where Progressive paid to tow my 2009 GTS last year when I needed a fuel pump recall done and, coincidentally, my valves adjusted (at about 18,000 miles). They are very nice folks and did a great job. I only had to make one round trip to pick it up. Regular readers here will recall that I am the moron that lost my pet carrier (and the tools contained therein) by failing to insure my seat was locked on the return trip.

You are right, it is a much easier trip than to NYC. In fact, I called them first to see if they had the Sean Wutherspoon Edition in stock before I purchased it in Brooklyn. But all they could say was that one was on order, and given the COVID international shipping, they couldn’t say when they might see it.

So, if I were super fastidious, I would do that, but given that I expect the scooter to have fewer than 2000 miles when he warranty runs out, I think I will take my chances, unless, as I say, there is visible metal in the break-in oil.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
I'll echo jim here. taking your bike to the dealer for the first service is just good insurance. they generally have competent techs and a broader base of product knowledge. so that's just smart money ahead.

after that? DIY what you can and find an indy to do the rest.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
I'll echo jim here. taking your bike to the dealer for the first service is just good insurance. they generally have competent techs and a broader base of product knowledge. so that's just smart money ahead.

If in the UK, and if your dealer is fairly near to you, it's worth buying the parts from the dealer even if you do the work yourself. They're usually working flat out on service, so don't mind losing out on that. At least they get to make a bob or two on parts (usually delivered next day) and they can enter the work in Piaggio's database. This not only prevents arguments about warranty, but can be very useful down the line. E.g. when I took the GT200 to Greece and it broke down on the way back in Italy, the Piaggio service station looked it up, said 'All original, all service work done so far' and proceeded to knock the parts and labour bill in half courtesy of Piaggio headquarters.
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:

I agree with Greasy and I think that the 1st service is the most important in terms of ensuring that the warranty is in force.
@scooterpilot avatar
UTC

2020 300GTS Sport, 2014 300GTS, 2015 Sprint 150, 2020 Sprint 150, 2005 Granturismo

@scooterpilot avatar
2020 300GTS Sport, 2014 300GTS, 2015 Sprint 150, 2020 Sprint 150, 2005 Granturismo
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
Sadly, the owner, Rocco, passed away in early 2020. They had, I believe, already lost their franchise because they did not offer to buy enough new inventory from Vespa. While I used the place for repairs, it was a poorly run business. A few “New” scooters of different years sat dusty on the floor that, even with utmost charity, could not be called a showroom. On one occasion, I thought the price was fair, on another, I felt ripped off. I don’t think I ever got a written bill. Rocco would seem to pull a number out of his ass. Oddly, I still liked the guy.
Rocco’s brother Angelo is still around, but his principal business is car repair. There are multiple Vespas waiting to be repaired that he may never get to.
Rocco’s son may be the keeper of that Facebook page; he occasionally sends out an e-mail purporting to offer four stroke Stellas for sale, or some other scooter, but he can’t be treated seriously. When his father was alive, he would try to wait on customers from behind the counter while wearing a helmet. Any mention of him to his late father or uncle, would result in a deep sigh and some strong, unkind words.

I have even asked Vespa headquarters if they could suggest any mechanic, even from someplace not authorized, but as one might expect, they politely said they know of no one.

I get my tires changed at a large Yamaha, Kymco dealer a half hour ride from me, but they are unwilling to take on even belt changes.

So, playing the odds is what I am suggesting. The new scooter belongs to my wife, is one of two she owns, and is unlikely to get a lot of miles on it before the warranty expires. Perhaps, if I see anything untoward in the original oil, I will change my mind and bring it to a dealer to check the valves.

I welcome any Vespa mechanic to comment on how likely/unlikely it is to find out of spec valves on a new 150 that seems to run perfectly. Even if I could make arrangements with the dealer to do the first service while I wait, it would still be a very long day of trailering.
Had the same experience with the folks in Schenectady. Finally gave in and bought some of the special tooling and do my own service and repair now. It’s the best decision I ever made.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
Well, I'd suggest you look at the table of inspections, adjustments, etc in the back of your Primavera owners manual. When I look at the Primavera 150ie manual to which I have access, on the valve clearance line it says adjust (A) in the 600 mi (1000 km), 6000 mi (10,000 km), 12,000 mi (20,000 km) and 18,000 mile (30,000 km) columns.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0180s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0041s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]