OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Liberty 125

Lurker
Piaggio Liberty 125
UTC quote
Hi I’m new ish to scootering and have just bought a piaggio Liberty 125 which I love but I love the idea of the mp3 . I tried a Yamaha to sit on and could barely touch the floor and very very unsafe . Is the mp3 as wide or tall . I don’t have a local dealer to go try so thought I’d ask before driving miles to try one . Also can you drive the 400 and 500 on a car licence ? . Thankyou in advance oh and I’m 5ft 6 inches tall
@pmatulew avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300

Hooked
@pmatulew avatar
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
UTC quote
All three have a seat height between 30 and 31 inches. You can mitigate that a bit by sliding forward where the seat is more narrow. But, don't expect to be flat footing both sides.

I'm about the same size as you and ride an MP3 no problem. But I'm used to riding a bigger much heavier touring bike, so your perception may vary.

If you're over there on the far side of the pond, you'll have to check the local rules but I believe you need to look for one of the LT (wide track) models to qualify for the loophole.
UTC

2010 GTS 300ie Super

2010 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
Yes it’s tall and yes you’ll not be flat footing at your height. I’m an inch taller but still can’t put both flat on the pavement but it’s livable.

This can be a problem in certain circumstances though and shouldn’t be brushed off. The MP3 is extremely heavy for a scooter and all it takes is that one time you need to catch yourself and not have enough foot grip for a potential fall especially at slow speeds or coming off an incline or hill. But don’t neglect the stabilizer! Every time you’re at a stop, push the button and pesto your MP3 stands balanced on it’s own. You also use this to park it.

Be that as it may, you can drive it with a regular car license at least in most states like California.

If I were you I’d go for the 500cc. It isn’t super fast off the line like a motorcycle but if you’re going to spend the money best to get the more powerful engine.

To be honest, I’d have trouble driving a regular scooter again after being spoiled by my MP3. BMW x400 is a great scooter on par but I think the MP3 beats any Vespa in terms of feeling very secure going down the road at highway speeds.
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
randyjsmith wrote:
The MP3 is extremely heavy for a scooter and all it takes is that one time you need to catch yourself and not have enough foot grip for a potential fall especially at slow speeds or coming off an incline or hill.
100% agree. I keep it on tilt lock overnight in the garage - when I get on in the morning and disengage tilt before I set off, I am always surprised at how heavy it is on my one foot, sometimes to the extent of having to push it further up with my tip toes, reengage tilt lock, reposition my foot and then set off.

There's also no way in hell you are going to duck waddle this baby backwards (on the 300 - I heard the 500 has reverse?). Everytime i need to back up, I have to get off and push.
@alexram avatar
UTC

Piaggio MP3 500 2016

@alexram avatar
Piaggio MP3 500 2016
UTC quote
imadequavers wrote:
100% agree. I keep it on tilt lock overnight in the garage - when I get on in the morning and disengage tilt before I set off, I am always surprised at how heavy it is on my one foot, sometimes to the extent of having to push it further up with my tip toes, reengage tilt lock, reposition my foot and then set off.

There's also no way in hell you are going to duck waddle this baby backwards (on the 300 - I heard the 500 has reverse?). Everytime i need to back up, I have to get off and push.
idk, probably it depends on your physical.. mp3 kinda heavy, but not a nearly heavy as many other bikes, never had any issues to duck walk it.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Piaggio Liberty 125

Lurker
Piaggio Liberty 125
UTC quote
Thanks everyone, think I need to find a dealer and sit on a few and get a good feel for them . I appreciate all your comments having a dodgy back just want to be sure I can manage it easily enough
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
I have a dodgy back myself
32" inseam, up on the front of the seat I can flatfoot a stop wearing regular boots, my 260# lowering the 31" seat height a couple of inches
The floorboards are 20" wide, compared to 15" on my Liberty 150
Handlebars 26" vs 31"

The italian voodoo geometry of the front end & short wheelbase make it feel like a smaller bike
At low speeds or stopped, when I dab or take an awkward step it takes less force than on a 5-600 pound bike
The angle between the steering stem & either wheel even though they tilt makes it feel lighter
It is easy to balance at slow speeds

The tilt lock in motion is a whole new skill to learn, easy to ride without & only lock when it's time to park or my passenger to mount up
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
Suby44 wrote:
Hi I’m new ish to scootering and have just bought a piaggio Liberty 125 which I love but I love the idea of the mp3 . I tried a Yamaha to sit on and could barely touch the floor and very very unsafe . Is the mp3 as wide or tall . I don’t have a local dealer to go try so thought I’d ask before driving miles to try one . Also can you drive the 400 and 500 on a car licence ? . Thankyou in advance oh and I’m 5ft 6 inches tall
I'm like you and I ride MP3 400ie, 2009 model, I can not put both feet flat on the ground at the same time, I stand on toes, if both at same time, but what you can do is lean the bike and therefore have one foot flat on the ground, saying this, I never ever had a problem and it is ok to handle the scooter.
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 300 HPE
UTC quote
Suby44 wrote:
Just a thought - if you tried the Yamaha on at the store and it was on centre stand, it might be higher than when in practical use by a couple of inches, so that might add to the equation? I remember trying a T max and my feet didn't even touch the floor - I thought it was due to the scooter being on the stand. Of course, I have a short inseam too which doesn't help!
@bree avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 MP3 250, 2009 MP3 400, 2016 MP3 500 Sport

Enthusiast
@bree avatar
2007 MP3 250, 2009 MP3 400, 2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
I'm also 5'6" and rode a 400 for three or four years before moving to a 500. One thing that helped me was taking apart the seat and shaving 2" of foam off, then stretching the cover back over and re-stapling to the underside of the seat. Gave me a lot more control at stops. You have to be careful with detaching the seat sensor and putting it back in the right spot, but it can absolutely be done.

Motorcycle boots with a 1" heel will help too.

edit: Where I live, anything over 50cc requires a motorcycle license, period. Check your local regulations.
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
if you are used to heavy big bikes, the MP3 is pretty benign despite its heft.

my other bike is a BMW R1100S, also in the 500lbs range. but both it and the MP3 carry their weight low, so they aren't hard to move around. and the MP3's tilt lock of course makes it very easy - to the point that you have to be careful at times - i dropped my MP3 on the second or third day of ownership because i got lured into getting careless... and i have never ever dropped the Beemer. but it was a very slow drop, but once the MP3 reaches a critical angle and momentum there's little you can do... and i am 6'1 and 225 bodybuilding pounds. Easy to pick up though, and zero damage.

ride height isn't an issue for me, but again, i am tall-ish albeit nowhere near NBA height.

i think the challenge with the MP3 is that it is heavy yet very approachable, hence it welcomes riders that haven't experienced a 500lbs++ bike's dynamics.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0152s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0093s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]