UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Fellow scooterist/riders,

I have a big dilema and I need honest advise.

I currently own a few scooters but 90% of the time I find myself riding the PX150 or the P200E. The PX 150 is relatively "new" everything works too good and for now I wouldn't touch a thing but my P200E could use a lot of upgrades.

The big dilema that I have is the mileage and usage, I don't put that many miles on the scooters. The P200E has a new engine case with a new Malossi 210 , new clutch and I even painted it but it needs serious attention on this:

1) Main wiring harness is almost rotten (copper looks green and isolation is bridle)
2) I went through 3 batteries within the last 5 years
3) The rear shock that I purchased from scooter west is shot!!
4) The speedometer bezel is badly cracked and the speed is way off (speedo king will repair for $100)
4) Front shock is also shot
5) tires are old and the air valve on the tube are totally crooked and it is a PITA to put air
6) engine rubber mounts needs replacing

I purchased this P200E 11 years ago with 2500 miles, now it has 6300 miles. I would love to have the light weight aluminum wheels, bi-tube shocks, new wiring harness, fixed speedometer, new tires, etc. Is it worth spending another $1000-$1500? I think that I don't put enough miles on it to get that much satisfaction back.

What would you do? If I only had one scooter it would probably made it easier to decide. If I live in San Francisco or in New York where a scooter is the king of the street it would be a different history but I just don't put enough miles. Please , tell me what you think.

Lastly, what light weight wheels would you recommend?
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
A couple of thoughts: I have trouble envisioning myself owning two P-series. You mention you have other scoots too? Assuming one of them runs as well then presumably you've also got the "what do you do when one breaks" argument covered.

1000-1500 is not "worth" it in terms of value. Like, you aren't adding that directly to a sale price of the scoot. So I think you've kind of got your answer if you say you don't ride it enough - seems like it's not worth it to you.

Last thought is it seems odd to do all those upgrades if you don't see yourself riding it much. Personally, I'd actually do them and ditch the 150... but that's me and it sounds like you favor the px
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Alas, the good old dilemma of having too many bikes.

Personally, I would sell the PX150 and get the P200 back on the road...

2 reasons for me:
- the PX200 2005 edition is a little bland for me, and you have other 2 strokes to keep you going when you work on the P200 (unless youre using the px200 as a commuter, then are the other 2 scoots not commuter worthy?)

- its a project I can work on...

The only reason i would keep the PX150 is to put a VMC Crono kit on it. But I imagine you probably want to leave it untouched.

Both my choices means pain and money... Not sure its a route you'd want to take.
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ Thanks for the replies. The PX150 (2005 model) currently has a complete P200 engine with malossi 210cc, 24 dellorto, expansion chamber and all of that, it has 6200 miles(100 less than the P200E). I purchased it used in 2012 with 3200 miles.

On the positive side, if I do lets say new wheels and tires, new quality shocks I can always reuse it on the other Vespa. I have been tempted to sell at least one of my vespas and keep it more simple thus perhaps use one scooter more.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Since the PX has the same motor as the P, sell the P200. If you change your mind down the line, P200’s are easy to find.

I’m a big fan of not having multiples of the same thing.
UTC

Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I quite like having multiple P series. They're a bit like the Spice Girls:

- Sporty P (221 MHR + reed) for blasting around on
- Touring P (225 and tons of torque) for long trips, pillions and luggage
- City P (150/177 with top box) for getting into London as it's Ultra Low Emissions Zone compliant)
- Posterity P (factory fresh 200 with 2 miles on the clock)

In all seriousness, you can never have too many, so long as you enjoy them, have room for them, and you don't need the money for something more important. It sounds like the P series is somewhat unloved or considered ordinary in the US, but for many UK enthusiasts, the P/PX represents our golden era of scootering (1980s) and the lifestyle that went with it.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
^^ Thanks for the replies. The PX150 (2005 model) currently has a complete P200 engine with malossi 210cc, 24 dellorto, expansion chamber and all of that, it has 6200 miles(100 less than the P200E). I purchased it used in 2012 with 3200 miles.
Ah that’s a different story if the px150 is actually modified and just a shell, the frame and engine aren’t matching…

Then there’s not much reason to have both…

I’d still sell the px150 though and keep the p200… just because of the p200 is an older bike…

I’d consider moving parts and motors around to balance out what you want and what’s going to get the other bike running to sell..
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
"If I only had one scooter".... yeah, as if that is ever going to happen!
@modkuo avatar
UTC

Addicted
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200

Addicted
@modkuo avatar
'79 P200, '74 VBC Super, '77 P125 Project, 1978 Rally 200
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
Fellow scooterist/riders,

1) Main wiring harness is almost rotten (copper looks green and isolation is bridle)
2) I went through 3 batteries within the last 5 years
3) The rear shock that I purchased from scooter west is shot!!
4) The speedometer bezel is badly cracked and the speed is way off (speedo king will repair for $100)
4) Front shock is also shot
5) tires are old and the air valve on the tube are totally crooked and it is a PITA to put air
6) engine rubber mounts needs replacing

I purchased this P200E 11 years ago with 2500 miles, now it has 6300 miles. I would love to have the light weight aluminum wheels, bi-tube shocks, new wiring harness, fixed speedometer, new tires, etc. Is it worth spending another $1000-$1500? I think that I don't put enough miles on it to get that much satisfaction back.
Those issues are present on most scoots at some point. Keep them all and fix the P. If you have the cash to spare You will love the upgrades and the difference in ride with the new shocks, plus be stoked that all electrical stuff works. I had 3 scoots but garage space squeezed one out. They all have their individual character and style which makes a different ride experience for each. Up to you in the end…But you collected them all for a reason.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
UTC quote
i too have multiples of the same model

2 @ P range - sporty and standard
3 @ T5 - one standard one modified with hydraulic conversion handlebars and one in bits

only scooter i have one of is a PK125XL Elestart..... which i need to find a standard top end for. its a toy bike for short hop pootling and the roads its used on a 40mph max so no need to tune that one

darnit i forgot the Rally200 gathering dust in teh corner........ and you can never have too many spare engines, swap out the poorly one, swap in the working one.... fix the broken one and put it back in the rack........... rinse and repeat
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
You will never ever ever ever get your money back out of it. Probably. But you’ll enjoy spending it. And can you really put a price on smiles?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ What wheels /rims are these? I love them. I was looking for something like that and I agree with you.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
^^ What wheels /rims are these? I love them. I was looking for something like that and I agree with you.
Those are the S.I.P. Tubeless rims and Michelin S1s. I really liked them.
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
Check here :

LINK

And here :

LINK

Or something similar.
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
I am sending you a PM right now. I have a quick question.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
You will never ever ever ever get your money back out of it. ... can you really put a price on smiles?
This.

It's a hobby. If you're looking for a good investment, sell your scoots and buy real estate. Otherwise, spend the money, enjoy the ride. Treat yourself.
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
jape wrote:
This.

It's a hobby. If you're looking for a good investment, sell your scoots and buy real estate. Otherwise, spend the money, enjoy the ride. Treat yourself.
What about your Sprint? Any plans to keep or upgrade?
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
sp949 wrote:
What about your Sprint? Any plans to keep or upgrade?
Are you asking me(the OP)? Oh boy, lets not go there!!! lol seriously, or I would have to grab a cold beer and sit before I tell you.

The sprint Veloce I purchased running badly, it had a P200 engine and someone did a crazy porting on the rotary pad and never ran right. At first I purchased a brand spanking new LML non injected engine and had a local shop rework the wiring. The scooter ran perfect, first kick start.

I did a few hundred miles with it but it wasn't fast for me, it did 50 mph GPS (***** I SHOULD LEAVE THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****). Then I decided to
purchase a set of brand new P200 cases and a Malossi 210cc and got other goodies for it too(expansion chamber, stator, carb). The LML engine got removed and set aside in a shed.

The Sprint veloce at this time was running great again with the new P200engine(210cc Malossi) but I always thought that my PX150 would be a better candidate for a 210cc Malossi so guess what happened? (***** I SHOULD LEAVE THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****), I paid a local mechanic to do another double swap.

I removed the original PX150 (166 malossi) engine from my 05 PX and put the Malossi 210 from the Sprint and I put the LML non injected engine back to the Sprint (Back to square one). (***** I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****).

The end result is that my PX150 runs well with the Malossi 210 but the same day that I got my Sprint Veloce the kick start slides and would grab. during the electrical wiring mess my headlight doesn't work. Now the only way to start it is pushing it in second gear.

At the end of the day I deserve all of this for being greedy. You just want more and more and you just don't settle with the standard power. I recently got the courage to start arranging parts and I am looking for an engine stand (tonite) so that I can soon fix the kick start issue.
(***** I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****) .

I have been considering selling the Sprint veloce and pass it on to someone. I did not realized how much the price of the engine just went up. My LML engine probably have 500-600 miles. The guy that I purchased the scooter from gave me a box with parts and one of the parts was a new speedometer which I use during the built so I only logged 4xx wish miles .
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Grab your calculator:

$43.63 scooterwest
$733.85 (purchase at scooterwest a couple of weeks ago while on vacation in San Diego)
$24.58 Scooterwest
$589.81 Scooterwest
$217.65 Scooterwest
$360.29(yesterday at scooter-speed
--------------------
$1979.89 within the last two and a half months just on the 3 Vespas alone.

and I am at least $300-500 shy of finishing my Lambretta with cheaper low budget parts(new tires, new suspension, new speedometer).

I told you guys, it gets expensive to maintain 4 old scooters. A good chunk of the expenses went on 4 SIP tubeless wheels with 4 new tires plus the labor of installing it. Two new batteries, one Italian new seat and the rest was various maintenance parts (3 new front brakes shoes and pads).

There you have it, give me about 2 months for an update on the lambretta. Oh by the way, I have been picking up my son every day on the scooters so at least it is worth.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
I have been picking up my son every day on the scooters so at least it is worth.
I don't have kids, but that right there would make it all worth while to me^^^.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I don't have kids, but that right there would make it all worth while to me^^^.
That's my goal with mine as well. And my son's school is less than a mile away. Worth it though. Hopefully come spring time we'll be riding to and from school.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
What's $2k when it comes to "smiles per mile"?

I know I would be reprimanded IF my partner knew what Speedy has cost me, but it also depends on what other hobbies you have (& how much you spend on them) & if you have finished renovating your own house, mowed the lawns, or if you jave geen doing the dishes on a daily basis, plus arranged flowers (WITHOUT being in trouble or doing dumb things beforehand) & some pampering for partner.... then, it's all good.

Ohh, the other thing to do is buy something (possibly more than tyres) for your daily driver, then use that as a proce comparison, eg. Set of tyres were $2k, clutch kit (that's the thing that cars with 3 pedals need) is $$$, ohh, and that "shopping trolley scratch" is $x etc.

Also, spread the payments from different accounts & businesses (as you have done), so it looks like less overall.
Get deliveries to work.

Ohh, the list goes on...
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
Are you asking me(the OP)? Oh boy, lets not go there!!! lol seriously, or I would have to grab a cold beer and sit before I tell you.

The sprint Veloce I purchased running badly, it had a P200 engine and someone did a crazy porting on the rotary pad and never ran right. At first I purchased a brand spanking new LML non injected engine and had a local shop rework the wiring. The scooter ran perfect, first kick start.

I did a few hundred miles with it but it wasn't fast for me, it did 50 mph GPS (***** I SHOULD LEAVE THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****). Then I decided to
purchase a set of brand new P200 cases and a Malossi 210cc and got other goodies for it too(expansion chamber, stator, carb). The LML engine got removed and set aside in a shed.

The Sprint veloce at this time was running great again with the new P200engine(210cc Malossi) but I always thought that my PX150 would be a better candidate for a 210cc Malossi so guess what happened? (***** I SHOULD LEAVE THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****), I paid a local mechanic to do another double swap.

I removed the original PX150 (166 malossi) engine from my 05 PX and put the Malossi 210 from the Sprint and I put the LML non injected engine back to the Sprint (Back to square one). (***** I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****).

The end result is that my PX150 runs well with the Malossi 210 but the same day that I got my Sprint Veloce the kick start slides and would grab. during the electrical wiring mess my headlight doesn't work. Now the only way to start it is pushing it in second gear.

At the end of the day I deserve all of this for being greedy. You just want more and more and you just don't settle with the standard power. I recently got the courage to start arranging parts and I am looking for an engine stand (tonite) so that I can soon fix the kick start issue.
(***** I SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE SCOOTERS ALONE WHEN THEY RAN GOOD****) .

I have been considering selling the Sprint veloce and pass it on to someone. I did not realized how much the price of the engine just went up. My LML engine probably have 500-600 miles. The guy that I purchased the scooter from gave me a box with parts and one of the parts was a new speedometer which I use during the built so I only logged 4xx wish miles .
PM sent.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
This is getting out of control $$$$. I put my Lambretta for sale for a few days but after a second thought I changed my mind and I already committed another $2500 on the Lambretta
1) Painting $1200
2) RT 195 cylinder kit, sip lightweight aluminum wheels, new tires, rear suspension, new floorboards, new emblems $1200
3) $170 just now on scooter-speed again on specialty tools and a new wiring harness for my sprint veloce

Anyone wants to keep doing the math for me?, I am at well over $4500 and counting.. I still need to get the front Lambretta suspension.... I told you guys, it was a can of worms. Too late now.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
There is no practical, financial or rational thought process that will ever be convincing for spending money on an old scooter or car. New to scooters, but have a 73 Westfalia that I have owned since 1990. There have been periods of time in my life that it ran well and I used it often and other times where it had sat for years in pieces. There is a nagging feeling during those times to get rid of it but I now can comfortably leave it during those times. It will be there when time and money are more available. Recently, I built an engine from scratch and redid almost everything mechanical except the front end. It was supposed to take 6 months, but took 18. I will NEVER get the money back that I put into it but that is irrelevant. But no money could ever buy me what I learned from it about engines, patience, persistence, craftsmanship and something about life itself. Life itself? That sounds like too much, but there it is.

No money could buy the camping trips I took my sons on. Sometimes, I don't like the work and walk away. But I always come back.

There is probably something intangible that you get from working on your scoots that can't be bought. I have a friend who maintains 7 Volvos. It's crazy but I get it.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
^^ Amen brother. The best part of all of this is that I learned a lot more while working on the scooters. My son(12) now knows how to ride them and he has been learning while I was working on them. I asked the moderator (bird nest) if it was OK for me to post a new topic on the Lambretta restoration. I have no regrets after all, the hard part was convincing myself that I truly love these scooters and that I have a passion for it. Thanks for sharing.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
There is no practical, financial or rational thought process that will ever be convincing for spending money on an old scooter or car.
counter-point: my vehicle is 53 years old, I have owned it for more than half of that.

practicality: it seats four comfortably, gets reasonable mileage, is midsize so not a hassle to park, everything on it is dead simple and easy and cheap to repair, parts are plentiful. oh, an the back seat folds down so I can go to Home Depot and buy 2X4's if I need to.

financially: it's paid for, it's cheap to insure, parts are inexpensive and I can do (and have done) all the work myself. if I wanted to, I could sell it and recoup every penny I put into it over the years including purchase price and tanks of gas and still come out handsomely.

rationality: it doesn't look like all the other silver and white blob cars on the street and, to me that's cool AF, it drives like a dream, as above it's paid for and I can work on it. I know every square inch of this car from tip to tail, inside and out. I wouldn't hesitate to get into it today and drive to New York knowing full well that I would make it there and back.

now scooters on the other hand... that's a hobby, an interest, maybe a lifestyle. and generally speaking, you spend money on a hobby, it's rare to make money on a hobby. could you get some of your dough back if you sell your bike? maybe, but never look at scooters as an investment. unless you're big baller status and you're picking up high end stuff (GS/SS, wireframes, rare shit, lambrettas) and sitting on them for quite some time you're just stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
This is getting out of control $$$$. I put my Lambretta for sale for a few days but after a second thought I changed my mind and I already committed another $2500 on the Lambretta
1) Painting $1200
2) RT 195 cylinder kit, sip lightweight aluminum wheels, new tires, rear suspension, new floorboards, new emblems $1200
3) $170 just now on scooter-speed again on specialty tools and a new wiring harness for my sprint veloce

Anyone wants to keep doing the math for me?, I am at well over $4500 and counting.. I still need to get the front Lambretta suspension.... I told you guys, it was a can of worms. Too late now.
And if you are wanting to buy any tasty Casa Performance bits...well, you can pretty much factor in a cool $1k average for each individual part of theirs...and you can't just stop at 3 individual parts. Ugh!
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
counter-point: my vehicle is 53 years old, I have owned it for more than half of that.

practicality: it seats four comfortably, gets reasonable mileage, is midsize so not a hassle to park, everything on it is dead simple and easy and cheap to repair, parts are plentiful. oh, an the back seat folds down so I can go to Home Depot and buy 2X4's if I need to.

financially: it's paid for, it's cheap to insure, parts are inexpensive and I can do (and have done) all the work myself. if I wanted to, I could sell it and recoup every penny I put into it over the years including purchase price and tanks of gas and still come out handsomely.

rationality: it doesn't look like all the other silver and white blob cars on the street and, to me that's cool AF, it drives like a dream, as above it's paid for and I can work on it. I know every square inch of this car from tip to tail, inside and out. I wouldn't hesitate to get into it today and drive to New York knowing full well that I would make it there and back.

now scooters on the other hand... that's a hobby, an interest, maybe a lifestyle. and generally speaking, you spend money on a hobby, it's rare to make money on a hobby. could you get some of your dough back if you sell your bike? maybe, but never look at scooters as an investment. unless you're big baller status and you're picking up high end stuff (GS/SS, wireframes, rare shit, lambrettas) and sitting on them for quite some time you're just stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.
Well now that you mention it, lots of practical reasons for a bus. Needed a new stove, but 2 weeks for delivery. Threw it in the bus. Done. 4 x 8 stacks of drywall and plywood fit right in the back. Dump runs, a scooter fits inside and you can live in it if you have to.

Now I can philosophize AND rationalize my reasons for sinking money into this old crate.

Cheers for that!
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
No money could buy the camping trips I took my sons on. Sometimes, I don't like the work and walk away. But I always come back.

There is probably something intangible that you get from working on your scoots that can't be bought. I have a friend who maintains 7 Volvos. It's crazy but I get it.
Patience and persistence. Those two are critical! Life lesson too.
I actually restored your bus in the late 80's. Went on 2 road trips with my buddies I'll never forget. Sold it at a loss in '92 to spend a Summer backpacking around Europe.
If I had a garage and more splash then, I'd be still working on it.

A vintage Vespa is a great, beautiful, and easy to improve machine. It also fits to the side of a garage while you wait for the next tinkering opportunity.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Any Vespa with a year beyond the year 1989 isn't worth keeping or investing in. Put it on the scrap heap.

Hopefully the people on the modern side aren't reading this. I'm a biased mofo.😬
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jape wrote:
This.

That's smart.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
Any Vespa with a year beyond the year 1989 isn't worth keeping or investing in. Put it on the scrap heap.

Hopefully the people on the modern side aren't reading this. I'm a biased mofo.😬
Does that include my mint PX200 with 2 miles on the clock? It will be one of a kind in 10 years time, and was one of the last ever made. Ok, it's 'just' a P series, but it will never have any corrosion, no bits welded on, no body filler, immaculate original paint, the best 2 stroke engine (IMHO), and none of the 'patina' that people seem to crave
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
Does that include my mint PX200 with 2 miles on the clock? It will be one of a kind in 10 years time, and was one of the last ever made. Ok, it's 'just' a P series, but it will never have any corrosion, no bits welded on, no body filler, immaculate original paint, the best 2 stroke engine (IMHO), and none of the 'patina' that people seem to crave
Yawn, ok, you pass. But, you haven't said what year it is.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
nomadinsiam wrote:
Yawn, ok, you pass. But, you haven't said what year it is.
All PX200s are at least 1998. Mine was UK registered in 2003, but manufactured in 2001. BTW, I'm not suggesting that a PX200 is up there with an SS180 or a GS160, but I don't think it's good for the scrap heap
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
swa45 wrote:
All PX200s are at least 1998. Mine was UK registered in 2003, but manufactured in 2001. BTW, I'm not suggesting that a PX200 is up there with an SS180 or a GS160, but I don't think it's good for the scrap heap
Ah, shows how little I know about PX200s. I've only ever had a PX150E.
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
seamus26 wrote:
You will never ever ever ever get your money back out of it. Probably. But you'll enjoy spending it. And can you really put a price on smiles?
Amen!
OP
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Well, I put the e-brake on the maintenance cost, insurance and overall spending. I sold the 63 Lambretta this past Wednesday. Despite having spent over $1000 on a new RT 195cc cylinder kit, new aluminum wheels , new tires, floor strips and many other things I was able to scoop most of the money by selling the scooter plus the parts. The best part is that I sold it to a nice guy that owns Lambrettas , vespas and has plans of riding it.

I only put 944 miles in 8 plus years of ownership so I am happy to see it go. It also saved me the $1200 that I was about to spend this week on painting it plus the registration which was due this month.

As of today I am down to only vintage vespas. My next goal is to start getting ready of the big surplus of stuff that I have:

1) very low mile LML engine(less than 400 miles)
2) stator(double yellow)
3) spare flywheel
4) two 60'/70's main handle bar switch
5) Simonini expansion chamber for P200(right hand)
6) Polini expansion chamber for P200E(Right hand)
7) Prima expansion chamber for P200E(left hand)
7) Carburator box with oil mechanism
8) spare unused voltage regulator (2 red 1 yellow), ordered from scooterwest recently
9) new(unused) 60/70's slotted Newfren front brake shoes
10) Spare PX150 (original piaggio) cylinder/piston/head with 3700 miles (excellent condition)
11) Rear Euro style Series rear tail light
12) spare 60/70's seat (gray leather)

What you see on the list is basically a list of parts that the shop that I use to take my scooter to ordered extra while t-shooting. Other parts I "fukced" up by ordering twice by accident on the shopping cart like the brake shoes and the rest are parts that I acquired over the years.

I have more parts, you would just have to ask. There should be a post with pictures on the for sale section probably by this weekend.
UTC

GTS

GTS
UTC quote
Quality problem to have but I'd probably err on the side of saving the money given how few miles you put on them. That said, if you've got the money to burn and really want to go for it, why not?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0304s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]