OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Looking for a bolt on small frame kit. Im not looking to port casings as i want to reverse it if necessary to keep originality and limited to a 112 max kit as i have a PK XL75 and clearly i was wrong when i believed i could go higher due to 43mm stroke, was informed this only applied to the xl2, but no its xl1 also. Just been fitted with a new genuine stator and serviced by my wonderful engineer and its bang on the money running lovely.

I have delorto 20mm carb as standard and a very decent clutch already, the XL clutch. Looking at kit recommendations with the carb and clutch i have all i need on this front if im just going bolt on. The brakes are as fierce as anything so i have the stopping power.

Theres the cheap and cheerful DR102, or Malossi 112 or Polini 112.

If i was going to put a bolt on kit what cylinder kit would you recommend and what exhaust to go with it? Im not looking to change primary gearing as i just want a local hack scooter for popping around town and gong to the beach. The little 75 is very punchy already and the acceleration is pretty swift with the current gearing setup. Not sure what gearing they used on these but its swift.

My priority is reliablity and something that isnt gonna go pop after a 1000 miles. I know the DRs are very reliable, my px177 DR testimony of this, but a bit lacklustre. Thanks in advance.
UTC

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177

Addicted
Old douglas ..smallie with polini 115..super with nasco 177
UTC quote
pinasco 102 all day long over polini and malossi....reliability
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
I am going to answer for two main reasons:

1) A 1989 Vespa 75 XL elestart was my first ever new bike and I purchased it new in Seville(Spain on December 1989) from a Motovespa dealer.
2) I have had Polini, Malossi and pinasco cylinder kits on my various P series vespas

In summary, I would run away from Pinasco, it was proven to be the biggest POS I ever put on a scooter in my span of 32 years of owning scooters on and off. The Pinasco 210cc on my P200 disintegrated like crumble blue cheese. too much advertising of "Nickesil" liner, exotic alloy blah-blah-blah and it disintegrated like crackers. Everything, piston, piston rings and scratched/grooved cylinder head. Not only it gave me half a dozen soft seizes but it also felt apart just cruising at 45-50 miles.

You can go ahead and listen to the same repetitive feedbacks: "Pinasco is a great tourer"!! Malossi is a "high revving kit"...!! "Polini is an all great around kit!!". In my experience I just can never ever recommend Pinasco after seeing how badly the kit performed.

On a more positive note, I had a Polini 177CC on a Stella 2T. This kit (Polini brand) is my favorite, it made a huge difference. Noticeable power and torque increase throughout the rpms.

As far is Malossi, it is not a bad kit, I had a 166 cc kit on my PX150 for a while, it lacks on torque and you have to rev the hell out of it go fast but eventually gets there, with the Polini you accelerate and you felt the torque. With that being said, it is not ba bad kit and I have been riding everywhere very spirited. I currently have the PX15O with a 210 Malossi(p200 engine case) and I have a P200E also with a Malossi 210cc.

Can't say much negative on the Malossi because at least they are lasting and they do deliver power on top. Do what your gut tells you.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
I had a Pinasco 102 kit on my 1981 50. It still had a 3 speed transmission. I had zero problems with the kit, but the scooter still wasn’t nearly fast enough for my (special) needs, so I ended up selling the scooter about 4 years ago. The new buyer lives in the city, so it worked perfect for her.

Years ago I used to have a Pinasco 215 kit in my PX. I wouldn’t recommend buying that kit.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
This is my second about town scooter. I have a px dr 177 so appreciate this 75 scoot will not be going much above 50 mph kitted. It’s 4 speed. The px does 60plus all day long so high top end is not my priority for this 75 kitting as I have the px for touring. I’m going to open it up wot. today as having mot test and find out what top speed ithas as standard with gps . If you run a smallie with kit any of your experiences with kit makes appreciated . Thanks all
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
Is your reason for sticking with the short stroke just a case of not wanting to split the casings? ie cheap and cheerful, remove the current barrel and just bolt new one on.

Have a check of what gearing its got, on the 50's the gearing is really low so all you achieve by putting a kit on is making it rev harder but not really getting much more speed. Ideally you'd want 3.00 24/72 for the 100cc kits.

As for what kit, how about the polini 102? its got a thicker walled spigot than the 112 because the bore is a bit smaller and less prone to overheating. for exhaust, polini snail, or maybe the right hand version if you want to keep the spare wheel.

Have you checked as well the spigot size on the casings, isnt the short stroke 75 the one with the weird size where nothing fits. Large transfers though.

Or you could just go mental and get a vmc100.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Thanks for this excellent reply . I’ve just had it passed at MOT centre so happy chap. For a 74cc it’s certainly impressive hitting 48mph gps and getting there very quickly. Guess the reason for the 20mm carb as standard . I ran out of road and I got reckon with another exhaust will hit 50. I’m wondering if kitting is worth it now. I read on scooter kit suppliers about if you fit this and fit that you can reach 90kmh but for 5 mph is it worth it. But yes the polini 102 looks good , I’ve heard good things about it and if it gives me some punch to get to 50 mph a bit quicker it’s cheap enough to do. I shall do some research regarding spigot, thank you for advice. It felt a bit hairy on little wheels and it’s so light too.
Max speed
Max speed
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
It almost sounds like 'if its not broke, don't fix it'

It depends as well on what you are going to be using it for, if its a pop to the shops scooter then 50 and good acceleration is probably all you need.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
It almost sounds like 'if its not broke, don't fix it'

It depends as well on what you are going to be using it for, if its a pop to the shops scooter then 50 and good acceleration is probably all you need.
Yes, i have my 177 PX for long trips and this is for nipping to local area, beach etc. I only really need the cylinder kit and maybe exhaust so for a couple of hundred quid probably be worth the 102 down the line. Thanks for your help.
@christopher_55934 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 Stella 225

Ossessionato
@christopher_55934 avatar
2007 Stella 225
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
I am going to answer for two main reasons:

1) A 1989 Vespa 75 XL elestart was my first ever new bike and I purchased it new in Seville(Spain on December 1989) from a Motovespa dealer.
2) I have had Polini, Malossi and pinasco cylinder kits on my various P series vespas

In summary, I would run away from Pinasco, it was proven to be the biggest POS I ever put on a scooter in my span of 32 years of owning scooters on and off. The Pinasco 210cc on my P200 disintegrated like crumble blue cheese. too much advertising of "Nickesil" liner, exotic alloy blah-blah-blah and it disintegrated like crackers. Everything, piston, piston rings and scratched/grooved cylinder head. Not only it gave me half a dozen soft seizes but it also felt apart just cruising at 45-50 miles.

You can go ahead and listen to the same repetitive feedbacks: "Pinasco is a great tourer"!! Malossi is a "high revving kit"...!! "Polini is an all great around kit!!". In my experience I just can never ever recommend Pinasco after seeing how badly the kit performed.

On a more positive note, I had a Polini 177CC on a Stella 2T. This kit (Polini brand) is my favorite, it made a huge difference. Noticeable power and torque increase throughout the rpms.

As far is Malossi, it is not a bad kit, I had a 166 cc kit on my PX150 for a while, it lacks on torque and you have to rev the hell out of it go fast but eventually gets there, with the Polini you accelerate and you felt the torque. With that being said, it is not ba bad kit and I have been riding everywhere very spirited. I currently have the PX15O with a 210 Malossi(p200 engine case) and I have a P200E also with a Malossi 210cc.

Can't say much negative on the Malossi because at least they are lasting and they do deliver power on top. Do what your gut tells you.
Why was it soft seizing? Without fixing whatever was wrong with the setup and repeating it several times I would expect the cylinder to fall apart.
@gravelrash2004 avatar
UTC

Addicted
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi

Addicted
@gravelrash2004 avatar
P Series / Li / LML / Motobi
UTC quote
if you are feeling lik and 80's scooterboy all over again, then kit it and thrash it.... if its just for fun and you have another workhorse for doing rideouts rallies etc.... leave it alone.

but then again when did scooterboys ever leave things well alone..... i never have
ferriswolf wrote:
Yes, i have my 177 PX for long trips and this is for nipping to local area, beach etc. I only really need the cylinder kit and maybe exhaust so for a couple of hundred quid probably be worth the 102 down the line. Thanks for your help.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Thanks for this excellent reply . I’ve just had it passed at MOT centre so happy chap. For a 74cc it’s certainly impressive hitting 48mph gps and getting there very quickly. Guess the reason for the 20mm carb as standard . I ran out of road and I got reckon with another exhaust will hit 50. I’m wondering if kitting is worth it now. I read on scooter kit suppliers about if you fit this and fit that you can reach 90kmh but for 5 mph is it worth it. But yes the polini 102 looks good , I’ve heard good things about it and if it gives me some punch to get to 50 mph a bit quicker it’s cheap enough to do. I shall do some research regarding spigot, thank you for advice. It felt a bit hairy on little wheels and it’s so light too.
hmmm...that was about the same top speed as my 50 Special when i had a Pinasco 102 kit in it (along with a Leo Vince pipe).
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
Those transfer ports look huge!
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Why was it soft seizing? Without fixing whatever was wrong with the setup and repeating it several times I would expect the cylinder to fall apart.
Is a good question. I switched to Motul 710 at around that time and I never had any problems since. Only one time I put a hole in a stock P200E but I was going fast(over 65mph) sustained speed and with over lubricated mixture.

I am thinking that either I had a defective Pinasco kit or the metallurgic /alloy of the Pinasco combined with the air to fuel ratios were not correct. The thing is that I haven't changed much at all as far is carburetors and jets. It was extremely disappointing to see how badly the piston felt apart, there were chunks of piston lose on the edges, the rings were broken. Imagine when you eat a dry cookie(oreo) or crackers, that is how the piston was. The cylinder liner was grooved. The Nickasil liner did not performed.

The polinis and Malossis have performed so well on 4 of the P series applications(scooters) after the Pinasco fiasco.
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
Back to the OP again. I mentioned that my first scooter was a PK75 XL elestart which I purchased new in Dec 1989. My father was very stubborn and he did not want me to buy the 125cc because I was months away from being legally age licensed, 125cc would require me to be at least 18 and I was 17 at the time so the 75cc was my only option(age legally).

I regret that decision ever since. For the same price of the PK75XL elestart (electric starter) I could have had the 125cc with no electric start. The 125cc proven to be a heck more Vespa, proof is that I went trough 4 pistons on the PK75XL.

If I have to do it again I would recommend you just selling the PK75 XL and just jumping into the PK125XL and do the cylinder kit instead, you will end up with anywhere between 166 to 180cc ish depending on what kit you decide to do. My PK75XL was only rated at 5.6hp and the 125cc at the time was rated at 7.8 hp but it had more noticeable torque.

The gearing on the PK75XL is very short, I guess that is a good thing because if you live in a European city or small city you need the short gearing. My PK75xl never saw the speedometer at 80 km/h, It would hit 75km/h (roughly 47mph indicated).

You can do the cylinder kit and get by but the way to go is the bigger engine.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Thanks for your replies guys. I dont want to sell it as I knew what I was getting into. The 75 was right on my doorstep to buy and quite frankly all small frames imo in UK are hard to find where they haven't been dicked about with. My last small frame was a pk ets in 1986 so just wanted nostalgia to just jump on and go local. My 177 does nearly 65mph which is for long runs. So this little 75 if I can get to 50mph quickly with a kit thats good. It could be just a change of pipe will get me there .my GPS stated 48mph so its pretty good . What are the Leo vince pipes like? Our local speed limits are 30mph , to 50mph where i might be heading in local area so more than 50mph is not necessary but grunt is. Thx all.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I'm no expert on kits at all, but for what it's worth, I have cast iron Malossi 135 on my ET3 and it's rock solid and a good daily rider. Just swapped out what appears to be an old SIP Road pipe on it for a Malossi pipe on a recommendation here and THAT had the bigger impact on the feel of its rev point - but it still feels totally appropriate around town, just need to change how I play the throttle and shifts a little.

I tried DR and Polini kits on my old ET2 and kind of liked the DR better, actually
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
when you get down to it, the bang for the buck is getting the big crank in there so you can run the bigger displacement kits. and don't get the flimsy 19mm taper crank, get the et3 20mm or the PK one so it doesn't crack off when you go tuning. the 20 and pk taper cranks let you go electronic as well.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Would it mean, even with a crank change, that the stator and flywheel would need changing if the crank taper is larger? I see the stators and flywheels come in different sizes in fitting widths, 19mm, 20mm etc. I do have an old flywheel and stator at the mechanics, so i can ask him to measure the flywheel bore for starters to see if its 20mm, its a PK after all. The spanish stators are unique due to the fact motovespas have lights on all the time, mine doesnt have electric start either, i was lucky to just source a brand new genuine piaggio one with flywheel in the UK. Its gonna cost quite a lot of wonga for all these changes in parts and labour to gain, what, 5-8mph top end. So crank, primary gear, possibly different stator/flywheel, labour?!? I think the pK125S was good for about 55mph, so i assume a larger 130 kit would take me to a similar top end?

Its looking like i either stay as is and stick on a banana pipe, say.
Or, go for a 102 kit if that will fit, with a banana pipe, however, it was mentioned about spigot sizes too, are we talking the bit where piston attaches to crank end with gudgeon pin? Is that the spigot?!?! I guess the only way to find out is to whip off the barrel and pop the piston off and measure that bit. But if it is smaller, i assume a new crank would address this issue of the spigot, assuming thats the bit you are talking about.

Ive got this pricing list if go whole hog.
race crank £112
24/72 primary gear kit £52.00
Polini 130 kit £178
SIP Road banana £126
Jetting selection £20
Newfren Race Clutch £80
Labour £200-300

Total £778.00 or just over $1000 USD.

Then i see polini 102 on SIP for about £100.00 and it states fits following

Fits all Vespa 50/PK/XL/XL2 models, except PK automatic. The crankdases should be matched to the larger cylinder transfer ports.
So then i would go with 24/72 upgear £52.00
SIP road banana £126.00 and keep my current clutch as its an XL one (sip recommendation). Plus labour about £200.00, jet kit £20.00
So about £500 when all done, or not even bother with gear kit reducing labour costs too. i hit 48mph GPS as is and i wasnt revving out either so there a few MPH left in it. I reckon i would good for about 52-54 mph but get there quick for a budget £350 ish.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Pound for pound, just starting out with a PK125XL or an ETS is money in the bank. With a stock motor they'll both hit 55-60mph. No need to spend any money on any sort of performance parts, just keep it stock and go ride it as is.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Pound for pound, just starting out with a PK125XL or an ETS is money in the bank. With a stock motor they'll both hit 55-60mph. No need to spend any money on any sort of performance parts, just keep it stock and go ride it as is.
Yes, thats fair comment but they arent easily sourced in UK. ETS rarely come up and when they do they go for mega bucks despite them also being pissed about with engine wise so not original. The last one on ebay didnt even has an ETS engine in it, it was from another PK and kitted. An ETS only in frame, not in engine. I own an XL75 so thats what im working with. PK125XL's, never see them over here on ebay or private sale they are gone in a flash. If you do see a PK on ebay here they are things to avoid as you can clearly see they have been cludged together and done up in a way that is stereotypical or what the naive sellers non-scooterists think scooterists in the uK wants out for a quick buck. Terrible resprays in some fugly colour, Union jacks or air force targets painted, vespa badges in the wrong place and crappy bling are not for me. I want as standard to original bike and sadly you dont see them. My xl is honest and solid and is what i could get and realistic for me to collect as only 8 miles away. Its great fun to ride, passed its MOT test and im looking advice for upgrading as its all i could get my hands on after searching two years.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
So if $1000 is out of the question, then probably proceed, it just seems like if you're going to kit it, by ignoring the crank and resulting better cylinders, you're leaving a lot off the table. It's not all about top speed, the torque difference will be a lot. I set up and geared my DR130 correctly and it was a very usable bike on 55 MPH roads, with enough torque to pull up the bigger hills around here still in 4th with only a bit of a slowdown. If you're living with no hills, maybe you don't need it?

Most people who just put a top end on end up doing more because they didn't have a solid plan going in.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
So if $1000 is out of the question, then probably proceed, it just seems like if you're going to kit it, by ignoring the crank and resulting better cylinders, you're leaving a lot off the table. It's not all about top speed, the torque difference will be a lot. I set up and geared my DR130 correctly and it was a very usable bike on 55 MPH roads, with enough torque to pull up the bigger hills around here still in 4th with only a bit of a slowdown. If you're living with no hills, maybe you don't need it?

Most people who just put a top end on end up doing more because they didn't have a solid plan going in.
No hills here, i have my 177px for those type of journeys. Its for doing shortish trips with quicker poke for getting past the sunday drivers doing 30mph on 50mph legal road. You are right though in your thinking, ive certainly done this by the kits in my shed and exhausts barely used. Maybe i put it on the back boiler until im flush with cash and decide to go bonkers. I will however get the sip road pipe as thats something that i can certainly reuse on whatever route i go. Thanks bud.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
UTC quote
Quote:
however, it was mentioned about spigot sizes too, are we talking the bit where piston attaches to crank end with gudgeon pin? Is that the spigot?!?! I guess the only way to find out is to whip off the barrel and pop the piston off and measure that bit. But if it is smaller, i assume a new crank would address this issue of the spigot, assuming thats the bit you are talking about.
The spigot is the bottom of the barrel where it slides into the cases. The bit you are thinking about is the con-rod small end, and yes, there is a difference in sizes between the 43mm stroke and 51mm stroke small ends.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Matchlessman wrote:
The spigot is the bottom of the barrel where it slides into the cases. The bit you are thinking about is the con-rod small end, and yes, there is a difference in sizes between the 43mm stroke and 51mm stroke small ends.
Does this give any clues to what im dealing with? 47 X 43 mm, the 43 is the stroke, At least the fuel consumption of a 75cc looks amazing
Manual
Manual
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes
UTC quote
In the UK (UK gallon) That's 158 miles per gallon. I fill up the 221 twice a day riding around the city. PK75 not so daft after all.
UTC

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3

Addicted
PK50XL, PK100S, ET3
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
That's a dead useful site http://www.solovespa.com/identifica.html
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
the proboards forum is the place to be for smallies. problem is that a lot of that activity has moved on to facebook, even amongst the most active contributors (henri, etc). there's still enough to make it worth your while though. most of them participate in the facebook group Tik's - Everything Smallframe, so you can get good answers there too.
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
Pretty sure the PK crank will be large taper already, so going to a 51mm crank won't require a new flywheel(pretty sure) If you want to avoid gearing changes than a high revving kit and pipe will give you the best top end speed without pushing the kit it's max all the time, though I think there are drive gears made to work with the original ring gear for relatively cheap and easy upgear. Also, isn't the 75cc already a kit? you need to find out what you have primary wise.
heres some gears https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/search/primary%20gear?model=eyJzY29vdGVyVHlwZSI6IntcIm5hbWVcIjpcIlZlc3BhICA1MC0xMjUvUFYvRVQzL1BLL1hMXCIsXCJzbHVnXCI6XCJUNFwifSIsInByb2R1Y2VyIjoie1wiZ3VpZFwiOlwiYjk2MjM1NDUtZGIyNC00YTYzLTljY2EtMTE1MTg3YWFmZmRkXCIsXCJpZFwiOjYsXCJwcm9kdWNlcm5hbWVcIjpcIlZFU1BBXCJ9IiwibW9kZWwiOiJ7XCJuYW1lXCI6XCJQSyA1MCBYTDIgLyBFbGVzdGFydCA1MCBjY20gMlQgQUMgJzkwLSBWNVgzVFwiLFwibW9kZWxfbnVtYmVyXCI6OTYzfSJ9&dim=2
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Does this give any clues to what im dealing with? 47 X 43 mm, the 43 is the stroke, At least the fuel consumption of a 75cc looks amazing
My PK75XL use to give me almost spot on 180km city but that was me driving it nuts in town, full throttle everywhere on every traffic light, you had to go full throttle because the 5.7 hp or so felt slow. I am sure you could get the advertised 340km (232 miles) but at what speeds? 65km/h? the top speed indicated was 75 km/h.

The chart shows four little "a" on the left, that comes from 1a (primera or first) 2a(segunda or second)3a(tercera or third) and so on. The top of the page should read: caracteristicas tecnicas y prestaciones.

I stand strong on what I said a couple of days, don't invest much on it, the low displacement is very limited, just throw a affordable proven cylinder kit and call it a day, the gearing is very short, you wouldn't go too fast but you would get to speed decently quick.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
scooterist wrote:
My PK75XL use to give me almost spot on 180km city but that was me driving it nuts in town, full throttle everywhere on every traffic light, you had to go full throttle because the 5.7 hp or so felt slow. I am sure you could get the advertised 340km (232 miles) but at what speeds? 65km/h? the top speed indicated was 75 km/h.

The chart shows four little "a" on the left, that comes from 1a (primera or first) 2a(segunda or second)3a(tercera or third) and so on. The top of the page should read: caracteristicas tecnicas y prestaciones.

I stand strong on what I said a couple of days, don't invest much on it, the low displacement is very limited, just throw a affordable proven cylinder kit and call it a day, the gearing is very short, you wouldn't go too fast but you would get to speed decently quick.
Thank you all for your replies, its useful. It gets to top speed quick as it is, as i said earlier 48 mph on gps. I dont believe its kitted already as its model is actually called a PK75XL. Im not looking for radical top ends but i would like that speed boost for overtaking the sunday drivers doing 30 mph on a 50mph road. So getting to the optimal top speed quickly is my aim. Hoping something like a DR102 will just fit. Long way to go, just sent away my V55/5 to DVLA to get a UK registration but i hear they are so slow it could take months, so i cant even drive it legally until this happens. Im insured and its MOT, but i could get booked for no registration or road tax although i know of a lot of people with spanish plates never getting stopped by police as they cant be bothered and dont know what to do. However im not taking the chance. Plan is if the UK registration gets processed then i do
New rear brake pads, new tyres, new front shock (its very dippy on brakes which are as sharp as anything).
Kit if i can to a DR102.
Then address some dings and scrapes on it.
Then use it around town as my local run about and use the PX177 for long faster runs.

Thanks all for your advice.
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
UTC quote
I have 50 Special and tried different parts.

75cc Polini, 19.19 carb, Abarth twinpipe exhaust and 18/67(3.72) primary give me top speed of 72-74 km/h.

Then I put 102cc DR and Polini Banana exhaust. And engine began to gain high revs very quickly, but it was very uncomfortable to drive - the primary was too short and the crusing/top speed was the same but much higher revs.

Then I put 19/60(3.16) primary and Mazzucchelli racing crankshaft. Everything worked fine and I liked how it was. But few weeks later I put 20/60(3.00) primary and it was perfect configuration! Really like it. Good torque and near 87 km//h top speed. A bit later I put SIP/Vape Road ignition.

And last what i do is putting a Polini 102cc. It gives significantly more power than DR and revs faster. Top speed is near 95 km/h. Maybe in future I try 21/60(2.86) primary.

All cylinders was mounted p'n'p without any porting or case matched.

Also I rode my mate's PK 50 with Polini 75cc, original crankshaft, 16.15 carb, 16/69(4.31) primary and original exhaust. The feelings is how from my Special with 102cc DR and 18/67(3.72) primary too revvy, too short gears and too low top speed near 65 km/h.
⚠️ Last edited by roland87 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
roland87 wrote:
I have 50 Special and tried different parts.

75cc Polini, 19.19 carb, Abarth twinpipe exhaust and 18/67(3.72) primary give me top speed of 72-74 km/h.

Then I put 102cc DR and Polini Banana exhaust. And engine began to gain high revs very quickly, but it was very uncomfortable to drive - the primary was too short and the crusing/top speed was the same but much higher revs.

Then I put 19/60(3.16) primary and Mazzucchelli racing crankshaft. Everything worked fine and I liked how it was. But few weeks later I put 20/60(3.00) primary and it was perfect configuration! Really like it. Good torque and near 87 km//h top speed. A bit later I put SIP/Vape Road ignition.

And last what i do is putting a Polini 102cc. It gives significantly more power than DR and revs faster. Top speed is near 95 km/h. Maybe in future I try 21/60(2.86) primary.

All cylinders was mounted p'n'p without any porting or case matched.

Also I rode my mate's PK 50 with Polini 75cc, original crankshaft 16.15 carb, 16/69(4.31) primary and original exhaust. The feelings is how from my Special with 102cc DR and 18/67(3.72) primary too revvy, too short gears and too low top speed near 65 km/h.
Thanks for sharing this. Is your top speed GPS or speedo reading? I read about the DR102 and watched some youtubers claiming their top speed at 47mph gps. Im getting nearly 50mph on GPS (ran out of road to test further) with the standard set up of 20mm carb, standard XL 75cc barrel piston and standard exhaust. I havent been able to take out since coming back from MOT test as im not allowed to drive legally on the road until my UK registration number comes back (scooter is spanish import) so cant truly know my final top speed. so im now drawn to keeping it bog standard. However, i like the results from your last setup, thats very good for a small frame. I believe the XL 75 has large transfer ports on it and guess that motovespa fitting a 20mm carb as standard means it was built for being fairly quick for such a small capacity. Looing at the motovespa factory certificate for my PK it states 5.2 horsepower which is similar to the lambretta vega 75cc which put out about 53mph top speed standard. Knowing me i will be tempted by the tuning element down the line however the cost for parts and fitting to gain 5mph more, not sure if its worth it. Going to definitely replace the standard front shock as its so soft and dippy.
⚠️ Last edited by ferriswolf on UTC; edited 1 time
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Is your top speed GPS or speedo reading?
GPS
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
roland87 wrote:
GPS
Very good! Sure its a blast to drive.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Can anybody recommend a good front shock absorber for my PK? I see they range from 50 pounds to 180 pounds. The original is very dippy on braking and too soft for my liking. It passed its MOT test so i guess its safe but id like something stiffer. I have no idea about makes as i have never changed a stock shock on a vespa. Thanks.
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
UTC quote
I use YSS X-Pro on all my scooters. Perfect price/quality as for me.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
roland87 wrote:
I use YSS X-Pro on all my scooters. Perfect price/quality as for me.
Thanks for this, yes i can get that make in the UK and good value by the looks of things. Thank you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1769s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1329s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]