OP
UTC

ET2

ET2
UTC quote
I've searched till my eyes are sore but haven't found anyone with the same problem I'm having.
2005 ET 2 US model. No electrical power to anything when turning the key on. 12.7 volts at the battery but swapped a new battery from one of my other ET's just to make sure. Even jumped direct from my VW to be absolutely sure.
Easy start with kick starter at which point the oil light flickers and most of the time the headlight works but not always. No horn or brake light ever It acts exactly like they do when you forget to reconnect the battery after storage and use the kick starter.

I've done the following; Checked continuity between every ground wire at the kill switch, starter switch, ignition switch, starter, engine etc. and all were full continuity.
Swapped from another known running ET the starter relay, ignition switch, relay up by the horn.
Actually pulled the starter just to make sure it functioned properly.
Recent history of what I thought was an ignition switch going bad. It occasionally would not excite the lighting circuit unless I wiggled the ignition switch in the on position. so that was the first place I started. Actually pulled the first switch apart and checked the continuity in all the positions and they were good so I swapped it anyway.
I know it's going to be something incredibly simple but I don't know what's left to try.
Thanks!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
Welcome to MV.

Great picture!

Checked fuses?
OP
UTC

ET2

ET2
UTC quote
Oops. Forgot to mention that. It checked out as well.
Thanks!
znomit wrote:
Welcome to MV.

Great picture!

Checked fuses?
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
So, the horn, starter, and brake light run off the battery.

The headlight runs directly off the stator - meaning when it is running, the headlight should too.

You can find other old threads on here with similar problems - and could try contacting the people who (hopefully) solved them: Vespa ET2 Electrics

In your case, I think we are getting an important clue: the fact it starts just fine by kick points to the battery-routed circuit - but the intermittent headlight is inconsistent with that. My suspicion, then, is a bad ground or a worn wire getting grounded out when it shouldn't. Somehow your battery circuit seems like it isn't connected somewhere, and vibration or movement is also cutting the headlight intermittently.

If I had to guess: somewhere in the neck of the scooter because the wiring gets twisted back and forth when you turn the handlebars. But hard to know
@jixaw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2

Hooked
@jixaw avatar
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
i know you checked the fuse but i am going to recommend you swap the fuse anyway. It really sounds like what i had experienced on my ET2. In my case, i kept blowing fuses because i had a blinker wire rubbing against ground.

also confirm that your brake light switches are working..if they arent, you wont be able to use the electric starter...you have to hold one of the brakes to get the starter to work...
OP
UTC

ET2

ET2
UTC quote
I agree on it being the battery circuit and my guess is it being a bad ground. I've tried moving the ground wires while checking continuity and also checking continuity directly from the battery ground to virtually every ground wire I can get to with no faults.
Chasing the wires through the chassis should be fun. Does anyone know if there is a connector as the main harness comes out of the tunnel on either end or should I plan on pulling the harness front to back?
Thanks for all the help.
xantufrog wrote:
So, the horn, starter, and brake light run off the battery.

The headlight runs directly off the stator - meaning when it is running, the headlight should too.

You can find other old threads on here with similar problems - and could try contacting the people who (hopefully) solved them: Vespa ET2 Electrics

In your case, I think we are getting an important clue: the fact it starts just fine by kick points to the battery-routed circuit - but the intermittent headlight is inconsistent with that. My suspicion, then, is a bad ground or a worn wire getting grounded out when it shouldn't. Somehow your battery circuit seems like it isn't connected somewhere, and vibration or movement is also cutting the headlight intermittently.

If I had to guess: somewhere in the neck of the scooter because the wiring gets twisted back and forth when you turn the handlebars. But hard to know
OP
UTC

ET2

ET2
UTC quote
Good idea on the fuse. I'll throw a new one in. I checked for loose wires on the brake switches but I'll go back and check continuity on both. Thanks!
jixaw wrote:
i know you checked the fuse but i am going to recommend you swap the fuse anyway. It really sounds like what i had experienced on my ET2. In my case, i kept blowing fuses because i had a blinker wire rubbing against ground.

also confirm that your brake light switches are working..if they arent, you wont be able to use the electric starter...you have to hold one of the brakes to get the starter to work...
OP
UTC

ET2

ET2
UTC quote
OK. Saved most of my hair. Turned out to be a bad battery and a fuse that while tested as good, wasn't??
Battery tested at 12.7 volts and held steady but obviously a dead short. I wasn't smart enough to try it in my other ET that I pulled the good battery from initially. Same story on the fuse. While I also pulled it from the good scooter to see if that was the problem, I wasn't smart enough to try it on the good scooter.
Next time, I need to remember that more than one thing can fail at the same time.
Really appreciate all the help.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Woo! Congrats.
@jixaw avatar
UTC

Hooked
2003 Vespa ET2

Hooked
@jixaw avatar
2003 Vespa ET2
UTC quote
great work...keep those ETs on the road
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0150s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0057s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]