OP
UTC

2010 GTS 300ie Super

2010 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
I’m looking at mounting my 12.9 iPad onto my 2016 500. This is the holder I’d use

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP24U

Now my question is this, have any of you actually mounted one on your bike? I’d love it right where the multimedia thing goes but am unsure how to accomplish this.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I have never seen anyone post about mounting an iPad on a bike but I suppose it could be done. Seems like though it would be cumbersome and in the way most of the time.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Mounting a device that large will increase the likelihood of it flying off
OP
UTC

2010 GTS 300ie Super

2010 GTS 300ie Super
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
I have never seen anyone post about mounting an iPad on a bike but I suppose it could be done. Seems like though it would be cumbersome and in the way most of the time.
The reason for me is my iPhone is not the easiest thing to follow for map directions especially in the day. My 52 year old eyeballs require something larger. Plus it’s only to be used in the city while doing Uber Eats.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 ie 400 (RIP)
UTC quote
randyjsmith wrote:
I’m looking at mounting my 12.9 iPad onto my 2016 500. This is the holder I’d use

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP24U

Now my question is this, have any of you actually mounted one on your bike? I’d love it right where the multimedia thing goes but am unsure how to accomplish this.
I do not recommend to use this one, as this is meant for in a car, thus not strong enough to be used on a bike where you have the movement and wind factors (especially this size as other poster mentioned).

I recommend either of the following: a motor bike phone mount or a hard mount GPS unit (like TomTom or NavMan) and both (phone mount and hard mount unit) have the voice direction where you can install a bluetooth in helmet speakers. so you can hear the directions and by experience you would rely mostly on voice directions than the screen, as you can not move your eyes from the road for more than a second or so.

Ride safe!
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
Several things you need to consider.

1) Size and weight. On a bike, something that big is going to act like a sail. Also, the heavier a mounted item the more it is going to vibrate rendering it unreadable/unusable.

2) Screen type. In all likelihood, the screen of a tablet will act like a mirror when used during daylight hours especially on clear sunny days. If you cannot see the screen, what is the point in having it mounted to the bike?

3) Dust and dirt deterrance. Unless you have a high end sleeve to protect the ports and screen, it is going to make the item prone to getting damaged. Apple is usually always the first in line to deny any warranty claims to their customers, so keep that in mind. Also, even if you did have a sleeve it would likely no longer fit the holder such as the one linked in the first post.

4)Useability. With something that big mounted, it is likely going to interfere. Most likely it is going to obscure most if not all of your instruments. Also, it may cause interference when turning at full lock.

5) Battery anxiety. Screens are the biggest consumer of mobile devices. The larger the screen, the more battery power needed, the heavier the weight, etc. Since you are planning on using this presumably for work purposes, you need to determine if the device can last a full shift + at least 2-3 extra hours screen lit at full brightness nonstop on a daily basis. Yes, the MP3 does have a USB charge port but again then you will be exposing the device to dirt/dust & water making it vulnerable although Apple will be more than happy to sell you a brand new unit.

6) Theft deterrance. You will need to invest in the necessary hardware to prevent your device from getting stolen. Mounting something as big as a 13inch tablet to a bike is akin to putting a neon "STEAL ME" sign on the bike.

FWIW, I've tried the cell phone solutions but I keep coming back to my hard mounted TomTom. Why? It fits perfectly in the center valley of the handle bars and thus no vibration. It is fully supported by Piaggio since they sell the wire harness and mounting hardware to eliminate any hacking of the vehicle electrical system. Also, the system turns off automatically when the ignition is shut off. The most important 4 reasons? The TomTom has a solar cap to eliminate solar glare. Secondly, it has a perfectly matte screen to ensure it remains readable under all conditions. 3rd, the system is watertight. I've used mine in rain, snow and ice for over 5 years without any trouble since the GPS is powered through the gold finger contacts on the back of the GPS (no cable connection) as shown in the 1st pic). Fourth, the screen can be operated with gloves on. I cannot stress the importance of this last item which lacks on all phones/tables or other non motorcycle related touch devices.

Here is a sample pic of my TomTom mounted on my MP3 taken with the sun directly hitting the GPS & instrumentation. As you can see, the screen remains perfectly legible despite being a very sunny day where even the instrumentation is having trouble with sun glare.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0473s ][ Queries: 10 (0.0215s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]