@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
[Warning] This is a longish post and filled with technical details...

In another thread on Earbuds while riding, I described how I’ve attempted to mitigate noise in my ears while riding. I thought there’d be enough interest in it that I rewrote it and am posting it as a separate topic here to expose it to a wider audience.

First, it’s well known that riding PTWs creates unsafe noise levels inside your helmet. Anyone who rides won’t dispute that. We’ve all experienced getting off the bike after a long, fast ride and our ears are ringing and we can feel a bit disoriented. This is partially created by the noise that gets into your ears.

But there are some thing you can do to greatly reduce the noise that gets into your ears while riding.

There are two main reasons to decrease noise that gets into your ears while riding. Loud noise in your ears can and often does lead to two permanent hearing disabilities. One is permanent hearing loss due to physical damage to the hair cells in your inner ear that convert sound energy to electrical signals that go to your brain. At birth we have about 12,000 hair cells. Hair cells can be damaged and lost throughout our lifetime from loud noises, like noise inside motorcycle helmets, rock concerts and loud music in headphones. Once the hair cells are lost, they do not regenerate which results in permanent hearing loss.

The second hearing affliction is called tinnitus (said tin-it-tus, but also said tin-eye-tus) and often referred to as “ringing in the ears.” Tinnitus is perception of sound that’s not in the physical environment. Some people hear a high pitched tone (me). Some hear a noise-like sound, some hear a distant roar. And for some, what you perceive changes over time. It commonly caused by exposure to loud noise such as continuous loud noise is motorcycle helmets. There are other causes as well. More than 45 million Americans struggle with tinnitus, making it one of the most common health conditions in the US. Some people experience tinnitus sporadically or not loud (fortunately, I’m one of those. I hear it but it’s not very loud and sometimes, it completely disappears). Others experience loud noise 24x7x365, for years without a break. Ever. There is no cure. It is really a terrible condition that is not very well understood by science because it’s sound perceived in your brain and not caused by a physical source. Trust me, you don’t want to contract tinnitus.

I've experimented for years to minimize the acoustical noise from reaching my ears while riding to minimize hearing loss and tinnitus. Loud noise often triggers my tinnitus. I do everything I can to minimize loud noise getting into my ears whether riding or doing even simple things such as hitting a nail with a hammer or using an impact driver to drive a screw or loosen a nut.

There are two sources of noise to be concerned with on a motorcycle: engine noise and wind noise. Engine noise is relatively simple do deal with: Get a quiet bike. Vespas are pretty quiet and I never found them to be a problem. My BMW R1100RT has a 1100CC engine but its pretty quiet, even at WOT which I almost never do. I cringe when I read that someone is looking to increase their exhaust sound level. Harleys, Indians and similar bikes are the worst and I'd never consider getting one for that reason alone. Whenever I see a Harley rider with loud pipes barreling down the freeway with a half helmet and no windscreen, I know that person is going deaf and likely does or will suffer from tinnitus.

Here's the three things I've done to reduce wind noise level from reaching my ear canals inside my helmet. The first defense is a windscreen that come to just below your eyes. Here's an MV thread I did a 12 years ago about [url]cutting down a Vespa Large OEM windscreen[/url]. Look at the pictures to see the height I cut it and my rational. The top of the windscreen is just below eye level so it pushes the wind over my helmet. It worked great and I'd do the same thing again today without hesitation. Shorter windscreen heights will result in major wind noise in the helmet. My cockpit was pretty quiet up to 60 mph on my GTV with this windscreen. My BMW has an electrically-controlled windshield height adjustment. It's excellent. I tweak the height all the time during the ride.

The second thing I did was get the quietest modular helmet I could find. https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmet-noise/ has a great list of motorcycle helmets and their noise levels but its now 4 years out of date. The Shoei Modulars have always had relatively low noise levels in the helmet. They fit me well and I'm now on my 4th one. The helmet is even quieter with the face shield down. They are expensive but my hearing is worth it.

The last thing I did was experiement with noise cancelling headphones and earbuds. Currently, I’m using the AirPods Pros to reduce the noise that gets into my ear canals. They are excellent. I’ll say more about the Airpods Pros below.

I still get some wind noise and I can't figure out how to get rid of it completely. Yet! But I keep trying and I'll report it here if I can figure it out. I think part of the problem is that some of the wind noise is so loud that the Airpods Pros can’t generate a cancellation signal loud enough to cancel the noise that does get into my helmet so I get some residual sound. It's a viable theory anyway.

Here's how I put my helmet on without knocking out the Airpods? It took me a little trial and error to figure it out. I have a Shoei Modular helmet so the chin bar flips up which relaxes the helmet’s sides a bit so you can spread the cheeks panels apart by pulling on the straps. I first install the AirPods Pros. Then I grab the helmet by the chinstraps, spread the cheeks and throw it on top of my head and then pull it down gently being careful to not dislodge the Airpods Pros. I rarely dislodge them now. Then fasten up the straps, pulldown the chin bar, raise up the face shield and put on my sunglasses. I do just the reverse to take the helmet off.

The Airpods fall out of my ears when I remove my helmet. When I pull my helmet off, I try to get them to fall into the helmet rather than on the ground by aiming one ear and then the other into the helmet but I'm not always successful. But it works ok. Usually my rides are nonstop start-to-finish so its not a problem. Even when I fill up, I usually leave my helmet on. I rarely but occasionally stop for some food or another errand. Taking them out and putting them back in is not cumbersome, time-consuming or a hassle. It's just one more step.

After about an hour or so of riding, one or both AirPods seem to slip out of my ears which reduces the noise cancellation. It can get so bad it's like I'm not wearing any ear protection at all. I usually just find a safe place to pull over, unclasp the strap, pull the strap on the side that needs adjustment and slip my opposite hand up by my ear and try to reseat the AirPods Pros. And since I had to stop, de-glove, and release the helmet strap, I reseat the other side as well, the same way. Sometimes, I have to pull my helmet off and start over.

I wear my AirPods Pros for watching news, videos and other features on my computer and iPhone. The audio volume seems about the same under all circumstances and doesn’t change just because I have them under my helmet. I've accidentally switched-on music while riding which sounds great but I don't ride with music. I have also used the GPS voice navigation which works fine. Occasionally, I get a text which my iPhone reads to me. I can easily hear it at 70 mph at relatively low volume. “Hey Siri” doesn’t work for me but I can take a call on the phone by answering it on my phone which sends the audio signal to the Airpods Pros. People on the other end hear me just fine so I’m not sure why “Hey Siri” doesn’t work.

These are my first pair of AirPods so I don't know how they compare to previous versions. I find them quite comfortable. I wish they stayed in my ears a bit better tho. IF you are interested, my recommendation is to purchase them from Apple, BestBuy, Amazon, ... and give them a test run for a week or so. Return them if they don't work out. BTW, I purchased mine reconditioned from Apple or Amazon for about a 20% discount. Try all three of ear cushions to find the one that works best for you.

I hope all that help someone! You do not want to lose your hearing or contract tinnitus as a result of scooter or motorcycle riding. People have all sorts of reasons for not protecting their hearing just like people have all sorts of reasons for not wearing protective riding gear. I always wear hearing protection and riding gear without fail. The only time I don’t wear hearing protection is if the Airpods Pros run out of battery power, the battery usually lasts about 2.5 hours. But if I keep the speed down to less than 60, the sound level behind my windscreen and inside my helmet isn’t too bad even without the AirPods Pros. Fortunately, the Airpods Pros charge pretty quickly in their small case.

Other people have some other ideas that work in other thread I cited above.

Cheers
Miguel
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
A pair of 3M yellow foam ear plugs have been working great for me for 8 years. I buy them by the box - amazon or ebay. I wear a full-face modular helmet - which is always in the closed position while riding.
Cuts noise hugely - and I can still hear overtaking cars.

I never ride behind a screen.
O.S.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
If I know I'll be riding at more than 50 mph for more than a few minutes, I use earplugs too. Works fine for me.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
I rode for years without a helmets and did damage to my hearing (young and dumb). Now I ride with a helmet and I wear disposable foam ear plugs. I buy them by boxes of 500 and throw them away every couple days. I never realized how much riding fatigue was caused by the wind noise until I started using ear plugs. I feel a lot more "fresh" after a 500+ mile day without all the noise.

-Craig
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
I wear earplugs too, but I discovered that wearing a tube scarf around my neck helps catch what the earplugs don't. The trick is to tuck it under the front of the helmet to block incoming air. It also works with a 3/4 pilot-style helmet, if you put it over your nose to filter bugs, dirt, and sound.

Yes, I live in the desert, and yes, it gets hot. My ears are more important than how much I sweat.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I never realized how much riding fatigue was caused by the wind noise until I started using ear plugs. I feel a lot more "fresh" after a 500+ mile day without all the noise.

-Craig
that's interesting 🤔
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I wear earplugs too, but I discovered that wearing a tube scarf around my neck helps catch what the earplugs don't. The trick is to tuck it under the front of the helmet to block incoming air.
I have an old merino buff which is quite stiff so sits nicely around the bottom of the helmet. Newer buffs are softer and don't do that unfortunately.

Come summer when I ditch the buff I worry about all those engine noises I can suddenly hear.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
I have an old merino buff which is quite stiff so sits nicely around the bottom of the helmet. Newer buffs are softer and don't do that unfortunately.

Come summer when I ditch the buff I worry about all those engine noises I can suddenly hear.
HA! I do the same. Laughing emoticon
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I have posted this before, but here it comes again. I have the ear canals of an infant, maybe smaller, so foam plugs Hurt like hell after a bit. So I use Mac's Moldable Silicone plugs, which work, but not as much as foam plugs.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
UTC quote
The closed the helmet is, the less you hear the noise ...
For this reason, a modular is a good solution, especially if the manufacturer (of the helmet) indicates the decibels that the user hears.
Packing ear pads to be fixed with Velcro inside the helmet could be a solution.
But be careful, in this way you hear less external noises that can warn you of dangerous situations.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I've also found out that blocking incoming air from the neck area has a major impact to noise reduction with many helmets. I wear full face helmets, so don't know how other types behave.

New helmets are better in taking care of this part, but with the old ones:

- I'll keep the visor closed when riding above bicycle speeds. Most (all?) ff helmet manufacturers optimize the ventilation assuming the visor is closed. In most models closing the visor completely, to the lock position, reduce noise a lot.

-many helmets have either removable or fixed 'chin curtains'. I believe there are some accessories sold too. Definitely worth trying.

- I've found that the best combination for reducing wind noise from the neck area with a helmet without a chin curtain (like mine at the moment) is to wear a balaclava under the helmet and use a riding jacket that has a high windstopper collar. The balaclava may also help keeping the earplugs in place, as observed in the other thread. The only challenge I've found is that some specs with thicker arms are difficult to slip behind your ears if the sides of the face opening in the balaclava are pressed tightly by helmet.

-because of the specs issue, with my thick armed sunglasses I too wear a thick, wind stopper tube scarf instead.

-the high windstopper collar makes a big difference in the equation. I have also a 'classic' style leather jacket with a traditional short neck collar - major difference in how wind gets under my helmet!

Have to add - this all is easy to say and do in our mild temperatures, I can see the challenge in warmer areas.

I'll second Miquel's observations on the wind shields. Mayby have to add that many, if not most of the bikes that have not been originally designed with full fairings typically generate more noise with anykind of windshield than without.

This keeps coming as a surprise to many riders who buy naked or semi-naked bikes and wish to get some protection from the elements by installing accessory shields. It seems to be very common, that as the shield often does reduce wind pressure, riders are first happy with the change and find the cockpit a more relaxed place to be. Only when the shield is removed for some reason or another, they realize that the actual noise level is less without it!

I hear this same thing continuously, as I've always liked naked bikes and talk with other people who ride those too. I've done my own trials during the years and always ended up riding a naked bike without anykind of windshield. I've also ridden, not owned, bikes with full fairings and I'm ready to confess the best of those are quiet.

I have a minor case of tinnitus myself, of the 'high pitch whine' type. I personally dislike the bulkiness and weight of bikes with full fairings and the feeling of not being exposed to the elements in full. Still, one day I may have to make the decision whether that is still better than not to ride at all. So far I rather ride naked bikes slower and try to protect my hearing.
UTC

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa

Addicted
SilverWing 600-- 4nprevious Vespa
UTC quote
As veteran of 67 years of 2 wheels and over 1.5 million miles....82 and still have my hearing.
First you need to look at windshield and its design. Big frame Vespas with proper windshield look over height/and angle can be quite wind quiet. Older BMW's with Heinrich Fairing, really buffet free---and last My new '66 Harley Sidecar outfit with winter windshield kit and of course look over, quite free of air noise.

.I buy foam air plugs by the box---touring days I go thru 2 pr a day----but after 400 mile days my ears have had enough....lack of comfort.

I find proper helmet fit important---I have even bought real expensive Schburt and find $40 GMAX 3/4 just fine.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Both of Gigi's windscreens add substantial noise. However, the smaller, quieter one deflects bugs and road debris, so I put up with it. Sometimes I ride standing to get into "clear" air and give my ears a break.

11/29/21 Edit: I've since swapped back to the tall screen, which hadn't been used since I bought Gigi, and discovered that it is much quieter if I hunker down a few inches.
⚠️ Last edited by Guzzi Gal on UTC; edited 1 time
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
As a "professional listener" (psychotherapist) and classical music lover, good hearing is essential to me. Not to mention all the personal reasons for wanting to hear.

So hearing protection is also essential for me.

I wear foam earplugs at night because someone I have been sleeping next to for 50 years (no name will be mentioned in case somehow they read this) snores.

When I ride, I wear some short-stemmed "Christmas-tree" earplugs. What they do is lower the sound level by about 25 dB (rated). I can still hear what's going on around me, but my hearing is protected and I do believe that it makes riding less fatiguing.

I wear a good full-face helmet and have a fairly high windscreen on my MP3. They help, but they're not enough, at least for me.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I ask the wife to sit a bit further back.
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2016 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
I've tried a dozen or more earplugs over the years including custom molded ones. For me, nothing works as well as Hearos foam plugs. They block the wind noise frequencies but not lower frequencies like my engine, car horns, and other "good" noises.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
If I know I will be riding at highway speeds, I put in ear-plugs (foam or silicone). My wife and I use helmet communicators, and I haven't noticed any issue with the ear-plugs reducing the voice coming through those.

When I first got my 2009 GTS, it had a Givi mid-height windshield on it - the wind roar in my helmet was nasty. I put a Laminar Lip on top of that windshield and it made a significant difference. Switching from a 3/4 helmet to a Nolan N70-2gt (removable chin guard, but I ride with it on all the time) also reduced the wind noise. A Bilt modular helmet I have is louder than the Nolan.

I tried Apple Airpods (not the noise reduction Pro) a couple times, but they always fell out when removing my helmet. I'm considering the Airpod Pro. As an old former rock-n-roller, I have tried to take care of my hearing.

Decades of riding motorcycles, with and without helmets. But by the early 80s, I have always ridden with a windshield and/or full fairing. It was interesting when I test rode the GTS I have now and a 2020 BV 350 with the standard short windshield: the GTS without a windshield was noticeably quieter and less buffeting. Putting the windshield and Laminar Lip from my 2009 on the 2020 again made it quieter and less buffeting. I have the windshield/Lip height where I can still see over it, directing the wind towards the top of my helmet. If I crouch just a bit, I can make it even quieter.

All that to say: every change has an effect... I working towards the quietest ride.

Any others tried the Airpod Pro, like Miguel? Similar results?
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
I've had all sorts of different ear plugs. Foam, custom, "eargasms" but lately I've been favoring "ear loops". Small and comfortable; yet very effective.
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125: 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Big Ugly), 2023 Vespa GTS300 (Ghost)
UTC quote
All of my scooters have windshields (Faco mid narrow on the Vespas, big Puig on the Xmax) and I wear a 3/4 Scorpion helmet.

The best way I have found to reduce noise is earplugs.

Up until recently, I used the stacked mushroom style plugs from 3M.

But a few months ago I had no earplugs in the scooter starting a ride with a friend.

He offered a pair of the plugs shown below (3M Push Ins)

These are more comfortable and better at quieting the ride than any I have used before.

I bought a box of 100 and have passed them out to friends to try.

Almost everyone has agreed and bought a box for themselves.

Bill
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
znomit wrote:

In the summer I use a cooling buff. For some reason I have tend to get a sore throat if I don't cover it while riding at speed,. I know I'm weird but I also like the noise reduction and it keeps my helmet strap from chafing.
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
A pair of 3M yellow foam ear plugs have been working great for me for 8 years. I buy them by the box - amazon or ebay. I wear a full-face modular helmet - which is always in the closed position while riding.
Cuts noise hugely - and I can still hear overtaking cars.

I never ride behind a screen.
O.S.
OS, If I stand up can get in the airstream with out the windscreen protection, the noise in my helmet is quite loud. Sometime, you should ride behind a windscreen to see what you think. Most people find them too warm in the summer. But life is full of tradeoffs.

Miguel
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I rode for years without a helmets and did damage to my hearing (young and dumb). Now I ride with a helmet and I wear disposable foam ear plugs. I buy them by boxes of 500 and throw them away every couple days. I never realized how much riding fatigue was caused by the wind noise until I started using ear plugs. I feel a lot more "fresh" after a 500+ mile day without all the noise.

-Craig
You reminded me of a good point. There are many different disposable plugs available made of different materials, shapes and expansion. I tried the disposable from Home Depot. They were awful. Seemed like it made the noise louder. So its worth shopping around to find the disposables that work best for you. Miguel
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
You reminded me of a good point. There are many different disposable plugs available made of different materials, shapes and expansion. I tried the disposable from Home Depot. They were awful. Seemed like it made the noise louder. So its worth shopping around to find the disposables that work best for you. Miguel
One problem with earplugs is that they can be ineffective, even make the sound worse, when not properly seated.

I have had to stop many times when mine slipped or were inserted incorrectly.

The Push-Ins shown above make it much simpler to place in the ear canal, and they stay there throughout the ride.

Bill
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'99 PX200 & GTS300 HPE SuperSport

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
Up until recently, I used the stacked mushroom style plugs from 3M.

But a few months ago I had no earplugs in the scooter starting a ride with a friend.

These are more comfortable and better at quieting the ride than any I have used before.

I bought some on the strength of your recommendation and I fully agree. I thought I was happy with my 3 cup silicone plugs that I'd used for years, but these are another level. Just wanted to thank you for recommending them.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
One problem with earplugs is that they can be ineffective, even make the sound worse, when not properly seated.

I have had to stop many times when mine slipped or were inserted incorrectly.

The Push-Ins shown above make it much simpler to place in the ear canal, and they stay there throughout the ride.

Bill
I'm always on the hunt for something better. I ordered a box to see how they work out for me. I'll leave feedback in this thread hen I get them. Thanks Bill. Miguel
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:

I bought a box of 100 and have passed them out to friends to try.

Almost everyone has agreed and bought a box for themselves.

Bill
I bought a box of 50 pair of the 3M Pushins to try out. They are indeed a quiet but I found my Apple AirPods Pros much more comfortable. I could tell the 3M were going to irritate my ear canals right after I put them in so I didn't bother to take 'em out for a ride. Everyone has different shaped and size ear canals. The 3M Pushins just didn't work out for me. Thanks for the recommendation anyway Bill.

Cheers. Miguel
⚠️ Last edited by Miguel on UTC; edited 1 time
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I picked up a pair of Airpod Pros - thanks for the tip Miguel! I've only tried them once under my new helmet, a Schuberth C3 Pro (which is pretty quiet on its own), and it was amazingly quiet. I only use them when riding solo; when riding with my wife, we use helmet communicators.
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I picked up a pair of Airpod Pros - thanks for the tip Miguel! I've only tried them once under my new helmet, a Schuberth C3 Pro (which is pretty quiet on its own), and it was amazingly quiet. I only use them when riding solo; when riding with my wife, we use helmet communicators.
The are quite remarkable. I find above 60 mph there's a low frequency rumble that comes thru. I'm guessing it because it so loud that the AirPods Pros can generate a cancelling signal at the required intensity. I hope that Apple comes out with yet a stronger cancellation capability in the future. Glad they worked out for you Captain!
Miguel
@wleuthold avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@wleuthold avatar
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
I bought a box of 50 pair of the 3M Pushins to try out. They are indeed a quiet but I found my Apple AirPods Pros much more comfortable. I could tell the 3M were going to irritate my ear canals right after I put them in so I didn't bother to take 'em out for a ride. Everyone has different shaped and size ear canals. The 3M Pushins just didn't work out for me. Thanks for the recommendation anyway Bill.

Cheers. Miguel
I am sorry that they didn't work for you, Miguel.

My brother found them to be too big for his ear canal, so they didn't work for him either.

But everyone else has liked them so far.

Bill
@halijaro avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@halijaro avatar
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
I am sorry that they didn't work for you, Miguel.

My brother found them to be too big for his ear canal, so they didn't work for him either.

But everyone else has liked them so far.

Bill
It's fair to say they would suit people with larger ear canals better. I've recently had chemotherapy and one of the more bizarre side effects since has been that I've had to increase the sizes of the tips on my earphones on both sets, wired and wireless, that I use. The ones I've used for years that have always fitted perfectly, kept falling out and I could no longer get a seal. I've had to use the largest available ever since. It's well documented that there's often lots of side effects with chemo, but they never told me about that one.
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Halijaro wrote:
It's fair to say they would suit people with larger ear canals better. I've recently had chemotherapy and one of the more bizarre side effects since has been that I've had to increase the sizes of the tips on my earphones on both sets, wired and wireless, that I use. The ones I've used for years that have always fitted perfectly, kept falling out and I could no longer get a seal. I've had to use the largest available ever since. It's well documented that there's often lots of side effects with chemo, but they never told me about that one.
Thanks for the input. I'd never heard of that side effect of chemo. I hope it was successful.
Miguel
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I took my wife's bike (Yamaha Xmax) for a 150 mile outing yesterday, using the Airpod Pro earbuds under my helmet. About half highway/Interstate and twisty roads, the Airpod Pros were comfortable for the 4 hours, and impressively quiet.

I was wearing my Schuberth C3 Pro which is generally touted as a quiet helmet, and I agree. But, it was hot (got up to 97º in town, cooler at the higher elevations)... with the chin vent open on the C3 Pro, it lets plenty of noise in. The Airpod Pros do a decent job of noise canceling; certainly not as good as a set of Bose over the ears headphones, but pretty impressive for earbuds.

I mention my wife's bike because she has her windshield set for her, and I have a longer torso, putting my helmet in the airflow over her windshield. Some kind of noise reduction is necessary for me on that bike. I have been using the foam or silicon earplugs, but this set up was significantly better for the noise reduction and comfort.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2021/09/a-hot-time.html
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@publicsp avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 150

@publicsp avatar
Vespa GTS 150
UTC quote
I am desperate to find a helmet noise solution. Surprisingly "with a windscreen", not "without a windscreen".
i.e. My 2021 Vespa GTS is wonderful to ride without a windscreen, no helmet noise (Shoei Neotec II), but lots of chest-pressure.

I purchased the FACO Twin Screen to reduce the chest-pressure and make long distance riding more enjoyable .. Great idea, but suddenly lots of helmet wind noise. Only way to avoid is to raise the second screen to above eye level and look through the plastic. Not ideal.

After much research and reading Vespa Forums, I purchased the official Piaggio Vespa Flyscreen. Same result! Loads of helmet noise. Rode consistent high speed for two hours recently and experienced loud ringing in my ears for hours afterwards (I have never experienced that "without a windscreen").

I wear custom made silicone earplugs, they still can't keep the noise to a bearable level. Have tried 3m disposable earplugs, still couldn't reduce the noise level (haven't tried the 3M push-in ones recommended in this discussion yet). Have tried to get the AirPod Pros inside my helmet, maybe I need to try harder (I see people have successfully done it).

Summary:
I want to use a windscreen. I have purchased 2 x brand new windscreens in the last few weeks $$$. So far, I am unable to use any Vespa windscreens.

Ideas/suggestions made to me (not yet tried):
1. Bend/change the angle of the windscreen (experiment). Not super-easy to bend the strong windscreen bars, but I am considering giving it a go.
2. Insert sponge pads into the helmet ear recesses to push the helmet hard against my ears.
3. Remove the Vespa mirrors in case they are creating a wind-vortex channeling from the windscreen.
4. Use noise cancelling earplugs. I will have another attempt at this soon.
5. Attach a laminar tip to the windscreen.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

This is an excellent and useful discussion. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
I've had tinnitus since preschool, and protecting my hearing is paramount. I haven't found a quiet windscreen that is below eye level. I have two, the original tall Vespa screen that the OP had cut down and a slightly taller than average flyscreen. It's the same on my husband's with the Vespa flyscreen too. They are all loud! The quietest is the cut-down tall Vespa screen, and it's perfect if I hunker down about 2 or 3 inches. I'm considering a laminar lip if I can find one that isn't ugly and doesn't damage the existing screen.
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I've had tinnitus since preschool, and protecting my hearing is paramount. I haven't found a quiet windscreen that is below eye level. I have two, the original tall Vespa screen that the OP had cut down and a slightly taller than average flyscreen. It's the same on my husband's with the Vespa flyscreen too. They are all loud! The quietest is the cut-down tall Vespa screen, and it's perfect if I hunker down about 2 or 3 inches. I'm considering a laminar lip if I can find one that isn't ugly and doesn't damage the existing screen.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA3BBBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
@centersmith avatar
UTC

Vespa 300Gtsie

@centersmith avatar
Vespa 300Gtsie
UTC quote
Foam earplugs for me anytime I'm planning much 50-plus mph riding. However the earplugs masked an exhaust leak that I inadvertently caused the last time I removed the muffler. Always good to ride without hearing protection periodically to make sure the bike sounds fit.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
A buff/ neck gator help a lot.
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Publicsp wrote:
I am desperate to find a helmet noise solution. Surprisingly "with a windscreen", not "without a windscreen".
i.e. My 2021 Vespa GTS is wonderful to ride without a windscreen, no helmet noise (Shoei Neotec II), but lots of chest-pressure.

I purchased the FACO Twin Screen to reduce the chest-pressure and make long distance riding more enjoyable .. Great idea, but suddenly lots of helmet wind noise. Only way to avoid is to raise the second screen to above eye level and look through the plastic. Not ideal.

After much research and reading Vespa Forums, I purchased the official Piaggio Vespa Flyscreen. Same result! Loads of helmet noise. Rode consistent high speed for two hours recently and experienced loud ringing in my ears for hours afterwards (I have never experienced that "without a windscreen").

I wear custom made silicone earplugs, they still can't keep the noise to a bearable level. Have tried 3m disposable earplugs, still couldn't reduce the noise level (haven't tried the 3M push-in ones recommended in this discussion yet). Have tried to get the AirPod Pros inside my helmet, maybe I need to try harder (I see people have successfully done it).

Summary:
I want to use a windscreen. I have purchased 2 x brand new windscreens in the last few weeks $$$. So far, I am unable to use any Vespa windscreens.

Ideas/suggestions made to me (not yet tried):
1. Bend/change the angle of the windscreen (experiment). Not super-easy to bend the strong windscreen bars, but I am considering giving it a go.
2. Insert sponge pads into the helmet ear recesses to push the helmet hard against my ears.
3. Remove the Vespa mirrors in case they are creating a wind-vortex channeling from the windscreen.
4. Use noise cancelling earplugs. I will have another attempt at this soon.
5. Attach a laminar tip to the windscreen.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

This is an excellent and useful discussion. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
Publicsp. See my post above. Here's a direct link to it.

Miguel
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I also wear custom earplugs and a scarf around my neck to mitigate noise, but there's still work to do. Even after riding for two years, I still haven't found the secret to blocking neck noise.

I will admit that I often ride with the visor open. My long-term preservation concerns are in conflict with my hedonistic urges to have the a stellar view and feel the air on my skin.

Schuberth has a 22.06 helmet coming out next month that's supposed to be really quiet. I'm curious to see the reviews.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0205s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0129s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]