UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
WLeuthold wrote:
One problem with earplugs is that they can be ineffective, even make the sound worse, when not properly seated.

I have had to stop many times when mine slipped or were inserted incorrectly.

The Push-Ins shown above make it much simpler to place in the ear canal, and they stay there throughout the ride

Bill
I pull the upper part of my ear lobe. It seems to straightened my ear cannal.
@publicsp avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 150

@publicsp avatar
Vespa GTS 150
UTC quote
Thank you to everyone who has answered my call for help.

After researching possible solutions and reading you comments, I am amazed that no has designed a workable solution for the Vespa. I realise there are "too many variables" to create a "one solution fits all", but there doesn't even appear to be sensible/proven suggestions from the manufacturers of add on products.

To keep this conversation alive (and hopefully help someone), here are some interesting ideas/solutions I have found.

1. This person found that by strapping a bag to the front of their motorbike it finally fixed the problem (you have to watch Part 1 of this series to hear the full story) ..
2. This company provides a "windscreen vent" to equalise the pressure in-front and behind the windscreen. I like this idea, it makes sense (I am considering cutting holes in my Vespa windscreen) .. https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Accessories/Air-Balance-Windshield-Vent-Kit.aspx
3. This person discusses various solutions that have worked for him (non Vespa) ..
4. Lots of people also talk about moving your windscreen forward or back (change the angle) to divert the airstream .. I am also going to try this (Not sure how to "bend" the Vespa windscreen bars, they are quite strong).

Hope this helps you.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
Publicsp wrote:
2. This company provides a "windscreen vent" to equalise the pressure in-front and behind the windscreen. I like this idea, it makes sense (I am considering cutting holes in my Vespa windscreen) .. https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Accessories/Air-Balance-Windshield-Vent-Kit.aspx
I did this with a (cut-down 1.5") Fabbri tall windscreen on my MP3 400. I drilled twelve 3/8" holes in the bottom of the screen. It worked perfectly.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
I did this with a (cut-down 1.5") Fabbri tall windscreen on my MP3 400. I drilled twelve 3/8" holes in the bottom of the screen. It worked perfectly.
Do you have a photo of that?
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
mpfrank wrote:
... I drilled twelve 3/8" holes in the bottom of the screen. It worked perfectly.
You may find that having holes of the same size will create a whistle a certain speed.
Having holes of different sizes will mitigate against this.
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Fudmucker wrote:
You may find that having holes of the same size will create a whistle a certain speed.

Then that could act as a kangaroo deterrent.
@publicsp avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 150

@publicsp avatar
Vespa GTS 150
UTC quote
Here is a slightly different idea to create air flow over the inside of the windscreen (without drilling holes) ..
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I use NoNoise Motorsport Earplugs https://nonoise-earplugs.us/products/motorsport-hearing-protection when riding above city speeds and I like them much.

As others have said: definitely less fatigue on longer rides with earplugs in. Initially there was a slight discomfort after hours of wear, but I guess my ears have gotten used to the plugs, as they feel more comfortable now.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Another update. I have been enjoying the Airpod Pro earbuds under the helmet, but I came across these on a shooting site: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs. About $11 from Amazon, and they got good reviews. I put it in our cart and my wife ordered a kit for her, too. They arrived late yesterday, I mixed my set up and followed the directions...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2021/12/huh.html

I am impressed with how quiet and comfortable these are.

Here's the Amazon link...

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=sxts_rp_s_a1_0?crid=2N9ZF30ZK60P9&cv_ct_cx=radians+ear+plugs&keywords=radians+ear+plugs&pd_rd_i=B003A28OW6&pd_rd_r=43e8d97b-c19e-4fcd-a5be-ec2d5ba2be2b&pd_rd_w=CSI6U&pd_rd_wg=Ss2x5&pf_rd_p=417cc47b-0c09-4851-92d2-3088b503e056&pf_rd_r=81BSVSAJW3Z3AX4TMKKP&psc=1&qid=1640816881&sprefix=Radians%2Caps%2C157&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Another update. I have been enjoying the Airpod Pro earbuds under the helmet, but I came across these on a shooting site: Radians Custom Molded Earplugs. About $11 from Amazon, and they got good reviews. I put it in our cart and my wife ordered a kit for her, too. They arrived late yesterday, I mixed my set up and followed the directions...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2021/12/huh.html

I am impressed with how quiet and comfortable these are.

Here's the Amazon link...

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-Custom-Molded-Earplugs-Blue/dp/B003A28OW6/ref=sxts_rp_s_a1_0?crid=2N9ZF30ZK60P9&cv_ct_cx=radians+ear+plugs&keywords=radians+ear+plugs&pd_rd_i=B003A28OW6&pd_rd_r=43e8d97b-c19e-4fcd-a5be-ec2d5ba2be2b&pd_rd_w=CSI6U&pd_rd_wg=Ss2x5&pf_rd_p=417cc47b-0c09-4851-92d2-3088b503e056&pf_rd_r=81BSVSAJW3Z3AX4TMKKP&psc=1&qid=1640816881&sprefix=Radians%2Caps%2C157&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e
Thanks for the update Captain. I look forward to a comparison noise level ride report, especially at highway speeds. Thanks for the follow-thru!! Miguel
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Miguel wrote:
Thanks for the update Captain. I look forward to a comparison noise level ride report, especially at highway speeds. Thanks for the follow-thru!! Miguel
Hi Miguel. I got out on my wife's Xmax today for a more thorough check out of the molded earplugs (Radians). It's a good test on her bike because her windshield is low for me, putting me into the wind coming over that shield. No buffeting with the Shuberth C3 Pro, but generally there is plenty of wind noise. I have no way of quantifying it, but the Radians are quieter than the Airpod Pro earbuds (my perception). At $11, it's hard to beat. Comfortable, too. The Airpod Pros are a better solution if you want to listen to music. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Radians with the helmet communicators, yet, as the Blonde isn't keen on riding opportunites around here.

Still, a good run on the bike today; plus, I always have fun riding her bike.

Hope 2022 is good for you and all the scooter folks here.

Jim
OP
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Hi Miguel. I got out on my wife's Xmax today for a more thorough check out of the molded earplugs (Radians). It's a good test on her bike because her windshield is low for me, putting me into the wind coming over that shield. No buffeting with the Shuberth C3 Pro, but generally there is plenty of wind noise. I have no way of quantifying it, but the Radians are quieter than the Airpod Pro earbuds (my perception). At $11, it's hard to beat. Comfortable, too. The Airpod Pros are a better solution if you want to listen to music. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Radians with the helmet communicators, yet, as the Blonde isn't keen on riding opportunites around here.

Still, a good run on the bike today; plus, I always have fun riding her bike.

Hope 2022 is good for you and all the scooter folks here.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm going to give the Radian earplugs a shot. I don't ride listening to music so keeping a quieter cockpit is just what I'd like. My only problem with the AirPods is that they tend to wiggle out of my ears as I turn my head side-to-side which reduces the noise cancellation. I good seal is essential. I'll let you know what I think of the Radians.

Thanks for the follow up! Miguel
@axman88 avatar
UTC

Stella 4T, 2011

@axman88 avatar
Stella 4T, 2011
UTC quote
A study by a helmet manufacturer, showed that the majority of perceived wind noise comes from the open bottom end of the helmet, which is why some previous posters had luck reducing noise by closing that area up with scarves and so forth. I would guess that a custom cut, foam insert would do a better job yet, but I can't speak for comfort or head movement.

https://www.rideapart.com/reviews/428869/motorcycle-helmet-sound-protection/

I find that riding at highway speeds is substantially quieter when I'm wearing a half pot, than with a full visor helmet. Whoever designed the ear did a good job of it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0366s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0231s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]