UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Hey all,

So I've gotten everything together and started my '64 VBB (I still need to tune the engine). I'm running into a problem with the electrical. I've mounted the 12v regulator correctly to the frame so it's properly grounded, the switch is wired correctly as are the headlight, horn and tail light. When I start the engine, I get no lights (front or back), or horn. I do, however, get the brake light when I step on the footbrake.

I'm unsure how to properly use my multi meter to test if specific wires are getting power.

I know that the switch is getting power because i had the cover off and when I tried to touch the kill switch screw with a plier, I got zapped.

Any guidance is appreciated
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Hey all,

So I've gotten everything together and started my '64 VBB (I still need to tune the engine). I'm running into a problem with the electrical. I've mounted the 12v regulator correctly to the frame so it's properly grounded, the switch is wired correctly as are the headlight, horn and tail light. When I start the engine, I get no lights (front or back), or horn. I do, however, get the brake light when I step on the footbrake.

I'm unsure how to properly use my multi meter to test if specific wires are getting power.

I know that the switch is getting power because i had the cover off and when I tried to touch the kill switch screw with a plier, I got zapped.

Any guidance is appreciated
Which Stator?
Which wiring harness?

We are not telepathic.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Sorry. it's the Vape Electronic Ignition Kit Large Frame Vespa Static and the BGM Conversion Harness for 60's 70's LF
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Sorry. it's the Vape Electronic Ignition Kit Large Frame Vespa Static and the BGM Conversion Harness for 60's 70's LF
I can't speak for the BGM wiring harness, someone else that knows them will have to chime in. that being said, at least it's a conversion harness and relatively easy one too.

which switch do you have? can you take a picture of the back of it? would be easier to give you guidance if we know the wiring there.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Attached is the wiring diagram which I’ve followed exactly. My question is, how do I test the wiring at each bulb location to confirm it’s getting power?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Attached is the wiring diagram which I’ve followed exactly. My question is, how do I test the wiring at each bulb location to confirm it’s getting power?
Test #4 at switch. This is your AC in from the regulator. Your voltage tester should have a black and red. place black on and piece of steel on the bike (ground). The red would go onto terminal #4. you should have around 12V at idle; but will probably flicker or bounce around.

There are probably some great Youtube tutorials on the tool you have, much better that i can ever describe. but yes, test terminal #4.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Thanks. I'll try that at each one of the contacts at the switch.

I actually touched the kill switch screw while it was running and got zapped, so I'm fairly sure there is power going to the switch.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Check your ground for the lights. Got an actual wiring diagram for the loom? I’d be checking continuity of grounding points. Sounds like something common to the connections from that switch.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
If you’re not familiar with your multimeter, make sure the selector is pointed to the V with a wavy line over the top. NOT the straight line over the V (thats for DC).

The meter can and will bounce with AC voltage, hopefully you’ll be able to read the meter clear enough to make sense of things. Some meters do better with AC voltage. Others are all over the place.

For starters, did you buy the right switches for the conversion? You need a different handlebar switch and the DC brake switch that makes a connection when the pin is extended. It wont work without both of them.

Only other thing I’d pass on is to start at the regulator. Disconnect the harness and measure AC voltage at the regulator output. Then plug the harness back in and see if you can find the same/ little less voltage at the appropriate wires. Sometimes you may need to remove the wire from the switches to get an accurate reading.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
So the "city light" in the diagram is the running tail light. Funny
You've got new 12v bulbs, right?
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
So the "city light" in the diagram is the running tail light. Funny
You've got new 12v bulbs, right?
That will be the little pilot light in the headlamp. Sounds like all the lights from this switch aren’t working - just the brake light itself.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
For starters, did you buy the right switches for the conversion? You need a different handlebar switch and the DC brake switch that makes a connection when the pin is extended. It wont work without both of them.

OP needs to upload a photo of his switch and connections. i'm going to take a scientific wild ass guess (SWAG) that it is either the wrong switch or the switch is not wired correctly.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
All bulbs are 12v. Purchased along with the wiring loom. The loom package included a compatible switch.
I am going to check continuity at each bulb connection with the multimeter. Next post I will include a shot of the back of the switch connections.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
So attached are shots of switch wiring, headlight wiring and tail light.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
The ground for the headlight bulb looks incorrect. Move it to the terminal that touches both the headlight/pilot bulb.7 o’clock position I think.

Tail and switch look ok.
⚠️ Last edited by MJRally on UTC; edited 1 time
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Switch and tail light look correct. Ground is wrong on the headlight. See photo…
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
THAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH THE HEADLIGHT!!!!!!!!
WOO-hoo!!
Tail light not working. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
Is the pilot bulb lighting up?

If no, try moving the lever on the left side of the handlebar switch. Try different positions and look at the tail.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
The brake bulb works when the pedal is pressed. I'll monkey with it and see.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Check your ground for the lights.
I'm just gonna leave this here…
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Hey again,

So I just tested the scooter to try the switch for the tail light.

As before, the brake pedal initiates the brake light in the 'acorn', but the street light is still not functioning, nor is the speedo light. I just rewired the speedo light with a correct connection wire I just purchased, but it still is inoperative.

All switches did nothing to light the tail bulb. Any suggestions? There has to be something wrong to keep these two bulbs from lighting up.

If for some reason, one of the bulbs was a dud, would that affect another?

Thanks
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Stollerscoot wrote:
Hey again,

So I just tested the scooter to try the switch for the tail light.

As before, the brake pedal initiates the brake light in the 'acorn', but the street light is still not functioning, nor is the speedo light. I just rewired the speedo light with a correct connection wire I just purchased, but it still is inoperative.

All switches did nothing to light the tail bulb. Any suggestions? There has to be something wrong to keep these two bulbs from lighting up.

If for some reason, one of the bulbs was a dud, would that affect another?

Thanks
as I understand it, yes all bulbs have to be kosher for them to work. one bad one makes none of them work. So long as you're running an AC set up that is.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
Have you checked if you get 12V AC at the yellow wire on the tail light?? Or continuity of the yellow wire from front to back??
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
I used a multi meter and got 12v at every connection in the switch the tail light and speedo. My headlight ground was initially incorrect, but when I switched it it worked.

The yellow at the tail goes to the bulb and the ground doesn't
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
If you get 12V at the yellow on the tail light and brake works, then the ground is also OK. Maybe the bulb is not good or the bulb holder is faulty. For the speedo to light up, you need to have it "grounded" to the handlebar…
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Thanks All,

MJ and I were texting and turns out I was sent a 6v for the tail instead of a 12 so it blew. Speedo is blown as well, but it's a 12v. Ordered new bulbs and hopefully I will be able to send an update to the positive in a few weeks.

As always, thanks gang
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
So use your multimeter and check for voltage where the blown bulbs go
UTC

Motovespa 150s lambretta li150

UTC quote
Hey Guys

Isn't the brake light fed from a separate supply from the regulator? Its to stop all the load on one circuit and to prevent the lights dimming so much when you press the brake ?. I have personally pushed the spade connectors on from the other side of the scooter and thought they where on only to find no lights,. If you have the ones with the clear rubber covers it's even easier to do. You will see the red wire at the regulator look there.

Take care and good luck
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
UTC quote
He has a 12V conversion loom. Same line for everything. It's basically a "copy" of a blinkerless P series 12V loom with no main switch…
UTC

UTC quote
Ah ok happy to be wrong just a thought.

Hope you get it fixed
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Appreciate all the dialogue gang!

12v loom goes into the regulator with blue and red wires. The voltage at every connection point was correctly reading 12v +/-

I was the dumb-ass that didn't check the bulbs right away.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
easy oversight, that, you expect them to work when they're new
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Are you sure the bulbs are blown? Should be able to see the fried filament (or check continuity).

Check your grounds/connections again. Also, the brake light itself is the larger lense/bulb at the bottom. The acorn is the running light that should come on with the headlamp.

All good having power getting to the accessories - but if they aren't grounded correctly then nothing will happen. Could be a similar issue with your tail light.
OP
@stollerscoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
1964 VBB

Hooked
@stollerscoot avatar
1964 VBB
UTC quote
Tail bulb blown is the festoon which is the lower of the two. Acorn holds the traditional shaped bulb.
Tail festoon. Should be 12v, but was 6v
Tail festoon. Should be 12v, but was 6v
Speedo bulb: 12v/3W
Speedo bulb: 12v/3W
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
pheasant plucker wrote:
Are you sure the bulbs are blown? Should be able to see the fried filament (or check continuity).

Check your grounds/connections again. Also, the brake light itself is the larger lense/bulb at the bottom. The acorn is the running light that should come on with the headlamp.

All good having power getting to the accessories - but if they aren't grounded correctly then nothing will happen. Could be a similar issue with your tail light.
I think you have that backwards, the brake light is the top one and the tail light is the bottom. Reason being the bottom has the clear lens on the under side to light up the license plate which goes beneath.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0199s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0112s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]