OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
 
Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
UTC quote
I have a new 2020 Primavera 150 which I ride in NYC every day. The ride is great on smooth roads and absolutely terrible on bumps unless they are smaller than 1 inch. I am 250 lbs and sometimes have second person who is 140 lbs.

I barely feel these bumps on most motorcycles. I also don't feel the bumps on other scooters like the Niu electric one.

My dealer says they can adjust it but says "this is what a Vespa feels like." Should I install Bitubo or some other shocks front and back?

Thanks,
John
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
 
Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
UTC quote
jcolton wrote:
I have a new 2020 Primavera 150 which I ride in NYC every day. The ride is great on smooth roads
John
Where do ya get smooth roads for more than a furlong at a time .
As for shocks, you could start with adjusting the OEM shocks and replacing the bushings with PU bushings, claussstudios may have it for your model.
Tire pressure should be more in line with if you rode with a pillion rider.
I think you have several aftermarket shocks to choose from.
@fergy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
Joined: UTC
Posts: 186
Location: Selbyville, DE
 
Hooked
@fergy avatar
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
Joined: UTC
Posts: 186
Location: Selbyville, DE
UTC quote
With that amount of rider and passenger weight you should adjust the preload on the rear shock to position 3 or 4 (maximum) and up your rear tire pressure. The procedure is in the manual and the tool should have come with the scooter.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
UTC quote
you can run lower tire pressures in your tires. I have seven different bikes. I ride very aggressively and wear out tires quicker than most. I remove center stands on all my bikes as they are dangerous when they drag the ground. very dangerous if it snags a pothole. I also hate a rough riding scooter. I run about 20-22psi in most of my bikes. I run even lower pressures in my mp3. I run around 18psi in fronts on that bike. and the bike still drives safe at 14psi. but that is a three wheeler. the highest pressures I run are on my silverwing at 24psi. its my fastest bike and it comes with some pretty cush shocks from factory. my vespa 300 rides on 20 front 18psi rear. has so for the ten years I have owned it.

now this will be a controversial post. I am sure of that.. most people run 30psi and above and brag about it. they will be posting next. is there a handling loss at lower pressures ? sure. but does it it make the bike unsafe? not to me. I find emergency hard braking improved due to greater contact patch grabbing the road . give it a try before you knock it. it works tremendous at turning a rough riding scooter into a smoothie. all the haters can say what they want. it wont be changing my riding habits one iota.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
 
Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
UTC quote
Thanks. I adjusted the rear preload and it's much better.
fergy wrote:
With that amount of rider and passenger weight you should adjust the preload on the rear shock to position 3 or 4 (maximum) and up your rear tire pressure. The procedure is in the manual and the tool should have come with the scooter.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
 
Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
UTC quote
Do you suggest polyurethane bushings for the front and the rear?
baba12 wrote:
Where do ya get smooth roads for more than a furlong at a time .
As for shocks, you could start with adjusting the OEM shocks and replacing the bushings with PU bushings, claussstudios may have it for your model.
Tire pressure should be more in line with if you rode with a pillion rider.
I think you have several aftermarket shocks to choose from.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
 
Lurker
Primavera 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 4
Location: Brooklyn
UTC quote
I'm going to adjust the shocks and maybe try PU bushings and will try experimenting with tire pressure after that. Thanks for the info.
jerryd wrote:
you can run lower tire pressures in your tires. I have seven different bikes. I ride very aggressively and wear out tires quicker than most. I remove center stands on all my bikes as they are dangerous when they drag the ground. very dangerous if it snags a pothole. I also hate a rough riding scooter. I run about 20-22psi in most of my bikes. I run even lower pressures in my mp3. I run around 18psi in fronts on that bike. and the bike still drives safe at 14psi. but that is a three wheeler. the highest pressures I run are on my silverwing at 24psi. its my fastest bike and it comes with some pretty cush shocks from factory. my vespa 300 rides on 20 front 18psi rear. has so for the ten years I have owned it.

now this will be a controversial post. I am sure of that.. most people run 30psi and above and brag about it. they will be posting next. is there a handling loss at lower pressures ? sure. but does it it make the bike unsafe? not to me. I find emergency hard braking improved due to greater contact patch grabbing the road . give it a try before you knock it. it works tremendous at turning a rough riding scooter into a smoothie. all the haters can say what they want. it wont be changing my riding habits one iota.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
UTC quote
my experience is pu bushings absorb less than rubber. it rides stiffer.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
 
Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
UTC quote
jcolton wrote:
Do you suggest polyurethane bushings for the front and the rear?
I don't know if they make PU bushings for the front, if they do sure, change it. I believe there are DIY videos to make your own PU bushings too, though I believe a lot of them don't reveal all the truths involved in making them.
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
 
Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1355
Location: NYC
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
my experience is pu bushings absorb less than rubber. it rides stiffer.
Stiffer yes but ride is more controlled. Rubber bushings when they are working do the job.
In this scenario, give the load, besides adjustment to shocks and tire pressure only other thing that can be changed or tuned are the bushings and PU bushings are cheap alternative to test and see if it helps.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
UTC quote
I agree you get more control. but that is not the complaint. we are trying to make bike ride smoother, not stiffer.


lower air pressure is a quick no cost option. yet the forum convinced him to give pu a try which costs both time and money. go figure.

my rear air shock on my mp3 came equipped with no rubber bushing, no pu bushing, but heim joint. IE metal bushing. I was not satisfied with initial ride quality. I removed metal bushing and installed rubber bushing. I was very happy how much smoother ride became.

note: shocks on his bike will loosen up with use. it takes around 1500 miles. bike will be smoother then.
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
 
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Joined: UTC
Posts: 974
Location: tampa
UTC quote
tires are shock absorbers. the amount of air in them determines how much shock is absorbed. if they were meant top be stiff they wouldnt have air in them. there are vehicles with solid tires. they ride stiff compared to pneumatic tires. if all you do is ride hwy then sure pump tires up to 35psi. you will get a little better gas mileage. hwy is generally very well maintained. no bumps to worry about. so no huge comfort penalty. my immediate area is filled with speed bumps and speed tables. and plenty of rough roads due to the roads built on sandy florida that fall apart quickly. I pay all sorts of attention to smooth my bikes out . i dont wanna to go over speed tables at 15mph. I dont want to have to slow down at all. lower air pressure is huge part of the setup. I cant stand to ride a bike with 26psi or higher. terrible ride quality with such a simple fix. cant believe I have to try this hard to get someone to rethink acceptable tire air pressure.

I have a friend who constantly complained about the ride quality of his scarabeo 500 to my mp3. " I want my bike to ride like your mp3" he was riding around the city at 32psi. then one day I lowered his air pressure to 25psi. I will let you guess the rest.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0040s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]