@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
So had some time to think this over. Next steps.

1. Get new piston and rings. The one on there was close to getting holed. ( the dent)
2. Get a new SIP fast flow fuel tap, i drained the tank and noticed I don't always have a steady flow. It trickles and then surges.
3. Lap bottom of carb, bottom of carb box, and cylinder head. Put all back together.
4. Leak test.
5. test the stator somehow. Any pointers on this would be appreciated but I am wondering if something is wrong as there was smoke coming from behind the flywheel.
6. After stator test see if new stator is possibly needed, if not put in and set timing.

I think that should cover most of it.
OP
@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
108 wrote:
+1 on the air leak somewhere…

Jetting doesn't seem lean, I'd triple check the ignition to rule it out if other things happen, (even after each engine rebuild) but doubt it's the cause this time.

With a score like that on the piston, I'd look at the auto lube and check it's working. You still have it installed?
Yeah I am leaning towards ignition as the plug was brown but it was about to hole the piston. However will still do a leak test as I wanted to cross that off.
Autolube is working, i did the bubble in the line and it got pulled in.
I wonder if it might be a fuel issue, I wonder if the fuel is flowing well enough. When I drained the tank the other night, it flowed well then trickled. For all I know the original fuel tap is still in the bike.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@mike_mccarthy avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS300,P125 with 177 Pinasco kit. Vespa150s twist-n-go with a 190 Mallosi kit. 65 Allstate with P200 motor. Pile of crap Vietbodge

@mike_mccarthy avatar
Vespa GTS300,P125 with 177 Pinasco kit. Vespa150s twist-n-go with a 190 Mallosi kit. 65 Allstate with P200 motor. Pile of crap Vietbodge
UTC quote
Oil?
Might be you're not getting any or enough.
I just rebuilt a 1981 P200 that had been setting a while and the oil injector was crap. I've been premixing the gas it until I feel like rebuilding the oil injector.
OP
@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
Update to any who are interested. Firstly thanks to MJrally for helping.

I have rebuilt the top end. New piston, honed the cylinder, lapped the head, lapped the carb base, lapped the bottom of the carb.
Checked the stator, my green wire (charging wire) is a out of spec but it still runs.
Fix the timing, was a bit advanced but not by much.
Changed flywheel side seal after doing a spray down of soapy water to see if there were any air leaks noticed it bubbled. Check for leaks once running spraying with carb cleaner and start fluid after I ran out of carb cleaner.
Bought a CHT sensor
Everything starts runs great.

Except now I have no head light. Thought it blew the bulb so replaced with a new one I had bought awhile ago. Still no light. Got out multimeter, I have yellow 2 wire system. I have voltage coming from the purple (ac) headlight wire, but when I check the purple wire at the front junction box, no voltage at all. I am guessing there is something shorted somewhere. Anyone else have this issue?
OP
@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
Mike McCarthy wrote:
Oil?
Might be you're not getting any or enough.
I just rebuilt a 1981 P200 that had been setting a while and the oil injector was crap. I've been premixing the gas it until I feel like rebuilding the oil injector.
I wondered this as well. However the injector seems to be working, I did the tiny bubble in the line. It moved and got sucked down so I think oil injection is working.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0875s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0786s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]