OP
UTC

Vespa

Vespa
UTC quote
Hi all,

It's been some time since I had an old school Vespa, I just picked this up. It was on a display in a restaurant for years. They think it's a 67', I am having issues decoding it. Everything on it is super clean, no rust or rot, or bondo traps. It might be an Indonesian Vespa, I don't know much about that other than they exist and sometimes suck at renovations.

I found a lot of information on VBC Vespas without the "T" in the Vin, but still unclear on exactly how to see what it is

Two questions:

1) Help decoding!
Body: VBC1 (star) 318362
Engine: 319234 (star)

2) This key doesn't stay in position, it turns counterclockwise (toward the driver) and springs back, this is keyed for ignition or steering wheel lock? What do I do with this key switch to get it started?

Any help would be amazing. Thanks all.

[/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
scooterduder wrote:
Hi all,

It's been some time since I had an old school Vespa, I just picked this up. It was on a display in a restaurant for years. They think it's a 67', I am having issues decoding it. Everything on it is super clean, no rust or rot, or bondo traps. It might be an Indonesian Vespa, I don't know much about that other than they exist and sometimes suck at renovations.

I found a lot of information on VBC Vespas without the "T" in the Vin, but still unclear on exactly how to see what it is

Two questions:

1) Help decoding!
Body: VBC1 (star) 318362
Engine: 319234 (star)

2) This key doesn't stay in position, it turns counterclockwise (toward the driver) and springs back, this is keyed for ignition or steering wheel lock? What do I do with this key switch to get it started?

Any help would be amazing. Thanks all.

[/img]
i see the column lock, but is there an ignition lock i'm not seeing? The column lock only serves one purpose, it prohibits the steering column from moving. There are no electrical connections that go to it.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
What Mr. Gick said, you just kick that lever on the engine side down to start it and there's a button on the side of the right hand switch to shut the engine off.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
As you have discovered - the missing "T" seems to be common to Dan Motors Vespas (Indonesian). No one seems to know if all DM Vespas are missing the "T" or if there are other manufacturers who also didn't place a "T". The trap headset is also very DM.

Know that DM produced very good quality machines, and at times had options (like extra porting) that were ahead of their time. Problem is the Vespas they made tended to be used for their intended purpose daily since they were made - literally ridden into the ground. There are exceptions - but they are few and far between (like winning lotto chances).

Your frame returns as a 1975 150 Super on scooterhelp. I note the lack of frame detail on the tunnel next to the floor - should be able to see the seams on the tunnel near the leg shield and back of the tunnel mat. It strongly suggests a liberal amount of bondo.

As for the key - ain't no room to fit an electric ignition behind there (that I know of). Addition of keyed ignition generally ends up near the fuel tap. If the steering lock isn't engaging then it's better than if it was stuck on - think you would need to drop the fork and pull the lock to figure exactly what is going on.

Go over that bike with a fine toothed comb… I briefly had an Indo Sprint V that looked sweet from afar and to the untrained eye. Hiding plenty of disaster unfortunately. Live and learn (but gotta live…)

OMG! Look what I just scored - 1977 Sprint 150
OP
UTC

Vespa

Vespa
UTC quote
Thanks! I'll definitely go through it more. I got the same, a 1975 Super 150, by typing in the Vin without the "T". Is there anymore info for vins with these Dan motors Indo Vespas? Or is it most likely a 75?
pheasant plucker wrote:
As you have discovered - the missing "T" seems to be common to Dan Motors Vespas (Indonesian). No one seems to know if all DM Vespas are missing the "T" or if there are other manufacturers who also didn't place a "T". The trap headset is also very DM.

Know that DM produced very good quality machines, and at times had options (like extra porting) that were ahead of their time. Problem is the Vespas they made tended to be used for their intended purpose daily since they were made - literally ridden into the ground. There are exceptions - but they are few and far between (like winning lotto chances).

Your frame returns as a 1975 150 Super on scooterhelp. I note the lack of frame detail on the tunnel next to the floor - should be able to see the seams on the tunnel near the leg shield and back of the tunnel mat. It strongly suggests a liberal amount of bondo.

As for the key - ain't no room to fit an electric ignition behind there (that I know of). Addition of keyed ignition generally ends up near the fuel tap. If the steering lock isn't engaging then it's better than if it was stuck on - think you would need to drop the fork and pull the lock to figure exactly what is going on.

Go over that bike with a fine toothed comb… I briefly had an Indo Sprint V that looked sweet from afar and to the untrained eye. Hiding plenty of disaster unfortunately. Live and learn (but gotta live…)

OMG! Look what I just scored - 1977 Sprint 150
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Not that I've found. And nothing official either - just lots of reports of Indo frames missing the "T".

Fair bit on Dan Motors history out there. But nothing specific really.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
Don't even know if the missing "T" is from frames made by DM or those that came in as CKDs (complete knock downs). I think CKDs only made up a very small proportion of DM bikes, and only a few years (but don't quote me on that…) Brother E (Koenig Blues) and the Indo crew on here should know more.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0091s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]