OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
Just got my Vespa (1980 p200e) today and want to know if there is a possible way to match frame serial numbers with engine numbers to confirm they came from the factory together. Frame has been repainted, and was stated 1930 original miles. Did the magnet test and the body or frame appear solid, however the engine looks to have more miles than stated. I'm very happy with the purchase. May have to do a semi major rebuild. The engine is leaking like a sieve and the wiring and some rubber parts need a lot of attention. Any suggestions on what and where to look to get a better understanding on what the mileage may be. Just ballpark. It appears to have been sitting unprotected when I peer deeper into various places prior to being painted. Also when it was painted the sticker above the glovebox on the steering cover that shows build date and tire pressure etc. has been removed.
Peace
@hjo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Scattered remnants of (two!) 1974 Rallys

Molto Verboso
@hjo avatar
Scattered remnants of (two!) 1974 Rallys
UTC quote
Can you post photos?

You can check the serial numbers. The frame and engine numbers didn't match on Vespas, but it will give the rough date of manufacture.

If it's been repainted, hard to tell with the frame, but a bike with 2000 original miles, you can usually tell with detail shots.

https://www.scooterhelp.com/serial/ves.serial.numbers.html
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
The frame and motor numbers never matched on any vintage Vespa from the 60s- 05. Don't let Inspectors/law enforcement tell you otherwise. That's only for modern machines.

Sadly there's no way to determine miles from an engine. Best to do a minor rebuild and save yourself a lot of headaches down the line (new rings, seals, gaskets, o rings, shift cross). That should help with any leaks.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0024s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]