OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS super 300

Lurker
GTS super 300
UTC quote
Hello. I want to put heavier rollers and the only ones I found were Malossi 20x17 15gr. How do you think could affect the scooter? Thanks
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
It will slow you right down. Also, if you put in heavier weights, going up hills is going to be a ponderous experience. Are there hills in Costa Rica?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
As I understand it, lighter rollers equal faster acceleration from a standstill without any increase in top speed.
OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS super 300

Lurker
GTS super 300
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
It will slow you right down. Also, if you put in heavier weights, going up hills is going to be a ponderous experience. Are there hills in Costa Rica?
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
I use 12.5 gram rollers in my GTS300. Gives good performance without over-revving.
OP
UTC

Lurker
GTS super 300

Lurker
GTS super 300
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
I use 12.5 gram rollers in my GTS300. Gives good performance without over-revving.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
UTC quote
One really needs tachometer understand what is happening with a scooter rubber belt CVT.

Say the scooter revs to 5350 rpm during acceleration. Then we discover that at a steady speed of 40 mph the RPM is 5500, 45mph is 6400 rpm and 50 mph is 7200 RPM. This means at 5350 under acceleration the gear ratio is changing and the scooter's speed increases until the front or driven pulley has been squeezed together its maximum amount and the gear ratio is at its maximum. (top gear)

From 5350/5500 rpm upwards it is only increasing engine RPM which increases the scooter's speed, until either the engine either reaches maximum power or maximum RPM (rev limiter).

With a front pulley and weights of stock or standard dimensions the CVT itself can only influence the scooter's performance up to approx. 40 mph. Above 40 it is just engine power and the resulting RPM.

If we fit lighter weights the force required to change the ratios needs more RPM ( centrifugal force) so the scooter may rev to say 6400 during acceleration to generate the same force as before and the pulley halves are not squeezed together the maximum amount until approx 45mph. The maximum speed which the scooter reaches will be the same as before as a result of power or maximum RPM (rev limiter).

Fitting heavier weights will lower the RPM which is required to achieve maximum pulley squeezing at a lower speed. Meaning the scooter will be in top gear sooner and again relying only on engine power and RPM to influence top speed.

It is all a balancing act and no variator or weight manufacturers seem willing to share what RPM they aim for. Hence the need for a tach.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]