@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I was coming back from lunch yesterday and saw this beauty parked in the Mayor's spot. I did not know he was a rider. Now, if I ever get a chance to meet him we may have stuff in common to talk about.

Also, while I find the café racer style uncomfortable for any trip over an hour, I think they are beautiful to look at.

Note the vanity plate. Laughing emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Nice V7 Racer. The Mayor has good taste! Clap emoticon
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
This is what was there today.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
This is what was there today.
How much does the mayor make again?
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Wondered myself. Since I have access to all data and the ultimate truth I looked it up. Not enough. Though he was a practicing lawyer for many years so...
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Wondered myself. Since I have access to all data and the ultimate truth I looked it up. Not enough. Though he was a practicing lawyer for many years so...
Maybe the Mayor is a good 2nd hand shopper. Razz emoticon
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Clearly more than I do. And I was a practicing lawyer for well over 35 years. Apparently his practice was a tad more successful.
OP
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Knight Train wrote:
Clearly more than I do. And I was a practicing lawyer for well over 35 years. Apparently his practice was a tad more successful.
Here's a snippet of his bio.
Quote:
John's other professional accomplishments include serving as the Secretary of the Indiana Family and Social Services administration, the Commissioner of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, and advising Governor Frank O'Bannon. John also founded Washington, D.C.'s first certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), City First Bank, dedicated to strengthening low-to-moderate-income communities. In August 2020, City First announced plans to merge with Los Angeles-based Broadway Federal Bank to create the biggest Black-led bank in the U.S., managing a combined $1 billion in assets and about $850 million in deposits.

John is an honors graduate of Harvard University and Indiana University Maurer School of Law. He has been awarded two Sagamores of the Wabash from Indiana Governors and a Distinguished Service Award from the Maurer School, among other recognitions.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Uhm ...
Too complicated, I prefer a simpler life even if with a lot less money in the bank account.
Yes, I would have wanted many things but I have no regrets.
The most precious thing that I have lost and cannot be bought is my physical health, the rest, even if beautiful, has no practical value.
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Uhm ...
Too complicated, I prefer a simpler life even if with a lot less money in the bank account.
Yes, I would have wanted many things but I have no regrets.
The most precious thing that I have lost and cannot be bought is my physical health, the rest, even if beautiful, has no practical value.
A ton of truth here my friend. I think we take our good health for granted in the quest for material wealth or creating an identity. It took me over 25 years to recognize that practicing law was something I did to afford me the ability to do the things I actually enjoyed.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Oh just look at that Chrome.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Knight Train wrote:
A ton of truth here my friend. I think we take our good health for granted in the quest for material wealth or creating an identity. It took me over 25 years to recognize that practicing law was something I did to afford me the ability to do the things I actually enjoyed.
Since I started working (from the age of 16) I have done twenty different jobs and I have taken some satisfaction from me, my vision of life has always made me see the glass always half full and never half empty. The pursuit of happiness, in my case, has always been about achieving possible goals. Getting to retirement and enjoying a few quiet years has more value to me than anything else and the contact with people, the exchange of ideas, information and other things that cannot be valued in money has always been of immense value to me.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Oh just look at that Chrome.
ROFL emoticon That's why I got the Anniversario. Got microfiber cloth? I never ride without one!
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked
ex 1986 Vespa PX125, 2007 Vespa LX150

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
The V7 Racer is, in my humble opinion, a huge hypocrisy by Guzzi. You can't call "Racer" a motorcycle only good for 170 km/h more or less which can easily be outrun by any Japanese naked 600cc and which can find itself in trouble even against the old Cb500.

This's not only true for Guzzi, obviously: it's the same for the Triumph Street Cup for example, or similar wanna-be racers.

Still, fashion comes in; and as long as they sell good, they're well named/placed in the market.

My all-time favourite V7 versions are the Classic and Cafe Classic.

My favourite retro bikes tout-court are the Kawasaki Z900 RS and W650, the Royal Enfield Continental GT 536 and the Ducati GT 1000.

(But the best motorcycle ever made is still my 1973 Guzzi V850 GT California, without a doubt!)
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
I think that I can understand Moto Guzzi for calling it a Racer if it's the most Racey version of that chassis.

I can easily forgive it for it's misnoma as it just radiates it's racing heritage without even moving.

I have a Royal Enfield 500 Trials, but to call it a Trails bike would be inaccurate because it weighs a tonne and would be laughable off road but as it's a tribute to a historic Trails bike you can't call it anything else.

Instagram is laiden with motorcycles that are labelled Cafe Racers that aren't actual " Racers" at all so where do you start with being specific about a motorcycles name with it's actual capabilities ?

Porsche's fully electric Taycan comes in a Turbo version. Figure that out.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
I have a Royal Enfield 500 Trials, but to call it a Trails bike would be inaccurate because it weighs a tonne and would be laughable off road but as it's a tribute to a historic Trails bike you can't call it anything else.
trial
noun

4 : a test of faith, patience, or stamina through subjection to suffering or temptation
broadly : a source of vexation or annoyance
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
I used to have a Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic. Pretty similar bike to that one . Beautiful bike but too slow so I bought a Moto Guzzi Bellagio and converted it to look like a V7.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Riding a Royal Enfield Continental 535 is a bloody trial. Riding an RE Trail is a joy.

I think that the previous poster poses a very interesting question.

Do you name a bike from a heritage point of view by calling it something emotive like a Dakar or a Daytona or do you project it's abilities by calling it a Racer or a TT when it hasn't actually won anything ?

Even the Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans model didn't actually win the 24 hours of Le Mans. It may not have even entered it so maybe they had a habit of giving their bikes aspirational monikers.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
If you don't look at extreme performance, even standard tuning alone is fine, after all aesthetics often satisfy more than performance.
As a classic but touring bike and with only 20 hp I like the Benelli Imperiale, it costs little and makes you have fun.
Sports cars are uncomfortable and take away the urge to drive unless you are able to pay the fines for speed and driving style infringements, certainly flaunting them can be a satisfaction to your ego (where is mpfrank when are there such talk?) but in the long run you get tired.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Of course it's all relative depending on what you want. The Guzzi V7 did most things for me including touring but I could never keep up when riding with my brothers on their Jap rockets. The clincher for me was doing a track day where I could hold my own on the bendy bits but was blown away on the straight. When a 40 y.o. Laverda passed me I new it was time for an upgrade.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Mind you, I am a huge, huge Guzzi fan. In my family we begun our relationship with the firm with dad owning a 500cc Falcone, then a V7 Special, the actual V850 GT California, and a 350 Florida.

And I understand the value of a name in terms of marketing: the modern V7 is an easy bike, a good all-rounder and a huge success for the firm, so there's nothing really wrong in changing the seat and the handlebar and saying it's a racer.
After all, the V7 project is but a Nevada with different body parts... so it's ok to have a V7 Racer, a V7 Stornello etc etc

But I reckon it's just me, not these bikes; simply I have enough of motorcycles boasted as road rockets when they can't handle a track day - the customized Bellagio above is something I'd buy over a V7 without even thinking!
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Mauro150LX wrote:
- the customized Bellagio above is something I'd buy over a V7 without even thinking!
I've lost count of the number of times someone has said to me "That's the bike Guzzi should have made."
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
How hard was it to fit the V7 tank on the Bellagio frame? Did you have to modify the frame for the seat?
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Not that complicated. Welded a couple of tabs on the frame to hold the front of the tank in place and had to modify the latch that holds the seat in place. I've seen guys pack the tank up about an inch which makes it easier to fit the tank and you can fit the Bellagio fuel pump under the tank but it doesn't look right to me. I have a V7 fuel pump which fits nicely in a slot under the tank.
⚠️ Last edited by Bobo on UTC; edited 1 time
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
I owned an 1100 Sport and a Monza 500 at the same time. The Monza really was more fun to ride, but the Sport got ridden more. That was back in the days when cops didn't really care about motorcyclists speeding. These days I can't see the point of something that fast.

Get off my lawn.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Both great bikes!
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
Having ridden a 'Vespa' for the last 40 years, I'm ok with vehicle names not being too literal!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Do you name a bike from a heritage point of view by calling it something emotive like a Dakar or a Daytona or do you project it's abilities by calling it a Racer or a TT when it hasn't actually won anything ?

Would you ride a Moto Guzzi Ponderous or a Piaggio Malignant?
It's not the engineers, it's marketing.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Would you ride a Moto Guzzi Ponderous or a Piaggio Malignant?
It's not the engineers, it's marketing.
And they all do it if they can.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
You're backing up my point. Give a bike an evocative name and you'll sell more even if the product doesn't deserve the title.

Sure it's going to denote it's purpose but why not let it earn it's title rather than slap it on with no level of achievement ?

And talking of which, what actually is a Le Baron ?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I support your point but only in part, it is true that the name contributes to increasing consideration (they do it on purpose) but if there is no support by demonstrating that the given name also assigns real merits then it becomes a sign of derision, it is a weapon double-edged risk with too high-sounding names.
But today people pay less and less attention to us and indeed, today someone would go so far as to give the name Ferrari to a shovel to say that it goes faster than another ..! There is no more dignity.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Actually, V7 IIIs are being used in Italy for racing...Moto Guzzi organized an Endurance Trophy between V7 IIIs alone, prepped with a special racing kit by Guareschi brothers, popular Guzzi mechanics and pilots, with one having worked in MotoGP with Ducati and Valentino Rossi.

What's laughable is that there was already a national Endurance Trophy going on, reserved to classic bikes, which was almost totally dominated by old Moto Guzzi (my mechanic's T3 was national champion twice in its class, etc) and what was Moto Guzzi's official support back then?

They were sponsorizing a barber shop close to the paddocks...if you went to watch the race in Misano you'd stumble across this Proraso (a barber's tools firm) gazebo with a couple of Moto Guzzi V7 standing still and the barber shaving whoever needed to shave.
Meanwhile 'real' Moto Guzzi racers where running and winning against classic Bimota, Suzuki, BMW etc...

Again, it's just marketing, and as long as it works it's well done...
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
I don't begrudge anything Piaggio does to keep Moto Guzzi afloat. It's surprising that they're still around. Not fast, not cheap so whatever marketing works is fine with me. All they have is a tried and tested motor and drive train and eye catching design. Personally I wouldn't own any other bike but they definitely don't have mass appeal. I can't wait to ride a new V7 850 to see how they perform. I don't know if any have even landed in Australia yet but I think they could be a great bike for doing a bit of everything on.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Sure you don't want to wait a little bit more?

Prototypes of a new Moto Guzzi powered by a liquid cooled, shaft driven V1000 putting about 110 to 120 horsepower have been seen on the roads around Noale.....It should be the heir of the Breva/1200 Sport....
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Heard nothing about it. Sounds great. Kind of a shame to me that they have to go water cooled. Just sentimental I guess. I was hoping they make some kind of Le Mans with a red and black colour scheme. Something like this that someone mocked up from a Bellagio base.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
UTC quote
In the UK, Ford base models were badged L for Luxury? Then the XL, and Grand Xtra Luxury GXL!

I think the S came with go faster stripes!

It's all just marketing.

And the masses just keep sucking it up!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Bobo wrote:
Heard nothing about it. Sounds great. Kind of a shame to me that they have to go water cooled. Just sentimental I guess. I was hoping they make some kind of Le Mans with a red and black colour scheme. Something like this that someone mocked up from a Bellagio base.
Ah! Assume the same transverse V engine and instead no, they experiment with an 850 with a longitudinal V engine derived from the Aprilia V 1000 and a "small" 600 derived from the Aprilia 660 RS.
Voices of friends who have contacts from those areas ...
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
UTC quote
Wow that's disappointing if it's true. The appeal for me is the air-cooled, transverse V and shaft drive they've been doing for 50+ years. Not sure if it's a Guzzi anymore if they change that but I suppose they have no choice if they want to stay relevant. They should just go all the way and go electric.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
They might as well, there're rumors of an electric Galletto scooter....well it was just a sketch, to be fair...

What's important to me is to have a wider choice: air cooled V twin, LC transverse, etc etc, the more I can choose the better!
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Mauro150LX wrote:
Prototypes of a new Moto Guzzi powered by a liquid cooled, shaft driven V1000 putting about 110 to 120 horsepower have been seen on the roads around Noale.....
Haven't we been hearing this for 30 years though?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0245s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0083s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]