@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Because of the shortage of new cars. The dealers can't get hold of new stock so the value of used is rising.

Dealers may have a car that they can't sell so they'll make a good offer on the trade in then sell it for a premium while getting rid of the 90 day car.

If the dealer does the numbers it will get a kick back from the manufacturer so everyone is happy.

On the point of removing chips, if you don't have an ECU chip the car can't move so you can't really build it.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Dan V. wrote:
TLDR - I kick myself for buying this instead of the RAV4. But my wife likes it.
Now that you mention RAV4 - I have no idea how the prices compare in the US, but if they do, it is worth doing a test drive with the latest RAV4.

Some time ago I was testing out various plug-in hybrids, RAV4 one of those. Just for a comparison, I also drove a 'normal' petrol RAV4.

I think Toyota has managed to build some character to the new RAV4. It feels... kind of rugged, even spartan, in a solid way. Very roomy too.

Then again, it's been a while since I drove a Forester, but if my memory serves me right, Subaru feels more comfy and refined... mayby not a huge differenge in practice, it may be more a 'look and feel' thing.

I did not end up having the RAV4 plug-in hybrid, but it was not a bad car.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I want a Jeep with an american V8 that pollutes and makes noise like a 747.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Gross.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon
UTC quote
stickyfrog wrote:
We find ourselves in need of a second car. With my scooter out of commission and winter around the corner we need a second car for my wife (and a new scooter which is in the works).

My wife is in love with the Subaru Forester. Unlike our current GMC Terrain they handle well on snow/ice and have a good safety record.

Questions:
1. What are your experiences with Subaru vehicles? Pros and cons. Would you recommend something else?

2. In today's automobile market with chip shortages and used cars selling for close to new car prices on some models would you purchase new? I've never been a fan of buying new cars because of the immediate depreciation but things are different now.
You cannot go wrong with a Subaru, our family currently owns 3 of them. We have owned them (along with many other brands) for years. Trouble free, built with precision, safety reviews on top and comfort like an old Lincoln Town Car. Just buy it, you'll love it.

SDG
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
I own a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5 Auto.
I bought it used with 95 000kms on the odo.
I do very little travel (my Vespa is preferred) but have no complaints whatsoever.
Clap emoticon
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
As your attorney I recommend you buy a very fast car without a top.

Big motor. Crap brakes. Terrible mileage. Awful handling.

Please sign here.
(This is your life insurance form)

All kidding aside, I bought my mom a Subaru cross trek and she LOVES it. I did a chip and software reflash and upgraded the the stock pads with some hawks and out better tires on when the OE ones wore the F out on the pronto.

It's a really really comfortable car to drive and all the little nanny stuff is actually nice to have.

It's getting an upgraded turbo and custom down pipe next.

Mom likes to mash that skinny pedal

(Btw, mileage remained unchanged with those upgrades)
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Sorry, Attila, V6 or straight 4 only, these days. Look for old Toyota Land Cruisers with a transplanted Chevy 350.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
No more Subarus for me. I had a couple of late 90's models. One had chronic transmission problems from 35,000 miles on, the other just rusted away though it was mechanically all right.
@kayemtee avatar
UTC

Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i

Addicted
@kayemtee avatar
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black). Primavera- Kymco Yager 200i
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
I'm curious about this experience - why would the dealer contact someone wanting to buy their car? And why would they be so motivated to swap a 4-yo Forrester on their lot for a new one?
Here in the Northeast, there is a shortage of new cars; dealer inventory may be 20% of the normal number of cars on hand. Dealers TV ads, rather than focusing on what they have to sell you, are offering to buy your car even if you are not buying another. One used car lot near me generally has about 20 used cars for sale, but this year, he's lucky to have three.
I'm surprised this phenomenon has not hit Atlanta; while driving up from South Florida last April, most new car dealers I passed, including those off I-95 in Georgia, had their cars spaced to try to hide the fact that their inventory was depleted.
As to my friend's situation, less than 40 miles north of NYC, I have a hard time figuring it out as well. Perhaps there are many people who just cant afford new, even when the spread between new and four years old has narrowed.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
Sorry, Attila, V6 or straight 4 only, these days. Look for old Toyota Land Cruisers with a transplanted Chevy 350.
Here you cannot replace the engine with a different one (maybe it was possible), even the simple replacement of the original engine with an identical one involves a long and expensive bureaucratic procedure (often more than the engine).
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
No more Subarus for me. I had a couple of late 90's models. One had chronic transmission problems from 35,000 miles on, the other just rusted away though it was mechanically all right.
Even on my sister's Subaru Forester 4x4 ...
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Kayemtee wrote:
Thanks for the explanation! I suppose I'm still a little confused, though - in this case they have a car (the new one), so swapping it for the used one doesn't increase their inventory. But maybe their profit margin is higher on used cars?

Either way, I'm sure it is happening here too - I've just been deeply isolated for the last year and a half and haven't been in the market for a car, so it's probably just slipped my notice
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]