OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
So thanks to this site I have been able to input my frame and engine serial numbers, and this is what I've found: Frame is a 1979 with an early serial number. I believe per number it was aprx. #550 out of 21,331 models produced that year.
As for the engine vin number it is a 1980 P200E motor. Could not determine when in 1980 it was built.

Just purchased the bike over the phone and now have it in my position. Seller stated it has
1940 miles. Without tearing into it other than taking off the plastic engine cowl it looks to have in excess of that mileage, ex. the flywheel cover? some paint and minimal rust. The gray air filter cover is missing about half the paint. Lots of oil and dirt crud every where.

Don't want to over analyze this, just want any help regarding the frame year, early 1979,
and the 1980 motor. Would this appear to be the original engine? Any thoughts or advice?
Scooter was sold to me as a 1980 P200E
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
If you post the numbers people might be able to spot check.

That being said, a few thoughts I hope are helpful:

Unless they are the original owner, I wouldn't trust the mileage. Not that they are "lying" but a lot goes down over 40 years of a scooter's life, including the speedo cable breaking or gear wearing out. Someone might ignore it for a few years and just ride it (because the speedos are inaccurate anyway), etc.

It's not terribly uncommon for engines to get swapped. I fixed up an engine from a mashed up bike and sold it once. From a 1980 - maybe you have mine Razz emoticon But seriously, someone could have a catastrophic failure of bearings or something and decide to swap in a working engine and roll with it.

These things are DIRTY. Super gross. So 2,000 miles will definitely add crud all around the motor. If it's original, and really has 2,000 miles on it, it could still be a bit filthy if nobody cleaned it.

I guess my advice is not to overthink it, or to worry too much about it being "wrong" as long as the motor is in good running shape. Bonus points if it has been gone through recently with new gaskets and seals and stuff.

One thing you can check is the wiring coming off the stator - they changed the wiring scheme in '79, so it's worth knowing (for troubleshooting purposes) if you've got a double-yellow or single-yellow wiring setup. Also worth noting if you have an SI 24/24 carb or 20/20, because those changed over the years too (moved down to a 20/20 to try to cut back its filthy emissions late in the model's life)

The motor alone is worth a lot of money, and people like to put P2 motors in other largeframes. I don't know what you paid, but it's probably gonna be a good bike for you in the end, regardless.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Quote:
Scooter was sold to me as a 1980 P200E
What does the title say?
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
John Young wrote:
Don't want to over analyze this,
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
Maybe a bit petty, buy you don't really want to start a new thread for a follow-up... Continuity is a good thing.
OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
I am away from my house right now. (I may have acquired my first Vespa groupie) When I get back home I will post both #s for the frame and motor.
This Vespa need I have is maybe the first addiction I've had where I can't be arrested for it! Clap emoticon Razz emoticon Laughing emoticon
OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
So after more diligent searching it appears both the engine and frame are for a 1980 P200E.
In my earlier research I was not clear on the engine and frame #s and their designation.
I looked into it a bit deeper and found what I now understand to be the correct year. Both are from 1980.

Frame # is 37567
Engine # is 0078182

I apologize for my error and thank all who responded.
Facepalm emoticon Wha? emoticon Bleh emoticon

To error is human, so once again I've confirmed my species.
OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
After looking into the motor, etched on the flywheel engine is serial number 315875. It's not stamped but written with those numbers and a word after that I can't decipher. Checked that motor number in the vin decoding site. It says it,s from a 1984 P200e motor. Now, The scooter was advertised as 1940 original miles. The frame and all other components minus the motor appear to be all original. However I'm no expert!

What is confusing is that the serial number stamped on the front underside of the motor from Vespa is a 1980 motor serial number. The plastic black motor cover and the metal flywheel cover look like they are from lets just say a more seasoned motor though.
W.T.F. am I looking at? After a bit of crazy talk to myself we, I mean I have decided to just keep moving forward and turn it into a great P200e. Only small issue is I have never done an engine rebuild if it's even needed.
As stated before a lot can happen in 40+ years.
Any insight or thoughts here that might keep me from jumping off my 1 story roof?
Thanks, John
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
John Young wrote:
After looking into the motor, etched on the flywheel engine is serial number 315875. It's not stamped but written with those numbers and a word after that I can't decipher. Checked that motor number in the vin decoding site. It says it,s from a 1984 P200e motor. Now, The scooter was advertised as 1940 original miles. The frame and all other components minus the motor appear to be all original. However I'm no expert!

What is confusing is that the serial number stamped on the front underside of the motor from Vespa is a 1980 motor serial number. The plastic black motor cover and the metal flywheel cover look like they are from lets just say a more seasoned motor though.
W.T.F. am I looking at? After a bit of crazy talk to myself we, I mean I have decided to just keep moving forward and turn it into a great P200e. Only small issue is I have never done an engine rebuild if it's even needed.
As stated before a lot can happen in 40+ years.
Any insight or thoughts here that might keep me from jumping off my 1 story roof?
Thanks, John
Post some photos of the scooter in question, and the various numbers. Its hard to say anything for sure without seeing that
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]