OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
Hello, im in southern maryland and i aquired a 2007 BV 500 as part of a abandoned vehicles auction. it has 3900 miles on it and looks to be the shape of 3900 miles. Tires and brakes look barely used. Seat looks unsat in. Coolant and oil look clean. It looks like it sat out on the lot for a few months (about 90 days partially covered from what I understand) but nothing armorall wouldnt have looking brand new for the most part. Unfortunately It also looks like someone tried to steal it that doesnt know of the immobilizer in these things as I now do. They forced and broke the ignition cylinder and pulled and broke off the front cover to expose and fiddle with the ignition wires in a attempt to hot wire id guess. At this point im not sure where I want to go with this thing but it seems like a real shame that its a 300lb paper weight. So im entertaining ideas, thoughts, offers and i'll let the universe figure out what happens with us. After some reading on these things they look awesome. Im tempted to go down the road of getting some keys made and coded to the ecu/tb. I found a place that will do that for 400$ but im a little scared that may just lead down a rabbit hole of what else she needs to be road worthy and i dont have a couple k to throw at it right now. I dont know how much of the ignition/wiring is missing. I really wish it was simpler but i dont belittle what i dont understand anymore, so looking for some help, input, feedback, offers or prayers.... many thanks in advance for any thoughts or consideration.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Moved to general discussion, as no replies are permitted in the For Sale section.
UTC

Addicted
Buddy 125, Scarabeo 150, Scarabeo 500ie, Triumphs, Vespa Sprint 150

Addicted
UTC quote
If the source you found is AF1 in Texas, or Moto International in Seattle they could likely help you.

If anyone else I am not so sure.
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
Scooterwest in california will make keys if I send the TB, ECU, etc... but that just gets me keys and cylinder. Im assuming this thing is going to need at least a little more then that but am not sure how much. I dont see an actual ignition switch here either. Just an immobilizer ring with a small 2 wire going from around the lock cylinder housing/ to the ecu. Ive had no luck finding any real comprehensive schematics pictures or videos of an intact ignition system to compare it to. And even if I had all that, there could be other issues or things missing. Im pretty handy and work on small engines all the time. This thing is a horse of a different color. Ill call those two shops though and see what they can add to the conversation. Thanks for the idea.
⚠️ Last edited by Nickbeamore on UTC; edited 1 time
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e

Addicted
@dru avatar
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e
UTC quote
What color is it? Mine is showing it's age and wear and tear, so I might be interested in it as a parts bike.
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
Its a realy dark almost black with maybe a hint of tiny blue metalic flake. Maybe something like that. Ill take some pics in the sun tomorrow
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Nickbeamore wrote:
Im pretty handy and work on small engines all the time.
What kind of small engines? Is all the time 40 hours a week, or 35 in France? Unless this is what you do, you would be well served to pay a shop for a diagnostic. When I hear someone tried to hotwire a Vespa, I know you need to find someone who can look at it and tell you what's wrong or missing.
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
I was a mechanic for GM for 10 years and Husqvarna for 5. I have also been flipping mainly dirt bikes and ATVs for past 10yrs from auction. Point was I know this thing is in decent shape mechanically x,

Bm.however the elevtronics on this are out of my lane a bit, thats why im here. I havent decided on if want to keep it or pass it along. So im putting some feelers out there and seeing what comes back. If someone wants it as a project for themselves, make an offer.
If someone can help me figure out how to diag/ fix or has an idea, I'm also all ears, if someone knows of a good Vespa mechanic or shop in the Maryland or Virginia area let me know.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
fried okra wrote:
If the source you found is AF1 in Texas, or Moto International in Seattle they could likely help you.

If anyone else I am not so sure.
Sadly, once Dave Richardson retired in Oct. of 2017, MI went under rather quickly.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
And Micah has retired from Af1 too now I think??
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
Thanks breaknwind and jimc. Ill see if I can get anything out of these. By the way, its a 2007 BV 500
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
Heres what im looking at i looked at the files and i can see which parts id need from "locks" which includes cylinder, and a handful of other small parts that are part of and including ignition switch. The main harness picture doesnt give me much but i assume im missing a leg to the harness that would clip to the ignition switch. Havent been able to find anything that would help me identify what that connector would look like or what wires, color or anything. I currently have several connectors that are hanging out in this area unplugged. One that looks identical to the ECU plug but its black. And a couple smaller ones that look like lights or something. Nothing that looks like the typical ignition switch plug though...
Ill try to post a few angles.
Looksee
Looksee
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
And this one
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Piaggio bv500

Piaggio bv500
UTC quote
And this angle.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0161s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]