OP
UTC

1980 P200E

1980 P200E
UTC quote
I have a 1980 p200e that I have recently purchased. Today I took the covers off the electrical switches and after cleaning them up I cleaned and greased around the cable ends attached to the brake and clutch levers. It made some moderate improvement when engaging the levers. My question is regarding lubricating into the cable sleeves. Is that something that is required, suggested or bad juju to do it. If the answer is to lube the cables down into the sleeves can anyone suggest the go to product?
Or is it more wise to put new cables in since they are probably original from 1980. However the scooter has less than 2000 miles on it and I see no fraying of the cables at either ends.

Thanks in advance.
@pheasant_plucker avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
bare metal cafe racer

Molto Verboso
@pheasant_plucker avatar
bare metal cafe racer
UTC quote
They are supposed to be "dry" but if cbf getting new ones then I'd flush them with WD40 and then get as much of that out with compressed air. Want them to be dry so they don't pick up more crap. The WD40 probably isn't great for the outers (white spirits isn't great for rubber and plastics) but it's cheap and will work.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I grease mine, personally. You can get nice Teflon coated cable sets that don't need it, but with the random ones I have I definitely get a much smoother pull when I grease my cables at home than shove a dry one down on the side of the road

*edit* not all greases are created equal, though - I don't use a thick jelly prone to gumming up
@philos avatar
UTC

Banned
2001 LML 150 2t

Banned
@philos avatar
2001 LML 150 2t
UTC quote
I follow the Vespa manual. It says use a grease/oil combo on the cables, and that's worked well for me.

In regards to cables already in-situ… I slowly add drops high viscosity oil (gearbox oil works great) at the highest point and let that flow down the cable. If I haven't already greased the cable, I'll add a few drops of oil onto the cables every time I take the headset off. Easy peasy.
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
When installing an new inner I spray some cable lube into the housing and then grease the inner as it is installed.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0087s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0018s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]