OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 Super Sport

@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
Hey folks,

So I started riding a couple years ago on a GTS 300. Rode it for about a year, and really enjoyed it. After that, I bought a motorcycle because I wanted to learn to ride with a manual transmission. A few months after getting the motorcycle, I sold the Vespa because I was focused on getting good at using a clutch + shifting and just wasn't riding it much anymore.

Several months ago, I started thinking about getting a new bike — either trading in my current one or getting a second one. I thought long and hard about what to get, doing copious amounts of research, comparisons, pros/cons lists, etc. At a certain point, I realized I missed the convenience of the Vespa — the storage, the ease of use, the excellent local mechanic, etc. My motorcycle is a lot of fun but, for a variety of reasons, the ownership experience is a lot more cumbersome than the Vespa's.

So, I went to the Vespa dealership to take a look at the GTS 300 again. Dealership doesn't allow test rides, but I remembered what a great time I had with it originally and sitting on it brought back all those good feelings + memories. After several more days of careful evaluation, I decided I was going to get another GTS (in addition to my motorcycle), put down a deposit, and waited a month for the color I wanted to arrive.

Well, today I got it, annnd…I feel terrible. Riding it home, the GTS felt so soulless compared to my motorcycle and I missed so many things about the motorcycle experience — the sound, revving the engine, using a clutch, shifting gears, the bigger wheels, the gas tank between my legs, the stability, etc. etc. The GTS, meanwhile, felt so…tame, so quiet. I felt like I was just sitting there doing nothing. I felt so small in traffic, so much less planted and visible. None of the other folks on two wheels I encountered acknowledged me like when I'm on my motorcycle. I also felt like I was inadvertently speeding a lot of the time, and just generally a lot less patient in traffic.

But most of all, I felt like I had made a very big, very expensive mistake. When I got home, I took my motorcycle out for a ride and it was just so much better of an experience.

Now, I know there are things I could've done differently — I could've bought used, I could've found a way to rent a Vespa for a day, etc. etc. But, at the same time, I put so much time, effort, energy, thought, calculation, emotion into the purchase, doing my best to make sure this was what I wanted using the tools at my disposal. I saved up the money for months. I took the NIU scooters that are part of the local scooter-share program here out for a ride several times. I watched so many videos, read so many articles, went through all the things I had from my past ownership experience, made comparisons, listed pros + cons, talked with other folks, etc. etc.

I thought that I would get the Vespa and have it be a relaxing little bike that would be a nice, occasional change of pace from my motorcycle, something I could also use if I needed to carry some things with me somewhere, something peaceful, etc.

And yet…here I am feeling defeated, wanting to just sell this brand new bike with like 12 miles on it to someone who truly wants it and get at least some of my money back.

Sigh…
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
One of our locals will be along shortly to take it off your hands for a ridiculously low price.

Scooter emoticon
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
Well, IMO you should give it time. I totally understand where you are coming from with the level of interactivity in the ride, having juggled a cvt modern and my shifty vintage scoots for years (and just generally preferring manual vehicles). But in the end they fit different moments in your life better than each other.

You post about a smooth, relaxing, change of pace from your motorcycle... I fail to see how won't offer exactly that.

And when you want to go shopping and actually have a place to put the stuff you bought on the bike, or battle city streets in the least stressful way because you just aren't in the mood for riding the clutch, or some $!#@ is acting up with the big thumper you'll hop on the GTS and remember exactly why you bought it.

You aren't getting that money back (although I suppose selling it tomorrow is better than in a year), so I'd have a little patience and get reacquainted with it. I'm pretty sure you'll rediscover multiple niches in your day for it over the MC
⚠️ Last edited by xantufrog on UTC; edited 1 time
@big_boys_mother avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster

Molto Verboso
@big_boys_mother avatar
2010 GTV250ie - Sienna Ivory, BMW F650CS, HD 883 Sportster
UTC quote
For clarification, what is your question? :?
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I have both, I love both, I just love the Vespa a little more.

PS. Welcome to MV. Post pics so we can all oooo and ahhh. Maybe it will make you feel better about your newest stable member.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Quote:
So I started riding a couple years ago on a GTS 300. Rode it for about a year, and really enjoyed it.
So you had years worth of Vespa experience, then bought a motorcycle, then returned to a Vespa and are now dissatisfied? Well sorry for you but you rode a Vespa for a year. Did you forget? Completely baffled by this post.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Big_Boys_Mother wrote:
For clarification, what is your question? :?
Or point.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
It's only money. Having two bikes is fun. They did different things at different times in different situations. Enjoy them both.
Miguel
UTC

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300

Enthusiast
2019 GTS300
UTC quote
OP won't be back. Just needed to vent about a mistake.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
Hey folks,

So I started riding a couple years ago on a GTS 300. Rode it for about a year, and really enjoyed it. After that, I bought a motorcycle because I wanted to learn to ride with a manual transmission. A few months after getting the motorcycle, I sold the Vespa because I was focused on getting good at using a clutch + shifting and just wasn't riding it much anymore.

Several months ago, I started thinking about getting a new bike — either trading in my current one or getting a second one. I thought long and hard about what to get, doing copious amounts of research, comparisons, pros/cons lists, etc. At a certain point, I realized I missed the convenience of the Vespa — the storage, the ease of use, the excellent local mechanic, etc. My motorcycle is a lot of fun but, for a variety of reasons, the ownership experience is a lot more cumbersome than the Vespa's.

So, I went to the Vespa dealership to take a look at the GTS 300 again. Dealership doesn't allow test rides, but I remembered what a great time I had with it originally and sitting on it brought back all those good feelings + memories. After several more days of careful evaluation, I decided I was going to get another GTS (in addition to my motorcycle), put down a deposit, and waited a month for the color I wanted to arrive.

Well, today I got it, annnd…I feel terrible. Riding it home, the GTS felt so soulless compared to my motorcycle and I missed so many things about the motorcycle experience — the sound, revving the engine, using a clutch, shifting gears, the bigger wheels, the gas tank between my legs, the stability, etc. etc. The GTS, meanwhile, felt so…tame, so quiet. I felt like I was just sitting there doing nothing. I felt so small in traffic, so much less planted and visible. None of the other folks on two wheels I encountered acknowledged me like when I'm on my motorcycle. I also felt like I was inadvertently speeding a lot of the time, and just generally a lot less patient in traffic.

But most of all, I felt like I had made a very big, very expensive mistake. When I got home, I took my motorcycle out for a ride and it was just so much better of an experience.

Now, I know there are things I could've done differently — I could've bought used, I could've found a way to rent a Vespa for a day, etc. etc. But, at the same time, I put so much time, effort, energy, thought, calculation, emotion into the purchase, doing my best to make sure this was what I wanted using the tools at my disposal. I saved up the money for months. I took the NIU scooters that are part of the local scooter-share program here out for a ride several times. I watched so many videos, read so many articles, went through all the things I had from my past ownership experience, made comparisons, listed pros + cons, talked with other folks, etc. etc.

I thought that I would get the Vespa and have it be a relaxing little bike that would be a nice, occasional change of pace from my motorcycle, something I could also use if I needed to carry some things with me somewhere, something peaceful, etc.

And yet…here I am feeling defeated, wanting to just sell this brand new bike with like 12 miles on it to someone who truly wants it and get at least some of my money back.

Sigh…
Never read so many funny contradictions in a single post..

But the best part was this one:
Quote:
None of the other folks on two wheels I encountered acknowledged me like when I'm on my motorcycle.
"Dear Dolly, the world is ignoring me and I don't know what to do!?!?"

Nonetheless, I'm going to ask you a question..

You never mentioned what the "other bike" you bought, is it..

I got the feeling that I'm going to be disappointed again.. Laughing emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
A 150 might be complimentary to a "real motorcycle". Possibly pink. With tassels.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
Like others have said, just give it some time. I was sick of my clunky old diesel, manual, 4x4 pickup so sold it and bought a new Forester. Everything I hated about my old truck I ended up really missing. The Forester felt so bland that I almost felt like a passenger and missed the driving 'experience'. Now after a few months I love the comfort and convenience of the new car. It's just a bit of a shock to the system to get over. And you're not the first or last to experience seller's remorse. I have with every bike I ever sold.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
A 150 might be complimentary to a "real motorcycle". Possibly pink. With tassels.
He could be a very clever salesman... I hope he replies with an asking price, and everything will start to make sense... Laughing emoticon
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
I bought a brand new 2022 GTS with -3463 miles off it for 3500 pesos five years ago. In light of the higher mileage and it being a year older, I'll give you 18 pesos and a van you can either live in or get running and make some real money.
You didn't put your location in your profile, but from the size of your whinge, I figure you're from New Zealand. 18 pesos is enough to get a Kiwi at least eight feet (two meters and a shilling) closer to a better place, by which I mean Australia. And the van is mostly bondo and primer, so you can paint it any color you want, and huff whatever's left in the cans when you're done.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Seems like we are just hearing an exaggerated case of buyers remorse. The OP has recently owned and ridden a GTS for about a year so he knew exactly what he was getting into. The problem isn't that the vehicle wasn't what he expected. He has changed his mind or simply regrets spending the money. If I were him I'd sit on this for a while and see if it still looks the same.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
I have rarely replaced one PTW for another without later regretting not still having it, and turning that regret into remorse for buying the new one!

The trick is to add to your collection. Especially in your case where you're comparing two totally different types of machine.

Oh, and about being acknowledged by motorcycle riders.. the one's that ignore you are asshats (and probably unvaccinated).
⚠️ Last edited by fleece on UTC; edited 1 time
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Treat it like a Firework.

Once you've walked away from it you can't go back.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Sometimes psychological support is more needed than technical, and there is nothing wrong with that.
The projection of unsatisfied needs cannot fall on an inanimate object, it is not the "means through which" but only the pivot of rotation. If considered as such it will remain in your life doing this whenever you need it, without being the point of release.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked
ex 1986 Vespa PX125, 2007 Vespa LX150

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
ex 1986 Vespa PX125, 2007 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Eh, this's why I have 5 motorcycles AND a Vespa

Having been a teenager during the late '90s-early 2000's "scooter boom" here in Italy, I've been cursed - the tiny, 50cc 2 stroke scooter was what allowed you to expand your world, the perfect weapon of choice to go around with your girl, picking her up after school and bringing her back home, going around with your friends, going to the beach, drifting in the snow, doing wheelie races, modifying it etc etc.... Scooters rock!
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
There is no point trying to compare them. Enjoy them both for what they are. I have a motorcycle, GTS and a shifty Vespa for this very reason. They are all completely different rides.

If you are worried about getting acknowledgement from other riders you need to take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Welcome to the site. You really cannot make any sort of decision about your future with the new GTS in just 12 miles! Personally, I think you need to take a step back and think hard about re-learning the Vespa experience. And certainly don't worry about not 'being acknowledged' by motorcycle riders. If that bothers you there is something wrong with your mental approach to life. That said, I nearly always get acknowledgement from other bike riders of any type of machine over here when on my GTS but that's not why I ride.
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
Everyone already said everything. But yeah. The salute from other riders comes and goes. I get it from most riders in the area no matter what I ride. I have to admit when it's reciprocated by the graybeards on their full dressers when I'm on the Aprilia 50 it does feel good.

Ride the cycle when you feel like that and the Vespa when you don't. I'm going back and forth between the Aprilia and the Stella depending on how I feel that day and they both make me smile. Differently.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
... at least you have a Vespa, I have an anonymous plastic object ...
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
Others have touched on the various reasons that indicate buyers remorse.

Why did no one wave back? Probably because you were acting so disappointed it was reflected in your wave.

I have had riders wave back to me when I was on a scooter, a 50cc motorcycle, my lawn tractor and a mountain bike and, of course, my numerous bikes over the years. You sit up straight and think, "Wave back MF" and point your hand downward and the wave back comes.

Suck it up. A scooter is cool.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Another unrequited love story, but happily the ex has good resale value.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
This is a case of the grass always being greener. Does this same "buyer's remorse" show up in other areas of your life? It's not the scooter's fault it's a scooter. Maybe what you want/miss is the thrill of something new (the original scooter, maybe your first??) and you'll never have it again. You can endlessly chase that high or accept you'll not have it in that realm again. Up to you, but try and learn how to be happy.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
e.

I have had riders wave back to me when I was on a scooter, a 50cc motorcycle, my lawn tractor.....
Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

Now that's attitude!
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
UTC quote
maybe he can return it? in florida any retail sale CAN be returned within a 72 hour period. its florida law. your location may vary..
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
I have had riders wave back to me when I was on a my lawn tractor.
Me too!
Miguel
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
I hope you expected these grumpy responses to your post😊
You're telling the Faithful that, for many, a motorcycle is more satisfying to ride than is their expensive designer twist and go.

It is.
Probably best to.post this on your bike's forum....
O.S.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I can kind of relate to this, but I never buy new, so if something does not work out, I just sell. Motorcycles are more engaging, so is driving a car with a manual shift. The up side of scooter is while somewhat less engaging, your mind is free to concentrate on other things, rather than what gear you in, where the engine revs are, etc.... A much more relaxing (or taxing) ride. I own both, and enjoy both.
UTC

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50

Hooked
'08 Vespa LX80, '07 LX50
UTC quote
Re above, motorcycles are more engaging: True there is more to do and way more decisions to make, especially if you have a liter bike or more. I take in way more scenery on the Vespa which is a bad safety move but that's just the way I am wired and I'm sub 45mph anyways.

If the OP is using the thing for a toy then I wish to hear no more speak of financial troubles. Toys aren't supposed to be great financial decisions. If it is for more of a utilitarian purpose, say commuting to work or running errands in a busy city, then the utility of the vespa will win out!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:
You're telling the Faithful that, for many, a motorcycle is more satisfying to ride than is their expensive designer twist and go.

It is.
O.S.
Amen!
@rottekatz avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@rottekatz avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Where are you located? I'll come get it on the cheap side.
⚠️ Last edited by rottekatz on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200L

Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
I have no desire to go back to a heavy motorcycle that cooks me with engine heat at every traffic light. But I do miss the fun of my twisty shift P200. In time I will add a classic Vespa P series to my garage, along side my daily rider GTS300hpe. The GTS is perfect for longer rides and the state highways. The P200 I had was fun for shorter trips and curvy/scenic roads, but not so much as a commuter to work where being late do to vehicle issues gets you in trouble with the attendance policy. If you have the $$ to afford both, enjoy both. The Vespa will be great for local chores like shopping/grocery. For long trips, take your MC. The lack of acknowledgement from other motorcycles when on the GTS is just how it is in the USA. I seldom get the 2 fingers down wave unless I wave first. For myself, personally, I prefer the quiet power of my GTS over a noisy motorcycle. But thats just me. Mike
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
jerryd wrote:
maybe he can return it? in florida any retail sale CAN be returned within a 72 hour period. its florida law. your location may vary..
Really? I can have a new bike/TV/underwear every three days?
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Really? I can have a new bike/TV/underwear every three days?
ROFL emoticon

Come on man, we have the 7 days cooling-off period here in Australia, but you gave me an idea about the Chinese three pair of cheap underwear with skid marks..

That's a $40 a month saving alone in washing... ROFL emoticon
@knight_train avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)

Ossessionato
@knight_train avatar
2017 BMW R1200GS and 2010 Vespa GTS 250 (shared)
UTC quote
mrob wrote:
OP won't be back. Just needed to vent about a mistake.
Looks like you called that one correctly. Good Job!!
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
OldSchooot wrote:

It is.
O.S.
I don't think you read the OP properly or taken enough time to read between the lines..

I didn't see any grumpy responses here and if you too, really believe that a Vespa is less satisfying than a larger faster motorcycle, perhaps you are using the wrong tool for the job.

Maybe you should spend a week in Roma or Milano and learn what a Vespa can do in traffic, while the 250kg + motorcycles, all get stuck behind...

Comparing a Vespa to a larger cc open wheels motorcycle, is as silly as the first post in this thread.

Vespa has evolved to a 300cc engine to give their consumer even a bit more power for those mid range trips out of the city..

Then again if you google "around the world on a Vespa" you will find people out there that do enjoy riding "slower" on a Vespa. (Giorgio Bettinelli comes to mind (books))

Finally, I can't think of any other two wheel system of transportation in history, that has successfully attracted more women to try and ride two wheels..

Not my cup of tea, but if money is not an issue, you can also have a fast Vespa...

DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]