UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
I don't think you read OldScoot's post correctly. They've got some goofy punctuation at the bottom that does make it confusing
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Mauro150LX wrote:
Fast Vespa, you say?

Polini Italian Cup:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Malossi Racing Academy:

Clap emoticon
You have probably seen it before, but this one always make me laugh...

@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Finally, I can't think of any other two wheel system of transportation in history, that has successfully attracted more women to try and ride two wheels...
Or just successfully attracted women 😉
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
63 GS160 MK1 / GT60 / Sean Wotherspoon

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
So I'm confused by the subject line.

Is the "huge mistake" your purchase or your post?

SDG
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
SDG wrote:

SDG
ROFL emoticon
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked
ex 1986 Vespa PX125, 2007 Vespa LX150

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
You have probably seen it before, but this one always make me laugh...

The SuperNES style music certainly gave the scooterist a x2 boost bonus
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
phaskins wrote:
This is a good point.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
phaskins wrote:
Laughing emoticon Yes, something like that...
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
SDG wrote:

SDG
ROFL emoticon

Posting about the purchase??
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Burt ... you need a month off in Italy.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Whoever said the OP will not be back is probably right. Not sure why they spent the time to create an account just to say they no longer enjoys riding a Vespa is a bit of a head scratcher.

FWIW a Vespa is not a motorcycle but then again a crotch rocket is not a touring bike. The beauty of a Vespa to me at least is the light weight and flickability so I can get across town in a crazy traffic city like Toronto is way less time than my BMW and especially Ural. After the initial minor pause the acceleration on a Vespa is great and man can it change direction quickly.

Whatever and to each their own but if you can't enjoy a Vespa than that is your loss.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
You can always think that having a motorcycle, a sidecar and a scooter is like having a harem.
And let the envious ones die.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Burt ... you need a month off in Italy.
I'm actually in holiday as we speak...

But I would take a month off in Italy if you did take a year off in Aus...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
I'm actually in holiday as we speak...

But I would take a month off in Italy if you did take a year off in Aus...
Magari! L'Australia è uno dei posti in cui vorrei trasferirmi.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Harbinger wrote:
Whoever said the OP will not be back is probably right. Not sure why they spent the time to create an account just to say they no longer enjoys riding a Vespa is a bit of a head scratcher.
This happens often enough that it almost deserves its own Forum on MV. Someone joins MV, drops a rotten egg on their first post, attracts a wide array of responses, and is never heard from again. And we fall for it every time. Sigh.....
@seamus26 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50

Ossessionato
@seamus26 avatar
1979 P200E (sold) / ZNEN Amore 150 (sold) / Genuine Buddy 170i / Genuine Stella 4T /Aprilia Sportcity One 50
UTC quote
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
This happens often enough that it almost deserves its own Forum on MV. Someone joins MV, drops a rotten egg on their first post, attracts a wide array of responses, and is never heard from again. And we fall for it every time. Sigh.....
Even though I knew I had nothing to do ...
Maybe someone else also has a lot of free time and takes care of answering idle questions that, as long as they do not disturb the order of the forum (which is not made of sheets of paper) I think we can stay; sometimes I wonder if there really was teleportation and we could all be together in the pub (or other place) we would be talking like here, now ... just to get together in a company.
@sdg avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdg avatar
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
At least it lets us try out our best material before open mic night.

😂

SDG
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I've been riding motorcycles for 54 years. Well, more to the point: motorcycles for 46 years and scooters for 8 years. I switched to scooters because of a hip issue. Now, 2 1/2 years post hip replacement, I can throw a leg over any motorcycle I'd care to buy. I have gotten spoiled by the scooter experience... I thought I would miss shifting and more horsepower. I thought I was miss some of that "brotherhood" when I rode Harleys, BMWs, and Goldwings.

I was wrong. These days, I find riding a scoot is more of a pure riding experience, especially through the twisty roads I enjoy the most. I am over wanting to ride coast to coast on two wheels, but for the occasional highway riding I do, the GTS can handle it. When we visit a bigger city, the Vespa is perfect for what we call "urban cruising." But it is best, and I am at my happy place, when we can ride roads that were seemingly designed for this fun riding experience.

I don't care if another motorcyclist waves or not. I really don't care if anyone likes my ride - although, the Vespa does get more compliments than I would have thought... including during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This scoot pleases ME. I come back from a ride, and my soul is happy. I would like to think I would feel that same way no matter what I'm riding, but the Vespa sporty and easy. I really like easy.

I'm guessing the OP here will come around with time. If he is smart enough to keep the Vespa AND his motorcycle. For now. Easy and entertaining to back and forth between those two wheel options.

Your Vespa isn't as fast and powerful as a bigger motorcycle? Well, no shit, Sherlock. The riding isn't always about fast and powerful, often it is about fun, finesse, and control. OR, and more to the point, if it is only about fast and powerful, what was the point of spending good money on the Vespa?

Hey, I understand nostalgia... I once came across a '69 Triumph Bonneville sitting on a used car lot. Snapped my head around. It was even the same color I had when I was a teenager. I taught the cute blonde that has been my wife for 49 years how to ride on that bike. She said, "Let's go back and look at it."

The salesman said, "We can't seem to get it to start, but I'm told it runs good."

I said, "Did you tickle the carbs?"

"Do what?" He had no idea. I tickled the carbs and the bike started on the first kick. I took it for a ride... it ruined all the wonderful nostalgia I had for that bike. It didn't handle or stop anything like the more modern Harley I was riding at the time.

Sometimes, you can't go back. But, if you can appreciate each machine for what it brings, there is no reason a person can't be completely delighted with a scooter and a motorcycle.

The OP moved from a Vespa to a motorcycle for the more visceral experience... it may take him some time to appreciate easy again.

Hard to get sympathy here for making what he thinks may have been a bad decision... we all think we made the right choice.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Isn't this incredibly similar to the I'm so glad that I didn't buy a GT300 thread ?

The syntax is almost identical.

Walking away.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Capt jim.

ALL of that.

Don't care if my 59 lambretta is fast or sexy or has nice paint. It's mine. I built it. It handles great and is fast enough for me.

And I grin like a idiot every time i ride it.

Like all my bikes. That's all I need.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Isn't this incredibly similar to the I'm so glad that I didn't buy a GT300 thread ?
Nah, that was Double M (Marbles Mahoney), a well-known figure. If he was moonlighting with a different account, we would have noticed. The OP of this thread doesn't have any shadow identity that we've been able to discern. (And yes, we looked).
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Salutes.
UTC

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I'm an ex-bigtime motorcycle rider. Give it up and was glad to move to a Vespa. They are much safer than motorcycles, particularly in the leg area. Several hundred motorcyclists lose their legs every year in motorcycle accidents. That doesn't happen with Vespas.

Insurance rates are dirt cheap for Vespas because serious accidents and injuries are rare. My Vespa is my main ride. I commute daily on the Interstate, ride in a major city, go for country rides whenever. I would never go back to motorcycles.
OP
@rolledoats avatar
UTC

2021 GTS 300 Super Sport

@rolledoats avatar
2021 GTS 300 Super Sport
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
I've been riding motorcycles for 54 years. Well, more to the point: motorcycles for 46 years and scooters for 8 years. I switched to scooters because of a hip issue. Now, 2 1/2 years post hip replacement, I can throw a leg over any motorcycle I'd care to buy. I have gotten spoiled by the scooter experience... I thought I would miss shifting and more horsepower. I thought I was miss some of that "brotherhood" when I rode Harleys, BMWs, and Goldwings.

I was wrong. These days, I find riding a scoot is more of a pure riding experience, especially through the twisty roads I enjoy the most. I am over wanting to ride coast to coast on two wheels, but for the occasional highway riding I do, the GTS can handle it. When we visit a bigger city, the Vespa is perfect for what we call "urban cruising." But it is best, and I am at my happy place, when we can ride roads that were seemingly designed for this fun riding experience.

I don't care if another motorcyclist waves or not. I really don't care if anyone likes my ride - although, the Vespa does get more compliments than I would have thought... including during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This scoot pleases ME. I come back from a ride, and my soul is happy. I would like to think I would feel that same way no matter what I'm riding, but the Vespa sporty and easy. I really like easy.

I'm guessing the OP here will come around with time. If he is smart enough to keep the Vespa AND his motorcycle. For now. Easy and entertaining to back and forth between those two wheel options.

Your Vespa isn't as fast and powerful as a bigger motorcycle? Well, no shit, Sherlock. The riding isn't always about fast and powerful, often it is about fun, finesse, and control. OR, and more to the point, if it is only about fast and powerful, what was the point of spending good money on the Vespa?

Hey, I understand nostalgia... I once came across a '69 Triumph Bonneville sitting on a used car lot. Snapped my head around. It was even the same color I had when I was a teenager. I taught the cute blonde that has been my wife for 49 years how to ride on that bike. She said, "Let's go back and look at it."

The salesman said, "We can't seem to get it to start, but I'm told it runs good."

I said, "Did you tickle the carbs?"

"Do what?" He had no idea. I tickled the carbs and the bike started on the first kick. I took it for a ride... it ruined all the wonderful nostalgia I had for that bike. It didn't handle or stop anything like the more modern Harley I was riding at the time.

Sometimes, you can't go back. But, if you can appreciate each machine for what it brings, there is no reason a person can't be completely delighted with a scooter and a motorcycle.

The OP moved from a Vespa to a motorcycle for the more visceral experience... it may take him some time to appreciate easy again.

Hard to get sympathy here for making what he thinks may have been a bad decision... we all think we made the right choice.
Appreciate your response, Captain Jim.

I think you hit the nail on the head with what you said about nostalgia. My original GTS was my first bike and the first vehicle I ever owned. I was so excited when purchasing it and felt ecstatic when riding it home from the dealership. I rode it all over town, in all kinds of weather, and thought it was one of (if not *the*) best purchases I had ever made. It gave me a sense of freedom that I had never experienced before. I remember going on my first long trip and thinking "wow, I can't believe I just…rode here." I was so enamored with what that little scoot could do.

I think part of me was hoping I'd have the exact same experience when purchasing it this time around so my expectations were unrealistically high.

Not sure how I'll end up feeling about this particular scoot, but I think you're right that it may take some time to really appreciate it for what it is. With my motorcycle, I enjoy the interactivity and visceral experience of the ride — I don't care about going fast or having a powerful engine. With the scoot, it may be more about the simplicity, convenience, and how "pure" of a riding experience it offers. Plus, it just looks so nice.

Anywho, I'll leave it that for now. Thanks again for your response.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
rolled.oats, I'm glad to see you haven't jumped ship! Clap emoticon
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
My original GTS was my first bike and the first vehicle I ever owned. I was so excited when purchasing it and felt ecstatic when riding it home from the dealership. I rode it all over town, in all kinds of weather, and thought it was one of (if not *the*) best purchases I had ever made. It gave me a sense of freedom that I had never experienced before. I remember going on my first long trip and thinking "wow, I can't believe I just…rode here." I was so enamored with what that little scoot could do.
This is the very reason why I still have my first motorcycle ever.

It is a 1971 Cimatti powered by a 50cc Franco Morini 2 strokes engine. A minibike my dad gave me when I was 6, almost 30 years ago.
I learnt to ride on it, I learnt to fall, I learnt to behave on a track with other riders even before I had the legal age to risk my and others lives on public roads.
And 5 years ago I restored it - I had used it in 1998 for the last time, cleaned the carb, the tank, did some minor works and she started at the first kick.

I think I had a dozen more bikes after that Cimatti and I sold them all - few of them I don't miss, many more I do miss, but if I sold the Cimatti I would never have forgiven myself.

There is a reason why we say "Le moto non si vendono, si comprano e basta" here in Italy: "You don't sell motorcycles, just keep buying them"
@spdtwn avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 & Sei Giorni 300 HPE

Hooked
@spdtwn avatar
MP3 250 & Sei Giorni 300 HPE
UTC quote
Feel like I made a huge mistake:

To quote the late Windsor Davies in 'It 'aint half hot Mum'

"Oh dear, how sad, never mind."
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
Appreciate your response, Captain Jim.

I think you hit the nail on the head with what you said about nostalgia. My original GTS was my first bike and the first vehicle I ever owned. I was so excited when purchasing it and felt ecstatic when riding it home from the dealership. I rode it all over town, in all kinds of weather, and thought it was one of (if not *the*) best purchases I had ever made. It gave me a sense of freedom that I had never experienced before. I remember going on my first long trip and thinking "wow, I can't believe I just…rode here." I was so enamored with what that little scoot could do.

I think part of me was hoping I'd have the exact same experience when purchasing it this time around so my expectations were unrealistically high.

Not sure how I'll end up feeling about this particular scoot, but I think you're right that it may take some time to really appreciate it for what it is. With my motorcycle, I enjoy the interactivity and visceral experience of the ride — I don't care about going fast or having a powerful engine. With the scoot, it may be more about the simplicity, convenience, and how "pure" of a riding experience it offers. Plus, it just looks so nice.

Hey, nice to see you are back... In all honesty, I thought you were just pulling my legs, but I'm glad I was wrong..

For lots of people, a scooter is their first experience of freedom (as being able to move and explore more), but let me ask you this:

With your new "motorcycle" (that I would love to know what it is), do you still:
1) ride it all over town
2) in all kind of weather

and more importantly, do you still get that sense of freedom??

I quote:
Quote:
At a certain point, I realized I missed the convenience of the Vespa — the storage, the ease of use, the excellent local mechanic, etc. My motorcycle is a lot of fun but, for a variety of reasons, the ownership experience is a lot more cumbersome than the Vespa's.
Is any of the above changed, since your first post?

Use the Vespa for what it was designed for, and use what ever the other motorcycle is, to get the new kicks you seem to starving from...

Perhaps your third bike will fulfil all your needs, but considering how young you are to this experience, I wouldn't count on it...
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
rolled.oats wrote:
Good job we're not all shrinks, you'd have to sell that shiny new Vespa to pay your bill

Good to see you're not a one post wonder, stick around!

A Vespa's for life, not just for Christmas!
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
To start, it doesn't have to be a Vespa. Then ... well ... we'll see.
(PS: we are three Italians in this topic )
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
It seems to me that the OP is dependent on the validation of others to be happy.
Validation is nice, but internal happiness comes from how you feel on your own.
My Vespa thrills me greatly when I am alone.
Any external recognition or validation is the cream on top.

I have never had as many smiles from all manner of people (particularly the ladies)
on any of my motorcycles as I have received riding my Vespas.
Strangers even come up to me and say "I love the colour!" to open the conversation.

I have even had a lady follow me in her SUV to a coffee shop to get a longer look...
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
I went to Vermont a week ago and trailed the scooter up there. My brother in law (from here on referred to as BIL) has a beautiful Triumph motorcycle. Anyone with eyes admires it. We went out for a nice long ride to the Appalachian Gap, then grab some food. All this to say people stopped and complimented him on his beautiful ride. One guy, actually spent more time talking to me about mine because he couldn't believe "a little scooter" would be able to keep up. At the end of the day, I didn't care that my bil got all the attention. I love my ride. I hope to get a Vespa one day, but what I've got serves my purpose. It's -to some extent- about perspective.
Triumph
Triumph
Green Goblin
Green Goblin
The two.
The two.
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@mauro150lx avatar
UTC quote
If that's the new Bobber, I never liked the ride experience, it's too sluggish in corners...the Thruxton R handles much better!
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
I grew up there and it's crazy - I immediately recognized the scenery, despite likely never being at that specific location
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
xantufrog wrote:
I grew up there and it's crazy - I immediately recognized the scenery, despite likely never being at that specific location
Do you recognize this?
App Gap
App Gap
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Do you recognize this?
No, I'm not sure I've ever been on the Appalachian Gap route - but there's just something about the scenery that screams VT.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
UTC quote
I can sympathize with rolled.oats a lot. My first Vespa was a GS150, the most beautiful Vespa ever built, and I often remember the fun I had on it and wish I still had it. But I could never enjoy riding one again, with drum brakes and only 8 hp, after enjoying my much modded GTS300 with about 24 hp, Bitubo suspension, Frando brake calipers. I would just use it as a sitting room ornament!

Now a GS150 body with a kitted PX200E engine, that would be another matter.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
I can sympathize with rolled.oats a lot. My first Vespa was a GS150, the most beautiful Vespa ever built, and I often remember the fun I had on it and wish I still had it. But I could never enjoy riding one again, with drum brakes and only 8 hp, after enjoying my much modded GTS300 with about 24 hp, Bitubo suspension, Frando brake calipers. I would just use it as a sitting room ornament!

Now a GS150 body with a kitted PX200E engine, that would be another matter.
Hey Mike, to derail the thread a bit, did you do anything in the transmission department? Malossi kit?, different rollers?, different clutch?...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0273s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0046s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]