@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Wrecked '61 VNB '65 Allstate '74 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
4) Haven't really decided. I'm assuming they make one that fits bc I just pulled this one outta the battery tray, which is weird bc it was apparently being used in the previous femsa configuration.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Oh sure, the old Lang Fang Kokusan regulator, I'd know it anywhere... Did that come with the stator kit? Just trying to understand if it is meant to go with the rest of this stuff or not.

Wiser people than me should hopefully know what battery is going to work. I don't see how that ETX9-BS fit into the stock battery holder.

OK so you got this harness from SIP which is for a Rally with bar-end indicators. That's the same one I got, more or less. IIUC, it is a Euro harness with indicator wiring added. Given that it has that wiring, why don't you just go ahead and put bar ends on it? Personally I just think it's safer to have them than not. Up to you.

I see the diagram that was included with the harness shows the indicator switch on the left handlebar, key/kill switch on the frame below the seat, etc. Is that how your bike was from stock? I can't remember what the 1974 is like, I have a 76.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to think through what is going to be the best diagram to work with as you move forward.
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
autojack wrote:
Oh sure, the old Lang Fang Kokusan regulator, I'd know it anywhere.
I know, I know… I shoulda went with the Longdong fuk uson, but I cheaped out and went with the knockoff.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson after the debacle I went though with that Romex watch.

No worries about the questions, I appreciate you taking the time to ask them.

The battery was mounted sideways.

Bike has key switch under seat. It has 4 terminals on the back.

The light switch I have is this one:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/light-switch_60091000

Which I'm now realizing doesn't have a kill switch Facepalm emoticon

I may need to rectify (RECTIFY, get it?) that mistake.

Oh, and the bar ends wouldn't make me legal here anyway. Besides I'm so used to hand signals I probably wouldn't use em anyway.

The rectifier came with the kit.

This kit:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/conversion-kit-12v-e-ignition_50019J00
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Can you give a link to where you got the regulator? I need to understand how it needs to be wired up.
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
The regulator was included with the kit i linked to in my previous post.

The description of the kit refers to a "conversion loom" which I'm assuming is this:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/wiring-loom-sip-premium-conversion-to-e-ignition-ducati-sip-performance-vape-ac_86135257?q=Rally%20200%20conversion
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Ohhhhkay, got it. This is making more sense. It does seem like that conversion harness you linked to would be right. It's annoying that they don't show a diagram of it, but then I guess that would be giving away the secret sauce, you could just make one. I see on the wiring loom page it mentions you might need some new switches.

So your kit has a "modified PX 200" stator plate, and presumably a compatible regulator. Look at the first wiring diagram on https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/pages/VSX1T.px200.html Does it seem like that would match your stator and regulator?

I don't know P range bikes at all, so someone more experienced than me might need to weigh in about the path forward. If you are basically turning the bike into PX electrics, I'm not sure what will be required to finalize it.

I suppose exchanging the loom for the right one with SIP is out of the question. Shipping both ways would probably equal the cost of the new loom.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
I have the same harness for a Germany Rally 200. If you have already installed the hardness, i am curious how you routed it between chassis and headset. There is junction there and one split goes to switch/headlight and the other goes to handlebar switch. There is a big knot there. Did you place the knot between the chassis and headset? above headset? or below chassis? hope the made sense. That knot is so big and i think un-passable at the chassis and headset.
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
Sorry for the late response guys. Drove all day yesterday. Camping today.
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
autojack wrote:
Ohhhhkay, got it. This is making more sense. It does seem like that conversion harness you linked to would be right. It's annoying that they don't show a diagram of it, but then I guess that would be giving away the secret sauce, you could just make one. I see on the wiring loom page it mentions you might need some new switches.

So your kit has a "modified PX 200" stator plate, and presumably a compatible regulator. Look at the first wiring diagram on https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/pages/VSX1T.px200.html Does it seem like that would match your stator and regulator?

I don't know P range bikes at all, so someone more experienced than me might need to weigh in about the path forward. If you are basically turning the bike into PX electrics, I'm not sure what will be required to finalize it.

I suppose exchanging the loom for the right one with SIP is out of the question. Shipping both ways would probably equal the cost of the new loom.
Man, I looked at SOOOO many wiring diagrams… p200e, p150x, p125, even smallframe. Bloody hell.

I'm starting to think that what I thought was a dc rectifier is actually just a 12v regulator, and that the conversion kit I have is intended to be used in a batteryless application.

The only diagram I found with a regulator similar to what I have is this one:

https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.no.battery.pdf

2 yellows and a black.

The wire colors coming off the stator seem to also seem to match the stator I have (red white green blue black).
⚠️ Last edited by macgerk77 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
GickSpeed wrote:
I have the same harness for a Germany Rally 200. If you have already installed the hardness, i am curious how you routed it between chassis and headset. There is junction there and one split goes to switch/headlight and the other goes to handlebar switch. There is a big knot there. Did you place the knot between the chassis and headset? above headset? or below chassis? hope the made sense. That knot is so big and i think un-passable at the chassis and headset.
When I got the bike it was wired up with all these loose white wires. I left one in place running from the headset through the tunnel to under the tank.

I taped the headset end of the harness to the white wire where it emerged from the tunnel underneath the tank.

Then I just pulled the white wire from the headset end. I had it attached really well to the harness, so I was able to really reef on it. When I got near the headset I think I had to do some finagling by reaching up under the horncast. I had the fork already off, which helped in that regard.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
Man, I looked at SOOOO many wiring diagrams… p200e, p150x, p125, even smallframe. Bloody hell.

I'm starting to think that what I thought was a dc rectifier is actually just a 12v regulator, and that the conversion kit I have is intended to be used in a batteryless application.

The only diagram I found with a regulator similar to what I have is this one:

https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.no.battery.pdf

2 yellows and a black.

The wire colors coming off the stator seem to match also.
Yep. AC is double yellow with a black ground. DC would have double yellow, a DC output (red or grey on the OG rectifiers) and then ground.

If you need help, mail me the harness and I'll figure it out for you. Little time with a multimeter and I'll draw out what goes where. Just send me some Seattle beer with it.
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
Nother regulator pic
this is a standard 3 pole AC regulator, by the looks of it. power in, power out, ground. the brand is not so standard, but you've already covered that.
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
OK, so SIP says your stator is a modified version of the PX200. Your picture of the wiring pigtail coming off it:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

matches the diagram for the PX200 *without battery* which seems odd but OK:

https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.px200e.nobatt.pdf Note that on this diagram, the dashed black line is the white wire. However, this diagram shows the regulator and rectifier being separate units, which isn't how an original Rally works. I assume your unit is a combined regulator/rectifier. So you can basically ignore the rectifier in this diagram and imagine DC coming out of the unit.

Your regulator, as others have said, is a three pole AC unit. Your photo:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I note that the AC in/out terminals have a yellow sticker, but are stamped G. Is the G for green, or gray? Well, the regulator on the diagram for a PX200 *with battery* indeed has two gray connections: https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSX1T.px200e.batt.pdf

Am I making things more, or less, confusing? Oh, and I just remembered, that shitty German wiring diagram does not show how some colors of wire join or branch from one to two at the junctions in the harness. The Scooterhelp PDF diagrams make that a little clearer, but I also had to untape my SIP harness to figure some of that out.

Here is my reading of how this should wire up. Looking at External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

The yellow from here goes through to the other side of the chassis and connects to the regulator. This end of it connects to your junction box on top of the engine. It should join with the blue from your stator. That's blue AC out from the stator, joined to yellow in the junction box, then going into the regulator/rectifier. (Yellow is "gelb" on the German wiring diagram you have.)

The green, red, and white wires from the stator should go to the corresponding terminals on your new CDI. Black from the stator should ground to the chassis.

But now I come to where your harness doesn't match the rest of the AC and ignition setup. I'm referencing this diagram for the original setup of your bike, which should be the same as mine: https://www.scooterhelp.com/electrics/wiring/VSE1.wKey.Batt.Blinks.B1977.pdf

The harness coming out of the chassis should have a green for the headlight (which is AC on the rally, driven through the key switch by its own coil on the stator) and a purple for the key/kill switch, if it matched your original wiring, but it only has a green. I have looked at your harness, the German diagram, and the Scooterhelp diagrams, and I can't figure out how your key and kill switch should wire up to the stator and regulator you have. And then with the confusion of the German wiring diagram, I can't make sense of where those other chassis wire colors you have should go. From the PX diagram, it looks like there should be a green wire from the key switch directly to the CDI, which then has a jumper to the stator, and that is how the ignition kill works.

OK I'm going to stop talking now... I think we need some knowledge of the stator you have in order to figure out how to land this thing. Maybe ask SIP for a diagram of that, or maybe someone else here who knows the PX electrics can weigh in.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
When I got the bike it was wired up with all these loose white wires. I left one in place running from the headset through the tunnel to under the tank.

I taped the headset end of the harness to the white wire where it emerged from the tunnel underneath the tank.

Then I just pulled the white wire from the headset end. I had it attached really well to the harness, so I was able to really reef on it. When I got near the headset I think I had to do some finagling by reaching up under the horncast. I had the fork already off, which helped in that regard.
I have the version of this harness with the kill switch on top of the headset. Using a Pinasco ignition mounted onto a FEMSA crank. You have a much more simplified loom at the headset with no switch there. I found the dimensions of the loom to be very off; distance between the wires for the horn and the junction of the switch/switch/headlight is much too long.

For now, I am going to power the DC side off the original 6v rectifier and the AC side off unregulated 12v AC. Will see what happens there but unlikely to go unregulated.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
Well I haven't been entirely idle with this bike…

MJrally was a big help with my wiring harness, indispensable really. The guy's a real credit to the vintage community.

While I was stalled out on the harness, I was actually able to hook up the carb and exhaust, as well as a makeshift fuel tank, and actually got the motor fired up out of the frame, on the stand. Now THAT felt good!!

This week I got the reworked harness pulled through the frame, and got the motor mounted. I forgot what a wretched PITA putting a motor in by yourself is. That damn swingarm bolt!

Anyway, next week I'll install the fork, hook up the CDI and cables, then see bout getting that harness hooked up.
Finally! Visible progress!
Finally! Visible progress!
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
Got the fork and headset installed. All cables are attached to their relative controls at the headset. When I wake up, wheels are going on, gas tank installed, and I'm gonna look at hooking up the harness.

It's starting to look like a scooter again
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

72 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
That's such a great feeling, like you can see the finish line, even if you know you still have a ton of work to do.
@grandpanate avatar
UTC

Hooked
'71 Rally 180,'81 P200, 1979 Vespa 90(125), 2023 Ducati Scrambler Pro Stealth

Hooked
@grandpanate avatar
UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
I remember the last biggish build I did, about mid way through the put together part, my excitement started to drift away a bit. Then one night after putting some of the bigger parts onI looked back at the lift and the bike and BAM excitement hit again! That feeling of a big project looking like progress has been made is pretty freakin cool!
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
And the best part is when you've crossed a big hurdle(like motor in the frame), it suddenly looks like all gremlins are solved and all the required parts on hand. Go Mac, GO!
and speaking of required parts, take a look at what Mac has here to build a PROPER Rally200!
and speaking of required parts, take a look at what Mac has here to build a PROPER Rally200!
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
That's such a great feeling
GrandpaNate wrote:
! That feeling of a big project looking like progress has been made is pretty freakin cool!
This is gonna sound pretty dorky but just turning the bars and watching the fork turn, twisting the throttle and seeing the cable move at the motor put a big smile on me.

It's like I was channeling my 9 year old self, standing in front of that Pole Position arcade cabinet at the front of the grocery store; ain't got no quarters, but I'm spinning that wheel like mad, grinning like an idiot…
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
V oodoo wrote:

Ack!! You ratted me out!
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
Had an interesting text message conversation with MJrally today as I was working on my scooter… discussing what I thought was clever solution to a problem I'd solved:

Me: "I have more 'Aww Fuck!' moments than 'Aha!' moments, so I'll take 'em where I can get 'em"

Him: "Speaking of 'aww fuck' it looks like your fly side seal is installed backwards

Me: "I'll check"

I pull the flywheel and check

Me: <out loud> "AWWW FUCK!!"

So… yeah the shop I took the cases to to extract the bearing race, and had install the bearings n seals, they put my seal in BACKWARDS.

After MJ pointed it out to me and I had some time to think about it, I remember when I picked it up from the shop thinking, "Huh, glad I took it to them, I woulda screwed it up and installed the other way." You know… what turned out to be the CORRECT way.

Oh, and it turns out pulling that seal when the cases are assembled and the crank installed is a real pain in the balls.

So, I'm stalled out again til I get another seal shipped.
Deja vu all over again
Deja vu all over again
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
Now the head scratcher - did they flip the clutch seal also?!?
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
That would suuuuuuck…
@grandpanate avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@grandpanate avatar
UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
Now that would be incredibly not cool......
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
I hated to be the one to ask but you've gotta wonder. And it's not so easy to determine. Facepalm emoticon
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
sdjohn wrote:
I hated to be the one to ask but you've gotta wonder. And it's not so easy to determine. Facepalm emoticon
Pressure test. Or, even better, Santeria sacrifice followed by pressure test.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
I was totally thinking that last night but didn't want to be the one to say it first ROFL emoticon

I was thinking, could someone install a clutchside seal backwards? It's kind of domed shape so any hitting surface would dent/ distort the seal, which might cause Doofus mechanic to realize they're wrong? So I'm thinking the odds of them doing it right are better than if they did it wrong?
The pic that started it all….
The pic that started it all….
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
This whole subplot is giving off strong "50/50 chance that goes against you 75% of the time" vibes. Just sayin'.
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
This whole subplot is giving off strong "50/50 chance that goes against you 75% of the time" vibes. Just sayin'.
@kowalski avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe

Addicted
@kowalski avatar
2005 Stellalossi 177 Fe
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
I was thinking, could someone install a clutchside seal backwards? It's kind of domed shape so any hitting surface would dent/ distort the seal, which might cause Doofus mechanic to realize they're wrong? So I'm thinking the odds of them doing it right are better than if they did it wrong?
Doofus raises hand. And yes, at least on a PX/Stella, you will realize your mistake because the crankshaft won't rotate.
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
I was totally thinking that last night but didn't want to be the one to say it first
Says the cheerful harbinger of doom…
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Johnny Two Tone

Johnny Two Tone
@sdjohn avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
You know… did some more thinking about… thought maybe I'd put this seal in, maybe forgot that I was the one… Nah not a chance… it was the fly side bearing race that was stuck, that I took the cases into the shop for in the first place. Still can't get my head around how they screwed the pooch on something this basic
OP
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@macgerk77 avatar
UTC quote
Oh, and also after the bearing/seal/crank installation there was this extra part, a springy clippy metal c-shaped jobber.
Probably not important, right?
Probably not important, right?
@autojack avatar
UTC

Addicted
'76 Vespa Rally 200

Addicted
@autojack avatar
'76 Vespa Rally 200
UTC quote
Looks like the one for the gear stack.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
That's the clip for the clutch bearing. Goes between the bearing and the clutch seal…
Although a dummy bearing, you get the point…
Although a dummy bearing, you get the point…
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
macgerk77 wrote:
Oh, and also after the bearing/seal/crank installation there was this extra part, a springy clippy metal c-shaped jobber.
He's just lining up his next job repairing your trashed bearing seat for you. Clever of him to be thinking ahead like that... Facepalm emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0309s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0223s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]