UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
FROM TURKEY
AND İSTANBUL
VESPA GTS 250 AND 2013 MODELS

hello 2013 model vespa gts 250. While coming to the end of a long journey, a sound that did not exist before started to appear. This noise only happens when driving at a certain speed. When driving at 70 to 80 km/h, there is a rubbing sound, like the sound of a caterpillar beetle. once the variator bowl was changed, the sound decreased and ended. It started again after 4 months and I changed a variator bowl again, it decreased again, but now it came again. This problem made me tired of driving a Vespa. no master could find the reason. there is also a repulsive sound that looks like a wheeze when driving at 10 km and 40 km speed at takeoff, as if the variator has dispersed. This sound stops when it reaches 41 km. It goes very well up to 80 and this time at 80 km speed, the sound I mentioned above comes out. I took it to 7 technical service centers in my country. they are all incompetent masters. I'm going to buy a camera to add videos soon. but the related sound is similar to this sound at 80 km. I don't think it will come from anywhere else. because the sound stopped when the variator bowl was changed 2 times. it means there is a problem with the variator.

@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Welcome to MV, demefe!

Was the YouTube clip supposed to be of the sound your variator is making? All I hear is crickets.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
demefe wrote:
there is also a repulsive sound that looks like a wheeze when driving at 10 km and 40 km speed at takeoff, as if the variator has dispersed.
It's difficult to make a proper diagnosis of sounds via a text description even in the best of circumstances. When you add a language barrier to the equation, it's even harder.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of problem you're describing in the first part of your post, However, this second part -- the part of your description quoted above, and specifically at takeoff -- this sounds like a clutch problem, not a variator problem. The GT200 was especially susceptible to this problem, but I don't think the GTS is completely immune to it. When it happens, it sounds like a metal chair being dragged across a hard floor, and the clutch fails to engage.

If this is actually a clutch problem, then the solution is to de-glaze the clutch shoes. Some light sanding with 100-grit sandpaper should do the trick. It's also worth cleaning out the inside of the clutch bell, and possibly roughing up the inside surface with some scotch-brite pads.
OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
Welcome to MV, demefe!

Was the YouTube clip supposed to be of the sound your variator is making? All I hear is crickets.
Yes you are right. This was an example for the sound that came out. I will buy a camera for the sound coming out of the engine and record the sound on that camera. thank you
OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
jess wrote:
It's difficult to make a proper diagnosis of sounds via a text description even in the best of circumstances. When you add a language barrier to the equation, it's even harder.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of problem you're describing in the first part of your post, However, this second part -- the part of your description quoted above, and specifically at takeoff -- this sounds like a clutch problem, not a variator problem. The GT200 was especially susceptible to this problem, but I don't think the GTS is completely immune to it. When it happens, it sounds like a metal chair being dragged across a hard floor, and the clutch fails to engage.

If this is actually a clutch problem, then the solution is to de-glaze the clutch shoes. Some light sanding with 100-grit sandpaper should do the trick. It's also worth cleaning out the inside of the clutch bell, and possibly roughing up the inside surface with some scotch-brite pads.
typing yes unfortunately does not work. Vespa masters in my country know nothing. I will immediately investigate the clutch problem you mentioned.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Here's a wiki article on the clutch subject, accumulated from many years of this issue from many people:

FAQ: Shudder, graunching noise on take-off? Sealion?
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
Hello Vespa loving people. My variator problem is solved. It was solved simply. How Does? First of all, the problem was this: 3 years ago, when I was driving at 80 km, suddenly a noise started to come. this sound is like the sound of a caterpillar beetle:( the variator bowl was changed, the sound stopped. It started again after 100 km. I never thought to change the front variator mounts. Unfortunately, the master did not think of it this sound is only heard when driving at 80 km speed. 70 or 90 km It doesn't come off while driving at speed. My advice to you: if you have a problem with the variator, change the straps temporarily. This may be 80 percent of the reason. Right now, my engine just screams a lot, it makes a lot of noise. Unfortunately, this time I'm obsessed with it
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
Wow you had to post this 3 times Facepalm emoticon
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I recognise there may be translation difficulties - but what is meant by 'front variator mounts' and then the 'straps' that are mentioned?
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
Perhaps this YT may help our friend:

OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
super-fly wrote:
Wow you had to post this 3 times Facepalm emoticon
I wrote it without realizing it. I am writing with translate. my english is very bad. but when the front variator mounts were replaced, the rattle-like sound disappeared. But the engine makes a lot of noise. As if there is an exhaust problem or I did not fill the transmission oil or engine oil correctly. This is the first time I've done this myself. When you give gas, there is a violent acceleration. It's like I have a rally engine
@panamaniac avatar
UTC

Addicted
2003 Piaggio BV 200, 2003 ET2 (sold)

Addicted
@panamaniac avatar
2003 Piaggio BV 200, 2003 ET2 (sold)
UTC quote
Sounds like you're still having problems, yes? Can you please post another video showing the sound and location?
OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
variator mounts changed. I don't know how "baga" translates, but I uploaded a photo. The sound between 10 - 40 km and it only travels at 80 km speed, the other sound is completely silent. Thank God. But now it's a different problem. the engine is running at too much volume. I will check the transmission oil. Variator cleaning is very important. Constant cleaning is required.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The very loud engine may just be the exhaust 'gasket' (graphite collar) between the downpipe and the silencer ('muffler') that has given up. They are consumables - always keep a spare!
OP
@demefe avatar
UTC

vespa gts 250 (2013)

@demefe avatar
vespa gts 250 (2013)
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
The very loud engine may just be the exhaust 'gasket' (graphite collar) between the downpipe and the silencer ('muffler') that has given up. They are consumables - always keep a spare!
Thanks...I will check it.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
demefe wrote:
variator mounts changed. I don't know how "baga" translates, but I uploaded a photo.
Ah, those would be "rollers"

Agree on checking the exhaust. Sometimes possible to feel a leak (don't touch if hot!), also check torque on the fastening bolt....but don't overtighten! Assuming the graphite collar is worn, it's not all that hard to change....plenty of information and help here..
@touring300 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento

Ossessionato
@touring300 avatar
GTS 300ie Touring 2013 - Signora D'argento
UTC quote
Panamaniac wrote:
Can you please post another video showing the sound and location?
^^^^^^^ This.
It will help eliminate guesswork and supposition.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1024s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0905s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]