OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 MP3 500

Lurker
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
I have a 2009 Piaggio MP3. Over the years whatever rain cover I have used has at some point caused a rubber turn signal in the front or back to snap off from wind pressure so it is just hanging by the electric wires. Any suggestions what to do to stop this when stored outside with cover on? Periodically replacing a turn signal adds up
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Do you mean the cover is causing the problem or the weather is causing the problem? I assume you mean the latter? In that case there is not much you can do about it that I can think of. Possibly keeping the rubber bits coated with armor all or some similar product.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Well, one solution might be to consider wiring up the stock signals, and ditch the DOT ones completely. It's a bit more involved of course, but it would solve the problem.
UTC

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business

Molto Verboso
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
UTC quote
I'm missing something here. How can rain or wind make a turn indicator fall off?

The way I'm reading this is that the turn indicator gets broken due to (installation and/or removal) of the cover, which indicates a user problem not a bike problem.

Perhaps the right question to ask here is exactly which cover is being used? Universal bike covers are probably going to be very tight if not too tight especially up front.
⚠️ Last edited by sbaert on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Why use a rain cover? They are designed to live outside after all...
OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 MP3 500

Lurker
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
The wind is enough pressure on the cover to dislocate the rubber connections of turn signals on my bike. Are there metal alternative signals I can buy for this bike? I ordered the co we from Europe butithas yet to arrive. I was told since ordering it the the European does not have the same rubber turn signals. Is that true?
UTC

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport

Hooked
2019 MP3 500 Sport
UTC quote
another alternative will be minimalist (yet bright) LED turn signals. I did that on my BMW R1100S but the matching wasn't easy. they are much sturdier give the minimalist geometry. Never broke a turn signal again.

Other than that, a stretchy cover that is not as baggy may help - I like Gezagear covers.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500
UTC quote
Foam pipe insulation over the turn signals when storing to reduce the pressure
Possibly the size for 3/4 pipe inside of a larger size foam or pvc pipe
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Lurker
2008 Piaggio MP3

Lurker
2008 Piaggio MP3
UTC quote
allyn12341234 wrote:
I have a 2009 Piaggio MP3. Over the years whatever rain cover I have used has at some point caused a rubber turn signal in the front or back to snap off from wind pressure so it is just hanging by the electric wires. Any suggestions what to do to stop this when stored outside with cover on? Periodically replacing a turn signal adds up
I changed mine to some BMW F 650 GS 2000-2007 knockoffs. Not LED so just plug and play! They fit perfect, very sturdy, look great and are cheap at $20 a pair. They come with either smoke or clear lenses. My MP3 wears a cover every night and it gets very windy here.......
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0131s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]