OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Hey all,

I'm getting a new one and selling my old one. I've never sold one before and am curious about others' experience and advice. Do I take cash only? Would Venmo be safe? Can I sell to a buyer who doesn't have a motorcycle license. (I'm in New York City and the law says one must have a motorcycle license for my LX150)

Any advice or cautionary tales are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
@nickih75 avatar
UTC

Vespa primavera 150

@nickih75 avatar
Vespa primavera 150
UTC quote
I've never sold a bike. Heck I don't even have my first one in my possession yet.
What I can tell you is Venmo has a limit of like $250 for payments.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Thanks for that. I think that's the limit if you aren't verified. I know it's $6999.00 weekly if you are. I'm unsure if it's safe from chargebacks though. Would hate to have someone take the scooter and then take the money back too. Trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I suppose good old cash is the safest way.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I, also, haven't sold a bike but I have purchased two on Craigslist. Most say no to test rides without cash in hand. No cash, no sale. AKA-Cash talks, BS walks. Make it nice and clean and leave it cold, if possible, so the prospective buyer can see that it starts right up without issue.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I, also, haven't sold a bike but I have purchased two on Craigslist. Most say no to test rides without cash in hand. No cash, no sale. AKA-Cash talks, BS walks. Make it nice and clean and leave it cold, if possible, so the prospective buyer can see that it starts right up without issue.
That's brilliant. I wouldn't have thought of that and was wondering how to navigate the test ride. Thank you. Also for having it start cold to show how well it's working.
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Red Devil SH150i (10,000)

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
States are different. Florida titles have a tear off section to verify sale. We can go to the title department and release our responsibility for the bike. Just in case.
UTC

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
From my experience.

You will be disappointed in what your bike is worth because it isn't very much. Advertise on Craig's List and start off at whatever price you want. If the phone doesn't ring, drop the price and keep doing that until it does ring. You are going to need at least 10 phone calls and conversations before you get someone to buy it. Point is to make the phone ring and that's all contingent on price. A bike priced for what it's really worth will be gone in 2 to 3 days, anywhere in the country.

If the guy has a motorcycle endorsement on his license, he's probably a good enough rider to safely test ride your bike. No endorsement, no test ride. Tell him to bring a friend that's licensed and he can test ride it for him.

Take cash only.

Go with the buyer to the county office where titles are recorded and do the title transfer there. Do not turn over the bike until it is officially transferred. You don't want the liability of him riding around on a bike still in your name.
@xantufrog avatar
UTC

Moderibbit
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera

Moderibbit
@xantufrog avatar
1980 P200E - "Old Rusty", 1976 ET3 Primavera
UTC quote
I've only sold one, but I tried to be a straight shooter and feel them out for honesty too.

Cash, and don't let them ride it unless you're sure they know how and you've given them the "break it you buy it" talk.

But they aren't really obligated... Remember that. Until they own it, they could dump it on their test and walk on the deal, and then your only recourse is through legal channels. So I'm very cautious about letting someone else ride my bike.

Make photocopies of everything, and sign the title transfer and Bill of Sale together, so that it's theirs and not yours when they leave, and YOU can prove it.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
absolutely no test rides without cash in hand and a motorcycle endorsement. you drop it it's yours.

print off a bill of sale (your DMV should have one online) sign all the documents and be sure to fill out the release of liability.

ask to see ID and YOU fill out the paperwork.

personally, I would only take cash.

meet someplace public, like a Starbucks or grocery store parking lot. bring a friend. be prepared to haggle.

that's about it.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I've sold about six bikes on CL, and have a few tips.

Don't advertise your phone number. Every bored dreamer seems to offer a low price by voice or text without any interest in actually seeing it. Give your number after they invest time emailing you through CL.
Don't let some scammer talk you into a vehicle history report. It involves you buying a report from a suggested "bargain" agency who needs a credit card number. Oh yeah!
When you do agree to meet, don't expect them to show up. I ask them to call before coming over to make sure I'm home so the ball's in their court.
Do be patient with non-locals who seem genuine. I had a Hollywood writer drive 250 miles to pick up the last bike I sold, and a guy much further away was sorry to miss the deal.
Be sure to notify the state of your release of title. In CA that can be done online or by mail.
I once failed to do that and got a ticket in the mail.
Get that insurance refund!
I hope you have a good experience.
UTC

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300

Enthusiast
2023 Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Topolino wrote:
Do be patient with non-locals who seem genuine. I had a Hollywood writer drive 250 miles to pick up the last bike I sold, and a guy much further away was sorry to miss the deal.

Agree on this point also. People will travel for a bike they want.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
joehouston wrote:
Agree on this point also. People will travel for a bike they want.
I hadn't thought of that but will definitely keep it in mind. The good news is I'm in no rush to sell it other than that it will obviously be harder to sell in the winter.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Cl is good, but I have had better luck with FB Marketplace. So, clean it up, take lots of pics and enter all the maintenance info. Mention you have a clean title for it (you would be surprised how many sellers don't have a title) and enter a fair price with only cash accepted. If you don't want to take in a trade, mention that as well or you will get hounded by those trying to peddle off junk for your scoot. Again enter cash only (some people don't get it or read the add fully) and all test rides need a motorcycle certification on their license as well as a full deposit. Lastly, set up all meetings in a police station parking lot. All of my dealings are done there and I get there early to notify them that I am outside and what I am up too. Most police station officers are cool with this. This is good for the seller as well as the buyer. If you do the deal and need the title notarized, get that figured out ahead of time. All banks have one around, but so do many shipping places like UPS stores. If all this is a problem for a potential seller, quit the deal and move onto to the next one. You are going to go thru some flak, but you will find the right person for your scoot. Good luck
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Cl is good, but I have had better luck with FB Marketplace. So, clean it up, take lots of pics and enter all the maintenance info. Mention you have a clean title for it (you would be surprised how many sellers don't have a title) and enter a fair price with only cash accepted. If you don't want to take in a trade, mention that as well or you will get hounded by those trying to peddle off junk for your scoot. Again enter cash only (some people don't get it or read the add fully) and all test rides need a motorcycle certification on their license as well as a full deposit. Lastly, set up all meetings in a police station parking lot. All of my dealings are done there and I get there early to notify them that I am outside and what I am up too. Most police station officers are cool with this. This is good for the seller as well as the buyer. If you do the deal and need the title notarized, get that figured out ahead of time. All banks have one around, but so do many shipping places like UPS stores. If all this is a problem for a potential seller, quit the deal and move onto to the next one. You are going to go thru some flak, but you will find the right person for your scoot. Good luck
Thanks for that detailed response! Good advice through and through. Got my new Vespa today (75th anniversary GTS) and am surprised by how sentimental I am about selling my older baby.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
Someone who is serious will have their helmet with them.
I usually make prospective buyers write me an email or FB message as a way to filter out the numbnuts
@mr-blazer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150; SS180

Hooked
@mr-blazer avatar
Primavera 150; SS180
UTC quote
Wait, nobody is suggesting to list it here? I bought one of mine from here.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
mr-blazer wrote:
Wait, nobody is suggesting to list it here? I bought one of mine from here.
I did list it today. Thanks for the suggestion. You never know.
@rgk avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS Super

Hooked
@rgk avatar
2021 GTS Super
UTC quote
nyactor wrote:
Hey all,

I'm getting a new one and selling my old one. I've never sold one before and am curious about others' experience and advice. Do I take cash only? Would Venmo be safe? Can I sell to a buyer who doesn't have a motorcycle license. (I'm in New York City and the law says one must have a motorcycle license for my LX150)

Any advice or cautionary tales are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
In God we trust, all others pay cash. No ride until you have cash in hand. Buyer's responsibility to obey licensing law.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I don't think it is the seller's responsibility to ensure the buyer has a proper mc license. If it is then we are screwed.

Yes. Cash in your hand before a test ride.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If it's a paypal product, like Venmo, they can usually unwind it. Zelle can't be reversed. Cashier's checks usually can't, but if someone sends you one, it's almost guaranteed to be fake. If someone is out of the area and wants to buy it sight unseen, know ahead of time what information you need to give them so they can wire money into your account. That is something else they can't unwind.
No test rides, no matter what. You will sell it just as well without offering one, and won't be left with some soccer mom filing an insurance claim against you because the hilljack with the motorcycle endorsement who gave you a wad of cash drove into the side of a minivan on your scooter.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
No test rides, no matter what. You will sell it just as well without offering one, and won't be left with some soccer mom filing an insurance claim against you because the hilljack with the motorcycle endorsement who gave you a wad of cash drove into the side of a minivan on your scooter.
I have to disagree with this statement.

It takes two to tango, and if you don't trust me with testing it, (after I have given you in cash the value of the vehicle you asked as bond, why would I trust you in believing your selling story? Sorry, no test ride, no sales! Simple as that. I don't ask you to trust me, so please don't ask me to gamble by buying something without having a clue of the state of the merchandise!

Sure, there are lots of bad dishonest people out there, but they still are the minority by large..

If cash is an issue, take a friend with you or give the key and licence of the vehicle you drove there to the person while they test your scooter...

It goes without saying that: "Chi rompe paga, e i cocci sono suoi"
@breaknwind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@breaknwind avatar
UTC quote
When I sold the red BV, I held the $500 insurance deductible for the test ride. I know that not everybody has full coverage on the bikes they sell.
@dark avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV 300 - GTS 300

Enthusiast
@dark avatar
GTV 300 - GTS 300
UTC quote
I agree with the no test ride without cash in hand. Too much liability on you if they wreck your bike or crash into someone/something.
You can offer to ride it up & down the street for them so they can see it is operational.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Dark wrote:
You can offer to ride it up & down the street for them so they can see it is operational.
That's how you sell vacuum cleaners, not bikes..
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
It takes two to tango, and if you don't trust me with testing it, (after I have given you in cash the value of the vehicle you asked as bond, why would I trust you in believing your selling story? Sorry, no test ride, no sales! Simple as that. I don't ask you to trust me, so please don't ask me to gamble by buying something without having a clue of the state of the merchandise!

That's okay. Someone else will buy it. That's how it's always worked out before. For everyone that wants to test ride it or make a laundry list of everything wrong with it, there will be a lot more people who look at it, maybe hear it run, and give you what you are asking.
⚠️ Last edited by Motovista on UTC; edited 1 time
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
That's okay. Someone else will buy it.
Definitely! I never said that everybody are smart..
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
I've taken test rides of every working used bike I ever bought [5]
I'm a big guy, showed up with boots, long pants, a helmet & someone to drive the car/truck home
I've taken these rides, without anything more than an assurance that I had a pocket full of money to pay
There had been a phone call, setting up a time & such
Seemed to flow right into the process of making a deal

On the seller side I'm probably on the low end of the pricing spectrum or doing a swap
The buyers didn't have that expectation, that I can remember
The last one burg 400, it was an old guy, he was intimidated by the lack of pavement, was happy enough to hear it run, see me ride it & put it on his trailer
I trust my gut, I can tell when someone is up to the task
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Definitely! I never said that everybody are smart..
In the US, someone like that is not referred to as smart or otherwise, we usually refer to them as the person who just bought my bike. ROFL emoticon
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
In the US, someone like that is not referred to as smart or otherwise, we usually refer to them as the person who just bought my bike. ROFL emoticon
My point exactly..

If he just bought your bike without trying it first, how can he be smart... Laughing emoticon

This reminds me of those people that do buy clothes or shoes without try them first at the shop and then spend hours driving back and exchange them because they simply won't fit..

It just doesn't make any sense...
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2018 Vespa 300 GTS Touring

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
I have to disagree with this statement.

Sure, there are lots of bad dishonest people out there, but they still are the minority by large..

If cash is an issue, take a friend with you or give the key and licence of the vehicle you drove there to the person while they test your scooter...

It goes without saying that: "Chi rompe paga, e i cocci sono suoi"
I agree. I have bought and sold a Vespa from Craigslist. I did not test ride the Vespa I bought and the person who bought it from me did not test ride it either, but the reason that happened was we both seemed to connect and trust without any hesitation, personalities matter and how you come across in conversation.
I bought my current Vespa from a fellow MV member, I did not test ride it either. Again in that case as well you get a gut instinct, yes there are some lousy folks out there, but I think one can filter the crap out very fast.

Be clear and transparent in your listing and you will get the right buyer.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
I agree. I have bought and sold a Vespa from Craigslist. I did not test ride the Vespa I bought and the person who bought it from me did not test ride it either, but the reason that happened was we both seemed to connect and trust without any hesitation, personalities matter and how you come across in conversation.
I bought my current Vespa from a fellow MV member, I did not test ride it either. Again in that case as well you get a gut instinct, yes there are some lousy folks out there, but I think one can filter the crap out very fast.

Be clear and transparent in your listing and you will get the right buyer.
Is up to you to take an unnecessary risk, and in your own words...
baba12 wrote:
I have gone with a gut instinct when I have bought, I have so far bought 2 Vespa's the current one I bought from a fellow MV member who was open upfront and clear in what he had to sell, the previous Vespa was listed on Craigslist, I met the person, he offered to let me ride it, I did not bother with it. My view has always been that the worst case scenario is I end up with crap & I lost a few thousand bucks, and my gut instincts have served me well thus far in trusting some folks...
Like I said, the majority of people are good and genuine, but why take the risk??
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
I just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice.

I had a dream experience with the second person who came to look at it. Looked over the whole scooter, started it up and then said "I'll take it" and handed me the asking price in cash.

Signed over the title to him, got the plates to turn in and watched him ride off with the scoot that saw me through 15 years of riding in New York.

I now have my new 75th Anniversary GTS 300 to see me through at least the NEXT 15 years!

Ciao!
@baba12 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@baba12 avatar
UTC quote
good karma. Thats wonderful. Happy safe riding on the GTS 300.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
baba12 wrote:
good karma. Thats wonderful. Happy safe riding on the GTS 300.
Thank you!
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I glad you had a good experience. I just sold my 2009 Kawasaki Versys and it went fairly well like yours. A little haggling, but I expected that and it was done in person, so it was respectful. But, usually it does not go as well, so I have learned to sift out the serious ones from the time wasters and do not reply to the latter. Good luck with the 300.
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
I was surprised by how many people messaged me to ask if it was still available and when I said it was, never responded again. Just weird.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I'm glad it went well. You meet the nicest people on a Vespa.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
I have taken a test ride on every scooter that I have purchased. That's that said, at the prices that I bought I could have purchased sight unseen and not taken too much of a beating.

Yesterday, someone put up a 2006 GTS on FB marketplace, no damage to the bike body but won't start, for $800. I offered to buy it sight unseen, from pictures only. It was already gone.
@burt37 avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 SS BB

Addicted
@burt37 avatar
GTS 300 SS BB
UTC quote
nyactor wrote:
I just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice.

I had a dream experience with the second person who came to look at it. Looked over the whole scooter, started it up and then said "I'll take it" and handed me the asking price in cash.

Signed over the title to him, got the plates to turn in and watched him ride off with the scoot that saw me through 15 years of riding in New York.

I now have my new 75th Anniversary GTS 300 to see me through at least the NEXT 15 years!

Ciao!
Excellent choice... Now introduce "name here of the new steed" to us with a nice picture, if you haven't already done so...
OP
@nyactor avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 (Pearl White)

@nyactor avatar
2006 LX150 (Pearl White)
UTC quote
Burt37 wrote:
Excellent choice... Now introduce "name here of the new steed" to us with a nice picture, if you haven't already done so...
Excellent idea. Here is the new one:
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0225s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0153s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]